Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
He had a rush down the right wing tonight where he skated faster then I've seen him skate in a Rangers uniform. I didn't even realize it was him because it just looked strange seeing #61 in the Rangers uni skating at warp speed. Hope he's back soon, guy was playing really well.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
The Rangers chose to honor his NTC when he was traded.

That's not how it works. It's just a verbal agreement, and while I certainly don't think the Rangers should break that agreement, it's up for interpretation whether that agreement should cover expansion drafts.

That said, the only answer I can come up with is that since his NTC is only a limited one (12-team list), he didn't technically waive it before coming to NY.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That's not how it works. It's just a verbal agreement, and while I certainly don't think the Rangers should break that agreement, it's up for interpretation whether that agreement should cover expansion drafts.

That said, the only answer I can come up with is that since his NTC is only a limited one (12-team list), he didn't technically waive it before coming to NY.

Incorrect.

Players that have NTC's that choose to waive do not waive it completely. The acquiring team can choose to honor the clause before the deal is done so the player knows what his future looks like.

Some players won't waive if the acquiring team won't honor the clause post transaction.

And no, it's not verbal.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
As far as I understand things, the Columbus-NYR trade in no way implicated Nash's current limited-NTC, which didn't vest until 2015. The Rangers had no option but to honor it under the CBA.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As far as I understand things, the Columbus-NYR trade in no way implicated Nash's current limited-NTC, which didn't vest until 2015. The Rangers had no option but to honor it under the CBA.

He had a NMC until 2015 and a NTC the rest of the contract. Under the old CBA, teams had the opportunity to not honor the future clauses in case of a trade. But it can be part of the negotiations. If Nash said he will only waive to go to NYR, if they honor his clause after the trade, there is nothing the Rangers can do if they really want him

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Teams have to honor clauses that are already active at the time of the trade, even if waived, IIRC. It's only future un-active clauses that teams can choose to not honor.

That was the whole thing with Subban and him being traded or not. He had an NMC that was to become active on July 1, 2016. So it was either Montreal hold onto him and then have to deal with his NMC in the future, or trade him before it became active and force some other team to deal with it/not honor it. In this case, Nashville decided not to honor it, so he no longer has an NMC (or any clause) on his contract.

Nash has an NMC on his contract through the whole deal, per CapFriendly. He had an upcoming MNTC starting in '15-'16, which Sather decided to honor when the trade was made.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
He had a NMC until 2015 and a NTC the rest of the contract. Under the old CBA, teams had the opportunity to not honor the future clauses in case of a trade. But it can be part of the negotiations. If Nash said he will only waive to go to NYR, if they honor his clause after the trade, there is nothing the Rangers can do if they really want him

You're correct. I had it backwards this morning. Posting before coffee should be malpractice.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Teams have to honor clauses that are already active at the time of the trade, even if waived, IIRC. It's only future un-active clauses that teams can choose to not honor.

That was the whole thing with Subban and him being traded or not. He had an NMC that was to become active on July 1, 2016. So it was either Montreal hold onto him and then have to deal with his NMC in the future, or trade him before it became active and force some other team to deal with it/not honor it. In this case, Nashville decided not to honor it, so he no longer has an NMC (or any clause) on his contract.

Nash has an NMC on his contract through the whole deal, per CapFriendly. He had an upcoming MNTC starting in '15-'16, which Sather decided to honor when the trade was made.

That is true under the current CBA, but when we traded for Nash, we were still under the old CBA (2012)

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Nash knows he's going strong this season, I suspect he's back in time for the next Hawks game, God knows we need the offense to get going.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Don't look now, but Nash is one goal shy of tying the team lead.

Great season for him so far, and it didn't look like the groin injury hindered him that much (if just going by last night)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
nash looked like the best player on the ice last night.

when he plays like that, he is. hes an animal. hes doing everything with more speed this year and coming off the wall with a purpose.

he continues to impress me. i still think he was hurt last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad