Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Would you have given him the 7x7 had we brought him in at the deadline? Even if his attitude and work ethic etc. has changed, this is a guy with a pretty poor injury history being signed into his mid-30s at a pretty high cost.

No, the term is way too long...

Reactions: Dr Hook

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Would you have given him the 7x7 had we brought him in at the deadline? Even if his attitude and work ethic etc. has changed, this is a guy with a pretty poor injury history being signed into his mid-30s at a pretty high cost.

7 years is way too long. Kane agent is excellent lol

Kane should really be worth 5-6 million per season max. 5 years

I would have let him walk

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
While I think the Kane contract is an overpayment for what he brings. You have to factor in the Sharks cap situation.

They had just 3 players (Burns, Vlasic, Jones) signed to contracts past 2019-20. Now certainly they'll need space for other signings, but long-term they had their cap situation set up pretty good to add a 4th big long-term deal.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
While I think the Kane contract is an overpayment for what he brings. You have to factor in the Sharks cap situation.

They had just 3 players (Burns, Vlasic, Jones) signed to contracts past 2019-20. Now certainly they'll need space for other signings, but long-term they had their cap situation set up pretty good to add a 4th big long-term deal.

Not to mention it is doubtful Jumbo comes back at his near $7 mil. I still think the Kane signing, if it comes off, will bite them in ass down the road, though.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I do want a big bodied winger for right side with krejci... i want him only for 2-3 years. I want him for less than 4 mill

Can nash be this guy? Im ok with it... but its all about what the contract might be

I dont really want heinen of bjork or donato over there... and im unconvinced backes is the right guy

If pastrnak is in the plans to stay with bergeron then nash isnt the worst choice to play with krejci

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
the thing about the Backes deal that has always killed me is they traded a younger Lucic because they didn't want to pay him long-term because they were worried his body wouldn't hold up due to style but then signed Backes to an identical contract despite being older and having the same concerns.

I mean I guess they got a nice return on Lucic so there's that, but I'd have traded Loui and kept Lucic.

Im no insider but i try to be a student of the game... i was posting alot about how compables to lucic and eriksson dont age well at all. It was no surprise to me when bruins didnt want to commit

But then again i said same thing for marchand

Theres no 100% way of using projections to get it right every single time

As for backes... his superior level of defense and his superior play in the slot bodes well for his continued good play. Similar style players have had allstar seasons well past 35

I believe backes struggles are far more related to health than to his style

But the lucic/backes situation brings into focus an even bigger point ive championed for 25 years now. If you can sign an equal ufa for the same money as keeping a guy... and if you can at the same time make a very valuable trade with that first guy... you got to give this a ton of consideration

I mean in theory... we could have resigned lucic AND still got that haul for him too

Its a rare case that a team wouldnt come out better if they feel confident a replacement ufa is available

Look at this years ufa... if we could sign carlsson or tavares then i say its a no brainer to attempt to trade krug or krejci. I know its easier said then done

But wed be much better off with one of the new guys AND a haul

The lucic/backes deal is a deal that paid off and a reason why our rebuild was accelerated

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What do you see happening in 2-3 years that would make Nash/whomever replaceable?

Mostly i see krejci gone by then... and thus less need for a winger to fit him

I also see cap issues... and i might not want to be spending on a winger who could concievably be on the 3rd line by that time

If we do still need the guy in 2-3 years im prepared to address the need at that time. This isnt a fundamental key building block we are discussing... its a 6th forward to round out a line where the other 2 guys are more important

Reactions: Dr Hook

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I do want a big bodied winger for right side with krejci... i want him only for 2-3 years. I want him for less than 4 mill

Can nash be this guy? Im ok with it... but its all about what the contract might be

I dont really want heinen of bjork or donato over there... and im unconvinced backes is the right guy

If pastrnak is in the plans to stay with bergeron then nash isnt the worst choice to play with krejci

I don’t know if he’s ready or not but what about starting Frederic on the wing in that spot. Big bodied power forward with skill- he fits the bill. He can learn the NHL game on the wing and then move to Center when Krejci starts to slip. Debrusk-Krejci-Frederic would be closet thing we have seen to mirror the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I don’t know if he’s ready or not but what about starting Frederic on the wing in that spot. Big bodied power forward with skill- he fits the bill. He can learn the NHL game on the wing and then move to Center when Krejci starts to slip. Debrusk-Krejci-Frederic would be closet thing we have seen to mirror the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line

I don’t hate it but I would prefer to groom him at center and since Krejci is a righty have him play the wing. Do a hybrid

Debrusk-Frederic-Krejci

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

In theory i have no problem with this other than to say federic must win that spot. Hes not in a position we hand it to him on a silver platter

I dont think the odds are in favor of him being ready. It would be poor planning on our part to have no plan A.

Personally i expect both jfk and federic to see time on the wing. Even bergeron and seguin were mostly wingers their first nhl season

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The cap going up 5-10 million this year (and maybe going back to the period where it went up plenty every year like it was before oil tanking tanked the Canadian economy) makes 7 million AAV a bit different than we think it is now.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
If David Backes stated he was looking to retire or go on the LTIR, would you guys do the following:
Lucic @ 25%% retained + 10th overall for Krug?
Cap hit of 4.5mill

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The cap going up 5-10 million this year (and maybe going back to the period where it went up plenty every year like it was before oil tanking tanked the Canadian economy) makes 7 million AAV a bit different than we think it is now.

All true, especially with players now in the 10-11-12 range, 7 million today isn't what it was when say for example Krejci signed his contract.

Still this is a move they can justify whereas a team like the Bruins with so many long-term contracts on the books and upcoming I don't see how if they had traded for Kane can justify whatsoever handing him a long-term deal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If David Backes stated he was looking to retire or go on the LTIR, would you guys do the following:
Cap hit of 4.5mill

Not a chance.

No more slow players. Period. Especially one signed for 5 more years.

Not to mention as with Kane, the Bruins have absolutely zero need for natural left-wingers like Lucic.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Cap hit of 4.5mill

If I am moving Krug for a pick, I want one of the wingers and they will be gone by 7 or 8 you would think.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Not a chance.

No more slow players. Period. Especially one signed for 5 more years.

Not to mention as with Kane, the Bruins have absolutely zero need for natural left-wingers like Lucic.
I get the hatred for Lucic, he had a horrible year and realistically, he's not coming back here but I think it's fair to say that we need to add some muscle upfront. Look at Washington. JHow effective has a guy like Wilson been against every team this post season? Take a look at the West and see who's in the finals and who's the 6'2 monster on their side? Both teams, albeit both fast, have big bodies who can play, hit, fight, intimidate. Something we're severely lacking.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Cap hit of 4.5mill

No...Just no. Can we stop trying to bring this guy back, and overpay in the process? Edmonton takes this deal and runs and wishes you were GM of the Bruins for even proposing it. Backes goes to LTIR? Lets replace him with a big slow player who hits, is inconsistent offensively, and on a huge contract (4.5M for another 5 seasons....) Awesome move haha. On top of it, we'll trade a top offensive defenseman for him. 10th overall doesn't tip the scale.

I get the hatred for Lucic, he had a horrible year and realistically, he's not coming back here but I think it's fair to say that we need to add some muscle upfront. Look at Washington. JHow effective has a guy like Wilson been against every team this post season? Take a look at the West and see who's in the finals and who's the 6'2 monster on their side? Both teams, albeit both fast, have big bodies who can play, hit, fight, intimidate. Something we're severely lacking.

It's not hatred. It's the common sense that we don't need what he brings anymore. That's why we traded him.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Honestly I love Lucic and still hope he comes back next year a bit leaner and finds his game again. But I don't want to see the Bruins take that gamble.

I'm sorry I just don't see either Washington or Vegas having a bunch of players of this mold. Your talking a few guys basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad