GDT: Relegation Round • Jan. 2 • Switzerland 4, Denmark 3 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
Can anyone elaborate on how the relegation works? Is it correct it's only one team that get's relegated and that you carry the result of the match between the team from your preliminary group over?

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Can anyone elaborate on how the relegation works? Is it correct it's only one team that get's relegated and that you carry the result of the match between the team from your preliminary group over?

One team and carry the match

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve

You play 2 matches against the countries from the other pool, your result with the country in your pool is taken with you. The country with the lowest amount of points is sent to Division IA, the other three stay in Elite.

The standings look like this as of right now...(I dont have the GD off the top of my head but we can figure that out later.)
1.Swiss 5pts
2.USA 3pts
3.Denmark 1pts
4.Latvia 0pts

Last edited:

justanotherfan

Mar 24, 2007
very well played by the Danes... eventhough the Swiss did not play to their potential they almost pulled off an upset here.

Wonder how the Swiss will regroup vs. team USA though.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
And man oh man were they lucky... No team effort at all! Dean Kukan for example just played for himself and made one risky play after another, just to showcase another dispy-doodle move... Increadible!

If not for Tim Wolf, the Swiss would've lost this game after regulation!!

As I put on the Swiss team thread, the team has just been playing from well to average and from average to worse as the tournament went on, game after game.

By luck we won this one !

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It is easy to fall off the rails in the relegation round when you are not supposed to be there. The Swiss came up small against the Slovaks and landed here. They survived but this could have gone very much awry.

justanotherfan

Mar 24, 2007
The Swiss look like a mentally very fragile team - they played really strong against the Russians, even dominated play at times but did not find the back of the net. Against Sweden they showed some sparks of confidence with their 3rd period come-back - but boy did they play nervous in overtime and the shootout. Against the Slovaks - they looked like the much better team after one period, in the second they went up by 2 goals only to let the Slovaks come back - in the third extended their lead by one goal and stopped playing. Once the Slovaks tied it you knew they could not come back as they were totally shocked... and now this game against the Danes... just weak as long as their relegation was on the line... once they knew they will not get relegated (OT) they played like the favorites they were in that game, finally.

Just mental weakness...

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
very well played by the Danes... eventhough the Swiss did not play to their potential they almost pulled off an upset here.

Wonder how the Swiss will regroup vs. team USA though.
Doesn't matter, with this win the Swiss are already guaranteed not to be relegated, and the Americans are basically a lock to survive relegation too, since they won't lose to Latvia. And even if the Americans lost to Latvia in OT and lost to Switzerland in regulation, I believe there would still be no chance at all for them to be relegated, literally the only way the Americans get relegated is if they lose in regulation to both the Latvians and the Swiss, and there's no way they lose to the Latvians in regulation. By the time the Switzerland/USA game starts, I'd say there's about a 99.9% chance of it not mattering at all to either team.

Assuming the Americans beat Latvia, whoever loses the Denmark/Latvia game will be the team who gets relegated. Denmark/Latvia could go either way though, both teams are pretty bad.

Last edited:

Partagas

Dec 20, 2011
The Swiss look like a mentally very fragile team - they played really strong against the Russians, even dominated play at times but did not find the back of the net. Against Sweden they showed some sparks of confidence with their 3rd period come-back - but boy did they play nervous in overtime and the shootout. Against the Slovaks - they looked like the much better team after one period, in the second they went up by 2 goals only to let the Slovaks come back - in the third extended their lead by one goal and stopped playing. Once the Slovaks tied it you knew they could not come back as they were totally shocked... and now this game against the Danes... just weak as long as their relegation was on the line... once they knew they will not get relegated (OT) they played like the favorites they were in that game, finally.

Just mental weakness...

Totally agree justanotherfan , perfect analysis of the swiss team .
Once they knew they will not get relegated tehy dominated the overtime with 6-0 shots.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I think a better system would be that only the worst team in each group play mini-playoffs of two games, if wins are tied after second game there will be overtime.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think a better system would be that only the worst team in each group play mini-playoffs of two games, if wins are tied after second game there will be overtime.
I kind of agree, with it now being just 1 team getting relegated, there's really no reason for the Swiss and US to be in the relegation round, even before this game both teams were like 99% sure to not get relegated. If they're only relegating 1 team, why not just have 1 game between the bottom team from each group, with the loser getting relegated? That's essentially what will end up happening regardless, if you're carrying a win into the relegation round you just need to pick up around 0-1 points against likely inferior teams to avoid relegation.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Doesn't matter, with this win the Swiss are already guaranteed not to be relegated, and the Americans are basically a lock to survive relegation too, since they won't lose to Latvia. And even if the Americans lost to Latvia in OT and lost to Switzerland in regulation, I believe there would still be no chance at all for them to be relegated, literally the only way the Americans get relegated is if they lose in regulation to both the Latvians and the Swiss, and there's no way they lose to the Latvians in regulation. By the time the Switzerland/USA game starts, I'd say there's about a 99.9% chance of it not mattering at all to either team.

Assuming the Americans beat Latvia, whoever loses the Denmark/Latvia game will be the team who gets relegated. Denmark/Latvia could go either way though, both teams are pretty bad.

Actually, if USA lost to both Latvia and Switzerland, and Denmark win over Latvia, USA will be relegated, but yeah, it's not gonna happen.

@speedster: if Denmark had won and Latvia won over Denmark, it would have made it a threeway tie (assuming USA beat Switzerland) for the relegation spot, which would then have to be determined by goal differential if I'm not mistaken since no team has the advantage in the matches between the teams. But now, the only thing this match changed is that only Denmark and Latvia can relegate now.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Won't happen, but on ine hand it'd be funny if the Americans were relegated, while sad on the other.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Denmark win over Latvia, Latvia win over the US, and Swiss win over the US will see the US go down

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Actually, if USA lost to both Latvia and Switzerland, and Denmark win over Latvia, USA will be relegated, but yeah, it's not gonna happen.
Read my post more carefully, I said the same thing. I said that the Swiss were 100% safe from relegation now, while the Americans could technically be relegated if they lost to both the Latvians and the Swiss in regulation, but realistically there's essentially no chance at all of them losing to the Latvians in regulation. And even then the Danes would have to beat the Latvians, also in regulation. I would say there's a 99.99% chance of the Americans avoiding relegation.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Read my post more carefully, I said the same thing. I said that the Swiss were 100% safe from relegation now, while the Americans could technically be relegated if they lost to both the Latvians and the Swiss in regulation, but realistically there's essentially no chance at all of them losing to the Latvians in regulation. And even then the Danes would have to beat the Latvians, also in regulation. I would say there's a 99.99% chance of the Americans avoiding relegation.

Sorry, I misunderstood, thought you said they were totally safe, my bad.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Won't happen, but on ine hand it'd be funny if the Americans were relegated, while sad on the other.

In a twisted sort of way it would be fun to see it happen, but afterwards it would really suck.

Next Years USA team could be awesome, or average, yet have no chance to show it.

Pummelling teams in the B championship for the sake of the team the year after is not a healthy goal for any USA team. Next year they would have nothing to strive for and they will deserve more than that.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Nice that we got a point, at least.

Everyone always knew it would come down to Denmark's game against Latvia to decide which team went down. Hopefully the boys can get a W, but in terms of depth of talent, I do think Latvia is a bit better than we are. Anyway, the game against the Swiss shows that we can be competitive if the talent gap isn't huge. With the main hockey nations, it is and will likely remain huge, so we get beat up.

Next step for Hockey Denmark is to somehow develop an ace goalie and some more competent defenders. I would say that is the main difference to the Swiss both at junior and senior level. By now they can often hang with the big boys because they have respectable D and goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad