Speculation: RHD available or potentially available

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
For the right handed people who use right handed sticks I ask “if you knew nothing about hockey and the first thing you started doing at your first hockey practice was poke checking, which hand would you use?” You can think of a hockey stick as a one handed weapon you use in your dominant hand and then think of a hockey shot as a two handed backhand in tennis. In the US a lot of dads just assume hockey is like baseball.

Andrew Peeke would cost nothing from the Jackets. Neither would Severson. Boqvist might be available as well.

Reactions: Blueston

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
For the right handed people who use right handed sticks I ask “if you knew nothing about hockey and the first thing you started doing at your first hockey practice was poke checking, which hand would you use?” You can think of a hockey stick as a one handed weapon you use in your dominant hand and then think of a hockey shot as a two handed backhand in tennis. In the US a lot of dads just assume hockey is like baseball.

Andrew Peeke would cost nothing from the Jackets. Neither would Severson. Boqvist might be available as well.
Similarly, if you were to pick up fencing, which hand would you hold the foil / sword in?

"I have something to tell you, i am not left handed either" (Princess Bride)

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I could see Tre in on Risto with retention, with the hopelessly optimistic belief that Risto could be more than a 3rd pair.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Would Severson really cost nothing from the Jackets? Would they really cut bait in year 1 out of 8 on that deal? And obviously the team taking on Severson would be taking the whole contract as I cannot fathom a team eating up a retention spot for 7 years after this one.

Even if he hasn't played as expected I would be surprised if he was guy that got moved

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Would Severson really cost nothing from the Jackets? Would they really cut bait in year 1 out of 8 on that deal? And obviously the team taking on Severson would be taking the whole contract as I cannot fathom a team eating up a retention spot for 7 years after this one.

Even if he hasn't played as expected I would be surprised if he was guy that got moved

They should. I don’t know if Jarmo would, but a new GM might. The problem with the Jackets defense is they went for all offensive D men and nobody is a solid defensive guy like they used to have with Gavrikov, Savard, etc. So holding third period leads has been challenging.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
So who would be the team with $6.25m in room that needs a PP2/Offensive RHD that is otherwise playing on the middle pair with a solid LHD partner to mask his deficiencies?

That is the target type of team for a Severson and there would need to be a bad contract coming back to make the cap work. Does Detroit or Seattle fit that bill at all?

Would think he would be more movable in a year or two after the cap increases.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

See, i can't ever actually answer this truly...because i grew up with a dad who is right handed, shoots left, as per typical for Canadians. But somehow, i still ended up being a righty who shoots right anyway. Just playing with a flat no curve stick, even just a mini stick, that's the way that i used it. That's what felt natural, and the opposite is just beyond awkward.

But it's also not really like some handicap. Tons of top-end RH shooting players are right handed, or at least do things like signing autographs right-handed.

Ovechkin is probably the greatest goal scorer of all time and he's like that. Kovalchuk was always like that and didn't lack for puck skills and "control" or as a shooter. Barzal seems to be like that and he's pretty elite as a puckhandler and passer with deft touch and control. Heck, Cale Makar is another and he seems like he's got decent hands. :dunno:

There's all sorts of other weird stuff, like "footedness" and "eye dominance" and other weird brain things.

But the main thing is, whatever the reasons...RH shooters are simply a lot more scarce in the NHL in general. That typically makes them a more "premium" assets when all else is equal. Especially on defence where it tends to matter most.

Similarly, if you were to pick up fencing, which hand would you hold the foil / sword in?

"I have something to tell you, i am not left handed either" (Princess Bride)

This is a kind of strange one. For one, i've never really viewed the hockey stick like that because, as i was once told by someone on Television, "keep your stick on the ice". But also in the sense that i never got into fencing...but just visualizing it...i'd naturally pick the foil up with my left hand, switch it to my right hand to actually use, but most of the footwork would be a lot more natural back the other way around. :dunno:

There's a lot of weird, not very well understood nuance to it all.

But however we get there...the NHL simply has a far shorter supply of RH Shooters and especially on defence. Hence, everyone's always desperately looking for some.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
What’s a realistic return for Brandt Clarke?

We assume here LA likes Roy and Spence and the value is good.

2 1st round picks? 4? What?

• Haha
Reactions: go4hockey

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

Just find something the King's want more than Clarke.
Philly or Ottawa?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I would gonna do the Kovacevic vs Myers but onyl if the organisation has the plan to put Mailloux as an NHLer next year David Savard not being traded.

I would be curious to see what could be added by the Nucks.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
In North American style hockey it is more common for Right handed people to shoot left.
I thought that was the case for Europeans?

I played both baseball and hockey from a young age, and I shoot/hit/throw right handed. I’m not sure I ever “chose” to shoot right, more likely I was taught on a right handed stick when I was 5.

In hockey however it actually makes sense to have your dominant hand on the top of the stick for better fine motor control (stick handling) and to control the the height of the stick blade through a slap shot.

I recently read somewhere there was a study that showed that (elite) right handed dominant hockey players who shoot right have harder shots, whereas those who shoot left are generally more skilled. That kind of makes sense I guess.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
He said just yesterday that he's open to anything. I would think that Backlund and the kids are hardest to move. Andersson and Weegar would be included in anything. Yes, it's not like he has to move them, so he has to win the trade, so no Zadorov type deals.
If Andersson is available I could see Van including a top prospect +

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Been playing above his pay grade his entire time with the Oilers. Solid second pairing RHD, especially if his partner is a puck mover. The Oilers issue is that the second pair is full and Nurse isn't a puck moving defenceman.
we'll give you Myers for him? Over two seasons we'll be taking more cap hit ($6.5 vs $6 for Myers :naughty:)

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
The dominant hand is more useful to control the stick handling at the top of the stick, it also lets you have more power in a wrist shot etc.

I think it's similar to how right handed musicians fret with their left, despite how, logically, it would be the other way.
My right hand is the my dominant hand. I shoot left in hockey, bat left, catch left, and throw right in baseball, golf left handed, and hit right handed in tennis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
From Nashville:

2nd pairing: Barrie, Carrier, Fabbro

Fabbro has been paired with Josi but never given 1st pairing minutes. Doesnt really fit the style that Brunette wants to take the team so his minutes have been dropping. More of a stylistic clash instead of an indictment of results as he is still better defensively than Barrie or Schenn.

Barrie lots of books written about him here. Lots of offense. Not alot of defense. Still true.

Carrier our best overall 2nd pairing dman. Gets paired with Lauzon alot. Gets hard assignments and lots of defensive zone starts. Trotz likely prefers to keep this one

1 retention spot left.
How is carrier passing and breakouts? I really like the story the numbers tell about carrier and I think he'd be a great ceci upgrade. Realistic ask for him?

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017

Clarke is nearly untouchable, the only return would be another #1 projected D and if you have that you don't need to trade for Clarke. From LA there's a possible Matt Roy trade but it would take an overpayment.( a 1st + player/top prospect for a UFA , 2nd pairing D , which is an overpayment).

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Next year we have to find ice time for all of the following.

Montreal:
Matheson - Struble
Guhle - Barron
Harris - Xhekaj
Kovacevic

The Habs next year, if this happen:

312a50122ea624d0565f4d5b7c3478b4.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6