Speculation: Realistic return for Devils UFA's

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Has this incompetent league even finalized if the draft is happening this year?

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I think you underrate the Murray/Kulikov return and overrate the Gusev/Palms return... unless those two turn it around.
Palms: I cannot see us getting a 1st with his struggles. 2nd or solid prospect.
Gusev: 2nd would be a steal. 3rd (or anything) would be gravy
Zajac: 2nd round pick to the Islanders, 5th to anywhere else << NAILED IT maybe a 3rd/4th or change of scenery prospect to non Lou team. Would be a nice 4thline C on a cup team.
Murray: 2nd round draft pick or prospect
Kulikov: 3rd round pick or prospect
Dell: bag of pucks.
We already have the Islanders 2nd round pick next year.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Trades involving picks are going to be very weird this year.

On one hand, with a flat cap not expected to rise too much in the next few years, entry level players (Drafted) are going to be more valuable than ever.

On the other hand, all the minor leagues are weird this year, too, so how do you scout that? Maybe you'd rather have an proven NHL player instead of a pick.

It'll be interesting.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We already have the Islanders 2nd round pick next year.
We don’t have our 2nd though, Ray spent that on Gusev. We have eight picks, the only round we have two picks in is the 3rd, we have both ours and Arizona’s.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Anyone that wants Palms extended needs their head examined.

I think a 1-year or 2-year extension is fine. They need to invest in forward / winger help to begin with and letting him walk just means you have another replacement to make. That’s a real heavy lift to improving. At certain point you have to keep some players and add to them. If you are just on a cycle of moving your UFA’s and hoping a kid comes in to replace and improve on then you are just on a hamster wheel. Let the kids like Foote and Holtz push out the tweeners first.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
We don’t have our 2nd though, Ray spent that on Gusev. We have eight picks, the only round we have two picks in is the 3rd, we have both ours and Arizona’s.
Correct, however the scenario was the Islanders sending us their 2nd, which they can't, because we already have it. Not that they would anyway, for Zajac, as they have enough centers now.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Correct, however the scenario was the Islanders sending us their 2nd, which they can't, because we already have it. Not that they would anyway, for Zajac, as they have enough centers now.
Yeah, that’s clearly what you meant with that. Not even sure what my response from yesterday was about, lol.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Don't pretend to know what Lou will do LOL.. and they have a 2nd for the next draft

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I kinda still want them to give Palmieri an extension. Kulikov should be signed to IMO.

And how much are we giving Mr. Palmieri based on his play this season?

I imagine his ask would be 5 x 5. He will likely settle for less given what happened with last years UFA crop.

I don't give Palmieri anywhere near 5 x 5.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I imagine his ask would be 5 x 5. He will likely settle for less given what happened with last years UFA crop.

I doubt any UFA is getting a 5 year contract

I Think 3-4 years is much more realistic

Reactions: Darkauron

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
honestly, I see both sides of it with Palms. His play overall has been disappointing this year for sure...but how much of that is attributed to the Covid shutdown?

Our wingers overall stink at scoring goals, so is it really smart to let the best pure goal scorer we have walk? Hughes in particular needs way better finishers on his line.

PS I totally agree that I would not give him any type of longterm deal. But I would definitely consider a 2-3 year deal if he were open to that.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Eat half of palms cap total and you can prob squeeze out a late first

i think 2-3 years is the sweet spot for palms on the devils end wouldn’t go higher than 5.5 on salary

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
palms isn't getting a first as of right now that is. if he does it will be one of those that is determined on how far the team advances in the playoffs devils really should've looked to moving him last year the return would've been a lot better a 1st and a decent prospect or a second. zajac easily gets a second but i dont think they move him playoff teams would love to have him

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

Based on his season so far and Toffoli/Hoffman/Dadonov contracts, I'd say that there's no way he gets 5x5. I think he ends up with 1 year deal to show that this season is an outlier.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Palms: At least a late first from a playoff contender, despite the down year his reputation around the league is solid, at least a couple of teams will still offer a 1st round pick for him. (He's also a relatively small salary to fit under the cap, especially if the Devils retain).

Gusev: Probably a 4th round pick, just based on his relatively decent stats from last year. Someone will take a chance on him, but he won't return anything significant.

Zajac: If he elects to waive he'll get a 2nd round pick from somebody just because of his leadership and reputation as a defensive/faceoff stalwart. Yes he's declined but he's the kind of veteran teams fall over themselves to add for playoff depth.

Murray: He won't return anything significant due to his health issues, might re-coup the 5th we gave up for him if we're lucky, likely won't get moved at all.

Kulikov: I'd much rather re-sign him, but he'd probably garner at least a 3rd from somebody, he's had a very solid year. Hopefully he's willing to stick around for a couple of years.

Dell: Zero. Nobody will trade an asset for him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I don't see anyone aside from absolute starts getting a 5 year deal but I'd give him a 3 or 4 year deal with an AAV of somewhere between 5 and 6 mil

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
honestly, I see both sides of it with Palms. His play overall has been disappointing this year for sure...but how much of that is attributed to the Covid shutdown?

Our wingers overall stink at scoring goals, so is it really smart to let the best pure goal scorer we have walk? Hughes in particular needs way better finishers on his line.

PS I totally agree that I would not give him any type of longterm deal. But I would definitely consider a 2-3 year deal if he were open to that.

I get it but like....we wonder why we have goal scoring issues but we keep bringing back the same guys/bringing in the same types of guys that don't score with any semblance of consistency.

Palmieri might be the best pure goal scorer that we have, but that doesn't mean he's that good. He's 30 and he has 179 career goals. He's scored 30 goals 1 time. He's not that great of a goal scorer and certainly replaceable. More importantly, he does not mesh with the style of center this team has. Tying ourselves to him for 2-3 more years gives me agita.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad