OT: Rick Dipietro

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Stan Fischler is a train buff and has written books about the New York City subway system. Someone I knew in college was one of Fischler's interns in the early 1980s said Stan lives on the Upper West Side and never had a car. He always relied on rides to the Coliseum and to Devils games when they played at the Meadowlands.

The Times just recently did a piece about him and his recent move within the UWS. Also mentioned that his wife just passed away, which I didn't realize. The guy is an avid biker too. I've been keeping an eye out for him as he doesn't live too far from me. I envision getting run over by some old man, about to get real mad at him and then realize its him and then just give him a hug.

edit: Here it is http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/realestate/stan-fischler-hockey-maven-at-home.html?_r=0

Last edited:

BroadwayJay*

The Times just recently did a piece about him and his recent move within the UWS. Also mentioned that his wife just passed away, which I didn't realize. The guy is an avid biker too. I've been keeping an eye out for him as he doesn't live too far from me. I envision getting run over by some old man, about to get real mad at him and then realize its him and then just give him a hug.

Totally unrelated but I'm 90% sure I saw Michael Fassbender on a bicycle on my way to court this morning.

This city is so weird sometimes.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

edit: Here it is http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/realestate/stan-fischler-hockey-maven-at-home.html?_r=0

Thanks for the link. It looks like he hasn't changed in 35 years.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Thanks for posting this.

Interesting comments re: Luongo...

But injuries aside, DiPietro at his peak is still an inferior goalie to Luongo.

"The problem was you get drafted first overall, they they trade Roberto Luongo. Listen, Roberto Luongo hasn't won a Stanley Cup, he's been on a couple of different teams, he's not a loyal guy. That's fine. You can say he's better than me and he probably is. But the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup. He hasn't won one, I didn't win one."

He shouldnt be comparing himself to Luongo in any way, shape or form. Luongo isnt a loyal guy, b/c he has switched teams?

Stupid comment.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Dipietro is like a case of herpes that as a fan base we are plagued with and arent going away. I dont care that he "bleeds orange and blue" I personally want him to go and never come back.

Roberto Luongo on his worst day is still better then Dipietro on his best.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Dipietro is like a case of herpes that as a fan base we are plagued with and arent going away. I dont care that he "bleeds orange and blue" I personally want him to go and never come back.

Roberto Luongo on his worst day is still better then Dipietro on his best.

They have different jobs now. Luongo is an NHL goalie, DiPietro is a radio/TV personality. I don't know that Luongo would be better at what DiPietro does now. What he used to do, yes.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
They have different jobs now. Luongo is an NHL goalie, DiPietro is a radio/TV personality. I don't know that Luongo would be better at what DiPietro does now. What he used to do, yes.

why would Luongo want to be a TV Personality? Hes an allstar/borderline Hall of Fame goalie. He has 3-4 yrs more in the tank and will get to 500 wins. Rick Dipietro is a hack.. I dont care for him. I dont watch his show nor listen to him on air. I hate when he talks during intermission and its frustrating to no end that even after his retirement he still comes back here and is just as annoying.

That 2000 draft was the day that set this franchise back!!

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
why would Luongo want to be a TV Personality? Hes an allstar/borderline Hall of Fame goalie. He has 3-4 yrs more in the tank and will get to 500 wins. Rick Dipietro is a hack.. I dont care for him. I dont watch his show nor listen to him on air. I hate when he talks during intermission and its frustrating to no end that even after his retirement he still comes back here and is just as annoying.

That 2000 draft was the day that set this franchise back!!

I agree with you on the draft. Made no sense to trade luongo and pass on gaborik and heatley.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL Rick just compared the Cavs running into the hot Warriors as himself running into Khabibulin in the playoffs. Uh dude, you allowed like 3-4 goals every game you lost, its not like you lost 1-0.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The problem was you get drafted first overall, they they trade Roberto Luongo. Listen, Roberto Luongo hasn't won a Stanley Cup, he's been on a couple of different teams, he's not a loyal guy. That's fine. You can say he's better than me and he probably is. But the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup. He hasn't won one, I didn't win one.

Lately I'd been getting soft on little Rickie. I hope he has luck on the broadcasting end of things. Then I read something like this and all of my sympathy blows away. It is always about him in the end. The rest of the article draws me in and shows a side I can respect, but really there was no reason to go down the road of trashing Luongo. Here is a fact, Luongo could still win a cup. He left that little nugget out, and some of the rumors surrounding why his body just e'sploded on him...

And how long did this team bend over backwards trying to wait out his recovery? How many games did this club lose trying to show him he was done? Yup, all comes back when I read comments like this from him.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
LOL Rick just compared the Cavs running into the hot Warriors as himself running into Khabibulin in the playoffs. Uh dude, you allowed like 3-4 goals every game you lost, its not like you lost 1-0.

He allowed 3 goals in every loss and had one shutout. A respectable 2.18 GAA. Khabibulin on the other hand had three shutouts in that series and a GAA of under .100.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He allowed 3 goals three time, 2 goals once and had one shutout. A respectable 2.18 GAA. Khabibulin on the other hand had three shutouts in that series and a GAA of under .100.

That was the series where the whole Isles team decided to play perimeter hockey and no one wanted to go to the dirty areas of the ice. The forwards lost that series for them.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
That was the series where the whole Isles team decided to play perimeter hockey and no one wanted to go to the dirty areas of the ice. The forwards lost that series for them.

You expect Kvasha and Yashin to go into the dirty areas? :laugh:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
You expect Kvasha and Yashin to go into the dirty areas? :laugh:

If I remember incorrectly, those were two of the hardest nosed players we ever had. Always going to the dirty areas, willing to do whatever it takes to put that puck in the net.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lately I'd been getting soft on little Rickie. I hope he has luck on the broadcasting end of things. Then I read something like this and all of my sympathy blows away. It is always about him in the end. The rest of the article draws me in and shows a side I can respect, but really there was no reason to go down the road of trashing Luongo. Here is a fact, Luongo could still win a cup. He left that little nugget out, and some of the rumors surrounding why his body just e'sploded on him...

And how long did this team bend over backwards trying to wait out his recovery? How many games did this club lose trying to show him he was done? Yup, all comes back when I read comments like this from him.

With the amount of money Wang owed DP, not to mention any personal feelings Chuckie had for him, is it any wonder they waited as long as they did before they pulled the plug on him?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If I remember incorrectly, those were two of the hardest nosed players we ever had. Always going to the dirty areas, willing to do whatever it takes to put that puck in the net.

100% true. Especially Kvasha. He was even willing to go into the smoking section to have a cigarette in between periods.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
With the amount of money Wang owed DP, not to mention any personal feelings Chuckie had for him, is it any wonder they waited as long as they did before they pulled the plug on him?

Except that is not how respectable franchises are run. Charlie's pets helped to turn us into a laughingstock.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
And everyone is so quick to dismiss Luongo's shenanigans when he was here.

DP isn't saying anything different about Luongo than what fans have echoed, even those on his own team. He choked out with a great Vancouver squad and he couldn't even hold leads against us. He's not a primetime goalie at all and sure he'll get those 500 wins, and he'll most likely be happy with that which is what separates him from the truly elite goaltenders.

Most successful athletes have a certain amount of swagger and egotistical air about them. Gretzky, Lemieux, Jordan, Muhammad Ali. I don't say they did that after they were superstars. They were pretty arrogant from the day they set foot on the ice, ring, court. Many psychologists say it even takes a borderline personality disorder to become an elite professional athlete due to the laser like focus and attitude.

When DP was healthy he was absolutely a force to reckon with and those thinking otherwise are delusional. As for guessing what could have been, I don't play those games.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
And everyone is so quick to dismiss Luongo's shenanigans when he was here.

DP isn't saying anything different about Luongo than what fans have echoed, even those on his own team. He choked out with a great Vancouver squad and he couldn't even hold leads against us. He's not a primetime goalie at all and sure he'll get those 500 wins, and he'll most likely be happy with that which is what separates him from the truly elite goaltenders.

Most successful athletes have a certain amount of swagger and egotistical air about them. Gretzky, Lemieux, Jordan, Muhammad Ali. I don't say they did that after they were superstars. They were pretty arrogant from the day they set foot on the ice, ring, court. Many psychologists say it even takes a borderline personality disorder to become an elite professional athlete due to the laser like focus and attitude.

When DP was healthy he was absolutely a force to reckon with and those thinking otherwise are delusional. As for guessing what could have been, I don't play those games.

I wouldn't have compared myself to Luongo if I was in Ricky's shoes though. It does, however, fit well with the TV persona he is trying to build.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
People shouldn't hate on DiPietro because he was Milbury's mistake, he excelled when he was healthy and did what was asked of him at the time. He was willing to deal with a dumpster fire of an organization when everybody was running away.

While he shouldn't compare himself to Luongo, Roberto hasn't done much in his career anyway, while remaining healthy from career ending injuries.

DiPietro didn't force Milbury to act like a haphazard moron, crazy Mike brought him here himself...

DiPietro is an athlete of a non-existent breed now a days. He's loyal to the end and that's something that doesn't even exist anymore.

EDIT: It's kind of funny that people are so quick to forget the games that Rick stole for us. We all like to poke fun at Dipietro (myself included), but he was a monster for a decent period of time. We could have built a real franchise around the man, if it wasn't for that damn all star game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad