Retool or Rebuild if JT leaves and what would you do?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
My god. Exactly how far up your ass is your head?

Yes, let's trade all of our top vets for picks simply because they will be UFA eligible in a year or two. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing. Then, with those picks, draft good players, develop them and when they become good, trade them for picks when they turn 26 so we don't lose them for nothing.

And what is your solution to fix this bottom of the barrel roster? With Tavares this team sucked, without Tavares this team isn't far from AHL caliber. Explain to me how you plan on getting a top 6 center, a shutdown center, 2 top pairing defenseman, and a good goaltender. The only way to do that is by drafting properly, like the Jets have and the Leafs have.

This team is going nowhere with Snow in charge and until that changes this is all moot point.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'd look into signing Stastny as a 2C, or a trade with the Preds for Turris and Rinne. They clear space to sign JT; a win-win. ;)

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
And what is your solution to fix this bottom of the barrel roster? With Tavares this team sucked, without Tavares this team isn't far from AHL caliber. Explain to me how you plan on getting a top 6 center, a shutdown center, 2 top pairing defenseman, and a good goaltender. The only way to do that is by drafting properly, like the Jets have and the Leafs have.

This team is going nowhere with Snow in charge and until that changes this is all moot point.
If JT walks, I think you still have to give it a go with this core. They have a lot of players either in their prime or just entering their prime (and many are signed long-term).

First and foremost would be to implement an actual defensive structure. Preferably with a new coaching staff. Then you gotta hope that some of the youngsters step up top fill some of the holes you mentioned and then you use the plethora of picks/prospects the Isles have to trade for players to fill the other holes. Obviously try the free agency market as well. Certainly it would be a tough row to hoe if JT walks and I'd rather not even think about it. Shoot, it will be tough even if he stays!

Reactions: WangMustGo

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As for what this team should do if JT leaves: they may as well call Sam Hinkie. Team finished SEVENTEEN points out of a playoff spot with Tavares, I really don't think anyone wants to see what this team will look like without him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's not a rebuild to trade Clutterbuck and Ladd. If they could figure out a way to do that even with JT they would. But they have negative value.

If you're rebuilding you have to trade established players with value. Eberle, Leddy, etc..

I'm against a rebuild. The roster isn't that horrible that someone who knows what they're doing couldn't tweak some things and hire a new coach and improve on last season even without JT.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As for what this team should do if JT leaves: they may as well call Sam Hinkie. Team finished SEVENTEEN points out of a playoff spot with Tavares, I really don't think anyone wants to see what this team will look like without him.

IMO, all depends on who Ledecky and Malkin hire to run the organization.

A lot of the issues with the Isles this year came down to Snow's inability to add the right pieces to flesh out the roster's weaknesses, and Weight's inability to coach at a level above Timbits hockey.

Bring in good management/coaching, are the holes that need filling that insurmountable? There's some building blocks in place. The only thing lacking is the person in charge to fill those holes.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Tavares walking just does not look good for this franchise.

If he does walk and the team starts talking to free agents, the two home ice rinks for the next two plus years should make for an interesting conversation. You think Nassau Coliseum in 2006 was a tough sell to free agents for Snow, wait till he tells them about the new and improved Nassau Coliseum

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Tavares walking just does not look good for this franchise.

If he does walk and the team starts talking to free agents, the two home ice rinks for the next two plus years should make for an interesting conversation. You think Nassau Coliseum in 2006 was a tough sell to free agents for Snow, wait till he tells them about the new and improved Nassau Coliseum

The simple fact is that the Isles are considered a Mickey Mouse organization and it won't change any time soon. Until Belmont opens, we are a transient franchise stuck between two crappy homes. We are not on equal footing with the rest of the NHL and no one is coming here if JT bolts, NO ONE.

The decision to rebuild or retool or go with this core may not be the organization's decision to make. We are not a free agent destination. If we trade for anyone of significance, why would they want to stay here long term? As has always been the case, we will only be able to add real talent through the draft and I'm not sure how much faith we have in this management's ability to draft well or to develop them properly.

JT leaving sets us back big time. We won't be getting anything for him either if he does leave. I think we'll be forced to rebuild. Target Belmont for the 're-emergence' of this Tavares-less Isles team.

Reactions: Konk and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The simple fact is that the Isles are considered a Mickey Mouse organization and it won't change any time soon. Until Belmont opens, we are a transient franchise stuck between two crappy homes. We are not on equal footing with the rest of the NHL and no one is coming here if JT bolts, NO ONE.

The decision to rebuild or retool or go with this core may not be the organization's decision to make. We are not a free agent destination. If we trade for anyone of significance, why would they want to stay here long term? As has always been the case, we will only be able to add real talent through the draft and I'm not sure how much faith we have in this management's ability to draft well or to develop them properly.

JT leaving sets us back big time. We won't be getting anything for him either if he does leave. I think we'll be forced to rebuild. Target Belmont for the 're-emergence' of this Tavares-less Isles team.
Dead on accurate. Sadly.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I never understood this logic. We develop a player into a first liner. 40 goal scorer. And now we're afraid that in 3-4 years he may decline. So we should trade him?

I know where you're coming from, but these players are commodities and it's a business..this isn't the same as having a job in Goldman Sachs where they pick the brightest, invest in training them and let them fight their way to the top.

This is buy low, sell high. Lee will bring a better return than if we try to throw picks, prospects and Nelson at other teams. If we didn't need anyone, we wouldn't trade him, but he is currency and we need his currency now. He will not be worth as much as he is now...well..we might have +- 2 years to play with.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I know where you're coming from, but these players are commodities and it's a business..this isn't the same as having a job in Goldman Sachs where they pick the brightest, invest in training them and let them fight their way to the top.

This is buy low, sell high. Lee will bring a better return than if we try to throw picks, prospects and Nelson at other teams. If we didn't need anyone, we wouldn't trade him, but he is currency and we need his currency now. He will not be worth as much as he is now...well..we might have +- 2 years to play with.

Well said, especially having the inability to attract free agents. This team can only get it done via trade or draft. I enjoy Lee as much as the next fan, but if dealing him improves the D or goaltending, it’s something that must be explored. Then again with Snow at the helm, might as well just keep everything and continue the tank. I have no confidence in him dealing Lee for legit assets other than more picks a la hamonic.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well said, especially having the inability to attract free agents. This team can only get it done via trade or draft. I enjoy Lee as much as the next fan, but if dealing him improves the D or goaltending, it’s something that must be explored. Then again with Snow at the helm, might as well just keep everything and continue the tank. I have no confidence in him dealing Lee for legit assets other than more picks a la hamonic.

If we trade Lee, we're probably focusing on futures in a return a la Hamonic. As a pending UFA, we're probably looking at picks to maximize the return. Then we flip those assets to get a d-man or a goalie. The teams offering those type of players in a trade are most likely to be looking for futures anyway.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You have to give it a go and then see what happens at the deadline.

Signing Stastny would be a start. He would be key to Barzal's future.

JT's departure means more $ to help the D and the bottom 6.

I believe you need better possession players in the bottom 6 regardless of JT resigning.

Top 4 and goaltending also need addressing with or without Tavares

Last edited:

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
trade everything that isnt bolted down. everyone except barzal is up for discussion, tho pulock and tito have Duchene prices....

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Without Tavares, the Isles are basically the Sabres. The Paul Stastny's and Patrick Maroon's of this world aren't gonna change that. You're back to being the team that pisses Victor Kozlov and Ruslan Fedotenko on your head and calls it rain. Which, I guess, is the world that a lot of Isles fans are comfortable in.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Without Tavares, the Isles are basically the Sabres. The Paul Stastny's and Patrick Maroon's of this world aren't gonna change that. You're back to being the team that pisses Victor Kozlov and Ruslan Fedotenko on your head and calls it rain. Which, I guess, is the world that a lot of Isles fans are comfortable in.

Stastny would be adequate behind Barzal. He’s experienced and can still contribute.

Kozlov was known as a passenger who never contributed the way Stastny does; not a valid comparison. Stastny actually competes.

Feds was a grinder.

Reactions: SI

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
what a clustermuck eh? A capable and bright GM not afraid to pull some triggers can turn this around in my opinion pretty fast as we have some assets to push to the middle of the table. Anders Lee, great story, great attitude, low maintenance player that has what 70 plus goals in 2 years is a great asset that we acquired cheap is an example. Make it work already, Isles fans are hungry for a winner. It's like we sold our souls to the devil for those 4 cups. Where is the urgency? Looking not really forward to sitting here in September and thinking well maybe this skinny guy from Russia with good numbers or heck even Iraq that we uncovered in some obscure league can surprise us and we fooled the rest of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->