Rest In Peace, lomiller1

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not a Jets fan (aka this is probably the first time I've been on this subforum) but super sad to hear about this.... God with AI and all the other technology around will we ever find a way to eradicate (or come close to) cancer.

Praying for lomiller1's family, if anyone on here knew him personally I am very sorry to hear about his passing.

God Bless.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
View attachment 796113

Lowell Allen Miller, aged fifty-six, of Winnipeg, Manitoba, passed away at the Victoria General Hospital on the evening of December 21, 2023, during the longest night of the year. For almost two years, he had bravely fought against a vicious and unrelenting cancer.

Lowell was born on June 19, 1967 in Central Butte, Saskatchewan, to Inez Atchison and Stanley Miller, and named for his uncle, Trooper Lowell H. Miller, who died in the Second World War and is buried at Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, Netherlands.

He was predeceased in 2019 by his stepfather, Terrance Mitchell. He is survived by his mother, Inez Miller (Terrance) of Winnipeg; sister Cynthia MacEachern (Ronald) of Ottawa; nieces Megan MacEachern (Bradley) of Ottawa; and Erin MacEachern (Pawel) of Hamburg, Germany. He also leaves aunts, uncles, and cousins throughout Manitoba and points west who will mourn him, as well as lifelong friends Cory and Kim Enns and their daughters Sydney (Dorion), Brooklyn, and Londyne. Lowell’s father, Stanley, passed away in 2014, leaving three brothers he was not fortunate enough to know.

Lowell grew up in The Pas, Manitoba, spending his early years between Dauphin and The Pas among his cousins, swimming, riding dirt bikes, and always playing games. Upon his family's move to Winnipeg, Lowell started basketball and tae kwon do, where he obtained a black belt and succeeded in competition. With Cory and friends, he played baseball, fished, camped, and hiked throughout his adult life. Lowell was an avid sports fan and always supported his beloved Winnipeg Jets and Blue Bombers. Lowell held season tickets for the Bombers for years, and his family enjoyed watching games with him at IG Field while he could still make the pilgrimage.

Lowell was the proud owner of two Chocolate Labrador Retrievers, Nym and Trapper, and spent happy hours at the Maple Grove Dog Park. For years, he enjoyed the company of a regular group of dogs and owners who walked daily and considered themselves a “pack.” Lowell’s friends at Maple Grove already miss his presence, though Nym and Trapper still visit the park daily with Inez.

Lowell graduated from the University of Manitoba with a Degree in Electrical Engineering and was called as an Obligated Engineer in 2002. He also earned a Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology from Red River College. His work was in network and computer system administration for Manitoba. Lowell proudly served in the Army as a signaler in the 735 Winnipeg Communication Regiment during his college and university years.

Cremation has taken place. A service to celebrate his life, followed by a reception, will be held on Saturday, January 13, 2024, at 1:00 p.m., at E.J. Coutu Funeral Home, 680 Archibald Street, Winnipeg. All are welcome.

Lowell was cared for by many excellent healthcare professionals over the past two years, including Oncologists, Cardiologists, Surgeons, Palliative Care and Home Health Care Teams. The family would like to thank everyone who crossed our path during Lowell’s illness. Special mention must go to Dr. Christina Kim, Dr. Eren Beshara, the Victoria General Hospital's Oncology Department and Urgent Care Department, and Dr. Shan Pirzada, who ensured Lowell passed with dignity—also Dr Lyle Stronger and Dr Paul Daeninck, who stepped in for Lowell at critical junctures.

In place of flowers, donations are welcome to the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation or the Victoria Hospital Foundation (thevicfoundation.ca).

To send flowers to the family in memory of Lowell Allen Miller please visit our Tribute Store

God f***ing damnit what the f***ing hell… :cry::cry:😰😰😰😰

Losing anyone from this board is beyond unfortunate. You build a unique bond with people online and hearing about something like this is heartbreaking. And this really hits me hard as my mom succumbed to cancer back in October after originally beating breast cancer. And she was only 6 years older too. Sigh….

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Losing anyone from this board is beyond unfortunate. You build a unique bond with people online and hearing about something like this is heartbreaking. And this really hits me hard as my mom succumbed to cancer back in October after originally beating breast cancer. And she was only 6 years older too. Sigh….
My condolences to you as well

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not a Jets fan (aka this is probably the first time I've been on this subforum) but super sad to hear about this.... God with AI and all the other technology around will we ever find a way to eradicate (or come close to) cancer.

Praying for lomiller1's family, if anyone on here knew him personally I am very sorry to hear about his passing.

God Bless.

This is not 'copium' in any way, but I am quite convinced that the flat-out cure for cancer is but a generation away. And when it hits, I feel it will be the single greatest human achievement since we put humanity on the moon. Horribly unfortunate for those who were born too soon for it, but that is so for all diseases and infirmities and even birth 'defects'.

And while of course we are all riding the highs and lows that is the rollercoaster of pro sports fandom --as lomiller1 himself loved to do!-- this thread can be a great reminder to keep us on an even keel. Can incompetent officiating or a palpable Sportsnet TO bias or Connor McDavid's endless petulance really be all that important, when we've only got a set number of days to live life and we never find out how many those are until it's too late?

Nov 24, 2006
This is not 'copium' in any way, but I am quite convinced that the flat-out cure for cancer is but a generation away. And when it hits, I feel it will be the single greatest human achievement since we put humanity on the moon. Horribly unfortunate for those who were born too soon for it, but that is so for all diseases and infirmities and even birth 'defects'.

And while of course we are all riding the highs and lows that is the rollercoaster of pro sports fandom --as lomiller1 himself loved to do!-- this thread can be a great reminder to keep us on an even keel. Can incompetent officiating or a palpable Sportsnet TO bias or Connor McDavid's endless petulance really be all that important, when we've only got a set number of days to live life and we never find out how many those are until it's too late?
Well said.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Sorry about your mom, Duke. Lost mine to Ovarian cancer some 24 years ago. Still miss her, still hurts.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Sorry about your mom, Duke. Lost mine to Ovarian cancer some 24 years ago. Still miss her, still hurts.

Aye. Lost my mom back in 2004 from an automobile accident just after Christmas. She was only 49. It's hard as all hell losing anybody close to you. I was not prepared, and it destroyed me for three years. I'm glad I only became cripplingly depressed and didn't turn to substance abuse.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Rest in Peace. My mom passed away on January 1. I can only imagine what his family is going through.

Aye. Lost my mom back in 2004 from an automobile accident just after Christmas. She was only 49. It's hard as all hell losing anybody close to you. I was not prepared, and it destroyed me for three years. I'm glad I only became cripplingly depressed and didn't turn to substance abuse.

Hey boys I am really sorry to hear of everyone’s losses. Way too young for your loved ones.

I am with @AlphaLackey I think we are one gen away and we will look back on most of these diseases from the rear view mirror (fingers crosses). I lost my brother to Cystic Fibrosis at 26 and at some point medical advancement will end that god forsaken terminal disease too.

RIP to those that have left before us.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh man I've been trying to stay away from the boards because we have been having a good season and to come in and see this..

Rest in Peace Lomiller1. We had some great spirited debates and celebrated some good times on this board that I will remember fondly. My condolences go out to all of Lomiller1's family, may they find peace as well.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This thread was an absolute bitch to read. The title gave away the ending to the story, but with every post by lomiller1 my heart was torn out because I knew what I would eventually see. Soon, there would be no more updates from Lowell.

We've lost a lot of folks due to cancer over the years and it never seems to end. f*** cancer.

My condolences to all of you who knew Lowell and to his family and friends everywhere.

Damn. We lost another. Rest in peace, Lowell.

cc06693d70dbbeac2d74e8d3e137e5eb.gif

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
RIP lomiller1. Sincere condolences to your family and friends. When I read his first update to us of his medical diagnosis I was tempted to post and just say something. Anything really would have been fine, just to let him know that he wasn't alone. I suspect he knew that, but it was an opportunity missed. I know. I'm walking the same path at the moment that he was, and hoping for a better outcome, but I'm lacking in confidence there. I was also colon cancer, but only stage 3. Things have been ok since surgery and chemo, and I'm approaching my one year anniversary of finishing treatment - with tests coming up soon. Fingers crossed but dark thoughts are there. When you know, you kinda know. I haven't been the same person physically since treatment. I'm a few years older than lomiller1 - not a lot of years, but maybe its just age related aches, pain and fatigue. lol.

So cancer sucks, but I think it's worse and maybe harder for those around us. I've thought a lot about that and as I prepare mentally for the bad news, I have come to the conclusion that for me its real and therefore we deal. We have to deal with it, and so we do and we move forward and make our peace. For my wife, family and others, it's less personal or less decisive maybe and therefore more uncertain but definitely longer lasting. So more difficult for them. I could be wrong though. Kinda hope so in a way.

I'm not looking for any sympathy really, just felt I needed to express something in this forum for my sake and to share my thoughts - that cancer sucks - and importantly, that this years Jets have given me more pleasure than I expected them to - thanks guys. This forum always gives me pleasure as well - so thanks to you all for that as well. As I said, not looking for sympathy. Just needed to voice my inner thoughts out loud, but not out loud. Thanks for listening. Go Jets Go!!!

wraithsonwings

Honour The Past
Sponsor
Mar 19, 2019
Winnipeg
RIP lomiller1. Sincere condolences to your family and friends. When I read his first update to us of his medical diagnosis I was tempted to post and just say something. Anything really would have been fine, just to let him know that he wasn't alone. I suspect he knew that, but it was an opportunity missed. I know. I'm walking the same path at the moment that he was, and hoping for a better outcome, but I'm lacking in confidence there. I was also colon cancer, but only stage 3. Things have been ok since surgery and chemo, and I'm approaching my one year anniversary of finishing treatment - with tests coming up soon. Fingers crossed but dark thoughts are there. When you know, you kinda know. I haven't been the same person physically since treatment. I'm a few years older than lomiller1 - not a lot of years, but maybe its just age related aches, pain and fatigue. lol.

So cancer sucks, but I think it's worse and maybe harder for those around us. I've thought a lot about that and as I prepare mentally for the bad news, I have come to the conclusion that for me its real and therefore we deal. We have to deal with it, and so we do and we move forward and make our peace. For my wife, family and others, it's less personal or less decisive maybe and therefore more uncertain but definitely longer lasting. So more difficult for them. I could be wrong though. Kinda hope so in a way.

I'm not looking for any sympathy really, just felt I needed to express something in this forum for my sake and to share my thoughts - that cancer sucks - and importantly, that this years Jets have given me more pleasure than I expected them to - thanks guys. This forum always gives me pleasure as well - so thanks to you all for that as well. As I said, not looking for sympathy. Just needed to voice my inner thoughts out loud, but not out loud. Thanks for listening. Go Jets Go!!!
Thank you for sharing. Best of luck.
You are not alone.

Also... f*** cancer!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

OK, I won't call it sympathy, but I am pulling for you and I'm sure everyone else here is also.
Hope you're wrong about the bad news.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg

Positive thoughts your way my friend. Hope to hear some good news soon. Fight the good fight and get on the other side of it!

Reactions: slurpee addict

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad