Speculation: Revamping Management and Turning Stones

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So I don't take them not firing the assistants in Laval as confirmation that they're sticking around.

Except for the fact of the Laval GM's son being part of those not fired. It creates an awkward situation for the incoming coach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So yes, a plan, a total organizational commitment to ideas and standards.

From a GM who wasn't able to stick to one over the past 6 years? He shouldn't be around long enough to see his "plan" come to fruition, unless it's a 1-2 year thing -- and short term plans usually involve a lot of compromises. I'll believe in a plan when the next GM is named. We're in limbo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Molson should be looking further into the future, to the day after he inevitably has to fire Bergevin. He needs to get people into the organization now who can be groomed to take over from Bergevin.

This has been a recurring criticism by Bernard Brisset, who says it's been a defining flaw of Geoff Molson. Ever since his ownership group acquired the team, they did nothing to ensure the ready availability of in-house successors: no assistant GM who can step in as GM, no assistant coach who could be Head Coach with the Habs and same in Laval, no assistant coach ready to step in for the Head Coach (even if AHL coaches are easier to find).

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This has been a recurring criticism by Bernard Brisset, who says it's been a defining flaw of Geoff Molson. Ever since his ownership group acquired the team, they did noting to ensure the ready availability of in-house successors: no assistant GM who can step in as GM, no assistant coach who could be Head Coach with the Habs and same in Laval, no assistant coach ready to step in for the Head Coach (even if AHL coaches are easier to find).
And the fact that this franchise has declared that it can only hire francophones makes grooming successors all the more important because no other team is going to do it on the Habs' behalf. They don't have to do anything similar because they are free to hire whomever they wish.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I suspect Mol$ons are probably racking up profits regardless of team's performance. Obviously wining brings more revenues, but it is not like they are losing money. May be clearing the foxhole and paying to another set of front officers & scouts will destroy that profit.

Molsons are looking to buy time so as to soften the blow of all the misspent money on Bergevin, his illusions and his minions.

How do they absorb a potential $40-50 Million loss, were they to can their whole management?

Simple, allude to "secret plans", throw players under the bus, resort to blaming malleable and difficult to define intangibles like "attitude", injuries, bad luck and "it was a bad season". Then have Geoff play the good cop by saying it'll be "greater transparency" and a "better fan experience" and then Bergevin as the bad cop, peels it all back with "other GMs will be listening on what we say", he won't do away with his dumb "upper and lower body injury" BS and refuses to point out and fire all those within his advisory group, who recommended Ott, King, Martinsen and other deadwood and who advocated trading PK and Sergachev for the players that were obtained.

Also, pretend you want to leave no stone unturned, have every facet of the organisation reviewed but have the review conducted by a failed GM you should have fired 2 years ago along with his neanderthal toe-clipping friend -- the failed GM who created the country club that got us to where we are now and who is in such a huge conflict of interest situation that he'll be inclined to protect as many of the friends he's named.

Doing a proper clean-up to the extent that Geoff suggested, would be tantamount to Bergevin admitting that he was dead wrong about a significant part of the organization that he built and sold to Molson in the first place. And it would also mean replacing Bergevin's incompetent friends by the best in the business. How likely is that to happen?

Last edited:
Reactions: lo striver

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And the fact that this franchise has declared that it can only hire francophones makes grooming successors all the more important because no other team is going to do it on the Habs' behalf. They don't have to do anything similar because they are free to hire whomever they wish.

No question , if you're going to institute hiring policies that limit your pool of candidates, then make sure you groom them yourself -- it's the only way you have a fighting chance when someone needs to be replaced.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
From a GM who wasn't able to stick to one over the past 6 years? He shouldn't be around long enough to see his "plan" come to fruition, unless it's a 1-2 year thing -- and short term plans usually involve a lot of compromises. I'll believe in a plan when the next GM is named. We're in limbo.
Doesn`t matter much who the gm is to me, the Habs need to get better players under whomever.

I agree with others here, the organizational philosophy/mentality needs to change so don't know how much will change with JAF (Just Another Face).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Doesn`t matter much who the gm is to me, the Habs need to get better players under whomever.

I agree with others here, the organizational philosophy/mentality needs to change so don't know how much will change with JAF (Just Another Face).

It may not matter to you, but the fact of the matter is that the identity of the GM is what allows a proper plan to be in place and the right people to execute it.

You don't compound a hiring mistake by providing him with further responsibilities.

So yes, the identity of the GM matters. It all begins at the top.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ok , so whereas before big , slow guys could make it now its small , fast guys who can make it. But as for the rest of it, skill, speed and size has always been relevant and important.

You want a model ? Check out the Jets. Big , almost all their forwards are at least 6' ( their RW is a redwood stand and so is a lot of their D ) , skilled and fast. I dont know if you would call it a model or just common sense that a hockey team of big, skilled and fast players would be good, but ok. Go with this model.

We'll see how far they can go. I prefer Pittsburgh, not only for their Future Hall of Famers, but they've surrounded them with Kessel, Gutznel, Sheary, Rust, not exactly bruisers. They paid a heavy price for Reeves, but he was useless for their style of play. I also like that they're not built "from the net out" as Bergevin is trying to do, you know the way teams were built in 1999.

I do like that the Jets will dress 4 righties on D tonight: Myers, Byfuglien, Trouba, and Tucker Poolman.

We have Weber, Petry, Juulsen, but if Carlesson should want to come here, sign him.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It may not matter to you, but the fact of the matter is that the identity of the GM is what allows a proper plan to be in place and the right people to execute it.

You don't compound a hiring mistake by providing him with further responsibilities.

So yes, the identity of the GM matters. It all begins at the top.
I don't follow hockey for the gms Runner, sorry that offends you

Cheers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't follow hockey for the gms Runner, sorry that offends you

Cheers.

I don't know anyone who follows hockey on account of which suit happens to run the team.

No one can be offended by the obvious.

Cheers to you.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been expecting the latter to be announced as the new head coach of Laval

Is that based on a rumor or personal observation? Bouillon has no head coach experience. I'm not sure what Ramage's background is.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gilles Courteau, commish of the Q, described Joel Bouchard in pretty glowing terms:

Lui, le Canadien n'a pas le droit de l'échapper. C'est un Sidney Crosby, un Mario Lemieux ou un Wayne Gretzky. Il connait tout le monde dans la ligue, il connait tous les joueurs québecois, tous les joueurs canadiens, tous les joueurs américains et tous les joueurs internationaux. Les gars comme ça sont rares et ils doivent absolument aller le chercher.

(as recounted by Reggie Tremblay on 91.9 FM)

Basically, Courteau is suggesting that the Habs cannot afford to lose out on Bouchard who is in the same class in terms of excellence like Crosby, Lemieux or Gretzky. He knows everyone in the Q, all Quebec, Canadian, American and international players. Guys like him are very rare.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We simply cannot, just re-arrange the chairs on the titanic boys, and cross our fingers...there needs to be some serious overhaul type of changes, and then a new philosophy change with regard to how the clown does business...........
Hoping for da best UFA centreman, is not a plan...

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Is that based on a rumor or personal observation? Bouillon has no head coach experience. I'm not sure what Ramage's background is.
Just personal fear that it's a move I could see them do
Ramage had limited experience other than playing the game, went from a stock broker to a prisoner and then a couple of years as an assistant in London before MB gave him the job

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Using a current Bell ad getting a lot of play on 690 ...

28sbzt.jpg

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Just personal fear that it's a move I could see them do
Ramage had limited experience other than playing the game, went from a stock broker to a prisoner and then a couple of years as an assistant in London before MB gave him the job

Prison is a character microwave. Best possible training ground.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
This has been a recurring criticism by Bernard Brisset, who says it's been a defining flaw of Geoff Molson. Ever since his ownership group acquired the team, they did nothing to ensure the ready availability of in-house successors: no assistant GM who can step in as GM, no assistant coach who could be Head Coach with the Habs and same in Laval, no assistant coach ready to step in for the Head Coach (even if AHL coaches are easier to find).

Pierre M mentioned the other day that Pat Burns was hired by Savard to coach in Sherbrooke with the idea he was the coach in waiting.

I remember at the time knowing nothing about him, but I had complete faith in the hire because I trusted Savard.

We’ve had Lefebvre banging against his own personal glass ceiling for six years, like a sad balloon let go by a child. It’s as silly as having an AHL bet be your starting goalie for 6 years. You have fertile fields and you choose not to plant anything. Institutional idiocy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pierre M mentioned the other day that Pat Burns was hired by Savard to coach in Sherbrooke with the idea he was the coach in waiting.

I remember at the time knowing nothing about him, but I had complete faith in the hire because I trusted Savard.

We’ve had Lefebvre banging against his own personal glass ceiling for six years, like a sad balloon let go by a child. It’s as silly as having an AHL bet be your starting goalie for 6 years. You have fertile fields and you choose not to plant anything. Institutional idiocy.

You want to believe in change but then you have the same guy who pushed hard to keep Lefebvre in tow despite many reasons to replace him earlier and better candidates available, now supposedly blessed with better judgment on the next hire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad