Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sign me up for another 2 yrs @ 6M total

Otherwise trade

I could deal with this kind of a contract for him. $3.5 is a little too much for him. It's not like he's lost all his offense though anyone who claims he's a legit 1st line player is really out to lunch IMO. He's a 40 point a year guy in a healthy year now. His skating is still pretty good--he's good away from the puck and good defensively. He does things that help but he's more of a support forward and to be honest I value Grabner a lot more than I value Nash.

Reactions: TheTakedown

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he still had the finish he did a few years ago he'd pot 30, no problem. It's amazing how adept he is at creating grade-A chances for himself, often out of absolutely nothing, only to shoot wide, fumble the puck at the last second or to just lob a crappy wrister right into the breadbasket. He's still a bull out there and his puck protection can be a thing of beauty.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Frustrations aside re: Nash, there's not denying the guy is talented. There's a reason he was a first overall pick and he's scored more than 400 goals in an era not exactly noted for its offense.

One could argue that he can often leave observers wanting more, but the higher end skill is still evident even as time and injuries have added up.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think it's time to move on from him. He is most likely going to want too long of a contract for too much. If he signs for 1-4-4.5M? Great, but he can get more on the market.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think it's time to move on from him. He is most likely going to want too long of a contract for too much. If he signs for 1-4-4.5M? Great, but he can get more on the market.
I don't know. There will be a market for him, but I don't think it will be filled with offers of more than a couple years. He'll be 34, and is pretty much a 20-15 guy who has problems staying healthy over a full year. Teams will be interested but I can't imagine anyone will want to give him substantial term given his declining production.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Rick Nash has made a lot of money playing hockey. His market value may be more than 1 yr, $4m, but he has the bank account. He may just want to sign a "cheap" deal somewhere and chase that elusive cup if he doesn't get one this year (lame). Jumbo is defying the odds Jagr-style, and will also hit the market this year. Do these guys finally go somewhere and play together to give each other a shot at the cup they don't have?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I like Nash. I think he is a good guy but I wish he would stop with the "Carmelo Anthony like" isolation offense. If Nash would consider passing to his open teammates I think his own offense would actually open up as well.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He hasn't scored in bunches for the Rangers since MSL was here.

I think people's ageism here really missed the value that MSL provided for Nash. If you look at that 42 goal season, MSL was the engine behind a lot of that production.

The Rangers don't have a top tier playmayer, a guy that creates chances for his teammates by breaking down the opposition... and without that type of player, Rick Nash isn't going to score 30. All-World Skill and all.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Hockey is a team game. Isolationism taking on 2-3 defenders yourself will only be effective occasionally. Much better for the team to pass the puck to the open man and move. It keeps your linemmates motivated and doesn't allow the other team to swarm on you.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
what is rick nash ?

is he a finesse guy who can snipe or is he playmaker who makes his line mates better ? neither. and he's not a ground and pound guy for sure, he doesn't score enough dirty greasy goals.

what is he ?

hes an aging, albeit still talented enough to make plays, guy who just cannot shoot with enough purpose to score on a regular basis. his shot is perhaps the weakest on the entire team.

his ability to get free and make space for himself is still impressive but he too often then attempts a shot that looks like he's shooting with a wet noodle. its frustrating to say the least.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Nash seems to be a guy who usually regresses in both play and production as a season rolls on, right? On pace for maybe 30 pts on the year?

It's probably best to get what you can for him via trade. If he wants to sign here another year even after being traded, then entertain the idea but the dollar amount would have be pretty low.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nash is still streaky, the difference is that he no longer has those huge breakout games they he used to have.

He's a talented, but flawed and aging player.

The question for the Rangers is whether the return is worth the hole that a trade creates. Because like it or not, warts and all, moving Nash does create a bit of a vacuum on a team that is still rebuilding it's prospect depth.

Last edited:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Hockey is a team game. Isolationism taking on 2-3 defenders yourself will only be effective occasionally. Much better for the team to pass the puck to the open man and move. It keeps your linemmates motivated and doesn't allow the other team to swarm on you.

I've harped about his isolation game before. It worked when he was more talented than most of the league and the defenders trying to stop him. The league has evolved. He has not, other than becoming a reliable two-way player. Rick Nash has become a kitten who still sees himself as a lion in the mirror.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's an aging third line talent at this point who plays very good defensive hockey--at least most of the time. I could see signing him again maybe but not long term and not for anywhere near what he's making now. $3 mil per would be about the limit and I'd like to do less and if his production numbers continue to stagnate as the year rolls on--less than the $3 mil would certainly be warranted.

OTOH there is also a time when you cut bait on a player especially if the player hasn't quite lived up to expectations and is seriously overpaid to boot.

If the Rangers can get a decent enough return for him I'd be moving him at the deadline. A later 1st rounder would be enough for me--or maybe even a couple 2nd rounders or a 2nd rounder/early 3rd.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I like Nash. I think he is a good guy but I wish he would stop with the "Carmelo Anthony like" isolation offense. If Nash would consider passing to his open teammates I think his own offense would actually open up as well.
Absolutely. With tighter defenses league wide and bigger/better goalies, you need to get the goalie moving with good passing leading up to the shot. Very few guys are routinely beating goalies cleanly when they shoot the puck after holding it or skating it up. Nash definitely doesn't have the shot to do that.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
See if we can get Lindberg back from Vegas. Fast - Lindbae - Nash, 2018/2019 4th line. An actual scoring threat 4 line, probably best in the league.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He's still a solid player, and should probably havemore than 9 goals, but it's time to move on unless he gives us a very friendly deal, like 2/6. And that shouldn't happen until after he's traded at the deadline.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
2 Whoppers for 6 bucks is a better deal right now than any Nash 2/6 extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad