Rene Robert 184
Rod Gilbert 30
Reggie Leach 24
Jean Pronovost 22
Bob Nevin 6
Yvan Cournoyer 4
Rick Martin 3
Bill Goldsworthy 2
Ed Westfall, Mike Murphy, Rick Kehoe, Pierre Plante, Steve Vickers each with 1.

Left Wing:

Rick Martin 243
Steve Vickers 85
Danny Grant 83
Bill Barber 46
Johnny Bucyk 12
Don Lever 7
Yvon Lambert 6
Lowell MacDonald 6
Dan Maloney 3
Eric Vail 3
Craig Ramsay 2
Dennis Hull 1
Garry Monahan 1

With 18 teams in the league, I would expect these to add up to 486 for each position, but other than goalie and center they don't.

Goal: 486
Defense: 932 which is 40 points short
Center: 486
Right Wing: 550 which is 64 over. In the Awards pdf file it gives Rene Robert on the 2nd team with 118 points which would change it to 484 and 2 points short
Left Wing: 498 which is 16 points over

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
BM67 said:
With 18 teams in the league, I would expect these to add up to 486 for each position, but other than goalie and center they don't.

Goal: 486
Defense: 932 which is 40 points short
Center: 486
Right Wing: 550 which is 64 over. In the Awards pdf file it gives Rene Robert on the 2nd team with 118 points which would change it to 484 and 2 points short
Left Wing: 498 which is 16 points over

I noticed that too. These numbers were copied from photocopies of newspaper clippings were the small typing is somewhat unreadable in a few spots. I should have of checked them against the PDF file as Robert`s totals there would obviously be more likely.

Ogopogo*

Well it looks like the only major holes in our lists are the all star votes for the pre-1980s. I am going to turn up the heat on the NHL head office and see if I can get some results. It is ridiculous how they are ignoring me.

If I turn it up, like Andy Dufresne with his library funding for Shawshank, perhaps I will get what we need.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
OK, I have just found some missing votes by picking up a couple of old THN Yearbooks.

1988-89
Selke - We were missing three 3rd place votes that belong to Stan Smyl.
SELKE: Guy Carbonneau, Mtl C 222 (36-11-9); Esa Tikkanen, Edm LW 73 (8-8-9); Colin Patterson, Cgy W 73 (6-11-10); Rick Meagher, StL C 29 (1-6-6); Bengt Gustaffson, Wsh RW 28 (3-3-4); Doug Gilmour, Cgy 21 (1-5-1); Dirk Graham, Chi 20 (0-6-2); Thomas Steen, Wpg 16 (1-3-2); Jan Erixon, NYR 13 (2-0-3); Jari Kurri, Edm 12 (1-2-1); Stewart Gavin, Min 8 (1-1-0); Steve Yzerman, Det 8 (1-1-0); Joel Otto, Cgy 8 (1-1-0); Ron Sutter, Phi 7 (0-2-1); Steve Kasper, Bos/LA 6 (1-0-1); Patrick Sundstrom, NJ 5 (0-1-2); Steve Larmer, Chi 3 (0-1-0); Mats Naslund, Mtl 3 (0-1-0); Stan Smyl, Van 3 (0-0-3); Mike Ridley, Wsh 2 (0-0-2); Randy Cunneyworth, Pit 1 (0-0-1); Gerard Gallant, Det 1 (0-0-1); Bob Gould, Wsh 1 (0-0-1); Mike McPhee, Mtl 1 (0-0-1); Brian Skrudland, Mtl 1 (0-0-1); Bobby Smith, Mtl 1 (0-0-1); John Tonelli, LA 1 (0-0-1)

Adams - We were missing one 2nd place vote that belongs to Brian Sutter, taking him from 5 to 8 points.
ADAMS: Pat Burns, Mtl 135 (24-4-3); Bob McCammon, Van 59 (4-9-12); Terry Crisp, Cgy 40 (2-8-6); Michel Bergeron, NYR 15 (0-4-3); Pierre Page, Min 14 (1-2-3); Bryan Murray, Wsh 14 (0-4-2); Brian Sutter, StL 8 (1-1-0); Robbie Ftorek, LA 1 (0-0-1); Jacques Demers, Det 1 (0-0-1); Terry O`Reilly, Bos 1 (0-0-1)

Here is the all-star team voting for 88-89:

ALL-STAR TEAMS:
GOALTENDER: Patrick Roy, Mtl 291 (52-10-1); Mike Vernon, Cgy 193 (9-48-4); Greg Millen, StL 22 (1-1-14); Pete Peeters, Wsh 15 (1-1-7); Ron Hextall, Phi 13 (0-1-10); Kirk McLean, Van 13 (0-0-13); Kelly Hrudey, LA 7 (0-1-4); Grant Fuhr, Edm 5 (0-1-2); Jon Casey, Min 3 (0-0-3); Brian Hayward, Mtl 1 (0-0-1); Rejean Lemelin, Bos 1 (0-0-1); Peter Sidorkiewicz, Hfd 1 (0-0-1); John Vanbiesbrouck 1 (0-0-1); Steve Weeks, Van. 1 (0-0-1)
DEFENSE: Chris Chelios, Mtl 267 (31-18-4-2-3-1); Paul Coffey, Pit 192 (15-11-13-3-6-8); Al MacInnis, Cgy 151 (5-10-12-10-7-3); Ray Bourque, Bos 136 (5-7-14-8-7-3); Steve Duchesne, LA 111 (1-3-9-17-5-8); Brad McCrimmon 57 (4-4-2-2-4-1); Brian Leetch, NYR 51 (0-2-1-6-8-12); Phil Housley, Buf 42 (0-3-2-3-8-4); Kevin Lowe, Edm 37 (0-3-2-4-2-2); Gary Suter, Cgy 33 (1-1-2-3-3-5); Scott Stevens, Wsh 24 (0-1-1-2-4-6); Rod Langway, Wsh 8 (1-0-1-0-0-0); Petr Svoboda, Mtl 7 (0-0-0-2-1-0); Tom Laidlaw, LA 3 (0-0-0-1-0-0); Kevin Hatcher, Wsh 3 (0-0-0-0-1-2); Craig Ludwig, Mtl 2 (0-0-0-0-2-0); Doug Wilson, Chi 2 (0-0-0-0-1-1); Charlie Huddy, Edm 2 (0-0-0-0-0-2); Rick Zombo 2 (0-0-0-0-0-2); Paul Reinhart, Van 1 (0-0-0-0-1-0); Tom Kurvers, NJ 1 (0-0-0-0-0-1); Craig Muni, Edm 1 (0-0-0-0-0-1); Fredrik Olausson, Wpg 1 (0-0-0-0-0-1) (That isn't 1st-6th place votes. That's 1st-1st-2nd-2nd-3rd-3rd.)
CENTER: Mario Lemieux, Pit 277 (48-11-4); Wayne Gretzky, LA 201 (10-49-4); Steve Yzerman, Det 87 (5-3-53); Bernie Nicholls, LA 2 (0-0-2)
RIGHT WING: Joe Mullen, Cgy 276 (48-11-3); Jari Kurri, Edm 150 (8-32-14); Rob Brown, Pit 72 (3-11-24); Kevin Dineen, Hfd 25 (2-3-6); Rick Tocchet, Phi 15 (0-3-6); Cam Neely 10 (1-1-2); Tim Kerr, Phi 7 (0-1-4); Bernie Nicholls, LA 5 (1-0-0); Steve Larmer, Chi 4 (0-0-4); Hakan Loob, Cgy 3 (0-1-0)
LEFT WING: Luc Robitaille, LA 251 (40-15-6); Gerard Gallant, Det 153 (13-27-7); Mats Naslund, Mtl 60 (5-8-11); Geoff Courtnall, Wsh 42 (4-4-10); Esa Tikkanen, Edm 24 (0-4-12); Craig Simpson, Edm 15 (1-3-1); Tomas Sandstrom, NYR 9 (0-0-9); Rob Brown, Pit 3 (0-1-0); Mike Krushelnyski, LA 3 (0-1-0); John MacLean, NJ 3 (0-0-3); Dirk Graham, Chi 2 (0-0-2); Randy Burridge, Bos 1 (0-0-1); John Tonelli, LA 1 (0-0-1)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Can this thread be stickied? I often find myself digging through the pages to find it. It's one of the best resources ever developed on this board. Kudos to everyone who contributed.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Epsilon said:
Can this thread be stickied? I often find myself digging through the pages to find it. It's one of the best resources ever developed on this board. Kudos to everyone who contributed.

If anyone out there has access to old issues of The Hockey News through their library that would be the best way to fill in the gaps. I`ve checked what I could through newspaper archives, but some years the full results weren`t included.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
Pearson? Broadcasters vs Writers? 2 halfs of voting?

this is a fabulous “database†resource! thanks to the puckheads who pulled it off!

as we’re reaching the end of the playing season and approaching the “awards season†maybe you veteran brainiacs can help out the rest of us rookies:

some awards/trophies are non-voting:
Art Ross, Jennings, Crozier, Rocket Richard, +/-, Presidents.

then the Vezina is voted on by the 30 GMs who pick 3 goalies in order – 5 points for 1st pick, 3 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd. I understand that one.

Jack Adams: voted on by “the NHL Broadcasters Association†– how is this different from the “Professional Hockey Writers Association†(who vote on the 6 or 7 other major awards)?

and how many voting members are in each association?
is it 105 or so? or is it half that?
what was this about 1st half / 2nd half voting? do they all get to vote twice a season?

and is it – each member selects whatever 5 players they want, in order, then their 1st pick gets 5 points, 2nd gets 4, and so on?

do all of the Pro Writers also vote on the Conn Smythe? seems to me not all of them do, or maybe I’m wrong about that.

lastly, I notice you don’t list the Pearson, as voted by the players. seems important to me – that the guys who are on the ice all season can probably make a more accurate call than the (albeit smart) armchairs in the pressbox.
does anyone know if this is just one vote per player, or how that one works?
is it all 853 players? plus the 91 goalies who played this season?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
LannysStach said:
this is a fabulous “database†resource! thanks to the puckheads who pulled it off!

as we’re reaching the end of the playing season and approaching the “awards season†maybe you veteran brainiacs can help out the rest of us rookies:

some awards/trophies are non-voting:
Art Ross, Jennings, Crozier, Rocket Richard, +/-, Presidents.

then the Vezina is voted on by the 30 GMs who pick 3 goalies in order – 5 points for 1st pick, 3 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd. I understand that one.

Jack Adams: voted on by “the NHL Broadcasters Association†– how is this different from the “Professional Hockey Writers Association†(who vote on the 6 or 7 other major awards)?

and how many voting members are in each association?
is it 105 or so? or is it half that?
what was this about 1st half / 2nd half voting? do they all get to vote twice a season?

and is it – each member selects whatever 5 players they want, in order, then their 1st pick gets 5 points, 2nd gets 4, and so on?

do all of the Pro Writers also vote on the Conn Smythe? seems to me not all of them do, or maybe I’m wrong about that.

lastly, I notice you don’t list the Pearson, as voted by the players. seems important to me – that the guys who are on the ice all season can probably make a more accurate call than the (albeit smart) armchairs in the pressbox.
does anyone know if this is just one vote per player, or how that one works?
is it all 853 players? plus the 91 goalies who played this season?
I consider the Conn Smythe and the Pearson to be the most prestigious awards in the league. The Conn Smythe because it goes to the playoff MVP, and if you win the Conn Smythe, 90 per cent of the time you also won the Stanley Cup. The Pearson is for the most outstanding player, not the most valuable player (and there is a difference, trust me, just ask Iginla and Theodore), and it is voted on by the players.

But I have never seen a voting breakdown released for either award. Conn Smythe usually has lots of speculation, and several viable candidates, but they usually just announce the winner. An announcement for the three Pearson finalists is made during the spring, and the winner is announced prior to the NHL awards, but I've never seen an exact vote breakdown for the finalists, or all the players who receive consideration.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Current 5 place voting is on a 10 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 1 point scale.

Only a small group of Pro Writers get to vote on the Conn Smythe, somewhere around a dozen or so, and I've never seen a vote total for it or the Pearson.

Over the years there have been 3 voters for each of the NHL teams, as last season there were 105 voters there must be some extra "national" voters.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
With CP files) - Traded by the Boston Bruins earlier in the season, Joe Thornton responded by winning the Hart Trophy as the NHL's Most Valuable player with the San Jose Sharks.

Thornton won the award over Calgary goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff and New York Rangers forward Jaromir Jagr.

Thornton also captured the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s leading scorer with a career-high 125 points (29 goals, 96 assists). He tallied 20 goals and 72 assists in 58 games with San Jose following the November 30 trade from Boston.

"I went into a situation and got a chance to play with some really good players," said Thornton. "I never really changed my game. I'm just playing with some different players, that's all."

Related Info
NHL Awards Notebook
Ovechkin named to first all-star team
Top 10: TSN NHL Awards
Thornton wins Hart
1-on-1 with Thornton
TSN's NHL Awards
McGuire's 2005-06 Monsters
It was the fifth time in the last six seasons that a Canadian won the Hart, which is voted on by members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

Thornton's points total was 1,058. Jagr got 974 Hart points and Kiprusoff was third with 561. Eric Staal of the Carolina Hurricanes was fourth with 121.

"I was a big hockey fan so I would always watch these awards," said Thornton, remarking on the star quality of many of the names on the beautiful Hart. "Just to be mentioned with and to rub elbows with those names is a huge compliment.

"Just to see Wayne (Gretzky) here is a big thrill for myself."

If he had any hard feelings towards the Bruins for trading him, they've been set aside.

"I'm just in a new place playing the same game I always played," he said. "I wish the Bruins all the best."

Kiprusoff still won the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goaltender in addition to claiming his first William Jennings Trophy as the goaltender on the club allowing the fewest goals on the season.

Kiprusoff led all goaltenders in goals-against average (2.03) and shutouts (10), ranked second in victories (42), third in save percentage (.923).

Kiprusoff did not attend the gala. He's in Finland so GM-coach Darryl Sutter accepted the trophy on his behalf. Sutter joked that Kiprusoff would like to thank the Flames coaching staff.

Kiprusoff won the Vezina over rookie Henrik Lundqvist and veteran Martin Broduer.

Jagr did not go home empty handed. He won the Lester B. Pearson Award as the "NHL's most outstanding player" as voted by fellow members of the National Hockey League Players' Association.

"With this award, you get voted on by players you play against every night and I think they understand the game better than the media," Jagr said with a laugh.

It was the third Pearson win for Jagr, who also won in 1999 and 2000.

Jagr's 123 points marked the third-highest output of his career, and his 24 power-play goals were a career-best.

Jagr beat out Washington Captials rookie Alexander Ovechkin and Thornton for the honour.

Ovechkin capped a phenomenal freshman season by winning the Calder Memorial Trophy as the NHL rookie of the year. He beat out perhaps the toughest class in history, topping Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby and Calgary's Dion Phaneuf.

"I never felt any pressure," Ovechkin said of his amazing first year. "I just enjoyed playing in the NHL, I enjoyed my life. It was my dream being in the best league in the world."

Ovechkin wished Crosby and Phaneuf best of luck in the future and delivered some of his thank yous in Russian.

Just getting nominated was tough enough, with many tremendous rookies pushing for the honour in 2005-2006.

Ovechkin led all rookies in scoring with 106 points (52 goals, 54 assists), became the second rookie in history to tally 50 goals and 100 points in a season (Winnipeg's Teemu Selanne, 1992-93).

He also led the NHL in shots (425), ranked third in points, and tied for third in goals.

Nicklas Lidstrom of the Detroit Red Wings won his fourth James Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defenceman.

Lidstrom has been nominated seven times in the last eight seasons, winning four of the last five times.

He led all defencemen in scoring with a career-high 80 points (16 goals, 64 assists) in 80 games. Lidstronm ranked third in the NHL in ice time per game (28:06), and posted a +21 rating.

Scott Niedermayer of the Anaheim Ducks and Sergei Zubov of the Dallas Stars were also nominated for the Norris.

Lidstrom's contract with Detroit is up.

"We'll see what happens," he said. "I'd like to stay in Detroit.

"I've been there 15 years. If we can work things out, I'd like to stay there. We'll have a meeting while I'm out here and, hopefully, we can get something done."

Rod Brond'Amour, fresh off his Stanley Cup victory with the carolina hurricanes, won the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the league's top defensive forward. He led all forwards in ice time per game (24:17), led all players in face-offs taken (2,145), and ranked third in face-off winning percentage (59.1%).

"For this award, you have to be on a good team to get nominated," Brind'Amour said. "You look at guys who have won it in the past, there was nobody that finished last that got that award."

He edged Ottawa's Mike Fisher and three-time winner Jere Lehtinen for the honour.

Lindy Ruff was on the Jack Adams Award as coach of the year. He led the Sabres to a 52-24-6 record for 110 points, a 25-point improvement over 2003-04, and set a franchise record for victories in a season. Hired in July, 1997, Ruff holds the longest current tenure among NHL head coaches.

Ruff edged Carolina's Peter Laviolette by one point for the Jack Adams Award as NHL coach of the year, the closest race ever.

"I would trade him that point (in the voting) and take the silver thing he has over there," Ruff said of the Stanley Cup-champion Laviolette. "But it was a tremendous honour to win this.

"It's been 13 years of coaching, some as an assistant. The year we had as a team put me in this position."

Detroit Red Wings' forward Pavel Datsyuk won the Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play. He led the Red Wings in scoring with a career-high 87 points (28 goals, 59 assists). Datsyuk has just 22 minutes in penalties in 75 games.

The other finalists were Patrick Marleau of the San Jose Sharks and 2004 Byng winner Brad Richards of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy for perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey went to Anaheim star Teemu Selanne.

Selanne was unable to attend the awards gala because he's in Finland operating a charity hockey school.

"Winning this trophy means a lot to me," Selanne said in a videotaped message.

The King Clancy Memorial Trophy for leadership and humanitarian contribution to his community went to Washington Capitals goaltender Olaf Kolzig.

Kolzig's son, Carson, was diagnosed with autism three years ago.

The veteran goalie established the Carson Kolzig Foundation and, with the help of other players, raises money for the charity to aid others.

CALDER MEMORIAL TROPHY

The Calder Memorial Trophy is awarded annually "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

SIDNEY CROSBY - Center, Pittsburgh Penguins

* Became the youngest player in NHL history to tally 100 points in a season (18 years, eight months, three months younger than Winnipeg's Dale Hawerchuk in 1981-82).
* Led all rookies in assists (63), ranked second in goals (39) and points (102).

ALEXANDER OVECHKIN - Left Wing, Washington Capitals (Winner)

* Led all rookies in scoring with 106 points (52 goals, 54 assists), became the second rookie in history to tally 50 goals and 100 points in a season (Winnipeg's Teemu Selanne, 1992-93).
* Led the NHL in shots (425), ranked third in points, tied for third in goals.

DION PHANEUF - Defense, Calgary Flames

* Led all rookie defensemen in scoring with 49 points (20 goals, 29 assists), became the third blueliner in NHL history to score 20 goals as a rookie (New York Rangers' Brian Leetch, 23 in 1988-89, Colorado Rockies' Barry Beck, 22 in 1977-78).

FRANK J. SELKE TROPHY

The Frank J. Selke Trophy is awarded annually "to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

ROD BRIND'AMOUR - Center, Carolina Hurricanes (Winner)

* Voted a Selke Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Led all forwards in ice time per game (24:17).
* Led all players in face-offs taken (2,145), ranked third in face-off winning percentage (59.1%).

MIKE FISHER - Center, Ottawa Senators

* Voted a Selke Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Recorded single-season career highs in plus-minus (+23) and shorthanded goals (four).
* The Senators allowed 211 goals, the fewest in the Eastern Conference and third fewest overall.

JERE LEHTINEN - Right Wing, Dallas Stars

* A Selke finalist for the sixth time; won the trophy in 1998, 1999 and 2003, was third in 1997, 2002.
* Vying to become the first four-time Selke winner since Montreal's Bob Gainey captured the award the first four years it was presented (1978-1981).

HART MEMORIAL TROPHY

The Hart Memorial Trophy is awarded annually "to the player adjudged to be the most valuable to his team," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

JAROMIR JAGR - Right Wing, New York Rangers

* Voted a Hart Trophy finalist for the sixth time; finished first in 1999, second in 1995, 1998 and 2000 and third in 2001.
* Finished second in League scoring with 123 points (54 goals, 69 assists).
* Set Rangers franchise records for goals and points in a season.

MIIKKA KIPRUSOFF - Goaltender, Calgary Flames

* Named a Hart Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Won his first William Jennings Trophy (goaltender on the club allowing the fewest goals, 200).
* Led all goaltenders in goals-against average (2.03) and shutouts (10), ranked second in victories (42), third in save percentage (.923).

JOE THORNTON - Center, San Jose Sharks (Winner)

* Named a Hart Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Captured the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s leading scorer with a career-high 125 points (29 goals, 96 assists).
* Tallied 20-72--92 in 58 games with San Jose following Nov. 30 trade from Boston.

JACK ADAMS AWARD

The Jack Adams Award is awarded annually "to the NHL coach adjudged to have contributed the most to his team's success," as selected by the NHL Broadcasters' Association.

PETER LAVIOLETTE - Carolina Hurricanes

* A Jack Adams finalist for the first time.
* Led the Hurricanes to the best record in franchise history (52-22-8, 112 points) and a 36-point improvement over 2003-04 in his first full season with the club.
* Posted two separate nine-game winning streaks, from Oct. 22-Nov. 11 and Dec. 31-Jan. 19.

TOM RENNEY - New York Rangers

* Led the Rangers to a 44-26-12 record for 100 points, a 31-point improvement over 2003-04, and earned a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 1997 in his first full season with the club.

LINDY RUFF - Buffalo Sabres (Winner)

* Led the Sabres to a 52-24-6 record for 110 points, a 25-point improvement over 2003-04, and set a franchise record for victories in a season.
* Hired in July, 1997, Ruff holds the longest current tenure among NHL head coaches.

JAMES NORRIS MEMORIAL TROPHY

The James Norris Trophy is awarded annually "to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-around ability in the position," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

NICKLAS LIDSTROM - Detroit Red Wings (Winner)

* Earned his seventh nomination as Norris finalist in the past eight seasons; has won the award three times, from 2001 through 2003.
* Led all defensemen in scoring with a career-high 80 points (16 goals, 64 assists) in 80 games.
* Ranked third in the NHL in ice time per game (28:06), posted a +21 rating.

SCOTT NIEDERMAYER - Anaheim Mighty Ducks

* A Norris finalist for the second consecutive season; won the award with New Jersey in 2004.
* Ranked sixth among NHL defensemen with 63 points (13 goals, 50 assists), setting single-season career highs in assists and points.
* Appeared in all 82 games and led the Ducks in ice time per game (25:30).

SERGEI ZUBOV - Dallas Stars

* Voted a Norris Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Finished second among NHL defensemen in scoring with 71 points (13 goals, 58 assists).
* Ranked sixth in the NHL in ice time per game (26:26).
* Passed Craig Hartsburg as the Stars' all-time scoring leader among defensemen.

LADY BYNG MEMORIAL TROPHY

The Lady Byng Memorial Trophy is awarded annually "to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability," as selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

PAVEL DATSYUK - Center, Detroit Red Wings (Winner)

* Named a Lady Byng Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Led the Red Wings in scoring with a career-high 87 points (28 goals, 59 assists).
* Appeared in 75 games, assessed 22 minutes in penalties.

PATRICK MARLEAU - Center, San Jose Sharks

* Named a Lady Byng Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Ranked third on the Sharks in scoring with a career-high 86 points (34 goals, 52 assists).
* The Sharks captain played in all 82 games, received 26 minutes in penalties.

BRAD RICHARDS - Center, Tampa Bay Lightning

* A Lady Byng finalist for the second consecutive season; captured the award in 2004.
* Vying to become the first repeat winner of the Lady Byng since Paul Kariya in 1996 and 1997.
* Led the Lightning in scoring with a career-high 91 points (23 goals, 68 assists).
* Played in all 82 games, assessed 32 minutes in penalties.

LESTER B. PEARSON AWARD

The Lester B. Pearson Award is presented annually to the "NHL's most outstanding player" as voted by fellow members of the National Hockey League Players' Association.

JAROMIR JAGR - Right Wing, New York Rangers (Winner)

* Jagr won the Lester B. Pearson Award in 1998-99 and 1999-00.
* Jagr's 123 points marked the third-highest output of his career, and his 24 power-play goals were a career-best.

ALEXANDER OVECHKIN - Left Wing, Washington Capitals

* Would be the youngest player and first rookie to win the Lester B. Pearson.
* Ranked third in the NHL in goals (52) and points (106).
* His 52 goals accounted for almost one-quarter (23%) of his club's season total.

JOE THORNTON - Center, San Jose Sharks

* Nominated a Lester B. Pearson finalist for the second time (2002-03).
* Thornton's 96 assists in 2005-06 were 25 more than any other player, and the League's highest total in 12 seasons.

VEZINA TROPHY

The Vezina Trophy is awarded annually "to the goalkeeper adjudged to be the best at his position," as voted by League General Managers.

MARTIN BRODEUR - New Jersey Devils

* Earned his sixth career nomination as a Vezina finalist; has captured the award in each of the past two seasons (2003, 2004), finished second in 1997 and 1998, was third in 2001.
* Led all goaltenders in victories (43), recording his NHL-record fifth 40-win season and 10th consecutive 30-win campaign.

MIIKKA KIPRUSOFF - Calgary Flames (Winner)

* Named a Vezina Trophy finalist for the first time.
* Won his first William Jennings Trophy (goaltender on the club allowing the fewest goals, 200).
* Led all goaltenders in goals-against average (2.03) and shutouts (10), ranked second in victories (42), third in save percentage (.923).

HENRIK LUNDQVIST - New York Rangers

* The first rookie voted a Vezina Trophy finalist since Washington's Jim Carey in 1994-95.
* Posted a 30-12-9 record, 2.24 goals-against average and .922 save percentage in 53 games; became the first goaltender in franchise history to record 30 victories as a rookie.
* Ranked fourth among NHL goaltenders in save percentage, was fifth in goals-against average.

OTHER NHL TROPHY WINNERS

Other awards presented at the NHL Television Awards Special on June 22:

San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton won the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s points leader. Thornton finished the season with 125 points (29 goals, 96 assists). Sharks linemate Jonathan Cheechoo earned the Maurice Richard Trophy as the League’s goal-scoring leader (56).

Miikka Kiprusoff captured the William M. Jennings Trophy, presented to the goaltender(s) with more than 25 appearances on the club allowing the fewest goals against during the regular season. The Flames finished the season allowing a League-low 200 goals.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Anyone have the vote breakdown for this year's awards yet?
I saw a few vote totals amongst the finalists last night and today in articles.

VEZINA TROPHY
Mikka Kiprusoff, CLG... 140
Martin Brodeur, NJD..... 48
Henrik Lundqvist, NYR...41

HART TROPHY
Joe Thronton, SJS.... 1,058
Jaromir Jagr, NYR........ 974
Miikka Kiprusoff, CLG.... 561

NORRIS TROPHY
Niklas Lidstrom, DET...... 1,152 (91-?-?-?-?)
Scott Niedermayer, ANA.... 817 (29-?-?-?-?)
Sergei Zubov, DAL............ ?

CALDER TROPHY
Alex Ovechkin, WAS.. 1,275 (124-5-0-0)
Sidney Crosby, PIT...... 831
Dion Phaneuf, CLG....... ?

SELKE TROPHY
Rod Brind'Amour, CAR...... 954 (80-?-?)
Jere Lehtinen, DAL.......... 567
Mike Fisher, OTT............ ?

JACK ADAMS AWARD
Lindey Ruff, BUF.............. 155
Peter Laviolette, CAR....... 154
Tom Renney, NYR............. ?

LADY BYNG
Pavel Datsyuk, DET.......... 669 (41-?-?) -
Brad Richards, TBL........... 442
Patrick Marleau, SJS......... ?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Epsilon said:
Anyone have the vote breakdown for this year's awards yet?

I wrote the NHL asking about the complete results; the response was:
That information is unfortunately not available to the public yet. It will be disclosed by the NHL in the coming days. Sorry for the delay.

Not sure why there`s a delay, since some of the numbers have already been mentioned in articles, but at least they responded to one of my e-mails for a change so I guess that`s something. In the Ottawa Citizen last week they mentioned how Senator players did in the voting, so the top five is evident on a couple of awards:

Hart:
1. J. Thornton 1058
2. J. Jagr 974
3. M. Kiprusoff 561
4. ?????
5. D. Alfredsson 119

It`s a safe bet that Ovechkin was 4th.

Norris:
1. N. Lidstrom 1151
2. S. Niedermayer 817
3. S. Zubov 464
4. Z. Chara 430
5. W. Redden 115

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Great stuff!!

This is a great resource, thanks for compiling all this data in one place!

Regarding the Pearson Award, even a list of finalists is useful information IMO.
I started a separate thread to see if anyone has this info, here is what I have found so far (only partial voting for one season):

2006 Jaromir Jagr (Ovechkin, Thornton)
2004 Martin St. Louis (Luongo, Sakic)
2003 Markus Naslund (Forsberg, Thornton)
2002 Jarome Iginla (Burke, Roy)
2001 Joe Sakic (Jagr, Lemieux)
2000 Jaromir Jagr 192 (Bure 159, Pronger 129)
1999 Jaromir Jagr (Hasek, Yashin, Selanne, Joseph)
1998 Dominik Hasek
1997 Dominik Hasek (Kariya, ?)

Note: Voting and order for top three in 2000, not sure if 1999 runners-up in order or not, in no particular order for other seasons.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

2005-06 Award Voting

HART TROPHY

PLAYER, TEAM PTS 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th

1. Joe Thornton, SAN 1,058 67 48 9 1 4
2. Jaromir Jagr, NYR 974 48 49 30 0 1
3. Miikka Kiprusoff, CGY 561 10 24 45 20 8
4. Eric Staal, CAR 121 0 0 9 18 22
5. Daniel Alfredsson, OTT 119 0 2 6 20 15
6. Alexander Ovechkin, WAS 109 1 0 8 14 17
7. Nicklas Lidstrom, DET 106 1 2 7 12 11
8. Scott Niedermayer, ANA 66 1 0 2 13 7
9. Henrik Lundqvist, NYR 46 0 2 4 2 6
10. Rod Brind'Amour, CAR 33 0 1 3 3 2
11. Dany Heatley, OTT 33 0 0 3 4 6
12. Martin Brodeur, NJD 22 0 0 0 6 4
13. Brian Gionta, NJD 18 0 0 1 2 7
14. Teemu Selanne, ANA 18 0 0 0 5 3
15. Jonathan Cheechoo, SAN 16 0 1 0 2 3
16. Tomas Vokoun, NAS 13 1 0 0 0 3
17. Peter Forsberg, PHI 11 0 0 1 2 0
18. Marty Turco, DAL 5 0 0 1 0 0
19. Zdeno Chara, OTT 4 0 0 0 1 1
Mike Modano, DAL 4 0 0 0 1 1
21. Pavel Datsyuk, DET 3 0 0 0 1 0
Simon Gagne, PHI 3 0 0 0 1 0
Ryan Miller, BUF 3 0 0 0 1 0
24. Sidney Crosby, PIT 2 0 0 0 0 2
Ilya Kovalchuk, ATL 2 0 0 0 0 2
26. Paul Kariya, NAS 1 0 0 0 0 1
Chris Pronger, EDM 1 0 0 0 0 1
Brad Richards, TAM 1 0 0 0 0 1
Marek Svatos, COL 1 0 0 0 0 1

NORRIS TROPHY

1. Nicklas Lidstrom, DET 1,152 91 28 8 2 0
2. Scott Niedermayer, ANA 817 29 57 16 15 3
3. Sergei Zubov, DAL 464 0 21 42 31 14
4. Zdeno Chara, OTT 430 5 14 35 30 17
5. Wade Redden, OTT 115 0 1 12 12 12
6. Mathieu Schneider, DET 111 4 5 1 4 19
7. Chris Pronger, EDM 97 0 1 5 15 20
8. Dion Phaneuf, CGY 61 0 0 6 6 13
9. Bryan McCabe, TOR 44 0 1 2 6 9
10. Lubomir Visnovsky, LOS 39 0 0 2 6 11
11. Brian Rafalski, NJD 7 0 1 0 0 0
12. Rob Blake, COL 6 0 0 0 1 3
13. Tomas Kaberle, TOR 5 0 0 0 1 2
14. Robyn Regehr, CGY 2 0 0 0 0 2
15. Dan Boyle, TAM 1 0 0 0 0 1
Sergei Gonchar, PIT 1 0 0 0 0 1
Joni Pitkanen, PHI 1 0 0 0 0 1
Marek Zidlicky, NAS 1 0 0 0 0 1

VEZINA TROPHY

PLAYER, TEAM PTS 1st-2nd-3rd

1. Miikka Kiprusoff, CGY 140 25 5 0
2. Martin Brodeur, NJD 48 2 10 8
3. Henrik Lundqvist, NYR 41 2 9 4
4. Tomas Vokoun, NAS 15 1 1 7
5. Manny Legace, DET 6 0 1 3
Marty Turco, DAL 6 0 1 3
7. Dominik Hasek, OTT 4 0 1 1
Roberto Luongo, FLA 4 0 1 1
9. Jean-Sebastien Giguere, ANA 3 0 1 0
10. Manny Fernandez, MIN 2 0 0 2
11. Martin Gerber, CAR 1 0 0 1

CALDER TROPHY

1. Alexander Ovechkin, WAS 1,275 124 5 0 0 0
2. Sidney Crosby, PIT 831 4 95 19 10 1
3. Dion Phaneuf, CGY 580 0 16 72 35 3
4. Henrik Lundqvist, NYR 455 1 13 34 60 4
5. Brad Boyes, BOS 48 0 0 1 7 22
6. Marek Svatos, COL 48 0 0 1 4 31
7. Andrej Meszaros, OTT 42 0 0 1 5 22
8. Ryan Miller, BUF 26 0 0 0 3 17
9. Jussi Jokinen, DAL 21 0 0 1 1 13
10. Petr Prucha, NYR 15 0 0 0 2 9
11. Jeff Carter, PHI 3 0 0 0 1 0
Chris Higgins, MON 3 0 0 0 1 0
13. Francois Beauchemin, ANA 2 0 0 0 0 2
Brent Seabrook, CHI 2 0 0 0 0 2
15. Chris Kunitz, ANA 1 0 0 0 0 1
Antero Niittymaki, PHI 1 0 0 0 0 1
Ryan Suter, NAS 1 0 0 0 0 1

SELKE TROPHY

1. Rod Brind'Amour, CAR 954 80 16 5 5 2
2. Jere Lehtinen, DAL 567 9 41 27 15 10
3. Mike Fisher, OTT 179 5 6 8 13 8
4. Daniel Alfredsson, OTT 143 5 5 8 5 3
5. John Madden, NJD 142 2 6 9 9 8
6. Kris Draper, DET 136 4 5 7 6 8
7. Stephane Yelle, CGY 126 2 5 8 8 7
8. Jay Pandolfo, NJD 105 0 4 10 6 9
9. Henrik Zetterberg, DET 98 2 6 3 6 3
10. Brian Rolston, MIN 96 4 4 3 3 4
11. Wes Walz, MIN 85 0 3 8 6 6
12. Simon Gagne, PHI 65 3 2 3 1 3
13. Brenden Morrow, DAL 60 1 3 2 4 7
14. Marian Hossa, ATL 53 2 2 2 2 3
15. Chris Drury, BUF 32 0 2 2 1 5
16. P.J. Axelsson, BOS 31 1 1 2 1 1
17. Andy McDonald, ANA 30 2 1 0 1 0
18. Martin Gelinas, FLA 30 0 1 3 2 2
19. Joe Thornton, SAN 27 1 1 0 3 1
20. Craig Conroy, LOS 25 1 1 1 0 3

LADY BYNG TROPHY

1. Pavel Datsyuk, DET 669 41 21 14 12 6
2. Brad Richards, TAM 442 12 23 21 15 11
3. Patrick Marleau, SAN 356 13 16 15 7 18
4. Daniel Alfredsson, OTT 190 9 8 5 5 4
5. Teemu Selanne, ANA 144 5 6 6 6 4
6. Henrik Zetterberg, DET 127 2 6 6 8 11
7. Steve Yzerman, DET 125 11 1 1 0 3
8. Jason Spezza, OTT 114 0 3 13 8 4
9. Simon Gagne, PHI 113 3 5 6 4 6
10. Nicklas Lidstrom, DET 101 3 5 4 4 4
11. Patrice Bergeron, BOS 71 2 3 1 7 4
12. Paul Kariya, NAS 69 1 2 3 8 6
13. Jay Pandolfo, NJD 58 2 3 2 2 1
14. Andy McDonald, ANA 57 1 1 3 6 7
15. Joe Thornton, SAN 44 3 2 0 0 0
16. Joe Sakic, COL 44 2 1 2 0 7
17. P.J. Axelsson, BOS 41 0 3 2 3 1
18. Steve Rucchin, NYR 38 0 2 2 4 2
19. Jere Lehtinen, DAL 31 1 2 0 1 4
20. Chris Drury, BUF 30 0 3 1 1 1

ADAMS AWARD

PLAYER, TEAM PTS 1st-2nd-3rd

1. Lindy Ruff, BUF 155 20 15 10
2. Peter Laviolette, CAR 154 20 16 6
3. Tom Renney, NYR 127 13 18 8
4. Barry Trotz, NAS 37 2 5 12
5. Mike Babcock, DET 28 4 2 2
6. Lou Lamoriello, NJD 25 4 1 2
7. Randy Carlyle, ANA 25 1 3 11
8. Dave Tippett, DAL 19 1 2 8
9. Bryan Murray, OTT 18 2 2 2
10. Darryl Sutter, CGY 9 0 2 3
11. Joel Quenneville, COL 3 0 1 0
12. Bob Gainey, MON 1 0 0 1
Jacques Martin, FLA 1 0 0 1
Ron Wilson, SAN 1 0 0 1

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I heard that Derek Boogard and Brian McGrattan got votes for the Lady Byng trophy the day after the winners were announced. This was in newspapers and must have been true. Yet they are not on the list of Byng vote getters. Did the NHL disallow these votes? I wonder if perhaps this was one of the reasons the total vote getters weren't released until later? Maybe any voters who voted for these 2 got any other votes they made for other trophies disallowed as well?

Anyone know about this?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I heard that Derek Boogard and Brian McGrattan got votes for the Lady Byng trophy the day after the winners were announced. This was in newspapers and must have been true. Yet they are not on the list of Byng vote getters. Did the NHL disallow these votes? I wonder if perhaps this was one of the reasons the total vote getters weren't released until later? Maybe any voters who voted for these 2 got any other votes they made for other trophies disallowed as well?

Anyone know about this?

They wouldn`t disallow the votes. The list above is just the top 20. Usually there`s about 40 or 50 different players that get votes for the Byng and Selke. It would take forever to list them all. It`s also too bad those two writers didn`t take it seriously.

Ogopogo said:
2005-06 Award Voting

Thanks for posting that. Do you have the All-Star Team voting?

1. Joe Thornton, SAN 1,058 67 48 9 1 4
2. Jaromir Jagr, NYR 974 48 49 30 0 1
3. Miikka Kiprusoff, CGY 561 10 24 45 20 8
4. Eric Staal, CAR 121 0 0 9 18 22
5. Daniel Alfredsson, OTT 119 0 2 6 20 15
6. Alexander Ovechkin, WAS 109 1 0 8 14 17
7. Nicklas Lidstrom, DET 106 1 2 7 12 11
8. Scott Niedermayer, ANA 66 1 0 2 13 7
9. Henrik Lundqvist, NYR 46 0 2 4 2 6
10. Rod Brind'Amour, CAR 33 0 1 3 3 2
11. Dany Heatley, OTT 33 0 0 3 4 6
12. Martin Brodeur, NJD 22 0 0 0 6 4
13. Brian Gionta, NJD 18 0 0 1 2 7
14. Teemu Selanne, ANA 18 0 0 0 5 3
15. Jonathan Cheechoo, SAN 16 0 1 0 2 3
16. Tomas Vokoun, NAS 13 1 0 0 0 3
17. Peter Forsberg, PHI 11 0 0 1 2 0
18. Marty Turco, DAL 5 0 0 1 0 0

Only two defencemen in the top 18 Hart votegetters. Even in the new NHL, it looks like the writers still won`t give blueliners consideration for MVP.

Ogopogo*

They wouldn`t disallow the votes. The list above is just the top 20. Usually there`s about 40 or 50 different players that get votes for the Byng and Selke. It would take forever to list them all. It`s also too bad those two writers didn`t take it seriously.

Thanks for posting that. Do you have the All-Star Team voting?

Only two defencemen in the top 18 Hart votegetters. Even in the new NHL, it looks like the writers still won`t give blueliners consideration for MVP.

Unfortunately no, I don't have the all star votes. Sorry.

Randall Graves*

I have lost respect for the Selke voters. No way should Andy McDonald even get a vote for Selke...meanwhile Samuel Pahlsson, one of the best defensive forwards in the league isn't even in the top 20.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
2005-06 NHL ALL STAR VOTING

C
Thornton - 626 (124-2-0)
Staal - 277 (2-80-27)
Crosby - 80 (0-14-38)
Datsyuk - 33 (0-6-15)
Richards - 25 (0-5-10)
Sakic - 23 (0-5-8)
Spezza - 21 (0-4-9)
Modano - 10 (0-2-4)
Forsberg - 9 (1-1-1)
Jokinen O. - 9 (0-1-6)

RW
Jagr - 618 (121-4-1)
Alfredson - 243 (1-67-37)
Cheechoo - 192 (4-40-52)
Gionta - 38 (0-8-14)
Selanne - 33 (1-4-16)
Hossa - 11 (0-2-5)
Iginla - 3 (0-1-0)
St.Louis - 3 (0-1-0)
Heatley - 1 (0-0-1)
Kovalchuk - 1 (0-0-1)

LW
Ovechkin - 497 (80-29-10)
Heatley - 355 (34-55-20)
Kovalchuk - 152 (3-29-50)
Zetterberg - 72 (5-9-20)
Gagne - 34 (4-2-8)
Kariya - 15 (0-3-6)
Shanahan - 6 (0-0-6)
Alfredson - 5 (1-0-0)
Nash - 2 (0-0-2)
Cheechoo - 1 (0-0-1)
Cole - 1 (0-0-1)
Mcdonald Andy - 1 (0-0-1)
Smyth Ryan - 1 (0-0-1)
Tanguay - 1 (0-0-1)

DEF
Lidstrom - 607 (113-14-0)
Niedermayer Scott - 516 (82-33-7)
Zubov - 349 (27-64-22)
Chara - 303 (20-59-26)
Pronger - 105 (1-22-34)
Redden - 102 (3-19-30)
Schneider - 93 (7-7-37)
Phaneuf - 77 (0-16-29)
McCabe - 58 (1-9-26)
Visnovsky - 42 (0-7-21)

G
Kiprusoff - 599 (113-11-1)
Brodeur - 232 (6-59-25)
Lundqvist - 128 (5-27-22)
Turco - 47 (1-7-21)
Vokoun - 44 (2-5-19)
Legace - 43 (0-9-16)
Hasek - 20 (0-5-5)
Luongo - 12 (0-1-9)
Huet - 10 (0-2-4)
Gerber - 4 (0-1-1)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
2005-06 NHL ALL STAR VOTING

RW
Alfredson - 243 (1-67-37)
Cheechoo - 192 (4-40-52)
Heatley - 1 (0-0-1)
Kovalchuk - 1 (0-0-1)

LW
Heatley - 355 (34-55-20)
Kovalchuk - 152 (3-29-50)
Alfredson - 5 (1-0-0)
Cheechoo - 1 (0-0-1)

Are some voters just deliberately stupid/dense or what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad