RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He absolutely has not been good enough to make the team based on his play so far. I am a fan but come on...let's be realistic here he has been good not great and a lot of the time Sandin has actually looked the better of the 2 young swedes.

I'd have to agree. some pretty egregious giveaways by young Timmy in the last week. he doesn't look NHL ready yet, and that's fine. you can see the raw tools are there, he just needs experience.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He absolutely has not been good enough to make the team based on his play so far. I am a fan but come on...let's be realistic here he has been good not great and a lot of the time Sandin has actually looked the better of the 2 young swedes.

Alright, name the guys on the right side who have been better?

I am not saying I want him there, but I think he right now is the 2nd or 3rd best RHD and definitely the 7th best guy we have at the position.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Timmy is more talented than just about anyone on the roster at RHD but I have to agree, 1 more year with the Marlies playing 25 minutes/game and he should walk into a top 4 D role next year. The leafs had better hope so because they surely do need help there

Reactions: Critical91

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Alright, name the guys on the right side who have been better?

I am not saying I want him there, but I think he right now is the 2nd or 3rd best RHD and definitely the 7th best guy we have at the position.

If it's preseason only, IMO, Zaitsev has been the best on the right side. Ozhiganov has looked good.

Hainsey, Holl, and the others have mostly been a train wreck.

As for Liljegren, he could probably use another year of seasoning. It's not that he isn't sufficient now (perhaps he is), but he has room to grow- therefore no room to burn a year of his ELC when we'll need the cap space moving forward.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If it's preseason only, IMO, Zaitsev has been the best on the right side. Ozhiganov has looked good.

Hainsey, Holl, and the others have mostly been a train wreck.

As for Liljegren, he could probably use another year of seasoning. It's not that he isn't sufficient now (perhaps he is), but he has room to grow- therefore no room to burn a year of his ELC when we'll need the cap space moving forward.

Zaitsev has been a train wreck too, IMO. I am bias against him, though. Maybe I should give him another shot.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Zaitsev has been a train wreck too, IMO. I am bias against him, though. Maybe I should give him another shot.
Zaitsev definitely hasn't been a train wreck so far. I definitely think it would be best if you could not be biased against him. He is skating the puck out of our end again like he was the first year over.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Zaitsev looks really good so far. It’s just preseason but I would bank on him resembling rookie season Zaitsev opposed to the mess that we saw last year

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I realize that no matter what this is going to follow Liljegren throughout his career. Because in the months leading up to the draft some scouts said that he had a low IQ, made risky plays and that resulted in bad giveaways, people are going to continue to bang that drum no matter how he plays.

In two preseasons (so far) Liljegren has one recorded giveaway. His giveaways per 60 is the lowest among any Leafs D over those two pre-seasons. And Liljegren has the puck a lot. Now of course people are going to say that the D who are already guaranteed to make the team are not trying very hard so you can't compare them with players trying to make the team (however the Leafs' D giveaways/60 during the last two preseasons is the exact same as the Leafs' D giveaways/60 during the last regular season - 2.96). So here is a list of young D trying to make NHL teams:

Giveaways/60 (all strengths) career preseasons:
Foote 0.00
Claque 0.81
Liljegren 1.27
Carlo 1.35
Bean 1.64
Bouchard 1.79
Myers 1.79
Niku 1.84
Boqvist 1.98
Juulsen 2.06
Juolevi 2.07
Kylington 2.08
Chabot 2.44
Vaakanainen 2.47
Hronek 2.55
Heiskanen 2.62
Merkley 2.84
Beaudin 2.85
Dahlin 2.98
Smith 3.02
Brannstrom 3.12
Dobson 3.42
Valimaki 3.79
Sandin 4.87
Wilde 7.20
Joseph 7.98

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He had 1 goal in 64 AHL games last year (includes playoffs). Glad to see he's at one goal in one game to start this year off, it's one area I think there's clearly room for improvement.

Treasure Island

Mar 24, 2014
Kingston
Lilly was pulled back last year.
The Leafs knew he was a powerful skater, could make the breakout pass and carry the puck up the ice.
BUT. They wanted him to learn how to play in his own end.
He had 3rd and 4th line minutes last year to learn the defensive side of the game.
He did that and in the playoffs he was unleashed.
Watch for him to have a breakout year and around Christmas maybe a call up or two the the big club.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Not every project pan out, wasnt he supposed to be a lock this season according to Tml fans! Rosen was the best marlie last season and he was a turnover machine in preseason games.

Liljegren could take 2-3 years more to develope, if he ever make a Nhl career.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Not every project pan out, wasnt he supposed to be a lock this season according to Tml fans! Rosen was the best marlie last season and he was a turnover machine in preseason games.

Lol...don't you wish.

18 years old and played in the AHL. He didn't turn 19 until April.

The Leafs have a more measured approach with their prospects than in the past. They don't rush everyone into the league like the Oilers only to burn ELC years and discover halfway through the season they should have developed them more.

The Leafs are doing with Liljegren what they did with Dermott. They are making his game into a complete game, focusing on conditioning and the d-side of things last season, and this season you can expect him to be unleashed offensively and play in all situations (probably PK work too) with lots of ice time.

The Leafs are also being very mindful of when they break guys in terms of their contracts. They want him coming off an ELC at an opportune time.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006

Sports fans are an interesting breed.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Liljegren can continue to bake in the minors. The beautiful part about last year is that he played in the AHL AND didn't burn a year on his ELC. We're talking about a 19 year old kid - I'm looking forward to him putting up more points this season in a bigger role with the Marlies.

Reactions: Fixxer

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Lol...don't you wish.

The Leafs have a more measured approach with their prospects than in the past. They don't rush everyone into the league like the Oilers only to burn ELC years and discover halfway through the season they should have developed them more.

The Leafs are doing with Liljegren what they did with Dermott. They are making his game into a complete game, focusing on conditioning and the d-side of things last season, and this season you can expect him to be unleashed offensively and play in all situations (probably PK work too) with lots of ice time.

The Leafs are also being very mindful of when they break guys in terms of their contracts. They want him coming off an ELC at an opportune time.

Yeeah Sabres rush Dahlin! If Liljegren had been Nhl worthy, he had played a sheltered Role at a terrible right side.
Has nothing to do with burn him off!

Hes a longshot high risk high reward project,he looks far far from being a Nhl defender, brainsurgery hasnt been in use for hockey purpose yet.

Liljegren are back in swedish hockey leuage sooner then later!

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Yeeah Sabres rush Dahlin! If Liljegren had been Nhl worthy, he had played a sheltered Role at a terrible right side.
Has nothing to do with burn him off!

Hes a longshot high risk high reward project,he looks far far from being a Nhl defender, brainsurgery hasnt been in use for hockey purpose yet.

Liljegren are back in swedish hockey leuage sooner then later!
I am not sure what is funnier, the fact that you had to choose Dahlin as your example, or the Sabres as your model franchise for player development.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Good that i brought some fun to your life, luckily you have andersen! Välimäki then? About same draftposition, miles before Liljegren. Brännström looks like the real deal, his first Ahl game was friggin good. Liljegren is miles away to make a horrendous right side, he hasnt a defensive upside and havent showed any offense in even at the Ahl level yet! @Appsyl

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Good that i brought some fun to your life, luckily you have andersen! Välimäki then? About same draftposition, miles before Liljegren. Brännström looks like the real deal, his first Ahl game was friggin good. Liljegren is miles away to make a horrendous right side, he hasnt a defensive upside and havent showed any offense in even at the Ahl level yet! @Appsyl
17 points in 44 games as an 18 year old D men in the AHL isn't showing anything? Okay then...

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No, but Liljegren arent exactly projected as a defensive stud!

Butthearted as usually, overestimate their prospects heavily! Funny that their were plenty of you who pencilled in Liljegren in the lineup this season, yeeah no need to upgrade the right flank.

There were a
pretty bad draft year for D , But Brannstrom are Nhl ready, had a great camp, Valimaki took a rosterspot in Flames, Vaakanainen also looked ready.

So the only one who doesnt look Nhl ready from the 4 first taken D in his draftyear is Liljegren, played in a stacked ahl team who won the calder and didnt produced more. That right side on the Leafs are terrible, and you have tweeners as Rosen, Borgman , Marincin before him, even Sandin looks more ready.
The good news is that if he is a bust like you say he is and destined to be back in Sweden soon you don't have to follow his progress anymore....so just run along now I am sure there is another Leaf prospect for you to obsess over.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad