Recently traded #1Ds ?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You're right, Buff was a solid winger. McDonagh was a blue chip prospect, that was a surprisingly dumb trade from the second it happened.

Part of my thought in posting was to show these guys can come out of nowhere. I also wonder where I'd draw the line for #1's right now. It gets real foggy around ~15

McDonagh was dealt because the Koivu era was over and the Habs needed a new captain.

They were targeting Brian Gionta as a UFA but Gionta (rumoured) would only sign if the Habs got Gionta's best bud out of NY, the illustrious Scott Gomez.

Gomez was badly injured with a hernia a year or so later and became an absolute waste of space on the roster.

And he had a $9M cap hit (or whatever, ridiculously high).

It's one of those deals that is similar to Burke/Kessel.

Pretty much worst case scenario plays out and you look like a bum GM.

Literally every high profile trade could end up like this. These rare examples tell you that the worst case is not all that common.

Unless you're a former GM of the Islanders and your name rhymes with Pillsbury.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Maybe not #1s but solid
Seth Jones
Brett Lebda
Adam Larson
Zdeno Chara...a little longer ago
Phaneuf
Bouwmeester
Jack Johnston
Bryan Berard. Had to throw him in, one of my all time fav Leafs
Shattenkirk
Why, why must you remind us of Lebderp?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Depending on the development of Rielly over the next year and a half and the fortune of the LA Kings, I could see the Leafs pursuing Drew Doughty in a Rielly+Kapanen+pick+throw in.
It would cost more than that. Which IMO is too much. I say too much because I genuinely believe this team can win a cup internally or with smaller deals. I never really bought into free agents wanting to come here over the years(Nash,stamkos etc) but Doughty and the Leafs on July 1 feels like the perfect storm. He's made it clear he wants to win cups, he grew up not far from here and he has the personality to deal with the awful media we have. He probably stays where he is but I'd bet we're number 2 on his list. In another few years we may be number 1. The Kings are going nowhere. Problem for the Leafs is, the cap will be an obvious issue. Depth will need to be sacrificed.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I want Drew Doughty. Make it work.

Rielly-Doughty
Gardiner-Zaitsev

Maybe trade 51 for a more defensive guy before he asks for 5.5M+?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs have played 4 rookies/sophomores on defence this season. They will be cheaper and fine once they play more NHL games.

Zaitsev Carrick Borgman Rosen

I'd like to see a vet added like Green for a playoff run. Similar to why Boyle was brought in for the forwards last year.

Liljegren and Dermott incoming soon.

In two years, summer of 2019:

Dermott Doughty
Rielly Zaitsev
Borgman Liljegren
Carrick

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
if we ever get doughty ,1 of reilly or gardiner will be gone ,besides u can already see zaitsev playing like he did in Russia ,the leafs just need to get the good players out on the ice more ,adding doughty doesn't help if he doesn't play 25-28 minutes a nite ,and playing one of reilly /gardiner 18 minutes is a waste of cap space ,I think the biggest question is who would u trade for doughty ?

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013
I want Drew Doughty. Make it work.

Rielly-Doughty
Gardiner-Zaitsev

Maybe trade 51 for a more defensive guy before he asks for 5.5M+?

How do you trade away Gardiner then end up with him on the second pairing? Give me some of what you're smoking.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
McDonagh was dealt because the Koivu era was over and the Habs needed a new captain.

They were targeting Brian Gionta as a UFA but Gionta (rumoured) would only sign if the Habs got Gionta's best bud out of NY, the illustrious Scott Gomez.

Gomez was badly injured with a hernia a year or so later and became an absolute waste of space on the roster.
Even when the deal was made his cap hit didn't match his production and the thought was the Rangers would likely need to dump him for free or a loss.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A few options out there will start to emerge. We don't need to acquire a "#1 D" to upgrade our defensive core. We really just need someone that can play high minutes, especially on the PK, without being a liability.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Heck out of all the dman mention that where traded how many teams acctually made trades seems like a few came or where traded off the same team.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Free agency, boys.
After this season, the Leafs will become THE destination for players looking for a Cup because we have such a well rounded team except in one glaring position.

Unfortunately some shuffling will need to be done with this young core to allow for FA's to be afforded under the cap. In the end I would love to have a Tavares here home in Toronto. Would fit in nicely with Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Marleau, Kadri and Brown. But how do you do this?

Maybe ridding ourselves of Bozak, JVR, and Komarov??? Is that worth a Tavares?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Unfortunately some shuffling will need to be done with this young core to allow for FA's to be afforded under the cap. In the end I would love to have a Tavares here home in Toronto. Would fit in nicely with Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Marleau, Kadri and Brown. But how do you do this?

Maybe ridding ourselves of Bozak, JVR, and Komarov??? Is that worth a Tavares?

I think at this point, Tavares is a pipe-dream. He'll want a lot more than the Leafs fan afford considering the role he'd play here.
Any UFA money HAS to go to defense if the right fit is available.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You guys would all be tremendously dissappointed seeing what a "#1 dman" actually looks like game in game out under the microscope you use on your own team.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It would cost more than that. Which IMO is too much. I say too much because I genuinely believe this team can win a cup internally or with smaller deals. I never really bought into free agents wanting to come here over the years(Nash,stamkos etc) but Doughty and the Leafs on July 1 feels like the perfect storm. He's made it clear he wants to win cups, he grew up not far from here and he has the personality to deal with the awful media we have. He probably stays where he is but I'd bet we're number 2 on his list. In another few years we may be number 1. The Kings are going nowhere. Problem for the Leafs is, the cap will be an obvious issue. Depth will need to be sacrificed.

Doughty has also gone out of his way to say how he and some other players wouldn't enjoy playing their game high profile location like Toronto where the media is in your face every day

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
We’ll have to develop from within and/or hope something good shakes loose in free agency. We haven’t even been able to trade for a top 4 let alone a #1.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we've traded and signed 3 top-4 dmen, actually. 2 of them are top-2/3 dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad