Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He’s produced like one in the past. He’s producing like one now.

Production matters, not what line EA sports has him on this year.

Sure, I guess that would be true if someone didn't watch games and just goes by the stat sheet.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Three options:

1. Nash goes for money and term. Like $6m per for 4 years. Easy. His option but he's made a lot of money in his career to make it a determining factor.
2. Nash goes to an overwhelming perceived contender like Pens or Bolts for a very deep discount a la Karia / Selanne to Colorado. Possible but you'd normally expect it from a player who's been on a struggling team for awhile.
3. He resigns with the Rangers for a reasonable discount that would make sense from a cap perspective. $4.5m - $5m for 3 years.

The last option will be figured out first if the team gets a offer of a ready-made soon-to-be top6 prospect and a first round pick or more.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Sure, I guess that would be true if someone didn't watch games and just goes by the stat sheet.

The stat sheet is a huge part of what determines a players offensive value. Malkin isn’t a 2nd line center because he’s been on the 2nd line his entire career.

The entire history of the NHL is littered with guys who played on higher or lower lines than their talent or production suggested out of necessity or simply because that’s where they best fit.

Grabner would probably be playing in the top six on quite a few teams. Actually he’d be the leading scorer of a few teams. Hell he would have been the leading scorer of a few teams last season. For f***s sake he was almost our leading scorer.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes true Miller & Zucc are not typical 3rd line players when they are playing with quality the last couple of games more like 2nd liners, but Rangers with high talent have too many 2nd liners, and too few true 1st liners - borderline Mika & Zucc are 1st liners based on his pts. production the last 3 seasons, and now Zib point pr game this season, but Mika has history of going cold so we will see how long he can keep it up, and he get 1st line PP minutes as well.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Three options:

1. Nash goes for money and term. Like $6m per for 4 years. Easy. His option but he's made a lot of money in his career to make it a determining factor.
2. Nash goes to an overwhelming perceived contender like Pens or Bolts for a very deep discount a la Karia / Selanne to Colorado. Possible but you'd normally expect it from a player who's been on a struggling team for awhile.
3. He resigns with the Rangers for a reasonable discount that would make sense from a cap perspective. $4.5m - $5m for 3 years.

The last option will be figured out first if the team gets a offer of a ready-made soon-to-be top6 prospect and a first round pick or more.

That, in my opinion, is NOT a discount at all. If we were to resign Nash, I would hope it'd be on an Eric Staal type of contract. 3 x $3.5m. Nash seeking too much more than that would be easy to walk away from.

Reactions: Lion Hound

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I hope the cap goes up as much as they are predicting. Can def re-sign guys and still have more to spend.

If Nash gets between 4 and 5 million for an extension and this is the Rick Nash we are getting will be more than fine with it.

Rick Nash isn’t in a contract year for the last lucrative or any NHL contract he will have this lifetime, so I have no hesitation going all in on him.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I agree with this.

But I think over the next 4 years (after this year), he will continue to decline and be relied on as a 3rd liner. People go crazy here with goal totals to determine what line player they are.

That’s why I keep stressing moving Lundqvist into net or the 4th line in the playoffs cuz that Swede can not score for beans.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
You could probably count the players that made more money then Nash at this stage of the game on your hands. I believe the number to be north of 91 million at the end of this season.

With that said, if I hometown discount appears in the 5mil per season range, the NYR should steer clear. If a E Staal type like mentioned earlier in this thread, then they should strongly consider.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That fact remains that whether you are for or against moving Nash, the Rangers would have to (theoretically) fill a 20 goal, 40 point hole on the wings - regardless of what line Nash is playing on.

Nash isn't the 40, or even 30 goal player he once was. But even in today's NHL, losing/acquiring a 20/40, two-way winger comes with a cost.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
That fact remains that whether you are for or against moving Nash, the Rangers would have to (theoretically) fill a 20 goal, 40 point hole on the wings - regardless of what line Nash is playing on.

Nash isn't the 40, or even 30 goal player he once was. But even in today's NHL, losing/acquiring a 20/40, two-way winger comes with a cost.

Chytil @ wing doesn't sound like a terrible option

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
With that said, if I hometown discount appears in the 5mil per season range, the NYR should steer clear. If a E Staal type like mentioned earlier in this thread, then they should strongly consider.
Again, it all depends on your view of the team. Or should be. If you do not view this team as a Cup contender, then he should be moved.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's such a good player; if only the price was lower.

I'm really hoping to bring him back at a discount.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We`ve 5 RFA signings, Vesey, Miller, Skjei, Hayes, and Nieves.
6 UFA Pavelec, Nash, DD, Grabner, Carey, Holden.

Not sure how we can fit all those bolded players within our cap limit without moving someone for ELC future - Skjei`s agent will maybe demand like 5 mil $ 1st pick - playing like a future allstar?

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I don't understand how Nash isn't putting up more points. I feel like we defend him every year by talking about how snakebitten he is and how great his 200 ft. game is, but even so, his lack of offensive production is baffling to me. He seems to create 2-3 high danger scoring chances out of thin air every game, and somehow the goals just don't follow. Does anyone keep track of a stat for scoring percentage on high-danger chances for skaters?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't understand how Nash isn't putting up more points. I feel like we defend him every year by talking about how snakebitten he is and how great his 200 ft. game is, but even so, his lack of offensive production is baffling to me. He seems to create 2-3 high danger scoring chances out of thin air every game, and somehow the goals just don't follow. Does anyone keep track of a stat for scoring percentage on high-danger chances for skaters?
I know I'm going to be bashed but as a coach I do not always agree with the 200 foot label for Nash. I often see him change on the way back while the other team is attacking. I also rarely see him go back in to our own corners to help our defense when they are being bodied off the puck. That doesn't mean Nash is not a good player nor a good defensive player. I just disagree with the 200 foot label at times.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I dont think there is another player on the roster who gets the high quality scoring chances on a game by game basis that Nash gets.He just cant finish those chances or he could easily have 15+ goals by now.Really is a shame too because hes playing his ass off every night-just cant bury the biscuit

Reactions: bl02

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know Nash is not producing up to par with his contract but you have to be impressed with his game while not scoring many goals. For years we'd rail on Rangers who were finesse and would disappear when they're not scoring (actually Gaborik was like that) and here we have a finesse guy that has enough heart to still be an impact player. If there were no cap he'd be a fan favorite.

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I know Nash is not producing up to par with his contract but you have to be impressed with his game while not scoring many goals. For years we'd rail on Rangers who were finesse and would disappear when they're not scoring (actually Gaborik was like that) and here we have a finesse guy that has enough heart to still be an impact player. If there were no cap he'd be a fan favorite.

I don't remember many games where Nash took the night off. For an $8mil player, he busts his a$$ like a grinder out there.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't remember many games where Nash took the night off. For an $8mil player, he busts his a$$ like a grinder out there.
I have to admit this is true. Also impressive considering the history of concussions hes had. I think we just have to come to the fact he's not an elite goal scorer anymore but he still plays all three zones pretty much every night and that says a lot in professional sports where consistent effort sometimes is questioned.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I know I'm going to be bashed but as a coach I do not always agree with the 200 foot label for Nash. I often see him change on the way back while the other team is attacking. I also rarely see him go back in to our own corners to help our defense when they are being bodied off the puck. That doesn't mean Nash is not a good player nor a good defensive player. I just disagree with the 200 foot label at times.

He must take the shortest shifts in the league. I feel like he is always the first player off the ice.

That said I can't complain about his work ethic. Especially this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->