Speculation: Revamping Management and Turning Stones

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ferraro on 690 calling the Habs to task, they're behind the curve. Their style is too reactive rather than being proactive. It's about checking forward, not back. It's about puck control and a quick game. He says you'd want puck movers on the back ideally. Montreal's D doesn't fit with this mold.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I must've been writing my post when you posted yours right above mine about Melnick bringing up all the defensive minded guys in Habs management and coaches. Like you said it's good that this is getting some attention. Not sure if it will make any difference with how the Habs will do things but it is a legit concern which have been ongoing for many years now.

I'm thinking that now that Bergevin is on a short leash and his methods haven't worked, he can't afford to come back with the same approach and same individuals counseling him. If he doesn't see this, then we'll just have to wait that he takes himself out of the job for good.

Reactions: sheed36

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I'm thinking that now that Bergevin is on a short leash and his methods haven't worked, he can't afford to come back with the same approach and same individuals counseling him. If he doesn't see this, then we'll just have to wait that he takes himself out of the job for good.

six seasons and a movie

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
By the time the Habs get around to adopting the approach to the game used by most teams today, the rest of the league will have moved on to another more effective method yet again. The Habs will always be bringing up the rear because they are reactive instead of proactive. They don't trust any course of action that hasn't been proven to work elsewhere. They don't try new things and think that all the answers are to be found in the past. The Habs are to hockey what Conservatives are to politics: stuck in reverse.

If Marc Bergevin needs a new dressing room slogan that explains the organizational philosophy of this franchise it should be this:

"MAKE THE HABS GREAT AGAIN"

He could print it on some ball caps.

Reactions: 417

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
Here is a candidate for a GM position who would be the perfect fit for the club and it's very likely that some other team will be scooping him up.

He's on the Isles short list and that's no surprise. Several other clubs will be looking to upgrade their management and BriseBois will get traction with them as well.

I don't know what BriseBois's plans are but if he's offered a GM position, it's only natural that he's going to listen.

Problem is, with our GM having committed to Bergevin for another year, it also means that we can probably say goodbye to BriseBois.

Does Molson even know who Brisebois is?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ferraro on 690 calling the Habs to task, they're behind the curve. Their style is too reactive rather than being proactive. It's about checking forward, not back. It's about puck control and a quick game. He says you'd want puck movers on the back ideally. Montreal's D doesn't fit with this mold.

Everyone is saying that the Kings and Ducks got swept because they're not fast enough and not built for the new NHL.

Yes a lot of posters here still think we need to get bigger. There's a quote on tsn690 from Gord Miller saying there's a lot more open ice in the playoffs. Wake up people, the game has changed. Just as in the past, when players like Stephan Matteau and Brian Noonan were valuable in the regular season and became even more valuable when the game became even rougher in the playoffs, now speedy and skilled players that were valuable in the regular season are even more valuable in the playoffs.

Reactions: Runner77

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Speed and skill don't do you much good when an opponent cross checks you in the neck and doesn't even get a 2 minute penalty. The league will deny it, but it's clear that the rules change once the playoffs begin. Games which during the season were characterized by a crackdown on obstruction suddenly become clutch and grab rodeos reminiscent of the 70's and 80's. And thuggery and intimidation are also on the menu. This is why Pacioretty never scores during the playoffs. This is why the Habs got run out of the rink by the Sens a few years back. This is why rat-fink's like Marchand excel during the post-season. Shaw probably would too if he played for a team that actually made it to the post-season.

You always need skill and speed but to win Cups you need some level of menace. You need to be able to play with some degree of "malice aforethought" so to speak. Nice guys finish last.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The point about how the Habs' personnel is made up of mostly ex-defensive players is getting traction. Heard Melnick asking a few minutes ago, when was the last time the Habs had an offensive minded coach? Everywhere you look, same thing.

You can't have a culture change, not even the beginning of a discussion when your personnel is mostly made up of people from the same background or who think alike.

The only offensive-minded Hab in a coaching capacity? Kirk Muller. How much leeway does he really have? And more importantly, how effective has he been? They need to take a hard look at this. Stéphan Lebeau's interview with Marinaro is making waves as the spotlight is shining on the type of culture the Habs have been favoring -- which has little to do with offence, it would appear.

Good, happy it get some traction out there. Everything is connected here, it's pretty much obvious.

They might not be all "yes man" as Bergevin was saying but they all have similar background, similar age, similar way to look at the game and in the end, it affect all their decisions.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Does Molson even know who Brisebois is?

He should. He used to work for the team.

BrisBois snippet said:
Joined the Habs in 2001 as director of legal affairs. In July 2003 he added director of hockey operations to his duties before being named vice president of hockey operations on July 24, 2006. In this capacity, BriseBois oversaw the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs. The Bulldogs went on to win the 2007 Calder Cup during the first season under BriseBois’ direction. On August 23, 2007 BriseBois was named the general manager of the Hamilton Bulldogs, making him the youngest in the AHL at the time.
As an American Hockey League general manager, BriseBois has hired two head coaches that have won the Louis A.R. Pieri Award as the AHL’s outstanding coach of the year (Guy Boucher – Hamilton Bulldogs...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
DOES EVERYBODY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

* grunt *

DbK2ZJPX0AslO9c.jpg

:help:

Hmmm Debbie Dunning....

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Here is a candidate for a GM position who would be the perfect fit for the club and it's very likely that some other team will be scooping him up.

He's on the Isles short list and that's no surprise. Several other clubs will be looking to upgrade their management and BriseBois will get traction with them as well.

I don't know what BriseBois's plans are but if he's offered a GM position, it's only natural that he's going to listen.

Problem is, with our GM having committed to Bergevin for another year, it also means that we can probably say goodbye to BriseBois.
Much like MT we will be too late to get rid of the cancer in the organization and then settle for a bergeclone. Maybe make SL GM. Sure he couldn't coach, maybe he would be better after 5 months of ASS GM training.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Everyone is saying that the Kings and Ducks got swept because they're not fast enough and not built for the new NHL.

Yes a lot of posters here still think we need to get bigger. There's a quote on tsn690 from Gord Miller saying there's a lot more open ice in the playoffs. Wake up people, the game has changed. Just as in the past, when players like Stephan Matteau and Brian Noonan were valuable in the regular season and became even more valuable when the game became even rougher in the playoffs, now speedy and skilled players that were valuable in the regular season are even more valuable in the playoffs.

Ok , so whereas before big , slow guys could make it now its small , fast guys who can make it. But as for the rest of it, skill, speed and size has always been relevant and important.

You want a model ? Check out the Jets. Big , almost all their forwards are at least 6' ( their RW is a redwood stand and so is a lot of their D ) , skilled and fast. I dont know if you would call it a model or just common sense that a hockey team of big, skilled and fast players would be good, but ok. Go with this model.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ok , so whereas before big , slow guys could make it now its small , fast guys who can make it. But as for the rest of it, skill, speed and size has always been relevant and important.

You want a model ? Check out the Jets. Big , almost all their forwards are at least 6' ( their RW is a redwood stand and so is a lot of their D ) , skilled and fast. I dont know if you would call it a model or just common sense that a hockey team of big, skilled and fast players would be good, but ok. Go with this model.
The Jets really seemed to have worked on a plan..............MB has no idea on how to do this...he has admitted such. Windows of opportunity is not something he even thinks of...build through the draft was what he said six years ago, but he didn't follow it through...this year, he said it again...
MB has always lived in the now...and continues to try to fix holes, with bad evaluations...it's not a good recipe.
The Jets, are exactly what teams should follow...The Preds are also another team that could also be followed, having 3-4 puck moving D has them an amazing team.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The Jets really seemed to have worked on a plan..............MB has no idea on how to do this...he has admitted such. Windows of opportunity is not something he even thinks of...build through the draft was what he said six years ago, but he didn't follow it through...this year, he said it again...
MB has always lived in the now...and continues to try to fix holes, with bad evaluations...it's not a good recipe.
The Jets, are exactly what teams should follow...The Preds are also another team that could also be followed, having 3-4 puck moving D has them an amazing team.
MB is not in the now, he’s in about 2008 running a Blockbuster Video

The successful GMs are working on streaming 4K to your home and our GM is working on be kind and rewind

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I think this is good. I think (kind of but not really but hope) that at the end of this mess, Molson will feel free to hire an Anglo GM. Coach is still too close to the public. If you have to break that cycle, start with the gm.

So I think this will be good long term - or god forbid, long long long term. You can't keep handicapping yourself like this and keep hoping to win in the NHL.

That said if you read any random newspaper or hab-centric comment section, that's an uphill battle...

Whatever, I think I'll have to chose a new team, I miss purposeful hockey. Tank, win, whatever, do something. Still love you guys though :dunce:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Like i said for Lefebvre, it's much more about who's coming in than it is about who's going out. I don't want lateral moves, i expect a change in the philosophy...not just some french name hire to calm the Fans down.

Marc Bergevin - Defense
Claude Julien - Defense
Larry Carrière - Defense
JJ Daignault - Defense
Francis Bouillon - Defense
Rob Ramage - Defense
Sylvain Lefebvre - Defense
Michel Therrien - Defense

Martin Lapointe - Middle-six grinder
Scott Melanby - Middle-six grinder
Dan Lacroix - Middle-six grinder
Rick Dudley - Grinder
Shane Churla - Grinder

Then we shouldn't be surprise that this organisation value grinders more than skills and that everything has to be defense first. Bunch of ex-Dmen and Ex-Grinder are running this organisation top to bottom.

No wonders why they chose guys like Julien or Therrien and goes out of their way to get players like Shaw and Alzner. And no suprise they traded Weber for Subban.

Muller is probably feeling alone in there...

I expect this mentality to change. Hire some offensive-minded poeple....Like Yzerman/Verbeek/Kurvers in Tampa. This will matter a lot more than just firing poeple. And of course, on-ice move will be even more critical for Bergevin.

I suspect that if you look around the league you'll find a lot of organization with a similar structure. That's not a habs thing... most if the time, good players never translate well to management.

I'm not doing your research for you, but if your gonna criticize the habs for hiring grinder (or middling players) and defencemen, I encourage you to look around the league, you won't find anything too dissimilar

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The destruction continues and there is no end in sight. I knew something was wrong when the assistant coaches remained in place in Laval. That was the first sign that nothing will change.

Molson is a f***ing liar, pure and simple

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille