Post-Game Talk: Refs 2-Leafs 1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It’s a loss. 3 on 3 isn't going anywhere, gimmick or not. We LOST we take the point and we move on. Maybe for once we can learn to play better 3 ON 3 hockey in REAL Overtime.
yup It’s pretty simple, you either win or you lose

Personally the way the Bruins celebrated in ice was a bigger tell for me. They acted like they expected to lose that game, so in their minds, we out played them
It looked like to me that they just love winning especially against us

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

It doesn't really hold up the narrative that the game didn't mean anything to them though. They were pretty jacked up about the win...which I mean good for them.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Boston PGT is pretty hilarious, their fans think we are favored by the league LOL, like they were all wearing blinders in both our recent playoff series :laugh:

"The top 5 team that's been bottom 5 in PP opportunities called over the last 5 years is being favored by the league !"

Somebody show them the game tape from game 2 in 2019, or either of game 6/7 last year. I can't remember ever having a huge phantom penalty called in our favor in a pivotal game in the playoffs, or ever remember the referees missing a huge infraction that led to a pivotal goal or multiple goals in the playoffs. Or another teams player getting suspended for going knee on knee on us and then headshotting the goaltender with no call.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The Boston PGT is pretty hilarious, their fans think we are favored by the league LOL, like they were all wearing blinders in both our recent playoff series :laugh:

"The top 5 team that's been bottom 5 in PP opportunities called over the last 5 years is being favored by the league !"

Somebody show them the game tape from game 2 in 2019, or either of game 6/7 last year. I can't remember ever having a huge phantom penalty called in our favor in a pivotal game in the playoffs, or ever remember the referees missing a huge infraction that led to a pivotal goal or multiple goals in the playoffs. Or another teams player getting suspended for going knee on knee on us and then headshotting the goaltender with no call.
I think it is a combination of the water in Boston melting their brains and everyone in that fanbase spending their time watching hockey listening to Jack Edwards. They all live on a different planet.

Feb 24, 2004
that’s fine and all, but sometimes you get bad calls. I understand that sometimes may seem more than “sometimes” for us, but nonetheless sometimes you get bad calls. The team needs to overcome them and win, it’s just like this team to kill off that powerplay and then let a goal in. The team still struggled to put the game away when they had the chance, we had 3 power plays and we scored 0 times. So whether or not the refs were “fair” or not, our big boys just couldn’t get it done, yet again.

how many power plays have the refs given us in those games?

In the 3rd period of tampa we got 1 powerplay they got 0. Actually penalties called by the refs were 3-1 our favour for the game

In Montreal penalties were 2-1 leafs favour, we got the only power play in the 3rd when we were down

in Columbus it was 1-1

In bostons 2019 2-0 penalties in our favour

In Boston 2018 penalties were 3-2 leafs

Want to know what the leafs pp and pk % are during those games

Tampa 0/4
Montreal 0/2
Columbus 0/1
Boston 0/2
Boston 1/3
Aggregate: 1/12

Don't really understand your point.

Just because the Leafs have gotten PPs in close-out games and been poor at them does not mean that they've been given a fair whistle.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I've watched a bunch of bruins games this season and that was a bit extra

They are fed that from their commentators. Homers to the extreme. They basically said, well you expect the Leafs to get those calls because, well it's the Leafs, ON every penalty call

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The showed an amazing stat during yesterday's game and that was goal differential by period.

In the 3rd period the Bruins are a +50 and our Leafs a -2

The killer instinct of the Bruins to close out games is the reason for their potential record setting best finish all time.

Leafs going into the 3rd even with the lead surrender more goals then then score. While in the 2nd period they have a +38 goal differential.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So who is starting a go-fund-me for an independent review of officiating in the NHL?

What's Kerry up to these days?

Anyway, I'm sure the Bruins were happy about the win. Leafs would have been.
All-in-all, not a lot of difference between them head-to-head.

1680880737982.png

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Didn't realize this but after Boston tied the game from Schenn's error, Schenn was benched the rest of the game. Keefe has limited his shifts in close games before, but this time he completely benched him, and Schenn wasn't even playing much in the 3rd before the goal either. I said it before and I'll say it again, but if you can't trust him in a close game, he shouldn't part of the regular 6. He's a fine 7. In fact when we were doing 11 and 7, Liljegren was getting more shifts than Schenn in close games in the third. You need to play Liljegren at least in these last 4 games. He's showing signs of coming out of his slump.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Didn't realize this but after Boston tied the game from Schenn's error, Schenn was benched the rest of the game. Keefe has limited his shifts in close games before, but this time he completely benched him, and Schenn wasn't even playing much in the 3rd before the goal either. I said it before and I'll say it again, but if you can't trust him in a close game, he shouldn't part of the regular 6. He's a fine 7. In fact when we were doing 11 and 7, Liljegren was getting more shifts than Schenn in close games in the third. You need to play Liljegren at least in these last 4 games. He's showing signs of coming out of his slump.
What would that do to the pairings?

McCabe - Brodie
Rielly - Lilj
Gio - Holl

Feels like you need to keep Holl and Rielly apart snd Brodie - McCabe together

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I would love to be able to read a post-game thread after a loss that didn't have what seems like half the posts blaming the refs for the loss.

Guys, it's ok to say that we didn't play well, and even to admit that the other team played better.

As for the penalty in OT, while it's true that a stick up in the hands doesn't always get called, any infraction is much more likely to be called when it results in a scoring chance, or prevents one. Reilly made a good play, and probably saved a goal, but there was nothing wrong with the penalty call.
You bitch about this stuff all the time. You know you can just.. not read it, right?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Officiating was fine.
By NHL standards, it was good.

The Schenn penalty was a joke, and the McCabe penalty should have been evened up with the dive - it was definitely a trip as well.

The OT penalty, while soft, has to be made. It prevented a goal, and a borderline play that prevents a goal has to get called.

The replay/not replay was pathetic, but ultimately, a non factor. I said it the game thread that Kampf should have been penalized. Zacha should have as well, but both or neither makes no difference.

Matthews showed that he is the best player on the team again. Alone with 2 glorified 3rd line players and he outchanced the Nylander - Tavares - Marner line on his own, while being just fine defensively.

Nylander needs to wake up. The season is almost over, so he has to turn the engine back on otherwise he'll be left in the dust.

Holl played well most of the game and then gives Pasta the best screen possible on the goal. Doesn't attack the puck at all, just blocks the sight lines...

Reilly needs to lose like 15 lbs and start skating again. He looks lethargic out there. I don't get it. As your damn fiancée for skating tips if need be and go easy on the poutines ffs.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Not even mad at that game. Don’t give a shit about the OT loss. No 3 on 3 in the playoffs.

We were the better team 5 on 5, Swayman had to make better saves than Samsonov.

Our lines weren’t set right either. Still very clearly not icing our best possible line up. Second line was basically a “let’s see” line. We probably score another goal if Willy is with Matthews.

We look ready. Boston is good. Not as good as their record indicates. They’ve had literally everything go their way all season. All the bounces. Zero adversity. Their goalies are scoring. McAvoy injured? No he’s fine. That president trophy curse will hit them hard in the postseason

Last night they had no David Krejci or Taylor Hall, playing their backup goalie and we lost.

With Marchand and McAvoy missing the start of the season they were suppose to barely get in with old Bergeron and Krejci. Give them some credit, they beat us with B squad yesterday. You don't hear about adversity they face because they keep on winning.. without Marchand,McAvoy,Bergeron or Krejci. Next man up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The showed an amazing stat during yesterday's game and that was goal differential by period.

In the 3rd period the Bruins are a +50 and our Leafs a -2

The killer instinct of the Bruins to close out games is the reason for their potential record setting best finish all time.

Leafs going into the 3rd even with the lead surrender more goals then then score. While in the 2nd period they have a +38 goal differential.

Bruins are in a class of their own, but it would also be interesting to see what their penalty differentials are in the third period and OT vs us as well. 9 on 5 play is a hell of an advantage.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Just wondering, when was the last time Matthews scored a goal like Pasternak’s last night? Teams seem to be covering him so well, even on the power play. Our PP sucks right now and we know how they do in the playoffs. We have to figure out how to free up Matthews.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Last night they had no David Krejci or Taylor Hall, playing their backup goalie and we lost.

With Marchand and McAvoy missing the start of the season they were suppose to barely get in with old Bergeron and Krejci. Give them some credit, they beat us with B squad yesterday. You don't hear about adversity they face because they keep on winning.. without Marchand,McAvoy,Bergeron or Krejci. Next man up.

Marchand doesn't look very good these days. Last goal was scored March 9 and hasn't registered a point since March 28. Not our problem, but stay that way.

Reactions: Arzak

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Bottom line is that Toronto still can't score in meaningful games. Any level of tight play utterly shuts down the stars, then they get "goalie'd" aka can't generate real scoring chances and fluff up no name backups' save percentages with low percentage scoring chances.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just wondering, when was the last time Matthews scored a goal like Pasternak’s last night? Teams seem to be covering him so well, even on the power play. Our PP sucks right now and we know how they do in the playoffs. We have to figure out how to free up Matthews.

I find the difference between the Leafs powerplay and the Bruins and Lightning powerplay is there's a lot more unstructured flow to the Leafs positioning and more sluggish puck movement whereas with the other two teams everyone has their mark and you know exactly what it is and it's executed quickly, efficiently.

They're passing it around to open up a seam and to blast it, maybe have a rebound and the tempo is dictated by the speed of the puck being moved around whereas Toronto introduces a lot of positionless rotation and maybe a bit more puck carrying on the perimeter so the tempo is dictated by player movement. We also have a really inefficient puck mover in Tavares who is better as the garbage man and Rielly gets in his own head overprocessing on the blueline.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

Probably my favourite deal of the TDL, McCabe is an absolute stud

McCabe - Brodie has been a top 10 pair in the NHL since the deadline
What would that do to the pairings?

McCabe - Brodie
Rielly - Lilj
Gio - Holl

Feels like you need to keep Holl and Rielly apart snd Brodie - McCabe together
Yeah I'd like those to be the pairings. You'd have McCabe - Brodie get the tough matchups against Kucherov, Gio-Holl get the secondary matchups and Rielly - Lilly can dominate softer competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad