Post-Game Talk: Refs 2-Leafs 1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Bruins are in a class of their own, but it would also be interesting to see what their penalty differentials are in the third period and OT vs us as well. 9 on 5 play is a hell of an advantage.

The team that mostly matches us in those stats are.....the Avalanche.

...and yea, t's tough to read what those mean when score effects and the strange difference in game management when it comes to certain teams is taken into account.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
23158D78-DFD1-4902-A03D-4E10F634D0E1.png

Samsonov didn’t get squared up well on the OT goal.

Holl blocked the right side of the net to help out.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I find the difference between the Leafs powerplay and the Bruins and Lightning powerplay is there's a lot more unstructured flow to the Leafs positioning and more sluggish puck movement whereas with the other two teams everyone has their mark and you know exactly what it is and it's executed quickly, efficiently.

They're passing it around to open up a seam and to blast it, maybe have a rebound and the tempo is dictated by the speed of the puck being moved around whereas Toronto introduces a lot of positionless rotation and maybe a bit more puck carrying on the perimeter so the tempo is dictated by player movement. We also have a really inefficient puck mover in Tavares who is better as the garbage man and Rielly gets in his own head overprocessing on the blueline.
We don't have the same weaponry as those PP's.

Our PP is very passing focused with very limited shooting threats.

Reactions: torontoblood

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Sam Lafferty near Gordie Howe hattrick with a big hit, fight and a goal was the highlight of the night of this game.

Lafferty 5 for fighting and Boston's Greer 2 instigating, 5 fighting and 10 minute misconduct on a clean hit.

Its that kind of scrappiness from Leafs depth vs TB ad Bos depth that will be well served come playoff time.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I find the difference between the Leafs powerplay and the Bruins and Lightning powerplay is there's a lot more unstructured flow to the Leafs positioning and more sluggish puck movement whereas with the other two teams everyone has their mark and you know exactly what it is and it's executed quickly, efficiently.

They're passing it around to open up a seam and to blast it, maybe have a rebound and the tempo is dictated by the speed of the puck being moved around whereas Toronto introduces a lot of positionless rotation and maybe a bit more puck carrying on the perimeter so the tempo is dictated by player movement. We also have a really inefficient puck mover in Tavares who is better as the garbage man and Rielly gets in his own head overprocessing on the blueline.
I agree with the purposeless and inefficient movement of the puck around the perimeter. All the PK has to do is pressure from the middle of the ice, use good sticks, and we're neutralized. Rielly is a massive problem on the PP. You can predict every movement he does, as does the PK. If TB can free up Stamkos at least once every PP, as does Washington with Ovechkin, we should be able to figure out a way to free up Matthews for his lethal shot. I understand that we have the third best PP in the league, but we've seen this before where good PK's counterbalance what we do in the playoffs.

We don't have the same weaponry as those PP's.

Our PP is very passing focused with very limited shooting threats.
I agree to a certain extent but Matthews and Nylander both have great shots. Even Marner has improved his shot immensely. It's getting these guys freed up for shots that's the problem.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Refs aside the Laafs had a lead late and ended up losing in OT.. poor script.

Rielly played Coyle too tentatively and made it hard for Sammy to read the shot to boot.

Nice to see some physical hard play though to tune up for the playoffs.
I honestly think there is another level, we shall see in Game 1, like the leafs shut them down pretty good as well, I just see good things happening call me an optimist, but this team has it!
Agreed

I have bled blue for 60 years now and always will, but I also am a pragmatist, and, in trying to lessen the pain I see coming, I have been getting ready to cheer the other two (?) Canadian teams that will be in the playoffs.

However after watching last nights game, I have renewed hope-I saw something I haven’t seen in a long time-GRIT, paying the price, battling in the trenches.

I think Dubas has delivered the goods! We can muck it up now, we cannot be intimidated, an end to fly by stick checks.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You bitch about this stuff all the time. You know you can just.. not read it, right?
Other than by just not reading the thread at all, which does have interesting and thoughtful comments, it's not that easy.

Maybe if the posters whining about the officials tagged them with "stupid comment alert"?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Other than by just not reading the thread at all, which does have interesting and thoughtful comments, it's not that easy.

Maybe if the posters whining about the officials tagged them with "stupid comment alert"?
On the bolded - you essentially want to label everything that doesn't agree with your opinion as a "stupid comment".

There's been a lot of interesting discussion and debate about officiating this year (with a lot of egregious examples of whacky officiating), is it really that hard to just move on when it's a discussion you're not interested in?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
It’s crazy to think with Nylander on the left side and Matthews on the right side on the PP, we aren’t getting at least one one-timer from EACH of them PER PP. We pass the puck around so much looking for that perfect play when we just need to set Nylander or Matthews up for that one timer.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It’s crazy to think with Nylander on the left side and Matthews on the right side on the PP, we aren’t getting at least one one-timer from EACH of them PER PP. We pass the puck around so much looking for that perfect play when we just need to set Nylander or Matthews up for that one timer.
Bruins don't have any problem with Pasta and they don't have two shooters.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
On the bolded - you essentially want to label everything that doesn't agree with your opinion as a "stupid comment".

There's been a lot of interesting discussion and debate about officiating this year (with a lot of egregious examples of whacky officiating), is it really that hard to just move on when it's a discussion you're not interested in?
There are lots of posts I don't agree with and have no problem with. It's just the few whiners who can't seem to admit that we were outplayed or even just outlucked, but have to blame the refs.

If the thread is just about officiating, that's one thing, but usually it's mixed in with good posts.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There are lots of posts I don't agree with and have no problem with. It's just the few whiners who can't seem to admit that we were outplayed or even just outlucked, but have to blame the refs.

If the thread is just about officiating, that's one thing, but usually it's mixed in with good posts.
You can't have 2 of these things be true at the same time?

You can be outplayed the whole game and still get f***ed over by the reffing.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Don't really understand your point.

Just because the Leafs have gotten PPs in close-out games and been poor at them does not mean that they've been given a fair whistle.
yea, the whistle has actually been tilted in the leafs favour in close out games, the games you mentioned we struggled to close out.

You aren’t going to get 5 power plays in a game 7, that just isn’t gonna happen, so there is no reason to complain about that.

As for the pick in game 7, we scored like shortly after. So I don’t see what the big deal is there, you can’t just say that we’d score right after too, it would be a whole different game where we could’ve lost the same way as well.

We get more power plays in critical moments and we can’t finish, doesn’t that indicate this team struggles to rise to the occasion?

We always complain about reffing, yet they got the right call on Holl for the pick, which itself turned into a minor play shortly after. they give us more pps when we need them, and they don’t call many on us. I don’t see how reffing costs us game 5/7. Maybe if the core guys actually played like stars we would win more games

Reactions: geo25

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
His play has dropped like a stone after being put with Tavares. Been juggled to much. Will play like crap all playoff. Keefe sucks at manage him. Got one answer, benching or thirdline. Or Tavares.
We should probably go back to
Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Marner

That gives us in the bottom six
Kerfoot - O’reilly - Acciari
ZAR - Kampf - lafferty

That was imo, the most effective top 6 we’ve seen this year. Also gives us a strong bottom six with a spot for knies to slot in to acciari’s spot and push ZAR/Lafferty out for acciari

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
yea, the whistle has actually been tilted in the leafs favour in close out games, the games you mentioned we struggled to close out.

You aren’t going to get 5 power plays in a game 7, that just isn’t gonna happen, so there is no reason to complain about that.

As for the pick in game 7, we scored like shortly after. So I don’t see what the big deal is there, you can’t just say that we’d score right after too, it would be a whole different game where we could’ve lost the same way as well.

We get more power plays in critical moments and we can’t finish, doesn’t that indicate this team struggles to rise to the occasion?

We always complain about reffing, yet they got the right call on Holl for the pick, which itself turned into a minor play shortly after. they give us more pps when we need them, and they don’t call many on us. I don’t see how reffing costs us game 5/7. Maybe if the core guys actually played like stars we would win more games
Sadly they missed the obvious TB penalty for the GWG in Game 7 and blew the 5on3 calls in Game 6.

Officiating vs. Mtl and CLB was fine. Pretty iffy last year though. And Boston is, well its Boston everyone knows how theyre handled

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Sadly they missed the obvious TB penalty for the GWG in Game 7 and blew the 5on3 calls in Game 6.
That no call does suck, muzzin I think was dragged down for no reason

But Brodie defends that about as well as I, someone who hasn’t skated, did. He did nothing to stop Paul. I seriously don’t think he could’ve played that worse. 99/100 he plays that normally, with either an effective poke check or he takes the body, that time he does nothing

As for game 6, yea it sucks to have that happen and not be able to kill the penalties, but there was an entire third period and OT left. Kerfoot blew chances in OT to seal it and we couldn’t get one more to finish it

Imo this highlights what I said, we can’t rise to the occasion. Tampa got breaks and they capitalized, we get out breaks and we just cannot capatalize

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We should probably go back to
Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Marner

That gives us in the bottom six
Kerfoot - O’reilly - Acciari
ZAR - Kampf - lafferty

That was imo, the most effective top 6 we’ve seen this year. Also gives us a strong bottom six with a spot for knies to slot in to acciari’s spot and push ZAR/Lafferty out for acciari
This looks pretty good. I would have liked to see them try JT driving the 3rd line though, isn't that what he did for years with NYI, drive a line without anything special on his wings?

Anyhow, good game last night. Would have loved to shut them out in their house but not that important. We played a good playoff style game against the best team in the league in their house, with NYI doing us a solid that point was enough to clinch home ice against TB which is very important. Kind of cool to get that clinching point against the Bruins and now we can rest people and just focus on getting ready to play 10 days from now or WE.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
@Golden_Jet laughing at my posts, lol what made me really laugh was watching the Senaturds miss the playoffs again! what is that 6 straight years! lmao! your team is such a joke, at least the leafs are going to the post season, keep rebuilding your team is a joke, at least we got to talk about the playoffs on this board, what are you going to talk about, how much your teams short game has improved lmao!

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That no call does suck, muzzin I think was dragged down for no reason

But Brodie defends that about as well as I, someone who hasn’t skated, did. He did nothing to stop Paul. I seriously don’t think he could’ve played that worse. 99/100 he plays that normally, with either an effective poke check or he takes the body, that time he does nothing

As for game 6, yea it sucks to have that happen and not be able to kill the penalties, but there was an entire third period and OT left. Kerfoot blew chances in OT to seal it and we couldn’t get one more to finish it

Imo this highlights what I said, we can’t rise to the occasion. Tampa got breaks and they capitalized, we get out breaks and we just cannot capatalize
We had opportunities vs TB, not sure id call them officiating breaks and not to the extent we saw in that TB stretch. There was just some bizarre calls there.

A missed call happens, 2 to cause a 5on3 is odd. The NHL follows a pretty typical pattern of a makeup call after blown calls - especially after a goal - even more after a 5on3, but the whistles went away and blatant calls were ignored. We didnt even need a make up call, we needed the correct call.

Fast forward to Game 7 when obstruction was rampant and ignored all game. 1 goal called back off a pick thats relatively routine, whatever, it happens but apparently only once that game. The GWG off a blatant interference the refs were aware of in the same period was.

Im not a believer in scores carrying over, so maybe we blow game 6 regardless or lose game 7 with the Tavares goal standing and Paul's second coming back, but theres no denying some heavily questionable calls impacted the scores as we saw it and the opportunities on them were not equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad