Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
So how about that dynamo, Pooh, since he got back on the ice?

pled

Sep 7, 2009
with dubois doing well I'd like a right winger over a center now. and its probably more affordable for the jackets

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
with dubois doing well I'd like a right winger over a center now. and its probably more affordable for the jackets

I do not think we need a winger right now. Maybe loading up at the deadline, sure...

I do not think any of those top 8 wingers should regularly be on the bench. Half of them are under performing, sure, but I don't think any of them are being asked to play too big of a role right now. Plus there are frequently situations like last night where Cam only got 9:30 TOI. I think adding a winger to this group would certainly take time away from people that can contribute.

Panarin- -Anderson
Foligno- -Bjorkstrand
Jenner- -Atkinson
Calvert- -Motte
Milano, Hannikainen, Schroeder, Dalpe

I am comfortable adding a C, W, or D for this team to load it up if it means primarily giving up futures or consolidating assets.

Kovy would've been a fun addition if it was a free agency situation.

Any way, I would be more than happy to add depth to this team before the playoffs, but I think if we are making a NHL player for NHL player trade, I think adding a wing is our lowest priority.

Reactions: mikeyp24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yeah w is by far the lowest of the lowest priority. Our RW is beyond stacked with goal scorers some just need to get going and At LW we have Panarin and the rest are all 20g capable.

Right now at C we either stay pat or huge splash. Some guys have said if JT was being moved Savard, Wennberg, Milano, 1st, 3rd would be taken. I think that package could be used to get a movable 1c of most teams. Maybe modify that to be no Wennberg but the rest the same for ROR? Other then those 2 baring something stupid with a Barkov I don't see anything other then a move to deepen the D or get C depth to sit in the press box until the run at the end.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If Ottawa continues to sink, how do we feel about possibly adding old friend (and my former username) Derick Brassard?

CBOJ

Nov 23, 2010
Grove City, Ohio
Anyone have any thoughts on Backlund from the flames? They could be sellers at the deadline and he is a UFA at the end of the year. Could give us some scoring depth at the C position.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anyone have any thoughts on Backlund from the flames? They could be sellers at the deadline and he is a UFA at the end of the year. Could give us some scoring depth at the C position.
I am starting to think the Jackets don't need to add a depth center, they just need to get through to Wennberg that any time he isn't in a game he needs to be practicing taking face-offs and shooting the puck.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Dubois is the #1 center we traded for. I’d be happy if other dudes pulled their finger out and started playing like NHLers.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dubois is the #1 center we traded for. I’d be happy if other dudes pulled their finger out and started playing like NHLers.

Dubois might be the #1 C on the roster, but its far from ideal to rely on a kid to continue his current play. Not saying he can't, but we saw what happened with Wennberg and Brassard before him. we need help still.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm beginning to think we need to replace Foligno, Jenner and Dubisky with a decent C and two left wings with some offensive talent. I know Wennberg sucks at f/o's but give him a capable LW to go with Cam on his RW maybe he comes out of his funk.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm beginning to think we need to replace Foligno, Jenner and Dubisky with a decent C and two left wings with some offensive talent. I know Wennberg sucks at f/o's but give him a capable LW to go with Cam on his RW maybe he comes out of his funk.

If not, then trade Cam too! Trade em all, let god sort em out.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If not, then trade Cam too! Trade em all, let god sort em out.
Then we can also trade JJ and Savard for other defensemen. And Calvert, because he doesn't score regularly either. Gotta trade them all! Nobody with more than 3 years experience on this team allowed! (Except maybe Bob. Maybe.)

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I am starting to think the Jackets don't need to add a depth center, they just need to get through to Wennberg that any time he isn't in a game he needs to be practicing taking face-offs and shooting the puck.

I'm not sure that we need to do anything at the moment. I would hope Wennberg can get it together and find his stride... Dubois will probably come back to earth a little and struggle occasionally...

I do have to wonder how much the team should invest in any center that would long term take time away from Dubois and Wennberg. I do think they are slotted in long term on the 1st and 2nd lines. Sure, for this season, it would be a luxury to have someone centering the third line like Dubois in his current form or Wennberg playing like he did last year. A lot of this rides on those two guys. Duby can handle his role as the default third line center with defensive responsibilities, although we've seen him play better. Sedlak has had an up and down year and needs to show improvement to get back to how he was last season, but isn't too out of place as an average 4C.

But right now the biggest gap in our lineup appears to be the holes left by injured Murray and Motte. And as much as I love those two players, those are holes on the third pair and fourth line. You aren't going to be healthy all season so finding ways to win with good players out is still important.

I think the top of our lineup is looking very solid on paper after the emergence of Dubois and Anderson. There are just lots of people that have hit 30 goals, or 50-60 points before that are collectively snakebitten, frustrated, putting in bad effort, or possibly playing through injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad