Red Wings at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I've thought of it, I fully expect him to get dealt to Boston though. I haven't watched Buffalo much, I don't know if he just needs a change of scenery or what happened to him.

I think we could definitely use some size to compliment the skill. Especially if some room opens up trading a roster forward for a defensive upgrade. Did some window shopping, and wasn't all that impressed with what could be available. Hanzal as a throw in with OEL would be nice! :p

I personally wouldn't go after Stewart. He slumped pretty hard coming into Buffalo, but is slowly refinding his game. I think a change of scenery will work for him, and he has 20+ goal potential still, but the price is through the roof. Murray is asking a first and a prospect for him, which would be the starting point for a defender like Green. Would much rather see us go after a defender than Stewart.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Like Kindl and Lashoff?

The best 5-6 option would probably be Marchenko and Ouellet at this point -- and I can guarantee you Holland doesn't want a rookie third pairing in the playoffs.

Why not?

He has no choice if someone goes down and if he wants to win just imagine this

One of our top six dman goes down (not rookie)

Smith = Kronner
DDK = Quincey
Ouellet = Marchy

Are you really going to put in Kindl? Hes garbage. Thats why Babs switched him out for Ouellet. Lashoff? Hes not going to do anything. Id rather have Marchy or Ouellet in there

Who else is there that isnt a rookie? I dont have Ericsson in there cause hes "injured"

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
from the Washington Post

"MacLellan hasn’t shied away from expressing his opinion on Green, all but proclaiming that only a win-now haul would entice the Capitals into parting with the blue-liner they raised as a 2004 first-rounder. Draft picks and prospects would send the wrong message to the locker room, MacLellan said. Upgrading the defensive corps, rejuvenated under assistant Todd Reirden and bolstered with the offseason signings of Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik, seems beyond the radar. But if an offer comes in that addresses an area of need in the forwards, MacLellan hasn’t ruled out considering that."

The Caps are looking for a 1st line winger

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
from the Washington Post

"MacLellan hasn’t shied away from expressing his opinion on Green, all but proclaiming that only a win-now haul would entice the Capitals into parting with the blue-liner they raised as a 2004 first-rounder. Draft picks and prospects would send the wrong message to the locker room, MacLellan said. Upgrading the defensive corps, rejuvenated under assistant Todd Reirden and bolstered with the offseason signings of Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik, seems beyond the radar. But if an offer comes in that addresses an area of need in the forwards, MacLellan hasn’t ruled out considering that."

See ya Mule! :sarcasm:

That's what I was assuming though. And I don't see the Wings dealing Helm and or Jurco. Mos def not trading Nyquist or Tatar.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
They're not going to get a true 1st line winger for a Mike Green rental. Just some marketing hyperbole from the GM to jack the pricetag up imo. The caps have Niskanen, Alzner, and Carlson locked up for at least a couple years each, then there's that misguided Orpik contract.

They're not re-signing Green, might as well get something instead of nothing for him. I don't see Green being the difference maker for Washington in a PO series the way they're using him(5th in TOI/GP). He's obviously not a part of their future plans.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Green is 3rd line, 1st PP. This is good for him as he's sorta injury-prone and other D can do the heavy lifting. If the Caps aren't going to sign him, why not get picks? I think the Caps will re-sign him

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Green is 3rd line, 1st PP. This is good for him as he's sorta injury-prone and other D can do the heavy lifting. If the Caps aren't going to sign him, why not get picks? I think the Caps will re-sign him

Near zero chance Green is in Washington in October. The Caps have just North of $18m in cap space tied up in just their top 4 Dmen next season. No way they can sign a bottom pairing guy to a $6m+ cap hit and still deal with pending UFAs(Erskine, Fehr, Ward).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
from the Washington Post

Yeah, really really really don't see him coming here at the deadline.

Hope we trade for his negotiationg rights before free agency opens though. Sick of striking out opening day.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
They're not going to get a true 1st line winger for a Mike Green rental. Just some marketing hyperbole from the GM to jack the pricetag up imo. The caps have Niskanen, Alzner, and Carlson locked up for at least a couple years each, then there's that misguided Orpik contract.

They're not re-signing Green, might as well get something instead of nothing for him. I don't see Green being the difference maker for Washington in a PO series the way they're using him(5th in TOI/GP). He's obviously not a part of their future plans.

They could get something lesser for him at the draft. He'll definitely have teams willing to give up a pick for him then.

But if they're hellbent on trading him, and want a forward, we should get Buffalo involved. Detroit trades something like Jensen/Marchenko/AA/whichever prospect Buffalo's scouts liked best in Grand Rapids that isn't Pulkkinen or Mantha and a 3rd to Buffalo for Stewart. Detroit then flips Stewart and Smith to Washington for Green and a 4th. That should assuage Washington's concerns about trading while in a playoff spot and they get to keep an asset in Smith in case Stewart is lost.

It's a heavy price to pay for a potential rental, but it's not like we'd trade for Green if we didn't have every intention of re-signing him in the first place. And I tend to think that players want to stay in Detroit once they get here.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Not bad. I'd like that deal better if a conditional pick was coming back to Detroit if Green signs, but a 3 way deal like that is probably the only way Green goes to a playoff bound Eastern conference rival before the playoffs.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Looks like talks ongoing between ducks and sabres centered around myers. Really hope this means no chance Holland trades some asinine package for him.

No way capitals are getting a first line winger for Green. Should be able to be had for a top nine forward and a first though. I'd be pretty good with that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why does Anaheim want Myers? They have 3 young studs in Fowler, Lindholm, and Vatanen.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Tyer Myer's grand total of 2 goals this season will definitely help our number 1 PP going forward :sarcasm:

Myers is not a star player. He wont be a top pairing D man on half the team in this league. Defensively, he's not even close to being elite.

Ive been waiting for Sabres to come to their senses but it looks like they are getting crazier by the minutes. please if they want to rob a team blind, it wont be Wings. Our D system is good enough to handle alot of things as it is.

At least Green can score

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Tyer Myer's grand total of 2 goals this season will definitely help our number 1 PP going forward :sarcasm:

Myers is not a star player. He wont be a top pairing D man on half the team in this league. Defensively, he's not even close to being elite.

Ive been waiting for Sabres to come to their senses but it looks like they are getting crazier by the minutes. please if they want to rob a team blind, it wont be Wings. Our D system is good enough to handle alot of things as it is.

At least Green can score

You do know that Buffalo is by far the worst offensive team in the league, right? They don't even have 100 goals on the season yet.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
You do know that Buffalo is by far the worst offensive team in the league, right? They don't even have 100 goals on the season yet.

well maybe if he scored on his chances, they wont be the worst offensive team in the league.

Even considering they are the worst offensive team, something just doesn't add up. We have 6 or more D who scored more than 2+ goals this season. some of them without PP time unlike Myers.

Mind you, it's not like I've watched him closely or anything. Actually I dont even remember how he played but I dont think we should overpay at all. I would actually pay more for Ristolainen

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
well maybe if he scored on his chances, they wont be the worst offensive team in the league.

Even considering they are the worst offensive team, something just doesn't add up. We have 6 or more D who scored more than 2+ goals this season. some of them without PP time unlike Myers.

Mind you, it's not like I've watched him closely or anything. Actually I dont even remember how he played but I dont think we should overpay at all. I would actually pay more for Ristolainen

The point is, especially for a defenseman, you only get so many scoring chances on the worst offensive team in the league. He would literally have to have scored 14 more goals for them to be tied for the second worst offensive team. That would give him more goals than any defenseman in the league on the worst offensive team. I'm not going to fault him for that.

We have more scoring defensemen because we are the 7th best offensive team in the league. Unless you genuinely believe Kyle Quincey is better offensively than Tyler Myers...

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
The point is, especially for a defenseman, you only get so many scoring chances on the worst offensive team in the league. He would literally have to have scored 14 more goals for them to be tied for the second worst offensive team. That would give him more goals than any defenseman in the league on the worst offensive team. I'm not going to fault him for that.

We have more scoring defensemen because we are the 7th best offensive team in the league. Unless you genuinely believe Kyle Quincey is better offensively than Tyler Myers...

yet he gets all the opportunities and doesnt score.

my point is on two fronts.

1) if he's an elite offensive D man, he would have scored more than 2 goals even on the worst offensive team. so that kinda rules him out of being offensive D.

2) but at the same time, he's not that good defensively.

so what is he? and why do Wings need to overpay?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
yet he gets all the opportunities and doesnt score.

my point is on two fronts.

1) if he's an elite offensive D man, he would have scored more than 2 goals even on the worst offensive team. so that kinda rules him out of being offensive D.

2) but at the same time, he's not that good defensively.

so what is he? and why do Wings need to overpay?

All the opportunities? Defensemen never get all the opportunities. You just admitted you haven't really watched him play this season so how would you know how many opportunities he gets? He certainly gets less opportunities than 90% of the defensemen in the NHL so he could reasonably have a similar finishing % compared to other offensive defensemen who get way more opportunities to score.

1) I never said he was elite offensively, but he's probably better than anyone on our team not named Kronwall.

2) He's decent defensively. Wouldn't say he's worse than someone like Smith.

He's a young, offensively-talented behemoth of a defenseman with opportunity to grow and play on our team for the next 10+ years. The Wings won't offer what Buffalo wants, so we're not going to get him. There's a reason though that he's commanded interest from so many teams and will require a lot to get him.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
All the opportunities? Defensemen never get all the opportunities. You just admitted you haven't really watched him play this season so how would you know how many opportunities he gets? He certainly gets less opportunities than 90% of the defensemen in the NHL so he could reasonably have a similar finishing % compared to other offensive defensemen who get way more opportunities to score.

1) I never said he was elite offensively, but he's probably better than anyone on our team not named Kronwall.

2) He's decent defensively. Wouldn't say he's worse than someone like Smith.

He's a young, offensively-talented behemoth of a defenseman with opportunity to grow and play on our team for the next 10+ years. The Wings won't offer what Buffalo wants, so we're not going to get him. There's a reason though that he's commanded interest from so many teams and will require a lot to get him.

I bet he's not similar on same finishing %. On all the bottoms teams in the league (including buffalo) they are D guys who scored more goals than him. Was Myers just unlukcy?

as for your 2 points, you said he is definitely better defensively than Smith and worse offensively than Kronwall... a guy who's offensively worse than Kronner and Defensively better than Smith... doesn't sound like whole lot. Isn't it? How good do you think he is offensively and Defensively, please specify precisely because a player you just describe could be any random joe in NHL.

He WAS offensively talented because he was so aggressive during his first few seasons. Now that he's trying to play like a real D, he's neither offensive, nor elite in D. He's just a somewhat talented guy who can definitely help Wings but not worth the price.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I bet he's not similar on same finishing %. On all the bottoms teams in the league (including buffalo) they are D guys who scored more goals than him. Was Myers just unlukcy?

as for your 2 points, you said he is definitely better defensively than Smith and worse offensively than Kronwall... a guy who's offensively worse than Kronner and Defensively better than Smith... doesn't sound like whole lot. Isn't it? How good do you think he is offensively and Defensively, please specify precisely because a player you just describe could be any random joe in NHL.

He WAS offensively talented because he was so aggressive during his first few seasons. Now that he's trying to play like a real D, he's neither offensive, nor elite in D. He's just a somewhat talented guy who can definitely help Wings but not worth the price.

If you admit you don't follow him closely or remember how he played last time Detroit played Buffalo, how are you supposed to tell us what kind of player he is?

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
If you admit you don't follow him closely or remember how he played last time Detroit played Buffalo, how are you supposed to tell us what kind of player he is?

it's not like any of us followed him closely. does it make any differences?

I've watched couple clips of him. I did watch couple Wings sabres game this season. I just dont particularly remember him.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
it's not like any of us followed him closely. does it make any differences?

I've watched couple clips of him. I did watch couple Wings sabres game this season. I just dont particularly remember him.

And the people who do follow him closely rave about his game and do not want to trade him. (Ie Sabre fans.)

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
And the people who do follow him closely rave about his game and do not want to trade him. (Ie Sabre fans.)

actually the impression I got from Sabres fans is quite different. Although I haven't closely followed Myers with my eyes, I followed him on Sabres thread

The impression I get is that Myers is kinda like Dekeyser in value. A very good D man who can definitely help a team but not really a star.

I'm not saying Myers is a trash. Not even close. I want Myers on this team definitely. Just dont think he's anywhere near asking price nor is a star as of yet. just like DD

barnztormre

Our goley is awsom
Jan 21, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL
No way capitals are getting a first line winger for Green. Should be able to be had for a top nine forward and a first though. I'd be pretty good with that.

I'm not. With our record of finding gems like Larkin and Mantha in the mid-late first round I don't want to deal our firsts. I don't think anyone would do Larkin/top 9 F for Green.

Detroit Sports*

I'm not. With our record of finding gems like Larkin and Mantha in the mid-late first round I don't want to deal our firsts. I don't think anyone would do Larkin/top 9 F for Green.

Agreed. I say we go into the playoffs with what we have vs basically giving away a mantha or Larkin for a rental!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad