Speculation: Realistic return for Devils UFA's

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Wahlstrom would be a perfect type return for Palmieri but he’s playing too well and Palmieri is playing too shitty for that to happen now.

I’d definitely add to get Wahlstrom and we have their 2nd round pick and Lou won’t be able to resist possibly adding Zajac lol

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I see a lot of drivel and back and forth arguing on Palmieri and whether he’s worth this hypothetically and do the Devils want him back and why aren’t we hearing about extensions without entertaining a very real and plausible reality.

Has anybody entertained the idea that maybe he actually doesn’t want to be here, won’t sign to stay here, and wants out? Covid or not, I’ve watched a quarter century of professional hockey and Devils games and I can spot a player tired of losing and wanting a change of scenery a mile away.

Palmieri has that look. And if he’s only willing to stay for a ridiculous long term AAV overpay, we already know how that would end later on and suggests to me both parties know the divorce or separation is coming soon whether it’s in a few weeks or few months.

Best bet is to give him a shot at playoffs glory somewhere given all the recent losing and get assets. I don’t think he want to spend the next couple and maybe only few more real years he has left on a rebuilding and fringe team at best.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I see a lot of drivel and back and forth arguing on Palmieri and whether he’s worth this hypothetically and do the Devils want him back and why aren’t we hearing about extensions without entertaining a very real and plausible reality.

Has anybody entertained the idea that maybe he actually doesn’t want to be here, won’t sign to stay here, and wants out? Covid or not, I’ve watched a quarter century of professional hockey and Devils games and I can spot a player tired of losing and wanting a change of scenery a mile away.

Palmieri has that look. And if he’s only willing to stay for a ridiculous long term AAV overpay, we already know how that would end later on and suggests to me both parties know the divorce or separation is coming soon whether it’s in a few weeks or few months.

Best bet is to give him a shot at playoffs glory somewhere given all the recent losing and get assets. I don’t think he want to spend the next couple and maybe only few more real years he has left on a rebuilding and fringe team at best.

I said earlier in this thread that Palmieri has checked out. He definitely looks checked out to me.

If he does get moved, I do hope its to a real contender. You have to think at this stage of his career, he waives his no-trade clause if there is a team on his no-trade list that has a great shot at winning the Cup.

This thread is about realistic return for UFA's but with Palmieri, his value is almost impossible to define right now. Is he a player who would benefit from a change of scenery? Absolutely. Is there a GM willing to give up a 1st rounder plus for him? Maybe.

At this point, I assume we are trading him as there hasn't been contract talks from my understanding. I think we will ultimately get a 2nd rounder plus a prospect who is on the verge of playing in the NHL (think Kuokkanen like from last deadline).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Exactly. This is why WAR in baseball has proven to be effective in analyzing players.

It's not "we lose Palmieri we are losing 25-30 goals per season, who can replace that?" It's "we are losing 25-30 goals per season but could player A or B, given the same kind of icetime and responsibility, put up similar numbers to 25-30 goals". You might be surprised at the results.

Palmieri puts up 30goals/82 games during an NHL season and makes 4.65 mil per season
Player B puts up 20goals/82 games during an NHL season and makes 1.5 mil per season

Which is the better player for your team?

For the Devils, for just next season? Palmieri, because the marginal cost is almost meaningless, given how far away from the salary cap the Devils are - they can't possibly cram enough improvement into other positions with the dollars they are saving.

We've all been through more than a decade of losing players and saying 'Oh, it's fine, their replacement is cheaper'. And yes, that is true, and obviously when you lose a player who is UFA age, he is almost always on the downslope of his career. And I'm not saying the Devils should absolutely keep Palmieri - again, if they get a 1st round pick in return, he should be out the door. But if the returns are going to be on the order of a 2nd round pick, and he's amenable to staying, it's something they should consider doing.

Reactions: Smitty426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad