Player Discussion Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Nash is a garbage goal scorer at this point. Rarely beats guys one on one anymore and his shot has fallen off significantly. Also has problems staying healthy. I'd rather use his money to cover raises to our younger players.

Reactions: Ori

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd take Nash @ 4m for 3 years. I'd also trade him at the deadline for whatever they can get.

In saying that, if the Rangers approach Nash about being moved and he offers to sign a sweeter deal in return for not being traded do they do it? For example if his asking price is $4.5m x 4 and he is willing to take $4m x 3 in return for not being traded, what do you do?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nash is a garbage goal scorer at this point. Rarely beats guys one on one anymore and his shot has fallen off significantly. Also has problems staying healthy. I'd rather use his money to cover raises to our younger players.

He is quite easily one of this teams best 2-way players. The ice is consistently tilted in the Rangers favor when he is out there. He consistently wins pucks and retrieves pucks when the team doesn't have it. He scores ~20g and 20-25a. That's a valuable player.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
nash isnt without value at all.

on this team playing primarily 3rd line minutes and pk, and at 4 mil per, he's a solid piece to a very good team. thats @ 50% less $$ for a guy in the 30-40 point range. acceptable.

but for what he gets minutes wise and how much he's paid right now, he's a boat anchor.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’d bring him back for 3.5 ..... he can get more but according to that post article today it sounds like he really wants to stay

Think the Rangers can squeeze around 4 million. Def would be worth that contract. On pace for over 20 goals again, and a .50 PPG clip and a solid two way player.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nash has turned it around a bit lately. The Rangers need to inflate his trade value. And in doing so, they can't be fooled that he will be a key cog in an "anything can happen" playoff run this season. He must be traded.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Random Nash thoughts/responses

1. The Rangers are not trading Nash if they are in the playoffs, unless its a lateral move a la Gaborik. The Rangers, even more than other organization, like money. Especially playoff money. I am not advocating they keep Nash, but that is likely the reality. The Rangers wont do anything to hurt a potential playoff appearance or run. Any ideas to the contrary is EA Sports wishful thinking.

2. Nash's play hasn't improved at all recently. The puck is just going in. He wasn't going to be shooting 1/3 of his normal shooting percentage the entire season. His shooting percentage is still low but closer to normal and hes now on pace for ~27 goals. Honestly with the amount of in-close chances he's had he should double digit goals already, even with his limp shot.

3. 20 goals is not tweener territory any more. Its 2nd line production and its closer to 1st line than 3rd line. The last 4 years the league has average about 98 20 goal scorers, or about 3 per team. He is also not really a true 20 goal scorer, he just never plays a full season anymore. So what he gives you is going to vary from year to year, perhaps wildly vary depending on his health. It will be contingent on the teams assessment of his health risks, but I would assume Nash is easily worth 4 million a year, if not here then somewhere.

4. Nash has been fine in the playoffs since '14. His post season is as predictable as his regular season; if he is healthy than he produces. If you are really still hung up on the cup run then go back in time and wrap some bubble wrap around his head. I don't know what else to tell you. Either way, assuming he wont produce in the playoffs is nonsensical. He was one of our best players during the '15 run.

5. Nash was never a Crosby/Ovie level player when he was in Columbus but he was an elite scorer. He led the league in goals his sophomore year. He was top 10 in total goals scored during his tenure in CBJ, top 5 when discounting his rookie season. He was both a prolific producer and someone who was entertaining to watch; his goal against Phoenix would probably be the reigning goal of the century if not for Ovie's goal, comically enough also against Phoenix. So as compelling as the "Lulz he sux y peeps no h8 him??" argument is, that's the reason why peeps no h8 him.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
$4m for a 20 goal scoring 2nd/3rd line tweener whose offense evaporates in the playoffs?

As much as his 13-14 failure will forever haunt me, since then this just isn't true.
From 14-15 until now Nash is 1st on the team in playoff points, tied for 2nd in goals and tied for first in assists.
In per game stats (excluding Diaz and his one game) he's 4th in goals, tied 4th in assists and 3rd in points.
He also leads the team in both overall number and per game shot attempts by a country-mile.

Is that brilliant? No. Would you like more for $7.8m? Yes. But for a '2nd/3rd line tweener', it's pretty good numbers, and if he could produce at similar rate on $4m for 2 years it would be nice deal. If Nash's production evaporates in the playoffs, it's certainly no more than any other player not named Brassard, or potentially Mika

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'd take Nash @ 4m for 3 years. I'd also trade him at the deadline for whatever they can get.

In saying that, if the Rangers approach Nash about being moved and he offers to sign a sweeter deal in return for not being traded do they do it? For example if his asking price is $4.5m x 4 and he is willing to take $4m x 3 in return for not being traded, what do you do?

Trade him. Now

Reactions: mike14

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think if Nash keeps playing like this, he has def earned an extension, obviously nowhere close to his current cap hit. But if the Rangers feel they cannot go on a deep playoff run, then trade him at the TDL but explain to him what’s going on and that they would like him back next year. I am sure he’d be willing to go to a contender for a shot at the cup and then come back to NY since he likes it here. If this team is somewhat rebuilding you still want to have some of that veteran presence, and Nash is a good fit with that and his leadership. Not sure if I’m making sense or not. Lol.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Think the Rangers can squeeze around 4 million. Def would be worth that contract. On pace for over 20 goals again, and a .50 PPG clip and a solid two way player.

I do think solid 2-way player is a bit of a understatement. Nash is better than solid defensively. I think he's above average / good and a legitimate threat on the rush when PKing.

Reactions: belford222 and Ori

member 116805

Sounds more like Hagelin, with that 4m AAV. Aside from the 20 goals. And Nash is better in every way than Hagelin aside from raw speed.
And board work which Nash has zero of. Every time Nash has the puck it's turned over some way or another, either but a weak shot or cause he holds on to it too long and gets stopped
Hags is (was) a superb board worker and perfect for cycling. Nash can't even ride a bike compared to Hags.
I'm no stat guy but I'd love to see their possession numbers compared

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
If Gorton is going to nickel and dime Nash like he probably should with raises incoming, I think he'll go elsewhere. He's always been good with the media but there will be more money offered elsewhere with far less media pressure than NY. As long as he's here even on a new contract he'll be graded against what was traded for him and judged like "the guy" he was brought here to be.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
the people saying they won't take nash at 4m are completely delusional.

He'll fetch 5-5.5 on the open market if it comes to that

Reactions: belford222

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
the people saying they won't take nash at 4m are completely delusional.

He'll fetch 5-5.5 on the open market if it comes to that

4 million is the minimal I think he will be worth. Not 7 or 8 million anymore, but could very well see around 5 million. He has been very good this season, but you look at a 8 million cap hit people always want more for that kind of cap hit. If we trade him at the TDL, do we lose any chance to get him back next season? I for one hope he stays. I've kinda jumped on the defending Nash bandwagon the last two seasons. lol.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nash I'll get 6 to 7 mil on the open market...caps going way up
If a team is willing to pay Nash 7 mill a year after his last 4.25 seasons he should grab it and never look back. That would be a huge win for Rick at age 34. Do you think our front office would consider that kind of salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad