Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not any more they don’t... Nash and Grabs should be gone... hate to lose Grabs but u get the best price for him.

Nash should’ve been gone w retention a year ago. He won’t bring a 1st so pennies on the dollar is what it is.

Like selling a pool table because u are moving... at some point u take what u can, no matter what it’s worth, because u aren’t taking it with you (real situation I’m in lol)
Not disagreeing with you at all. And include McD & Zucc. Not sure what takers there would be for Holden or even Smith at this point. But all should be explored. Not a full tear down, but retool.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
That's not how this works.

The only reason you lock a guy up to an 8 year deal is so those last years of his contract bring his cap hit down. If Columbus instead signed Nash to a 5 year deal, his AAV wouldn't have been as low as 7.8m, it'd have been closer to 9m or 10m. You need those years in negotiations with players because they know they'll slow down around age 33/34.

When you sign a player like Nash to an 8 year deal when he's 26 that takes him to age 34, there is no chance you think you're going to get 80-90+ points (this is an absurd standard) every single year of that deal. What you want to get is a player > 7.8m in value for years 1-5, and then hopefully not a total albatross in years 6-8.

Bizarro world, lmao, is expecting a player to put up 90 points 8 years in a row.

Since 2010-2011, you know how many 90+ points seasons have been posted? 11

You need to check what you think constitutes a 7.8m AAV player.

You missed a very important part of my reply ..... check the bold.

I never said he needed to be a 80-90 point forward at this point in his career. I did say he needed to pot 30-40 goals and or be a 50+ assist man to be worth his salary. One or the other, a combination of the two.....that was what i said. He hasnt been either, at any point in his career on a consistent basis. More so......

1) For a higher caliber nhl player ( bc that is what he was billed as and what he was paid as ), who is in good shape........33 years old isnt all that old. On the decline, yes, but not so old that he is barely putting up 30 something points a season and getting paid almost $8m a year to do so.
2) Reasonable expectations for nash should be in the 60-70 point range. If you think the value of an $8m forward isnt in this realm, i cant help you. Go find me all those $8 million dollar fowards who are putting 30 point seasons like nash.
3) last year he was 31, and didnt break 40 points
4) the year before that, he was 30, and didnt break 40 points.
5) see my point?

This is a bad contract and has been for 3 years now, hes not slumping, he's a complete shell of his former self and is doing virtually nothing to justify, even remotely his $8m salary......and anybody who seriously defends nash is either blind or love drunk on the guy........and yes, living in bizzaro world.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It' not just about points and goals. You can't just look at that to valuate a player unless someone is strictly a one way offensive forward who are supposed to just put up points. Nash is not, he is a great two way forward and PK'er. I hope he is still here next season. Give him a 2 or 3 year extension at a decent cap hit and it's all good.

Reactions: belford222

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It' not just about points and goals. You can't just look at that to valuate a player unless someone is strictly a one way offensive forward who are supposed to just put up points. Nash is not, he is a great two way forward and PK'er. I hope he is still here next season. Give him a 2 or 3 year extension at a decent cap hit and it's all good.

That is what he has morphed to, but he was the team's big ticket purchase to be the marquee player that puts butts in seats and points on the board. He is now the big rifle that couldn't.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That is what he has morphed to, but he was the team's big ticket purchase to be the marquee player that puts butts in seats and points on the board. He is now the big rifle that couldn't.

When he is making around 4 millon next year. Will be a better situation.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think Nash has been pretty damn good this year. He's on pace for roughly 25 goals and that number would be higher if he wasn't so snake bitten because he gets more chances than anybody on the team. He is also defensively responsible and a good PKer. He is not worth nearly 8 million but he is still a very good player and I would like to try to sign him at a discount for another 2-3 years.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think Nash has been pretty damn good this year. He's on pace for roughly 25 goals and that number would be higher if he wasn't so snake bitten because he gets more chances than anybody on the team. He is also defensively responsible and a good PKer. He is not worth nearly 8 million but he is still a very good player and I would like to try to sign him at a discount for another 2-3 years.

Cool, whatever. The Rangers, however, should trade him and hope he resigns in the offseason. Thats the way to go.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Don't buy that at all. He just can't finish with the frequency that he used to. Decline happens to every athlete as they age.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m positive we can get a 1st for him in 2018 or 19 - especially if Nash continue to put up goals and pts. - so I`m glad that AV showcase him. And it proves that Nash can still play top line TOI`s, or is`t because of lack of depth this season and Gorton hoped that Chytil could play with us? Nash has 2 pts. more than J. Fast. :)
But sometimes Nash can surprise us on rare occasions with that extraordinary goal performance last night and 3-2 lead - hopefully Nash can keep up for a while!

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't buy that at all. He just can't finish with the frequency that he used to. Decline happens to every athlete as they age.

Luck is a big factor. Grabner has all the luck now. Dude missed the net and he still scored, lol. Nash has not had them go in for him. Think they are quality shots. I don’t think regress is all the reason, maybe just a little, think it;s mostly just bad luck.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Using your money to buy lottery tickets is always a great way to become rich.
When I was a kid a girl in my homeroom family won the NY Lotto. They announced it over the school loudspeaker. If it worked for her why not for me? :D

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Luck is a big factor. Grabner has all the luck now. Dude missed the net and he still scored, lol. Nash has not had them go in for him. Think they are quality shots. I don’t think regress is all the reason, maybe just a little, think it;s mostly just bad luck.

Bad hand in tight. No finish. Tons of chances but doesn’t have the sniper/dangler finishing skill.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He just doesn't have the hands he used to, that's part of the reason he can't score as much even though he still generates a lot of individual chances. His shot is not as good as it was, but he always relied more on having the ability to beat a goalie with having good hands in tight. I think the breakaway last night was a prime example.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He just doesn't have the hands he used to, that's part of the reason he can't score as much even though he still generates a lot of individual chances. His shot is not as good as it was, but he always relied more on having the ability to beat a goalie with having good hands in tight. I think the breakaway last night was a prime example.
I understand your reasoning but that is unusual. Many goal scorers say they never lost their hands but their legs did not get them enough space to shoot anymore.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
If we just look at last year's deadline deals and leading up to, Eaves for a first, Hansen for Goldobin and a conditional pick that could've been a first and of course the Hanzal deal I have no doubt that both Nash and Grabner can land at least a first for a deadline trade but as others have said keeping them isn't so much about them individually but rather that you need to figure Miller gets an extra 2 million, Hayes gets an extra million, Skjei gets 4 million and Zucc, McD and Buch all need raises after next season. With the way Buch has been playing we could be talking about 4 million for him also.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
I don't think a great shot was ever a part of Nash's game. When he was at his best I feel like most of his goals were up close, whether they were partial breakaways or just bodying guys, or goals like this:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think a great shot was ever a part of Nash's game. When he was at his best I feel like most of his goals were up close, whether they were partial breakaways or just bodying guys, or goals like this:

It's still his hands. He can't dangle like that anymore. He used to be able to fake out for slam dunks. He rarely gets open nets like that resulting from moves.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's still his hands. He can't dangle like that anymore. He used to be able to fake out for slam dunks. He rarely gets open nets like that resulting from moves.
It feels like the last time Nash successfully deked a goalie was about 2 years ago. He has a tremendous amount of shoves into the pads though. Every goalie in the world knows what to do against Nash. Cover the bottom of the net and you're set. He has zero ability to lift the puck, which is a must if you want to score goals in this league.

Reactions: will1066

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I just feel like the skill in the game has risen to far and the parity too well balanced for Nash to take advantage of below nhl caliber players like he's done in his past. Also, the guy just cannot get any lift on his shots up close at all, it's ridiculous. And I feel like he's just lost complete confidence in his shot, hopefully the snipe from last game sees him shooting more instead of making a move up close and shoving into the goalies pads like chimp said.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One can make a case that he has never lived up to his billing. We all know about the playoff futility, however, even as we all say that he has been a good regular season player it should be noted that he has scored over 25 goals just twice and this is his 6th season. Yes, there have been injuries but both of those are factors when considering the players value when looked at what he makes a year.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016

My all-time favourite goal. For me, Nash is the most fun to watch player on Rangers. Like he gets through players with those moves, that is what I really love from hockey players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->