Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yep, some bad moves although I don’t agree on the Hamilton trade. So what’s the problem? Every GM in pro sports that has been in the job more than year at any level has some of those.
There is only one deal he made I wanted to puke and that was Rinaldo - I was told Neely suggested him but Sweeney agreed on the pick

I been meaning to look at that third round group

The Liles deal I did not like the 5th included although 5th round getting pissed about is a bit much

I don’t remember one other deal I would not have made off the top of my head

Reactions: Dr Hook

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
7A46CD44-8E04-41AD-9BE0-7C07A653EEED.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Dude are you serious? Team was one of the most improved teams in the NHL this season with one of the best stable of prospects and young talent in the league. Fire him for signing Some players that didn’t work out?

Agree. I've been critical of Sweeney, but as matters stand he's done a good job of retooling on the fly. NHL acquisitions can be questioned. Drafting and bringing in Cassidy solid moves. Even though, yes, I remain a Chiarelli/Julien fan.

Sweeney did blunder out of the gate, but has recovered nicely.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There is only one deal he made I wanted to puke and that was Rinaldo - I was told Neely suggested him but Sweeney agreed on the pick

The Liles deal I did not like the 5th included although 5th round getting pissed about is a bit much

I hated Ronaldo, wasn’t wild about Liles and didn’t care much for the Stafford and Stempniak deals either but they were understandable. I liked Beleskey, Backes, both Nashes, Schaller, even re-upping Jimmy Hayes seemed okay at the time. Win some lose some.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agree. I've been critical of Sweeney, but as matters stand he's done a good job of retooling on the fly. NHL acquisitions can be questioned. Drafting and bringing in Cassidy solid moves. Even though, yes, I remain a Chiarelli/Julien fan.

Sweeney did blunder out of the gate, but has recovered nicely.
When he made the Rinaldo deal I was walking my dog and I think Eric from here texted me and I looked at the dog and said ‘how the hell am I going to spin this one’

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

If you would have signed Backes for anywhere close to that Dan I just lost a little bit of respect for your hockey acumen.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/beleskey-to-boston-5-years-19m.1922339/
btw here's the thread from when Beleskey was signed. Kinda fun to go back and read years later. The vast majority of people liked the deal. @LSCII to his credit on the first page called it a huge risk and was beating the drum that he was a 1 hit wonder from the beginning. I thought Beleskey was pretty good in year 1 of the deal, but the term obviously was a mistake. that's the kind of player you go 2 years max IMO. just hadn't done enough to earn 5 years at that point.

Anyway @Brent Hughes tell us who you used to post as and I'll go see what you had to say about the signing back then...

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Sweeney has done some good and bad. The bad is all connected to playoffs. Nash was the wrong move for this team.
The bad is each of his trades and each of his signings. It's great that we've had these good drafts (Barazal) but he seems clueless at the pro level. Actually, he's probably clueless at the draft as well as someone else is likely calling those shots.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
btw here's the thread from when Beleskey was signed. Kinda fun to go back and read years later. The vast majority of people liked the deal. @LSCII to his credit on the first page called it a huge risk and was beating the drum that he was a 1 hit wonder from the beginning. I thought Beleskey was pretty good in year 1 of the deal, but the term obviously was a mistake. that's the kind of player you go 2 years max IMO. just hadn't done enough to earn 5 years at that point.

Anyway @Brent Hughes tell us who you used to post as and I'll go see what you had to say about the signing back then...

I liked the deal and was very happy with Beleskey's first season in Boston.

Got fat, got hurt, lost his confidence, and was no longer an NHL player.

But he did have 1 year where the points+intangibles met his contract.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Understanding the one hit wonder aspect of the signing, and also gross overpayment/term, I feel bad for Matt Beleskey. He was a good guy, and he wanted to come here. It didn't work out. Recall that the B's were still very much off kilter in other respects (drafting, at the time).

I wish him well.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The bad is each of his trades and each of his signings. It's great that we've had these good drafts (Barazal) but he seems clueless at the pro level. Actually, he's probably clueless at the draft as well as someone else is likely calling those shots.

A GM has to hire NHL scouts. And minor league/college, etc. scouts. I'd say the record is (surprise!) uneven. Overall, I give DS#32 a mulligan on the misses, and a clap on the back for the hits.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Understanding the one hit wonder aspect of the signing, and also gross overpayment/term, I feel bad for Matt Beleskey. He was a good guy, and he wanted to come here. It didn't work out. Recall that the B's were still very much off kilter in other respects (drafting, at the time).

I wish him well.
Looking up that thread, my instant reaction today was "HOLY SHIT FIVE YEARS?!" It's funny, the term didn't bother me at the time, but I think I've gotten smarter. You just never, EVER give that kind of term to a role-player. It was too much for Backes as well. Even if you think it's a huge need for your team in the short term, guys like that just aren't consistently good enough to be good value for that many years in a row.

With that said, I disagree to an extent that he was a 1 hit wonder...his first year here was a career year in points and he had some decent 2nd line time where he didn't look terribly out of place. If he'd been signed for 2 years and the Bruins chose to walk after that 2nd season then nobody here would have a bad thing to say about him because he'd be a distant memory.

The funny thing is I think Sweeney learned his lesson there too. He has to know now that he should have had more faith that the kids would be coming and his plan would work. I'm sure 2018 Sweeney would tell 2015 Sweeney that there's no need to give out a 5 year deal to a LW when you just drafted Jake Debrusk

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If you would have signed Backes for anywhere close to that Dan I just lost a little bit of respect for your hockey acumen.

Backes should have been 4.5 million a season max. Especially for the # of years signed

I really don't know what Sweeney was thinking. Trying too hard to replace Lucic?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Looking up that thread, my instant reaction today was "HOLY **** FIVE YEARS?!" It's funny, the term didn't bother me at the time, but I think I've gotten smarter. You just never, EVER give that kind of term to a role-player. It was too much for Backes as well. Even if you think it's a huge need for your team in the short term, guys like that just aren't consistently good enough to be good value for that many years in a row.

With that said, I disagree to an extent that he was a 1 hit wonder...his first year here was a career year in points and he had some decent 2nd line time where he didn't look terribly out of place. If he'd been signed for 2 years and the Bruins chose to walk after that 2nd season then nobody here would have a bad thing to say about him because he'd be a distant memory.

The funny thing is I think Sweeney learned his lesson there too. He has to know now that he should have had more faith that the kids would be coming and his plan would work. I'm sure 2018 Sweeney would tell 2015 Sweeney that there's no need to give out a 5 year deal to a LW when you just drafted Jake Debrusk

I suspect we could all do with hindsight & a time machine.:thumbu:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I appreciate you would have had respect for my hockey acumen enough for me to lose some.

I would have signed both Beleskey and Backes - I was proven wrong with Beleskey. I had even keyed on him live along with Palmieri during a 5-0 ? Ducks win here and he was relentless- I was impressed by his playoff run that got him 30 goals regular season and playoffs combined in under 82 games and I was on board.

Backes I’ve always loved the player although as Everett Mike cautioned me that day it’s to long a deal.

Again not trending in my favor but the last 2 years are at $4 M and he can be moved. He went through a lot including a concussion that can impact play reactions decisions etc

My hope is he adds what Callahan did to his overpay by Yzerman

As for my hockey knowledge I have some because I go to games bur 80% is schtick

I should not go off on posters when they likely know more than me about this or moreso because they have opposite views

Remer put a lot of research in showing how Sweeney is a terrible GM with I assume factual information and just because Don ‘Swing’n a miss’ Sweeney swayed my daughter into hockey I need to stop defending every move he makes

I apologize to Real Linseman, Remer, Gordon Howe, my buddy at lunch, for recent attacks Don Sweeney related

Brad Marchand isn’t the only one with character and behavioral problems. As I watched Marchand talk I could relate.

I’m hoping both Brad & myself can cut the crap and stop with the antagonist approaches

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Backes should have been 4.5 million a season max. Especially for the # of years signed

I really don't know what Sweeney was thinking. Trying too hard to replace Lucic?

I like these posts. Pretty baseless but they read like they’re The Word. Please explain Backes should have been 4.5M max. Did you just look at his previous contract? Haha

Maybe Sweeney was trying to add depth and another leadership quality player to have around the young players that he was adding to the fold.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I like these posts. Pretty baseless but they read like they’re The Word. Please explain Backes should have been 4.5M max. Did you just look at his previous contract? Haha

Maybe Sweeney was trying to add depth and another leadership quality player to have around the young players that he was adding to the fold.

The price teams pay for UFAs on July 1 is always high. Always has been and always will be. Sign someone on July 1 or shortly after, you're paying a premium

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad