Post-Game Talk: Record breaking Slaf and the Habs lose to dirty Rags

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I don't think that's very realistic unless we get very lucky in the lottery but Lindstrom is also possibility. That would be a sick consolation prize.
I know, I’m not actually counting on luck, I mean, I am of full mental health… relatively for a poster on this board :laugh:

But we are bare looking on offense. Glad for the first line but the gap between what we have that’s ready for prime time and what’s available and in the pipeline is way too large. I’ve drumming this beat but we have to step on our egos and LOSE A TRADE to bring in a very good to excellent NHL ready forward that moves the needle.

I’ve said this about MB a lot; he wasn’t willing to lose a trade to bring in a player… when it mattered. I hope we trade a D prospect for a forward this summer. One that has value, not a Harris or a Struble.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and V13

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Terrible 2nd period per usual. Damn the team just completely fell apart.

Not a terrible loss though. Caufield 2g, 1a. Slafkovsky 1g, 1a & Suzuki 1a. Top line was excellent again. Caufield is one goal away from 20 goals & definitely has the potential to hit 30 goals this year. Slafkovsky is 8 goals from 20. I really hope he gets there.

The rest of the forwards pretty much suck particularly the 3 amigos: Pearson, Gallagher & Anderson. They are just awful.

Newhook is not a good center. He's just way better on the wing.

Tough night for the D & Montembeault, who finished with a .774 save percentage.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
You bring a Zegras and a Guentzel in and pouf, contender team with Armia/Ylo/Gally/Pearson out and Beck on 4th line to ease him in. But it would cost...
I really just want us to trade Winnipeg and Calgary's first + a prospect for him, so we man say we got him for Monahan+

Reactions: NewDef

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Emil Heinnemann?? ;)
Indeed, forgot about him. I used to really like him, he seems to have somewhat stalled lately. I wish he had a development curve a bit steeper. He may surprise at camp. I wish we had more roster spot freed for camp surprises.

Reactions: Habs13

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Worst part of watching a game is after loses conference by Habs coach, and players. always repeat the same clichés, in both language. The tone voice of the coach is so sorry, sounds he's mourning, always some kind of mumble. I like when they go back to the studio talk, they talk 'normaly' and we can get the analyses of what happened. I don't expect from the coach to explain anything.

I do the same thing after bedding the ladies!

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Not a terrible loss though. Caufield 2g, 1a. Slafkovsky 1g, 1a & Suzuki 1a. Top line was excellent again. Caufield is one goal away from 20 goals & definitely has the potential to hit 30 goals this year. Slafkovsky is 8 goals from 20. I really hope he gets there.

The rest of the forwards pretty much suck particularly the 3 amigos: Pearson, Gallagher & Anderson. They are just awful.

Our veteran forwards are truly a let down. With the exception of Monahan, we've see so many veteran forwards with questionable efforts or just a lack of skill to contribute. Its disappointing because their role is to guide and set an example for the younger forwards but its just not the case. If Anderson isnt gonna score, be physical. If Gally is past his prime, just drive to the net and play hard (but not dumb).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Between Anderson and Gally, Habs have both term and money locked up in 2 ineffective wingers. At some point, at least one of them will need to go if we're to start building a competitive team.
Gallagher can be bought out without too much inconvenience at some point as he’ll be untradeable.

As for Anderson, his contract will look more and more affordable as the cap goes up — should be moveable next season.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Gallagher can be bought out without too much inconvenience at some point as he’ll be untradeable.

As for Anderson, his contract will look more and more affordable as the cap goes up — should be moveable next season.
He's taking up a roster spot that he hasn't deserved this season. Its one thing not to score but to stop playing defense and stop hitting is infuriating. What happens if Heinemann out-plays him at camp?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's taking up a roster spot that he hasn't deserved this season. It’s one thing not to score but to stop playing defense and stop hitting is infuriating. What happens if Heinemann out-plays him at camp?
Put your best in the best position to shine.

Of course, vets who don’t pull their own weight are normally afforded too much rope which makes the idea of a meritocracy a pipe dream.

Reactions: Habs13

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Our veteran forwards are truly a let down. With the exception of Monahan, we've see so many veteran forwards with questionable efforts or just a lack of skill to contribute. Its disappointing because their role is to guide and set an example for the younger forwards but its just not the case. If Anderson isnt gonna score, be physical. If Gally is past his prime, just drive to the net and play hard (but not dumb).

Pearson we're done with this summer thank god. I don't think Montreal will be able to trade him at all at TD.

Gallagher we have to buyout summer of 2025. There's just no reason not to. Gorton used buyouts in New York to reset that roster. He'll need to do it with Gallagher.

Hopefully Anderson can be traded summer of 2025. He'll have 2 years left. We might be able to trade him with $1m to $1.5m of retention.

Evans, Allen, Armia & Savard's contracts are done after next season too.

It's tough, but one more year then we should be finally rid of Bergevin's awful team.

We have a #1 line. Dach should be a play driver on the 2nd unit if he can stay healthy. Newhook should be good to go as one of his wingers (he's not center). We need another top 6 forward.

And, we definitely need to fill out the bottom 6. We have some prospective prospects there: Beck, Kapanen, Roy, Mesar, Tuch, Xhekaj Jr., but we could use more. We need a lot more forward prospects.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I stopped watching early and missed all our 1st-line's heroics, but yeah baby – another multi-pointer for the teenager and Caufield is moving towards 30! I can live with that.

Of course, this'll become a lot tougher when we're rooting for the team and not just individual stats...

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

I thought for the most part this talent challenged team played as well as could be expected against a strong opponent.

After playing probably our best road period of the season in the first period, we made the mistake of starting to trade scoring chances with a superiorly talented opponent . The Rangers scored at a higher rate on their chances than we did. That’s what better teams usually do. But the team never gave up and continued to push back back and compete until the final whistle. With this team, we can ask for no more.

Some of our players were exposed. No more so than Kovacevic, who the Rangers repeatedly went around and through all game long. We have too many players who aren’t ready, will never be ready or are no longer ready to play at a high NHL level. And last night, Montembeault wasn’t able to mask that all telling fact as he has so often done this season.

Last edited:

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Worst part of watching a game is after loses conference by Habs coach, and players. always repeat the same clichés, in both language. The tone voice of the coach is so sorry, sounds he's mourning, always some kind of mumble. I like when they go back to the studio talk, they talk 'normaly' and we can get the analyses of what happened. I don't expect from the coach to explain anything.
Oh no mumbles is back :cry:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I know, I’m not actually counting on luck, I mean, I am of full mental health… relatively for a poster on this board :laugh:

But we are bare looking on offense. Glad for the first line but the gap between what we have that’s ready for prime time and what’s available and in the pipeline is way too large. I’ve drumming this beat but we have to step on our egos and LOSE A TRADE to bring in a very good to excellent NHL ready forward that moves the needle.

I’ve said this about MB a lot; he wasn’t willing to lose a trade to bring in a player… when it mattered.
I hope we trade a D prospect for a forward this summer. One that has value, not a Harris or a Struble.
I think that's what he tried to do when he traded Sergachev for Drouin after we were 1st in the Eastern Conference and had one of the best records in the NHL. Unfortunately he didn't keep Radulov and Markov and we all know what happened with Drouin/Sergachev.

But I get your point and agree that at some point it will probably be wise to overpay for a top line forward.

Reactions: Gustave

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
February

1708085004993.png

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I like what you are thinking here!!

Man the vets on this team for the most part have been...................................brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00