Pre-Game Talk: Red Wings vs Jets - Fri Mar 2 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
How many players here have a thread in which multiple users will come to post about how ****ty his game was on the given day? Like i said, it's directly related to his popularity, but a 19 year old having an off game doesn't need to be picked apart every single time.

It's a discussion forum. There will be critique of players in many threads. I agree that much of the critique of Laine is off the mark in many ways, but there are legitimate discussion points regarding his game as well. He's a young player that's learning how to dominate - discussing the salient points of his good/bad goes with the territory.

Guys like Wheeler are pretty much a finished product - you know their strengths and weaknesses, and they're unlikely to change.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It's a discussion forum. There will be critique of players in many threads. I agree that much of the critique of Laine is off the mark in many ways, but there are legitimate discussion points regarding his game as well. He's a young player that's learning how to dominate - discussing the salient points of his good/bad goes with the territory.

Guys like Wheeler are pretty much a finished product - you know their strengths and weaknesses, and they're unlikely to change.
I think this is a good point and very true. Then again Ehlers, Roslovic and Connor aren't finished products. Not much talk about those three, no matter how they play. And yeah, I'm not saying that there's never any good discussion or any good points made about him, of course there are. It just goes overboard every now and then. And then things reset. And after a while here we go again.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hopefully we're not saying that about Littles in a couple years.

Your right Dog 99 -- and we have to hope we don't get stuck with a lame contract on Little. I think we'll be OK for 2-3 years, and after that it's very Iffy ?? Hope it works.

Chevy let Ladd walk and it will save the Jet's about $ 35 mil-- "very smart" --and I knew it all along, soon as he started having hernia problems, I knew the end was close--so glad he let him walk !!! Apparently by another poster he hasn't scored since December ??- Wow --not good.

We have to be very very careful on what we do with Wheeler when he comes up, as he'll be 32 yrs old, and likely want $ 6-7 mil per season --"yikes"--very scary. He might have 4-5 years left--and he might just have 2 good years left? If Chevy was to resign him--I'd like it to be for 3 years-- and "no more" Some older guys work out--like Marleau, Joe Thornton, Shane Doan and others-- "do you want to gamble the club's future tho ???

I'd be very tempted to trade Wheeler and likely would when he's up for renewal, as young guys can fit in today at 21 yrs old - like Barzal-Hischier, Laine, Ehlers, Boesner and Connor etc--and it's a much safer bet.

PS- As I say--ship all the "everbucked contracts" to New York--they have lot's of money to waste !!!:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How many players here have a thread in which multiple users will come to post about how ****ty his game was on the given day? Like i said, it's directly related to his popularity, but a 19 year old having an off game doesn't need to be picked apart every single time.

It's a complete over reaction. just like you are doing now. Buff gets ten times the grief that Laine gets and ten times less defensive.

Reactions: Jets 31

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think this is a good point and very true. Then again Ehlers, Roslovic and Connor aren't finished products. Not much talk about those three, no matter how they play. And yeah, I'm not saying that there's never any good discussion or any good points made about him, of course there are. It just goes overboard every now and then. And then things reset. And after a while here we go again.

I think it's actually the people coming to defend their first born son that actually goes over the top. And in many cases it's by trying to blame others for Laine's faults

Reactions: Huffer

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
You are mistaken. Wheeler is a perpetual 26 goal scorer. Never scored 30.

Certain Finns on this forum. Wheeler can't pass, terrible defensively, constantly out of position. A complete anchor to the team obviously.

Most of NHL including his own coach: Hart trophy candidate

Who to believe? :huh:

I give it 6 games and Stastny will be the new whipping boy over there.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It's a complete over reaction. just like you are doing now. Buff gets ten times the grief that Laine gets and ten times less defensive.
I think you're just overestimating my reaction. I don't think he's being eaten alive. The stuff that gets said is just a bit silly. Buff has gotten almost nothing but love this season, and for a good reason. He's been fantastic. Last year he got too much shit (i was part of that) just because Maurice was terrible and didn't want to stop overplaying him. Little has also gotten too much crap for something that's not on him.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Buff has gotten almost nothing but love this season

You can't be serious. Are you not reading this forum?

Buff gets so much unwarranted grief on this forum it's crazy. The difference is there isn't a wave of posters from Roseau coming in to argue and defend him. I will occasionally but mostly I just let it slide.

Buff has actual haters on this forum. People who want him off the team. I don't think anyone here wants Laine gone.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So Toby is the last east victim of the dreaded Maurice "day to day" proclamation?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not many teams have a +30 goal scoring whipping boy. We are unique. We are the Jets. God bless.

Dunno why but games against scrub teams always scare me. And at this time of the year when they have nothing to lose... ugh.
Yeah, that's not what I meant, but don't let me get in your way.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You can't be serious. Are you not reading this forum?

Buff gets so much unwarranted grief on this forum it's crazy. The difference is there isn't a wave of posters from Roseau coming in to argue and defend him. I will occasionally but mostly I just let it slide.

Buff has actual haters on this forum. People who want him off the team. I don't think anyone here wants Laine gone.
Haven't seen it. Maybe I've just ignored such stupid crap while browsing. Or then i browse the wrong threads...that's a real possibility.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Haven't seen it. Maybe I've just ignored such stupid crap while browsing. Or then i browse the wrong threads...that's a real possibility.

It's been going on for longer than #29 is part of the team. It's also happened this year many many times. Can't believe you haven't noticed.

Buff actually is what you claim Laine to be....a whipping boy and a polarizing player.

Reactions: Jets 31

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It's been going on for longer than #29 is part of the team. It's also happened this year many many times. Can't believe you haven't noticed.

Buff actually is what you claim Laine to be....a whipping boy and a polarizing player.
Oh, you're talking about going so far back. I haven't been following the Jets until Patty joined, so i obviously wouldn't know. I'll take your word for it. And i did notice it last year.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Personally I think his game tends to get picked apart because of the reaction of some to any criticism of his game. What starts out as an observation on certain parts of his play are met with "but he's 19", "Wheeler sucked as well", "but he has (insert number) goals", "if he only played with Scheifele" etc etc.

I honestly don't think many people look to tear him down, they just comment on certain things they see, like they do with pretty much every player. I haven't seen a single player get a pass in this forum, it's ok to point out areas of improvement, it doesn't mean someone doesn't understand the bigger picture.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Little took a beating until about Christmas, daily cat 'o' nine tails.

Reactions: Festinator

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Personally I think his game tends to get picked apart because of the reaction of some to any criticism of his game. What starts out as an observation on certain parts of his play are met with "but he's 19", "Wheeler sucked as well", "but he has (insert number) goals", "if he only played with Scheifele" etc etc.

I honestly don't think many people look to tear him down, they just comment on certain things they see, like they do with pretty much every player. I haven't seen a single player get a pass in this forum, it's ok to point out areas of improvement, it doesn't mean someone doesn't understand the bigger picture.

Exactly this. There may be more discussion and posts on Laine because of all the but hurt and whiney comments that get made when anyone says one negative thing about Patrik. And the attempt to drag other players down is something I just don't understand at all.

Reactions: BenBensa and Huffer

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
You are mistaken. Wheeler is a perpetual 26 goal scorer. Never scored 30.

Certain Finns on this forum. Wheeler can't pass, terrible defensively, constantly out of position. A complete anchor to the team obviously.

Most of NHL including his own coach: Hart trophy candidate

Who to believe? :huh:

:confused: WTF!?

Wheeler is the guy who should be that last guy to pointed out in anykind combinatorics related to Laine's scoring.

As far as I can see he has been pretty much automatic feeding machine to Laine, in PPs especially. Is there blind finnish Laine fanboi around?

...Anchor? Can't pass? :huh:

Reactions: King Woodballs

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Oh, you're talking about going so far back. I haven't been following the Jets until Patty joined, so i obviously wouldn't know. I'll take your word for it. And i did notice it last year.

I didn't mean it has gone away, just that it's been happening since about year 2. It's not any better this year. If Buff makes one mistake or bad decision the wolves come out. But perhaps you don't notice because people don't make pages and pages of post defending him.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
:confused: WTF!?

Wheeler is the guy who should be that last guy to pointed out in anykind combinatorics related to Laine's scoring.

As far as I can see he has been pretty much automatic feeding machine to Laine, in PPs especially. Is there blind finnish Laine fanboi around?

...Anchor? Can't pass? :huh:

Just yesterday in the PGT

Reactions: Se829ne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad