Retool or Rebuild if JT leaves and what would you do?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Retool. There are some pieces on this team you can build around.

If JT leaves, you have a first line of Lee-Barzal-Eberle. That is solid.
You have a second line of Beauvillier-??????-Bailey

You have Leddy and Pulock on D.

Those players are all 28 or younger, meaning they should be at a high level for a couple more years.

They would have a lot of cap space, even with the awful Ladd/Clutter/Cizikas contracts. They have a couple of decent prospects everywhere, and 2 top-15 picks plus an extra second.

They don't need a full-blown rebuild, full of players that are 3-4 years away. They need a smart GM who can add the right pieces.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Our current roster situation has too many depth forwards and depth D, without a 1A goaltender. The depth is nice ot have when we are consistently making the playoffs when we aren't. We need an IDENTITY! What type of team are we? Or the better question, what type of team do we WANT TO BE? I think a culture change at the top (new GM) needs to happen. Then we can continue to decide whether we want to "REBUILD" or "RETOOL".

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Okay. I believe it's less likely that trading Leddy for assets gets NYI a better D than keeping him and looking to add D they should add anyway. If Leddy got NYI Boqvist, Bouchard, or Dobson they should do it. But he won't.
Does leddy, nelson, ho sang, 11th and 12th get you#1 OA?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Blow it up no matter what! It's much easier and simpler to imagine how things could be (ie, Bellows is a guaranteed 30+ goal scorer, etc) than reality. As long as I focus on dreams and hope, things don't ever seem so bad.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm leaning retool because I don't want guys like Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, etc, to fall into that void of getting used to losing.

This team needs a top three defenseman, a couple third liners, and two goalies who can win games.

An actual NHL coach would help.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
If we can't win with JT, we certainly can't win without JT. You see what you can get from the guys that are getting close to UFA. We cannot afford to lose Lee and/or Eberle for nothing.

You build around Barzal, Tito, and Pulock. Everyone else can be had for the right price.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If we can't win with JT, we certainly can't win without JT. You see what you can get from the guys that are getting close to UFA. We cannot afford to lose Lee and/or Eberle for nothing.

You build around Barzal, Tito, and Pulock. Everyone else can be had for the right price.
Yes but you build around Barzal, Tito and Pulock WITH guys like Lee and Eberle.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

And when they decline to resign this offseason?

We cannot afford to lose these guys for nothing. They either sign a fair deal a year before UFA or they get traded. I'd like to keep atleast one of Eberle/Lee, but I don't think we can afford to keep both.

Lee will never have higher value than he does right now. If he is offered a contract 7/1 and doesn't sign than he needs to be moved.

Reactions: dood

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
And when they decline to resign this offseason?

We cannot afford to lose these guys for nothing. They either sign a fair deal a year before UFA or they get traded. I'd like to keep atleast one of Eberle/Lee, but I don't think we can afford to keep both.

Lee will never have higher value than he does right now. If he is offered a contract 7/1 and doesn't sign than he needs to be moved.
What a stupid f***ing way of looking at things. Your post absolutely disgusts me. f***ing loser mentality.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
What a stupid ****ing way of looking at things. Your post absolutely disgusts me. ****ing loser mentality.

Yea your right lets just lose these veterans for nothing when we are nowhere near winning a cup. In a year from now we will have nothing to show for Tavares, Eberle, Lee, Dehaan. Talk about a stupid mentality. Is that you Snow?

This team is nowhere near competing. Please tell you extravent plan to build a winner without doing so through the draft. You are probably one of the fans that wanted to trade Barzal for Duchene too.

Last edited:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

I don't want to lose these guys anymore than you do. But we need to fill some holes on this team and we won't do that for free. What if trading Lee (or Eberle) gets us the very much needed upgrade on the defence? Or goaltending? If there was a chance of trading Lee/Eberle (+ Dal Colle + something else) for a top 4 or even top 2 d-man you wouldn't do that?

We don't have anyone in the system who is NHL ready and could just go in and be in the top defensive pair just like that. Lee or Eberle are our biggest tradeable assets right now, because for sure I don't want to lose Beauvillier, but we need an upgrade on the defence. Something's gotta give.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
If the islanders lose JT then you blow it up. Start with firing the GM and head coach. As i have said before if JT leaves this teams won't be making the playoffs for at least the next 5 years. Then again if Snow somehow is still GM I'm done with this Franchise.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't want to lose these guys anymore than you do. But we need to fill some holes on this team and we won't do that for free. What if trading Lee (or Eberle) gets us the very much needed upgrade on the defence? Or goaltending? If there was a chance of trading Lee/Eberle (+ Dal Colle + something else) for a top 4 or even top 2 d-man you wouldn't do that?

We don't have anyone in the system who is NHL ready and could just go in and be in the top defensive pair just like that. Lee or Eberle are our biggest tradeable assets right now, because for sure I don't want to lose Beauvillier, but we need an upgrade on the defence. Something's gotta give.
Making strategic trades to fill holes is one thing. Jettisoning your best players simply out of fear of "losing them for nothing" when they turn UFA is beyond stupid.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yea your right lets just lose these veterans for nothing when we are nowhere near winning a cup. In a year from now we will have nothing to show for Tavares, Eberle, Lee, Dehaan. Talk about a stupid mentality. Is that you Snow?

This team is nowhere near competing. Please tell you extravent plan to build a winner without doing so through the draft. You are probably one of the fans that wanted to trade Barzal for Duchene too.

My god. Exactly how far up your ass is your head?

Yes, let's trade all of our top vets for picks simply because they will be UFA eligible in a year or two. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Making strategic trades to fill holes is one thing. Jettisoning your best players simply out of fear of "losing them for nothing" when they turn UFA is beyond stupid.

I have to agree, trading anyone because of fear of losing them for nothing isn't the right move. Trading non-core players because you will lose them for nothing, not so much. If a team is not in a playoff race and the player doesn't agree on a specific terms (be it money, term or NMC/NNTC), I'd move them out for picks/prospects on trade deadline.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If Snow is calling the shots I trust him with a re-tool over a rebuild. He's already failed at that once (rebuild). Damage control, the lesser of the evil. To compound, we have many pieces just entering their prime, I'd build on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad