Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I am ok with giving Nash a moderate contract. Obviously, if it's for big money than I think the Rangers should run. That said, he's playing very well, I don't see the problem, any problem in how he's playing, other than not finishing. If he finished even 1/8 of his chances he might have 20 goals. lol

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
4.5m under the current cap. I can see Gorton giving him 5.5m if the cap goes up significantly. People will throw a fit, not realizing his ch% will be significantly lower though

I hope the cap goes up as much as they are predicting. Can def re-sign guys and still have more to spend.

If Nash gets between 4 and 5 million for an extension and this is the Rick Nash we are getting will be more than fine with it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't think anyone would not be fine with Nash for a $4-5m contract. It's not his contribution that's the problem, it's his contract and the role he's paid for. As a two-way 2nd line winger, he's excellent. He's great on the PK, he helps out the team in so many ways, he's just not a franchise player anymore. He's not an albatross out there linked to the proper contract, he's still a solid NHL player.

I hope we re-sign Nash @ $4-5m/y, because I have a feeling this team still won't be sellers.

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If a team is willing to pay Nash 7 mill a year after his last 4.25 seasons he should grab it and never look back. That would be a huge win for Rick at age 34. Do you think our front office would consider that kind of salary?

No, that`s a crazy salary for him - we can`t have Nash with market value - need a solid discount to keep him and only couple of years.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Nash is basically a top 3rd liner at this point in his career and only going to decline further as the years go on, how much would you be willing to pay someone that on a 4 year contract? I wouldn't be going over 3.5M. So he can walk.

Reactions: Ori and bl02

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nash is basically a top 3rd liner at this point in his career and only going to decline further as the years go on, how much would you be willing to pay someone that on a 4 year contract? I wouldn't be going over 3.5M. So he can walk.

Only 96 players scored 20+ goals last season, Nash being one of them. That's 3 per team. But Nash is a 3rd liner. Sure.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So?

Grabner scored 27, I guess that makes him a 1st liner.

:rolleyes:

It makes both Grabner and Nash more than just 3rd liners.

Yes, Grabner played a bottom-6 role for years but in the past he has scored 20+ goals several times. Same goes for Nash. Saying Nash is a 3rd liner is ridiculous.

We can go by points... 150 forwards got 38 points (Nash' totals) or more last season.

Or maybe P/GM since he missed a bunch of games with injury. Nash had a .57 P/GM, which 132nd overall among forwards last season. That's top-6 production no matter how you look at it. Combine that with his stellar defensive play, his PK minutes and you see why calling him a 3rd liner is ridiculous. People criticize him because of his cap hit, fine. But saying he is a 3rd liner is just insane

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It makes both Grabner and Nash more than just 3rd liners.

Yes, Grabner played a bottom-6 role for years but in the past he has scored 20+ goals several times. Same goes for Nash. Saying Nash is a 3rd liner is ridiculous.

So Grabner is now a 2nd liner too? Oh jeeze. I'm done here.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don’t understand the terminology of a 2nd or 3rd, or even 4th liner for that matter. HF has really clouded that for me. I have always though that a 2nd liner and 3rd liner are pretty similar, but a 3rd liner is a little better on the defensive end, and a 2nd liner a little better on the offensive end. A 3rd liner you can expect around 2o to 30 points without PP time, and about 3o to 40 for a 2nd liner without PP production taken into the totals.

To me Nash is a middle six forward, which means I think he is good enough to play on both lines given his two way play.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t understand the terminology of a 2nd or 3rd, or even 4th liner for that matter. HF has really clouded that for me. I have always though that a 2nd liner and 3rd liner are pretty similar, but a 3rd liner is a little better on the defensive end, and a 2nd liner a little better on the offensive end. A 3rd liner you can expect around 2o to 30 points without PP time, and about 3o to 40 for a 2nd liner without PP production taken into the totals.

To me Nash is a middle six forward, which means I think he is good enough to play on both lines given his two way play.

I agree with this.

But I think over the next 4 years (after this year), he will continue to decline and be relied on as a 3rd liner. People go crazy here with goal totals to determine what line player they are.

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with this.

But I think over the next 4 years (after this year), he will continue to decline and be relied on as a 3rd liner. People go crazy here with goal totals to determine what line player they are.

I think you give him a 2 year deal, maybe 3 tops. But at a 4 million cap hit and with the cap expecting to really go up, its less of a risk. Even if he is a 4th liner towards the end of it, if he’s effective, 4 million cap hit is a lot easier to swallow than a middle six guy making nearly 8 million.

Reactions: Ori

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think you give him a 2 year deal, maybe 3 tops. But at a 4 million cap hit and with the cap expecting to really go up, its less of a risk. Even if he is a 4th liner towards the end of it, if he’s effective, 4 million cap hit is a lot easier to swallow than a middle six guy making nearly 8 million.
I'd take him on a 2 year deal , but he knows this is going to be his last big contract so I assume he is going to try and get at least 4 years, if not with us then with someone else.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree with this.

There's more to goal totals, and I pointed that out. But, whatever. Nash is a 3rd liner now. Because he will obviously decline to being as bad as Darroll Powe.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
A cap-hit around 6 or 7% for Nash would be good value.
Nash has been my favorite player since I was a child and he's the reason I'm a Rangers fan lol so realistically I'd pay anything to keep him, but I was looking at our rosters cap breakdown and thought in comparison 5 is a fair price. We do have a few guys who've taken discounts to play here (Zucc, Shatty) and I'd like to think Nash would do the same :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nash has been my favorite player since I was a child and he's the reason I'm a Rangers fan lol so realistically I'd pay anything to keep him, but I was looking at our rosters cap breakdown and thought in comparison 5 is a fair price. We do have a few guys who've taken discounts to play here (Zucc, Shatty) and I'd like to think Nash would do the same :)

5m AAV would be 6.6% of the current salary cap at 75m.

Which is basically down the middle of what I want. If the cap goes up to 80m (Which Bettman mentioned) that same CH% would come down to 5.28m AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille