Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Now that Duchene is no longer an option , as well as Turris , where should the jackets go to shore up our center position . Ryan Nugent Hopkins has started the season out with 6 goals and 3 assists , and is a player that would create space for players like Cam , and Panarin .

What other options should the jackets be considering ?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There's no incentive for Edmonton to deal RNH.

Our best chance to shore up our C position is at the deadline when teams will fall out of contention. that gives time for Wennberg, Dubois, or whatever to step up.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
There's no incentive for Edmonton to deal RNH.

Our best chance to shore up our C position is at the deadline when teams will fall out of contention. that gives time for Wennberg, Dubois, or whatever to step up.
Wouldn’t his 6mill per season contract, be incentive for them to move him, especially if they can acquire some pieces that help them , like Murray, Jenner ?

Draisaitl will be making $8.5 million for the next eight years. To be honest that’s not a bad deal at all. Considering the fact that he had 77 points this season and 16 points in 13 playoff games, many believed he could get even more. On top of that, Connor McDavid will be making $12.5 million at the start of the 2018-2019 season.

That’s 1-2 down the middle. Do you keep Rnh at 6 mill per season to center 3rd line ?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wouldn’t his 6mill per season contract, be incentive for them to move him, especially if they can acquire some pieces that help them , like Murray, Jenner ?

Draisaitl will be making $8.5 million for the next eight years. To be honest that’s not a bad deal at all. Considering the fact that he had 77 points this season and 16 points in 13 playoff games, many believed he could get even more. On top of that, Connor McDavid will be making $12.5 million at the start of the 2018-2019 season.

That’s 1-2 down the middle. Do you keep Rnh at 6 mill per season to center 3rd line ?

I guess, getting a guy like Jenner would really help them. However, I don't know if its worth it for us. RNH is good, but Jenner is the heartbeat of the team (with Dubi and Calvert). I think we'd regret it.

Plus the cap relief would only be for a season or two. Jenner and Murray will probably make 6 million+ between their new deals combined.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Tyler Johnson. Start with Carlsson + 1st, if not try and do JJ + Pick. Lastly offer Murray.

Absolutely no way TB trades TJ anytime soon. Why would they? They have no reason to. They’re sitting pretty as the #1 ranked team in the league. Makes no sense, even if he’s off to a “slow start” this season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
RNH might be acquirable given that Edmonton is having a rough start to the season. TJ? That's not happening, not with how well the Lightning are doing.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I guess, getting a guy like Jenner would really help them. However, I don't know if its worth it for us. RNH is good, but Jenner is the heartbeat of the team (with Dubi and Calvert). I think we'd regret it.

Plus the cap relief would only be for a season or two. Jenner and Murray will probably make 6 million+ between their new deals combined.

Getting Jenner isn't going to do much for the Oilers -- one of their biggest issues right now is they have no speed. Jenner isn't going to do much for their speed issue..

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Im with you - we still need center; I'm just not a RNH fan. And it becomes a growing void if Wennberg can't show the progression as in previous years. (Right now I see regression).

Also as I watch this team as it's now playing, Boone isn't a guy I want to trade.And that's a different opinion than I had over the summer as I felt Andy could be Boone and more. But I think both have been among our better players.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nice thread title. You must moonlight for one of those clickbait sites my friends keep sharing on Facebook.

I'm telling you right now, if the "need" truly is "glaring," there is no "reasonable" fix for it.
We may have different thoughts into how big the weakness truly is, however, we have a converted winger that played center in pee wees is our top centerman. We have lost nearly every game against top competition, and if we wait until the deadline, we will pay thru the rear to get a number one center. Ryan Nugent Hopkins would be a massive upgrade over what we are currently rolling out there nightly basis. Hes an aggressive centerman that actually looks to score goals, he creates space on the ice for his wingers, which is a necessity when you go out and get a player like Panarin. I would have to think we are ideal trading partners with Edmonton. They need defense, as well as forwards that play a heavy game.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nutivaara continues to look impressive to me, so I'm ok with dealing either Murray or Carlsson. I just don't think there's a good trade partner out there. Best option IMO is Bozak for a 2nd + prospect.
Agree, Nutivaara is an absolute gem that we found, hes such a good passer, and has played really well this year. People forget , hes a second year defenseman.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Draisatl is playing wing on McDavid’s line. RNH is centering their 2nd line. They would need to get a 2C replacement in any deal for RNH. There’s no fit between teams.

As most here know, prior to drafting Johansen the Jackets tried everything they could think of to get a 1 C. They even made a terrible trade with Philly after drafting him in an attempt to fill that slot.

Look at what Colorado got for Duchene who isn’t even a top tier 1C.

Imho the way to get one is draft and development.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I'm fine with rolling with this team until closer to the deadline and seeing who is out then. RNH is not the answer.

This.

1st or 2nd year players on this team; Werenski, Anderson, Nutivaara, Hannikainen, Sedlak, Milano, DuBois, Carlsson, Bjorkstrand. That's 9.

I'm perfectly fine watching this team play as currently configured. It's a long season. If an opportunity presents itself, fine. If not, fine.

{channeling Aaron Rodgers} R-E-L-A-X

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
What is Atkinson's availability? If the Oilers had a chance to talk contract with him before a trade, I think he would check a lot of boxes. He and any one of your regular D would be the kind of package we'd want.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
DISCLAIMER: this idea most likely would never happen, but it's something to consider...

To CBJ: Leon Draisaitl

To EDM: Cam Atkinson + Gabriel Carlsson + 1st Rd pick

Edmonton has a significant need for speedy, goal scoring wingers and also are still searching to add to their blueline. Columbus has a glaring need at center and a lot of depth at D. Maybe something could be worked out around along these lines. Obviously Cam needs a new contract after this season, but he'd be more affordable under their cap long-term compared to Draisaitl.

Panarin-Draisaitl-Anderson
Jenner-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Dubois-Dubinksy-Foligno
Calvert-Sedlak-Hannikainen/Milano/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad