Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Do not underestimate Rick Tocchet's ability to coach a defensive game. I don't think this series is going to be very high scoring.
I just don’t see how the score doesn’t get run up with McDrai and Bouchard. If the nucks aim for a low scoring series, they are in trouble imo.
Nuge would destroy him 😂😂😂

And mack has 1 cup, come back to me when macks trophy case comes close to mcdavids first shelf of his case 🍻
In that illustrious case there’s a lonely, dusty spot for the best trophy of all, but not for Mack!
God I hope the Oilers dust these guys just to see the trainwreck
On HF at least, the bigger train wreck would be oil losing imo. The oil fan meltdown along with all other fanbases piling on would be hard to match lol.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Wonder how quickly Vancouver fans turn on Silovs when he gets shredded by the Oilers. Too much optimism for a team still missing Demko.

Reactions: Kerberos

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Wonder how quickly Vancouver fans turn on Silovs when he gets shredded by the Oilers. Too much optimism for a team still missing Demko.
It will be interesting to see how silovs does. I hope he plays well, that’s a crazy offence he’s gonna see and I’d have a hard time predicting nucks with demko let alone a rookie. Hope he does great though.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You mean like how quickly Oiler fans turned on Skinner after last playoffs meltdown.
And how they wanted the whole team traded after the horrific start to the season.
😆
If Silovs struggles I think the fanbase will be fine. When you lose a Vezina finalist goalie it’s a tough hole to fill especially for a rookie.
So far so good though. Kid looks good.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
And the Oilers have still out produced the Canucks at EV in the playoffs.

It's not a big deal. Someone incorrectly stated that the Canucks have superior EV scoring, and now opinions can be better informed.

Yes. Thank you for the support.

So look at overall scoring. Then look at how the points were garnered.

The oilers shelled the Kings with 22 goals scored during their 1st round match up. Of those 22 goals 13 were scored even strength or a total of 59.09% of all the Oilers goals scored during their 1st round match against the Kings were scored at even strength.

The Canucks only managed a total of 13 goals against the Predators in their 1st round match up. Of those 13 goals 11 were scored at even strength, or a total of 84.61% of their goals scored during that 1st round match were done at even strength.

So, please tell me again which team has scored more of their goals on the PP vs even strength between the Oilers and Canucks

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Yeah I don't put a ton of stock in season series results. I've seen it happen in the playoffs too many times where the playoffs were a completely different story.

One example I recall right off the top of my head is 07-08 when the Habs went 8-0-0 against the bruins in the regular season. They met in the playoffs, and the series went 7 games.

Also, If I recall correctly, a couple games against Edmonton were under the old regime, when even the Sharks were beating them. Even if I were to put alot of credence in the season series, I'd have to consider those two games as non representative of their current team.
I agree with you completely. The regular season means nothing once the playoffs start.

People keep pointing out how the Canucks beat the Oilers in the regular season, but the Jets also beat the Avs during their regular season series and we know how that turned out.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
So look at overall scoring. Then look at how the points were garnered.

The oilers shelled the Kings with 22 goals scored during their 1st round match up. Of those 22 goals 13 were scored even strength or a total of 59.09% of all the Oilers goals scored during their 1st round match against the Kings were scored at even strength.

The Canucks only managed a total of 13 goals against the Predators in their 1st round match up. Of those 13 goals 11 were scored at even strength, or a total of 84.61% of their goals scored during that 1st round match were done at even strength.

So, please tell me again which team has scored more of their goals on the PP vs even strength between the Oilers and Canucks
Ummmmmm pardon?? Because the Canucks were average on the PP they were better than the Oilers at even strength? That just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. I’ll take the Oilers scoring 13 goals in 5 rather than the Canucks 13 in 6.

Reactions: Kerberos

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Ummmmmm pardon?? Because the Canucks were average on the PP they were better than the Oilers at even strength? That just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. I’ll take the Oilers scoring 13 goals in 5 rather than the Canucks 13 in 6.
The Canucks were average yes. But the Oilers were ungodly and had a significant amount of chances on the PP with a 45% conversion which is honestly amazing (thanks for that for my pool!)

But the Oilers in 5 games had 20 PP chances and converted on 45% of them and THAT is insane! The Canucks though with 13 PP chances only converted 15.4% of them. They also due to the tight checking and low scoring 1st round are the lowest scoring team to move on.

So yes the Oilers shelled the Kings and actually almost beat their single round power play percentage (set last year) but when the numbers shake out the Canucks won their games on the backs of their even strength play while the Oilers destroyed the Kings with their power play conversion.

So go ahead mate, take the Oilers who scored against the best possible match up with that crazy good PP. But you can't argue for a second without looking like a homer or fan boy that the Canucks won their games with a better EV percentage than the Oilers did.

There's every possible sign pointing to the Oilers winning this series, but the Canucks EV production for the total of goals scored in their first round is better than the Oilers in theirs and that is not arguable.

I just don’t see how the score doesn’t get run up with McDrai and Bouchard. If the nucks aim for a low scoring series, they are in trouble imo.

In that illustrious case there’s a lonely, dusty spot for the best trophy of all, but not for Mack!

On HF at least, the bigger train wreck would be oil losing imo. The oil fan meltdown along with all other fanbases piling on would be hard to match lol.
I'd be eating popcorn and drinking a nice bourbon watching it if it happens.

I still bet on The Oilers to win in 6 games though

Reactions: Avsfan1921

OiledGun

Sep 2, 2011
The Canucks were average yes. But the Oilers were ungodly and had a significant amount of chances on the PP with a 45% conversion which is honestly amazing (thanks for that for my pool!)

But the Oilers in 5 games had 20 PP chances and converted on 45% of them and THAT is insane! The Canucks though with 13 PP chances only converted 15.4% of them. They also due to the tight checking and low scoring 1st round are the lowest scoring team to move on.

So yes the Oilers shelled the Kings and actually almost beat their single round power play percentage (set last year) but when the numbers shake out the Canucks won their games on the backs of their even strength play while the Oilers destroyed the Kings with their power play conversion.

So go ahead mate, take the Oilers who scored against the best possible match up with that crazy good PP. But you can't argue for a second without looking like a homer or fan boy that the Canucks won their games with a better EV percentage than the Oilers did.

There's every possible sign pointing to the Oilers winning this series, but the Canucks EV production for the total of goals scored in their first round is better than the Oilers in theirs and that is not arguable.

I'd be eating popcorn and drinking a nice bourbon watching it if it happens.

I still bet on The Oilers to win in 6 games though
So the oilers are better on the power play and even strength. Got it

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The outcome of the Jets/Avs series, has absolutely nothing to do with Canucks vs Oilers. Oilers are not the Avs, they don't have a cup-winning pedigree. The Canucks are not the Jets, their defense and goaltending didn't completely shit the bed once the playoffs started.

Should we dig through the past to bring up teams that swept season series and then beat the same team in the playoffs, then pretend it's some kind of proof that the Canucks will win? Didn't think so.

OiledGun

Sep 2, 2011
Umm...no.

That's what you heard though and that's fine. I too used to be a blind homer before I realized just enjoying the game was more enjoyable. Except Vegas...screw Vegas
Trying to use the oilers scoring more even strength goals in less games as an indictment of the Oilers even strength play is an…. Interesting argument.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
Hughes is small.
Vancouver is a market 3x the size of Edmonton, and has been proven.
Edmonton has a higher valuation due to a new arena and McDavid.
Both owners are shit and previous owners are also shit.
Kane and Perry are going to turn back the clock and do something they’ve never done before by physically beating on Hughes.
Edmonton is the favourite to win the series.

Can we go back to talk about the series now?

Lacking Demko probably sways this from a 50/50 series, sadly
Edmonton has 1.4 million, That makes the population of Vancouver 4.2 million ? something doesn't add up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad