OT: Rick Dipietro

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Only in his own mind.

I remember those games he lost for us because he just had to come out of the crease to be the 3rd defenseman.

Yeah.... It is all coming back. Then there is the "I am the only goaltender" thing. I really wish he would start his broadcasting life anew for some other club. He is like the tomb of Lenin, always there.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
And everyone is so quick to dismiss Luongo's shenanigans when he was here.

DP isn't saying anything different about Luongo than what fans have echoed, even those on his own team. He choked out with a great Vancouver squad and he couldn't even hold leads against us. He's not a primetime goalie at all and sure he'll get those 500 wins, and he'll most likely be happy with that which is what separates him from the truly elite goaltenders.

Most successful athletes have a certain amount of swagger and egotistical air about them. Gretzky, Lemieux, Jordan, Muhammad Ali. I don't say they did that after they were superstars. They were pretty arrogant from the day they set foot on the ice, ring, court. Many psychologists say it even takes a borderline personality disorder to become an elite professional athlete due to the laser like focus and attitude.

When DP was healthy he was absolutely a force to reckon with and those thinking otherwise are delusional. As for guessing what could have been, I don't play those games.

The worst thing he did was go look at an apartment on game day and milbury bashed him on it. Which is hardly a big deal. Rookie mistake.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
To the extent known to the public, like any other player. Not everything is known to the fans and nor should it.

It's the first time I ever heard anyone claim he was an issue. He's been in the league 15 years and while he's quirky you don't ever hear of him being an issue.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Howie's the play by play guy - that takes some real skill. No chance Ricky takes over his spot. If you wanna bump Butch off and replace him with DP, we can talk.

Let King Jump tv doing Play by play....Rick is fine for Color as you say in place of Butch

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
And everyone is so quick to dismiss Luongo's shenanigans when he was here.

Like what? Spit on the sidewalk? Messier took a dump in the Stanley Cup and no one bats an eye. Luongo gets an apartment and everyone loses their minds? LOL!

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
The worst thing he did was go look at an apartment on game day and milbury bashed him on it. Which is hardly a big deal. Rookie mistake.

Yeah, really. Denis Potvin missed the bus to his first game for crying out loud!

Milbury made emotional decisions, a big part of the reason why he was as bad as he was.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Only in his own mind.

Apparently, he was a force in the weight room. He's probably passed that Josh Bailey thought of the chains before he did. Rick's been thinking, "That should be my hot body on thone memes"

I hate Rick DiPietro, boy, did he suck!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

He's joking but behind his humor you can tell there is pain. I don't know how any islander fan can hate this guy. He bled royal blue and orange and wanted to be here and win here. Not 1 single person wouldn't have accepted 15 years of security and multi million dollar deal.

He should have retired a few years before he actually did but the guy wanted to live up to the contract. His body wasnt able to handle it and yet he would still push it. Surgery after surgery. Rehab after rehab. That's not easy. He had the same hip surgeries my 70 year old grandpa had. He was in his 20's.

I'll always admire Ricky and be a fan of his. He didn't quit, his body did.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
He's joking but behind his humor you can tell there is pain. I don't know how any islander fan can hate this guy. He bled royal blue and orange and wanted to be here and win here. Not 1 single person wouldn't have accepted 15 years of security and multi million dollar deal.

He should have retired a few years before he actually did but the guy wanted to live up to the contract. His body wasnt able to handle it and yet he would still push it. Surgery after surgery. Rehab after rehab. That's not easy. He had the same hip surgeries my 70 year old grandpa had. He was in his 20's.

Will Mets fans hate david wright ? He certainly can't play anymore but keeps going out there
To me this is similar . SIMILAR !!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

100% agree. Always acknowledged the fans and always wanted to make them happy. Guy showed amazing perseverance and drive. Just glad he didn't have to leave the sport entirely.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Will Mets fans hate david wright ? He certainly can't play anymore but keeps going out there
To me this is similar . SIMILAR !!

I wanted him gone last year. Thought Murphy should have been your third baseman to start this year.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
A guy serves hot dogs to fans and everyone loses their minds. It's just the way it is here....

That was embarrassing. Serving hot dogs to fans? Typical bush league Isles.

I don't know how any islander fan can hate this guy.

He didn't quit, his body did.

Hate is a strong word. I reserve that for Rangers (and Bailey).

His mouth and ego was consistently bigger than his talent and ability. He was well aware that he wasn't ready for play, yet insisted/lied to the medical staff and told them that he was.

(And I didn't even mention anything about his infuriating play and wandering out the crease and allowing 45'ers in.. That shows maturity!)

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

DRINK!!!!!! :laugh:

I dont care about his passion.. He was given a monster contract. What did you expect him to do? Pull an Iron Sheik and spit on the Isles uniform screaming Iran #1????!?!

Look if my employer gave me a 15 yr deal guaranteed I would be the biggest company guy youve ever seen!

I hated the Rick show when he was here.. I hated when he threw shaving cream on Papineaus face during the game.

I pulled an old article of DP in 2004 - http://nypost.com/2004/04/07/dipietro-could-be-talk-of-playoffs/

Title: he could be the talk of the playoffs.. But thats all Rick Dipietro ever was.. JUST TALK!!

But I am glad he bled Orange and Blue. We were a laughing stock with him on the team. I want nothing with him at all but sadly I dont make those decisions.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Only in his own mind.

He had one or two seasons where he showed that he could be at the very least a competent #1 goaltender. What idiot wouldn't take a 15 year contract? DiPietro was selfish, immature dick, but as he's aged and adjusted to life without hockey, he's a nice guy. We all mature at different rates. I look back at myself at 29, I'm a completely different person at 33. Who knows. I finally accepted I wasn't good at sales, I'm getting a second degree in economics, and hope to get into an elite MBA program in finance. Why didn't I realize this at 25? Who knows.

One thing about Rick, especially on Hahn and Humpty is he is brutally honest about his career. He also tells great stories about his time with the Islanders. He actually said he planned his day with the cup on Long Island. He does bleed Islanders orange and blue.

He's a great guy whose career got derailed by injuries, and found a second calling. I respect him and I like him.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
His mouth and ego was consistently bigger than his talent and ability. He was well aware that he wasn't ready for play, yet insisted/lied to the medical staff and told them that he was.

(And I didn't even mention anything about his infuriating play and wandering out the crease and allowing 45'ers in.. That shows maturity!)

That used to make me tear my hair out. He never got over it either. He reduced it towards the end, but his insistence on playing when he couldn't even get off the ice without pulling on the crossbar of the goal... do you remember that?

I am sorry, it is absolutely pathetic when a guy who is obviously handicapped past the ability to play puts himself before the team/forces the club to play him when his medical issues lead to losses. That is not a team player. That is a "me" player. It was always about Rick in his head and likely still is.

IMO, it would still be in the club's and his best interest to go do sound for some other team. His presence and giant ego are a distraction even now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad