Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Think we go after someone like Lynn or Cobb or just cheap out on a No. 5 guy?

I just hope they send Biagini back to the pen.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I wouldn't consider skipping on two guys with injury red flags as "cheaping out". In fact, with the money and term those two will get, I'd rather them simply reach for Darvish.

I would simply use the FA dollars on the offense to compliment and strengthen what you have. I would go cheap on a couple of 5th starter type arms. Definitely not a priority, offence is and depth

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
In retrospect that wasn't exactly a smart thing to do.

If you know a guy has a limited ceiling, why not fill that void internally? If both options have limited chances to be an above average player, why not take the one that doens't cost you $$.
The opportunity cost is minimal at that point. (Morales/Pearce - Jose I understand the signing 100%)
To complain you don't have the cap size to get shiny new toys and then to waste what money you do have on subpar fillers seems counter intuitive.

Bautista and Pearce had higher ceilings than almost anyone else available in free agency last year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm annoyed that we're back to having expected-to-be-underwhelmed offseasons again.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
There have been two non-underwhelming offseasons in the last decade and one of the exciting ones ended up being a complete disaster. Underwhelming isn't always a bad thing.

Reactions: Anthrax442

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think we all need to be patient and see what happens. Nothing has started yet. Lets give management a chance to do what they want. Then we can criticize.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Anyone want to take a stab at who we protect in the Rule 5 draft?

Blue Jays have tough calls to make on Rule 5 eligible players - Sportsnet.ca

Currently have 4 spots available;

They now have 36 occupied roster spots, and could create more space for the four or five prospects they’re expected to protect by removing players such as Chris Rowley, Harold Ramirez or non-tender candidate Tom Koehler.

Notables are Pentecost, Jansen, Tellez, Pannone, Romano, McGuire, and Rios. I'd protect Jansen, Tellez, Pannone, and McGuire. Would non-tender Koehler for Rios and potentially take Ramirez off for Pentecost. Romano isnt a big deal.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Do we need to both protecting Pentecost? He has potential, but given his injury history, I'm not sure any team will claim him.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Anyone want to take a stab at who we protect in the Rule 5 draft?

Blue Jays have tough calls to make on Rule 5 eligible players - Sportsnet.ca

Currently have 4 spots available;

Notables are Pentecost, Jansen, Tellez, Pannone, Romano, McGuire, and Rios. I'd protect Jansen, Tellez, Pannone, and McGuire. Would non-tender Koehler for Rios and potentially take Ramirez off of Pentecost. Romano isnt a big deal.

The bolded will be protected, I imagine. Romano actually has a high likelihood of getting selected, but would likely be sent back. I could see someone selected Max Power and stashing him on the DL, having him do extended sprint training and work out at their complex. Trouble is, he desperately needs AB's, and has no business sitting on an MLB roster without having a real position.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Probably the only one here but I'd be protecting Romano. Mid 90s as a starter with a slider that misses bats. Someone could throw him in the pen and enjoy ~40-50 low leverage innings out of him.

edit: andddd DJQ steals my guy, but I could see him sticking. I'm high on the guy.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Probably the only one here but I'd be protecting Romano. Mid 90s as a starter with a slider that misses bats. Someone could throw him in the pen and enjoy ~40-50 low leverage innings out of him.

edit: andddd DJQ steals my guy, but I could see him sticking. I'm high on the guy.

Lol my bad. If it was my shop, Koehler would have been non-tendered (outright released) a month ago, and he'd be protected.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The Blue Jays are the favorites to sign 15-year-old Dominican shortstop Orelvis Martinez, who scouts expect will receive the highest bonus of any player signed in next year’s July 2 international signing market, Baseball America’s Ben Badler writes (BA subscription required and recommended). Badler recently attended an MLB showcase for Dominican players and provides brief scouting breakdowns on some of the talents involved, plus the teams already connected to them in signing rumors. Besides Toronto and Martinez, the Giants, Tigers, Mariners, Rays, Indians, Royals, and Cubswere also linked to the seven other prospects featured in Badler’s report.

Not really news as it was reported in September but it was brought up on MLBTR last night.

Kevin Maitan would be a great get too if he became available as many think he will.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Here's a thought for everyone....

We need a back of the rotation pitcher, on the cheap, that can slot in as high as number 3 in our rotation. I think the Jays should go after Chris Tillman. The guy although not your prototypical ace, was just that in Baltimore's rotation the past 4 seasons. Other then last season, he produced in the AL East. His down season may give us a shot to a 1 year contract with a team option. I cannot see him netting anything more then 9 million a season on this type of deal. Is this guy worth it?

I would, if it means him as a 5th starter that has proven in the past to be able to give you 30-35 starts and 200+ innings in the difficult AL East. This would also allow us to move Biagini to the bullpen as depth for starting.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Here's a thought for everyone....

We need a back of the rotation pitcher, on the cheap, that can slot in as high as number 3 in our rotation. I think the Jays should go after Chris Tillman. The guy although not your prototypical ace, was just that in Baltimore's rotation the past 4 seasons. Other then last season, he produced in the AL East. His down season may give us a shot to a 1 year contract with a team option. I cannot see him netting anything more then 9 million a season on this type of deal. Is this guy worth it?

I would, if it means him as a 5th starter that has proven in the past to be able to give you 30-35 starts and 200+ innings in the difficult AL East. This would also allow us to move Biagini to the bullpen as depth for starting.

:skeptic:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

What is wrong?

Are you telling me that you are expecting Sanchez, Happ and Estrada to make all their starts this season? What I am saying is Tillman was the Orioles #1 for the past 4 seasons. We need someone off the hop to start in #5 hole. But that being said, our rotation is destined to miss start somewhere above the #5 spot. So Tillman to me is a candidate to fill the void when needed to. He has in the past, why not now.

Why do you make faces? Explain please

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What is wrong?

Are you telling me that you are expecting Sanchez, Happ and Estrada to make all their starts this season? What I am saying is Tillman was the Orioles #1 for the past 4 seasons. We need someone off the hop to start in #5 hole. But that being said, our rotation is destined to miss start somewhere above the #5 spot. So Tillman to me is a candidate to fill the void when needed to. He has in the past, why not now.

Why do you make faces? Explain please

At his best, Tillman was a #3/4 type. Then he lost a couple MPH off his fastball, developed a serious HR problem, stopped throwing strikes, and became one of the hardest hit pitchers in baseball.

That's why not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad