RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Very strong showing from Liljegren in his first pre-season game of 2018-19.

Looks far more comfortable than he did in last year's preseason.

Reactions: DanM

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Picked up his 1st pre-season point last night (start at 2:12).

Nice drop pass from Marner lead to a pretty solid shot from Liljegren. Tavares cleaned up the rebound.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Lilly needs to learn to get that motor moving at all times. Every time he got stripped of the puck in the past two games was when he was gliding in his own d-zone trying to find an outlet pass. It doesn't work like that in the NHL when you're trying to breakout of your own zone because there will always be an opposition player on your tail ready to strip that puck. Once Lilly can figure that out, he's going to be an absolute beast. Oh and work on your f***ing shot too. I feel like he's spent all of his time solely focusing on playing defensive that he's let his offensive instincts and skills get rusty.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Turned the puck over or got stripped a number of times last night but a lot of that can probably be attributed to trying to acclimate himself to full game speed again... that can be ironed out pretty easily. I doubt he'll ever be the offensive dynamo he showed he might be as a 16 year old, but he's rounded out his defensive game really well and he can move the puck up the ice in a way that very few others can.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Turned the puck over or got stripped a number of times last night but a lot of that can probably be attributed to trying to acclimate himself to full game speed again... that can be ironed out pretty easily. I doubt he'll ever be the offensive dynamo he showed he might be as a 16 year old, but he's rounded out his defensive game really well and he can move the puck up the ice in a way that very few others can.
I think this might be the best general summary of Liljegren I've seen here. Restrained but complimentary. We've seen him play a lot in Toronto now and I don't think it's realistic to think his decision making will suddenly become elite or his shot will blow anyone away. Probably a good NHL puck mover; probably not smart enough to top any lists.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think this might be the best general summary of Liljegren I've seen here. Restrained but complimentary. We've seen him play a lot in Toronto now and I don't think it's realistic to think his decision making will suddenly become elite or his shot will blow anyone away. Probably a good NHL puck mover; probably not smart enough to top any lists.
I wouldn't say he has a bad shot as much as he seems to have trouble getting it through to the net at times.

Definitely something he should work on.

His skating and puck moving ability are so silky.

Madic

May 21, 2008
I wouldn't say he has a bad shot as much as he seems to have trouble getting it through to the net at times.

Definitely something he should work on.

His skating and puck moving ability are so silky.
His shot is good for a defenceman I think, certainly better than Rielly's was and Dermott's is. It's just not hard or accurate enough to be a surefire top powerplay weapon from distance.

His skating is, yeah, smooth af and the Gardiner comparisons are apt.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Rielly-Rasanen
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott-Durzi

Leafs D in 3-4 years.
that's either very optimistic, or you're projecting the Leafs defense to be really bad. Having our 4 top defense prospects turn out to be 4/6ths of a good D corps is a ridiculously unlikely event. Let's hope we get 2 good ones out of those 4, that would be a great result

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I really don't think Button was that crazy with the prime/peak Daley comparison. He's got potential for more, but there's a very good chance he doesn't have that "final 5%" of offensive IQ that separates the good transition guys and volume enablers from the true creators and offensive catalysts.

A smooth 30 point 3D that's good in transition would be a fine outcome

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I really don't think Button was that crazy with the prime/peak Daley comparison. He's got potential for more, but there's a very good chance he doesn't have that "final 5%" of offensive IQ that separates the good transition guys and volume enablers from the true creators and offensive catalysts.

A smooth 30 point 3D that's good in transition would be a fine outcome

I fully agree with Button's take on Liljegren. I wouldn't expect him to become much of a point producer in the NHL but I think he has more upside on the defensive side than people give him credit for. Key for Liljegren is to figure out what his limitations are.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think he has the tools to be a 35-45 point guy on the backend. He's got the hands, the passing ability and skating ability all down pat but I think his biggest offensive weakness is his creativity in the offensive zone. Still should be a valuable piece as a two way puck mover but I don't expect him to regularly eclipse 50 points in the NHL.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Rielly-Rasanen
Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott-Durzi

Leafs D in 3-4 years.

I see some comments about "Rasanen" not being a top pair Dman. Personally I like the "balanced " lineup you suggested. I think the top pairing is somewhat overblown by fans. Even so called "bottom pairings, might not play the PP or have all that much time on PK. but they do play 15 minute a game mostly at even strength. As a result they better be NHL good....with whatever rating fans give them.

Reactions: tmlfan98

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He probably should, but he won't. I think Babcock actually said there was 1000% chance he doesn't lol. He's been our 3rd best dman this preseason, probably the best on the right side.
lol, sounds about right..Babcock and Q must have went to the same school of coaching...those types of decisions might have worked 6-10 years ago, but if he is ready you play him now...just happening all over the league by other coaches especially at defense for younger players.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He probably should, but he won't. I think Babcock actually said there was 1000% chance he doesn't lol. He's been our 3rd best dman this preseason, probably the best on the right side.
He absolutely has not been good enough to make the team based on his play so far. I am a fan but come on...let's be realistic here he has been good not great and a lot of the time Sandin has actually looked the better of the 2 young swedes.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
lol, sounds about right..Babcock and Q must have went to the same school of coaching...those types of decisions might have worked 6-10 years ago, but if he is ready you play him now...just happening all over the league by other coaches especially at defense for younger players.
I'm not really sure what that poster is watching. Liljgren has looked good so far but he really hasn't done anything to make himself a spot on the team in my opinion. He 100% needs another year in the AHL.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Definitely best for his development that he plays with the Marlies. He was sheltered last year at 18 there. Now at 19 he'll have a bigger role.

He'll also be counted on to be the all-situations top pair guy for Sweden at the WJC this year which will be good for him. Especially with Brannstrom maybe sticking with Vegas, he'll be heavily leaned on in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino