Speculation: Revamping Management and Turning Stones

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
The question is, if that comes to pass (and its probably likely), will there be a qualified candidate available?

"qualified candidate" is a low priority on the list when it comes to hiring a GM.....that is how we ended up with MB,

language, and somebody who can communicate well to the media are far more important, then how the GM does his actual job

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Like i said for Lefebvre, it's much more about who's coming in than it is about who's going out. I don't want lateral moves, i expect a change in the philosophy...not just some french name hire to calm the Fans down.

Marc Bergevin - Defense
Claude Julien - Defense
Larry Carrière - Defense
JJ Daignault - Defense
Francis Bouillon - Defense
Rob Ramage - Defense
Sylvain Lefebvre - Defense
Michel Therrien - Defense

Martin Lapointe - Middle-six grinder
Scott Melanby - Middle-six grinder
Dan Lacroix - Middle-six grinder
Rick Dudley - Grinder
Shane Churla - Grinder

Then we shouldn't be surprise that this organisation value grinders more than skills and that everything has to be defense first. Bunch of ex-Dmen and Ex-Grinder are running this organisation top to bottom.

No wonders why they chose guys like Julien or Therrien and goes out of their way to get players like Shaw and Alzner. And no suprise they traded Weber for Subban.

Muller is probably feeling alone in there...

I expect this mentality to change. Hire some offensive-minded poeple....Like Yzerman/Verbeek/Kurvers in Tampa. This will matter a lot more than just firing poeple. And of course, on-ice move will be even more critical for Bergevin.

Well said.

And another issue, in a list of issues for me is that this organization has not clued into the fact that it is not a destination team. Be it because of taxes, media , the intensity etc, this does not appear to be at the top of the list for places a player wants to come to.

We saw this most of all when poor Gainey was going around trying to bring in good UFAs and despite real effort and willingness to overpay he was constantly turned down.

So accept we may have to overpay and x plus $1 may not cut it. Just matching the Rads offer was a bad decision. 1

It is incredible to me in this environment at how little this organization goes to protect its players, yet readily protects management.

We roll our eyes at the soft balls media tosses at MB and are awestruck when hard questions come. Habs make it clear to not overdue it or else, and it keeps media in line.

But when media crosses the line on players, like Chucky and the rehab, Patches and his family, no problem. Or just general constant trashing of a player, no problem.

Remember Gainey reacting to Brisbois being given the business by fans and Gainey saying they should stay home, we dont want fans like that ?

Should be no surprise I guess, biggest trashers of our players is management. I hate that. All you do us embarass a player , set him up for the media to bury him , maybe affect his play and certainly devalue his worth. Just shut up and trade the guy if its such a thing.

Protect the players, especially when lines are crossed, and dont trash out own guys.

And those good players who actually like it here, you keep if they are filling their roles. Guys like PK and Markov loved it here.

At least players need to see management trying to create a positive place to play in.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
"qualified candidate" is a low priority on the list when it comes to hiring a GM.....that is how we ended up with MB,

language, and somebody who can communicate well to the media are far more important, then how the GM does his actual job

The problem with Bergevin wasn't that he wasn't qualified, its that he has outdated views on hockey. That's not uncommon among GMs, regardless of language.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Leclerc refers to Lapointe and Riendeau as "hommes de confiance" -- basically, right hand men. That presupposes a high level of confidence. What exactly did both of them do to deserve such a high degree of trust? These guys must have already had a lot of influence while the team committed repeated blunders. And yet here we are with more reshuffling of the deck. It's difficult as a fan, to not remain skeptical.
I prefer to translate that literally as confidence men i.e. con men.

Reactions: Runner77

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Kudos to OP and most posts. Encapsulates my thoughts very well.

What is going on here can’t be explained with logic.

The people in charge are delusional. The problems are obvious to everyone on the outside. The organization is a disaster. They are stuck in the Stone Age. They say ridiculous things to placate the populace. Controlling the media. Surrounding themselves with family and friends and executing anyone who says anything remotely critical.

Sound familiar?

Long live Kim Jong Molson!

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
And another issue, in a list of issues for me is that this organization has not clued into the fact that it is not a destination team. Be it because of taxes, media , the intensity etc, this does not appear to be at the top of the list for places a player wants to come to.

We saw this most of all when poor Gainey was going around trying to bring in good UFAs and despite real effort and willingness to overpay he was constantly turned down.

So accept we may have to overpay and x plus $1 may not cut it.

And yet, according to Molson, Montreal is one of the best places to play in the league and every player wants to go there. He said as much during his presser last week. Yeah, sure they want to play there: as a visitor, perhaps. You roll in a day or two in advance and hit Chez Paree and Buona Notte with your teammates. Fine and dandy. But just because you can have a good time in Montreal doesn't mean players want to live and play there full-time. When you're a young guy with money you can find a good time in a lot of NHL cities, even s***holes like Winnipeg, Edmonton, Raleigh or Buffalo. Habs management is always touting the benefits of Montreal (remember Gainey talking about the "spice" of the city?) but this isn't reflected by reality. It's a cognitive disconnect going on at the managerial level with this team. If everyone wants to play there, why is Montreal at or near the top of just about every player's no-trade list? Even the francophone players don't want to go there.

And over and above the negative factors which are beyond the control of the Habs (punitive taxation, retrograde language laws, potholes) it's the stuff that is within their purview which is keeping good players away. Things like throwing your players under the bus to cover for your bad management as you lurch from one bad decision to the next. Word is out around the league (and has been for a long time now) that the Habs are just not a well-managed organization. The hockey world has passed them by. They used to be the gold standard for how an organization was to be run. Now they are merely a cautionary tale about how not to do things. The Habs were far better off when they had largely francophone players working under largely anglophone coaching and management. Today it's the other way around. The Habs are far too concerned with the image of their brand than they are with actually being good at anything they do.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Huge problem for the Habs..........they are so concerned on how they are perceived.

Which is ironic considering they are perceived as a bunch of bumbling idiots. You'd think they'd be taking steps to correct that but, nope, they are truly delusional enough to believe that serving "better food" (lol. wtf was that about?) is going to make a batter fan experience. Last time I checked my best fan experiences have always included winning teams, not an upgrade of the f***ing ketchup and poutine sauce.

Molson needs to pull his head out of the "focus group" reports (and his own ass) and take a look at his team from the perspective of the fans, media and players. The problems this team has, from top to bottom, can't be fixed with a spreadsheet.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Like i said for Lefebvre, it's much more about who's coming in than it is about who's going out. I don't want lateral moves, i expect a change in the philosophy...not just some french name hire to calm the Fans down.

Marc Bergevin - Defense
Claude Julien - Defense
Larry Carrière - Defense
JJ Daignault - Defense
Rob Ramage - Defense

Rick Dudley - Grinder
Shane Churla - Grinder

Then we shouldn't be surprise that this organisation value grinders more than skills and that everything has to be defense first. Bunch of ex-Dmen and Ex-Grinder are running this organisation top to bottom.

No wonders why they chose guys like Julien or Therrien and goes out of their way to get players like Shaw and Alzner. And no suprise they traded Weber for Subban.

I expect this mentality to change. Hire some offensive-minded poeple....Like Yzerman/Verbeek/Kurvers in Tampa. This will matter a lot more than just firing poeple. And of course, on-ice move will be even more critical for Bergevin.

I would understand if you had written "I hope this mentality will change" but I'm not sure how you can say "I expect this mentality to change". The mentality has been in place for the better part of a quarter century and counting. We have no reason to expect that to change. Should it change? Definitely. Will it change? Of course not. It won't change because they keep hiring the same type of people to run the show; they perpetuate themselves.

When Bergevin is eventually fired, Molson is going to do precisely what he did after Gauthier was fired: he's going to ask Serge Savard (or someone hanging around the team who thinks just like him) to run the interview process and recommend a replacement. Under those conditions, what are the odds that anyone who believes in 21st Century, offense-first hockey is going to be referred to Molson as a candidate? The odds are slim and none (and "slim" just got on the bus)

Like I've said before: the Habs are IBM. They're going to hire another empty suit who doesn't take risks. Stop pretending that they will ever hire the next Steve Jobs. As it is, they won't even consider Pierre McGuire for the job, and he's not exactly a free-thinking anarchist himself. He just seems that way compared to the dinosaurs the Habs always choose.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I would understand if you had written "I hope this mentality will change" but I'm not sure how you can say "I expect this mentality to change". The mentality has been in place for the better part of a quarter century and counting. We have no reason to expect that to change. Should it change? Definitely. Will it change? Of course not. It won't change because they keep hiring the same type of people to run the show; they perpetuate themselves.

When Bergevin is eventually fired, Molson is going to do precisely what he did after Gauthier was fired: he's going to ask Serge Savard (or someone hanging around the team who thinks just like him) to run the interview process and recommend a replacement. Under those conditions, what are the odds that anyone who believes in 21st Century, offense-first hockey is going to be referred to Molson as a candidate? The odds are slim and none (and "slim" just got on the bus)

Like I've said before: the Habs are IBM. They're going to hire another empty suit who doesn't take risks. Stop pretending that they will ever hire the next Steve Jobs. As it is, they won't even consider Pierre McGuire for the job, and he's not exactly a free-thinking anarchist himself. He just seems that way compared to the dinosaurs the Habs always choose.

This starts and ends with the owner.

If he tells his new GM that he wants a Cup and to build to that, but at the very least he wants uptempo, exciting hockey to entertain the fans, then that is the GMs mandate to fulfill.

Things flow from that. GM knows getting a defense first coach does not meet owners directive, so he doesnt.

GM tells head scout skill and speed are key BPA critirea, (not CHaracter).

This falls on Molson.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This starts and ends with the owner.

If he tells his new GM that he wants a Cup and to build to that, but at the very least he wants uptempo, exciting hockey to entertain the fans, then that is the GMs mandate to fulfill.

Things flow from that. GM knows getting a defense first coach does not meet owners directive, so he doesnt.

GM tells head scout skill and speed are key BPA critirea, (not CHaracter).

This falls on Molson.
I agree. Unfortunately Molson is as delusional as Bergevin and I don't think he's telling his GM about the type of hockey he'd like to see the team play. He leaves it to Bergevin to decide how best to build a team. He just wants a team that wins enough to keep critics off his back. He wants season ticket subscriptions renewed, TV deals renewed, and revenues to keep going up. How this is achieved is less important. So as long as the fans keep supporting the product Molson will never have any incentive to question the way he does business. So it really boils down to the paying customers more than to the owner. Fans have to get the attention of the owner by denying him his money.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Julien Brisebois is the most qualified candidate out there. ...

Here is a candidate for a GM position who would be the perfect fit for the club and it's very likely that some other team will be scooping him up.

He's on the Isles short list and that's no surprise. Several other clubs will be looking to upgrade their management and BriseBois will get traction with them as well.

I don't know what BriseBois's plans are but if he's offered a GM position, it's only natural that he's going to listen.

Problem is, with our GM having committed to Bergevin for another year, it also means that we can probably say goodbye to BriseBois.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So wait.

The AHL assistants are not fired and it will be up to the new coach to " decide" whether to go to the GM and tell him he doesn't want the GMs son as an
assistant

Lol.

Total embarrassment of an organization.

Makes zero sense. Why put a new hire as AHL coach in the delicate position of asking the team's GM, to have his son removed?

Time for Larry Carrière and his son to be shown the door. Enough pandering to these guys -- one is worse than the other.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Larry Carrière continuing to get outed on twitter. The optics are especially bad with Larry being consulted on the decision to fire Lefebvre.

I wonder if Bergevin consulted Carrière on what to do about his son. Fans are tired of the cronyism.

Good thing Larry gave a ringing endorsement of the Rocket's coaching staff just before Lefebvre was canned ...

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Larry Carrière continuing to get outed on twitter. The optics are especially bad with Larry being consulted on the decision to fire Lefebvre.

I wonder if Bergevin consulted Carrière on what to do about his son. Fans are tired of the cronyism.

Good thing Larry gave a ringing endorsement of the Rocket's coaching staff just before Lefebvre was canned ...

I may have just reached my end point. Thought it would come when MB started making player moved but this might be it.

We had a Presser where we were promised blah blah blah.

If true, if true, that it is thought completely reasonable that a new coach is sincerely going to be given the "choice "of telling Larry that he doesnt want his son as an assistant, well oh my God.

Immediately the coach will be seen as a yes man buffoon if the " child " is kept on.

I actually visualize MB shaking his butt at us and laughing. He is a liar and treats us as idiots and with the greatest contempt.

I see Molson as emasculated by MB.

Either the assistants must be fired before the new coach is hired
, or Molson must act on this latest outrage and fire MB. If Molson does not do this ( and just say that based on recent events it is evident to him that a new direction must be taken ), then he is not just a lousy owner, but he is not a man. No self respecting man would allow an employee to make him look like a clown like this.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I may have just reached my end point. Thought it would come when MB started making player moved but this might be it.

We had a Presser where we were promised blah blah blah.

If true, if true, that it is thought completely reasonable that a new coach is sincerely going to be given the "choice "of telling Larry that he doesnt want his son as an assistant, well oh my God.

Immediately the coach will be seen as a yes man buffoon if the " child " is kept on.

I actually visualize MB shaking his butt at us and laughing. He is a liar and treats us as idiots and with the greatest contempt.

I see Molson as emasculated by MB.

Either the assistants must be fired before the new coach is hired
, or Molson must act on this latest outrage and fire MB. If Molson does not do this ( and just say that based on recent events it is evident to him that a new direction must be taken ), then he is not just a lousy owner, but he is not a man. No self respecting man would allow an employee to make him look like a clown like this.
Let's just be honest, we all know MB should be fired...you have to cut off the head of the problem...

Will this happen? Before the draft? Maybe this is why it wont?? Who knows, these guys are a circus right now...

Transparency they said? OK sure...

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
DOES EVERYBODY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?

* grunt *

DbK2ZJPX0AslO9c.jpg

:help:

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Only the Habs fire head coaches but not the assistants along with him. Therrien got fired (because Bergevin couldn't keep him any longer without risking his own neck) but made sure that his buddy JJD wasn't tossed out on the street. And in Laval he cans Sly (also because he has to save his own neck) but leaves Carriere and Carriere Junior still employed.

This isn't a pro sports franchise anymore. It's a placement agency for the friends and associates of Marc Bergevin.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Marc Bergevin - Defense
Claude Julien - Defense
Larry Carrière - Defense
JJ Daignault - Defense
Rob Ramage - Defense

Rick Dudley - Grinder
Shane Churla - Grinder

The point about how the Habs' personnel is made up of mostly ex-defensive players is getting traction. Heard Melnick asking a few minutes ago, when was the last time the Habs had an offensive minded coach? Everywhere you look, same thing.

You can't have a culture change, not even the beginning of a discussion when your personnel is mostly made up of people from the same background or who think alike.

The only offensive-minded Hab in a coaching capacity? Kirk Muller. How much leeway does he really have? And more importantly, how effective has he been? They need to take a hard look at this. Stéphan Lebeau's interview with Marinaro is making waves as the spotlight is shining on the type of culture the Habs have been favoring -- which has little to do with offence, it would appear.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Marc Bergevin - Defense
Claude Julien - Defense
Larry Carrière - Defense
JJ Daignault - Defense
Rob Ramage - Defense

Rick Dudley - Grinder
Shane Churla - Grinder

I read this post earlier today and was listening to Melnick and within the past 30 minutes he brought up pretty much this post about the Habs including the AHL staff as well. He asked Gallo name the last person the Habs have hired other than Muller who was considered an offensive player and Gallo couldn't give him an answer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I read this post earlier today and was listening to Melnick and within the past 30 minutes he brought up pretty much this post about the Habs including the AHL staff as well. He asked Gallo name the last person the Habs have hired other than Muller who was considered an offensive player and Gallo couldn't give him an answer.

As we both just posted, this is yet another argument for Bergevin to have more personnel who have been both offensively dominant players and who have the experience to assume a high level management position. It could also be done via the naming of assistant managers with records of success, plucked out of the major junior leagues. There need to be individuals who bring in a new approach.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
As we both just posted, this is yet another argument for Bergevin to have more personnel who have been both offensively dominant players and who have the experience to assume a high level management position. It could also be done via the naming of assistant managers with records of success, plucked out of the major junior leagues. There need to be individuals who bring in a new approach.

I must've been writing my post when you posted yours right above mine about Melnick bringing up all the defensive minded guys in Habs management and coaches. Like you said it's good that this is getting some attention. Not sure if it will make any difference with how the Habs will do things but it is a legit concern which have been ongoing for many years now.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3