Resident Evil 7 Biohazard

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
10 hour game?

They should stop popping these out every year if they are putting no effort into them anymore. Can't believe someone would pay full price for this game.

Depends on playing style. Took me 12 hours.

8-12 hours is standard for AAA games these days. I don't sit and play a game all in one night, I take breaks and stretch it out through a few days to a week. Makes me want to play it more and work up my own theories and imagination.

10 hours is completely fine.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Eh, after thought I guess I'm in your boat. I feel like i always lose interest in games if they are too long so a 10-15 hour game for me would be perfect.

How long was TLOU? That was a good length.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I haven't played Resident Evil yet, but Uncharted 4 is far from untouchable.

From what I've seen resident evil does photorealism in the spirit of PT really well.

The environments are nice. It's the character/enemy design where RE7 really starts to pale in comparison.

PT had some incredibly haunting imagery in it. Like, actually-gave-me-nightmares-for-a-couple-nights level haunting. There's one boss in RE7 who's at best kinda gross looking, but I think a pretty major shortcoming the game has in the horror department is that none of the enemies are visually frightening... or even really visually interesting at all. The very deliberate VR trappings of the game also just start to come across as lame when you're not playing in VR.

Becoming tangential but I really didn't find this game to be scary. I'm sure VR contributes to it even with the lame enemy design just by virtue of all of the "oh hey this thing is uncomfortably close to me" moments, but playing on a TV really just felt like a less tense version of Outlast--which I already considered to be more of a "roller coaster" sort of horror. The difference between this and PT (while limited) feels, perhaps unsurprisingly, just like the difference between RE and Silent Hill back in the day.

Last edited:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Been playing through the game. I really liked it at the start, but it's started to kind of die down for me.

[spoil]I'm on the wrecked ship right now, so obviously I'm not finished, but it seems like the whole story is focused around this family and then all of a sudden the story flips to focus on Eveline despite only being mentioned a few times throughout the game to the point you get to the ship. [/spoil]

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Been playing through the game. I really liked it at the start, but it's started to kind of die down for me.

[spoil]I'm on the wrecked ship right now, so obviously I'm not finished, but it seems like the whole story is focused around this family and then all of a sudden the story flips to focus on Eveline despite only being mentioned a few times throughout the game to the point you get to the ship. [/spoil]

I felt that the

[spoil]ship stuff really took away from the game to be honest, lasted too long. I really liked it at first but got tired of it fast.[/spoil]

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Finished it late last week

[spoil]Boy was that game a drag from the ship to the finish. I absolutely loved the first few hours of that game, being in the house and dealing with the residents. Really went downhill after that, IMO. Still really enjoyed the game overall and it was a nice return to form[/spoil]

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I really enjoyed the game and there are only two parts that irk the hell out of me:

1. [spoil]The flashback on the ship with Mia takes way, WAY too long between save points.[/spoil]

2. [spoil]The final boss felt completely different and out of place from the rest of the game. I didn't hate it, it was just... not fitting.[/spoil]

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I replayed the first little bit of this game, some jumpscares still got me. The basement had me saying "oh sh**" a lot as well

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I really enjoyed the game and there are only two parts that irk the hell out of me:

1. [spoil]The flashback on the ship with Mia takes way, WAY too long between save points.[/spoil]

2. [spoil]The final boss felt completely different and out of place from the rest of the game. I didn't hate it, it was just... not fitting.[/spoil]

Absolutely agree on both of those points. #2 especially.

[spoil]I also felt like the choice you made between Mia and the other girl (zoe?) didn't really matter since you end up seeing Mia for the rest of the game. I picked Zoe and I don't honestly remember if I even saw her from that point on? I know the ending changes, but the game seemed very unchanged by your choice.[/spoil]

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Absolutely agree on both of those points. #2 especially.

[spoil]I also felt like the choice you made between Mia and the other girl (zoe?) didn't really matter since you end up seeing Mia for the rest of the game. I picked Zoe and I don't honestly remember if I even saw her from that point on? I know the ending changes, but the game seemed very unchanged by your choice.[/spoil]

[spoil] it didn't matter at all. Zoe apparently still dies and you end up as Mia washed up on the ship and play as her [/spoil]

If anything I hated it because it meant two separate trophies and it was annoying and made my 2nd guess me decision only to find out it didn't matter at

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad