RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Lol at the people saying he can be a top 10 Dman let alone top 20, I can easily name you 20 defensemen that are better than him.

Weber, Josi, Ellis, Subban, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Giordano, Hamilton, Slavin, Keith, Jones, Johnson, Klingberg, Burns, Doughty, Karlsson, Lindholm Suter, Byfuglien, Spurgeon, Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Vlasic, Fowler, Werenski.

That’s 24 of which many recevied votes for the Norris last year.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Lol at the people saying he can be a top 10 Dman let alone top 20, I can easily name you 20 defensemen that are better than him.

Weber, Josi, Ellis, Subban, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Giordano, Hamilton, Slavin, Keith, Jones, Johnson, Klingberg, Burns, Doughty, Karlsson, Lindholm Suter, Byfuglien, Spurgeon, Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Vlasic, Fowler, Werenski.

What thread am I in again???

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I won't disagree with not having a great game; the whole defence was out of sync. But I'd never describe Lilly as "awkward"...uncertain maybe? He's fluid even when he's not having a great game. He definitely needs more AHL time to assert himself offensively, but a lot of that is Keefe just doesn't use him as much as AHL vets. And he needs that time and trust next year, even if he's going to make mistakes (and he will, because he isn't a top pairing lock by any means).

He definitely has these moments -- especially on zone entries during a powerplay -- where it looks like he's going against his instincts to do what the coach wants, and he's just not good at it. He's our best D (other than Dermott, who is a Leaf) at skating the puck into/out of zones, and EVERY powerplay he gets to center and drops it back to the players behind him. Every time. Completely obvious, no hiding it. It's so predictable that it MUST be a coaching decision, and I hate it so much. The Stars just sit there waiting for it. Our PP is awful right now.

I know I'm going to age myself but watching him skate around in #7 reminded me of Rocky Saganiuk playing for the Leafs in the late 70's -80's. Rocky was a great player but he was all over the ice. LOL

Madic

May 21, 2008
I know I'm going to age myself but watching him skate around in #7 reminded me of Rocky Saganiuk playing for the Leafs in the late 70's -80's. Rocky was a great player but he was all over the ice. LOL
That's a bit before my time, but that's a fair assessment. Sometimes Liljegren will pinch all the way down the the boards, sometimes he'll float out like he WANTS to but remembers his coach has him on a reaaaaal tight leash...the only area he's really improved on that is physically engaging on the half wall. And he's still too small to do that all the time.

Reactions: Mitts888

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Lol at all the people!!

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Nope

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

What a bizarre post.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
He's a 18 year old playing meaningful games in the ahl final. he hasn't been a liability, he is developing nicely what he becomes is anyone's guess but to say he is a bust is daffy, the kid has done nothing but improve all year. has playing in a league with good prospects ahl allstars as well as some of the goons and has not looked out of place. I for one am extremely excited to see what he becomes in the next couple years.

barring a extreme developmental jump over the next year he will probably get a good look in camp in 2019. but there is a good reason to get excited
go back and look at how many teams wanted him during the draft day threads. from picks 9 -15 there was a lot of fans that saw potential but the hate the kid has received since the leafs drafted him is just petty at this point

ocrighton

Oct 23, 2008

Just because you say they're better, doesn't mean they're actually better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cotton

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Rielly is definitely a case of reputation not having caught up to performance, it's really really hard to look at how he did this year and try to find 20 defensemen who were better let alone 30. If he repeats his performance he'll be widely recognized as a solid #1 - fair to say that he should do it again before he gets the title, and fair to say that it would be good to see him do it in about 10% more icetime per game

I think it also gets forgotten that Rielly absolutely carries a partner who does not deserve to be on the top pairing. If Liljegren turns out as a top pairing player, look out for that pairing
Pretty much.

Untitled.jpg

The guy got buried against top competition in defensive situations while stapled to Ron Hainsey all season and still drove possession and racked up points.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
At worst he's a top-20 defenseman in the NHL. If he has another season like he did this year, he's pushing top-10.

There was an article posted on EditorinLeaf yesterday that said Rielly, Doughty and Hedman were the only three d-men in the entire league last season to score 50+ points, play against the top percentile of competition and have a positive possession rating. It boggles my mind how people still refuse to give Rielly credit for the d-man he's developed into.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Pretty much.

Untitled.jpg

The guy got buried against top competition in defensive situations while stapled to Ron Hainsey all season and still drove possession and racked up points.
I think there's a pretty good case to be made that Liljegren as the same tier of prospect that Rielly was a full year after their drafts. Him turning out as as good of a player would be such a godsend, pushes everyone else down to an appropriate role

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nice argument there.

I don’t like your post, therefore it is silly.

It's just funny because you cherrypick a statistic that so clearly doesn't even tell a story, and make a hyperbolic comment that ignores facts that Rielly was one of the best defenseman offensively and defensively in the NHL last season.

Dont worry, I get it. You hate the Leafs and hate that Rielly has turned a corner. Just spew the nonsense elsewhere. Its either that or just complete ignorance.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
25 of his 56 points came on the powerplay. Easy to produce big numbers on an offensively stacked team when you’re basically the only Dman who can run the PP.

Not saying he’s a bad Dman at all, he’s definitely a very good defenseman but certainly not top 25 in the league. Anyway, I’ll leave this thread to Leafs fans salivating to Liljegren, they’re coming at me hard anyway because they can’t accept what their team really is.

Well the numbers disagree with you on this. Pick whatever metric you like and most of them will show that he had an elite season. Even the eye test that people like to use so often against Gardiner can't be used with Rielly because he doesn't make those glaring mistakes that stand out. I don't really understand the logic with your attempt to downplay Rielly's offensive numbers because he scored a lot of PP points. Carlson, Burns, Hedman, Subban and a number of other elite d-men also scored a large percentage of their points on the PP. That's what star d-men do; they run a power play successfully and as a result rack up a lot of points.

Reactions: Raymoondo

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
There was an article posted on EditorinLeaf yesterday that said Rielly, Doughty and Hedman were the only three d-men in the entire league last season to score 50+ points, play against the top percentile of competition and have a positive possession rating. It boggles my mind how people still refuse to give Rielly credit for the d-man he's developed into.

This is interesting - and it is true for Rielly, but I wonder what metric they were using for quality of competition as I wouldn't include Hedman but would include Letang and Pietrangelo.

There were 19 D who reached 50 points last year. Yandle, Suter, Dumba, Gardiner, Carlson and Barrie did not have positive possession ratings (of those only Yandle (97) and Suter (91) played against really strong competition). Of the 13 D who remain, Rielly faced the highest competition (98th percentile according to the SKATR Comparison Tool) followed by Doughty (96), Letang (92), Pietrangelo (91), Josi (87) and then Hedman (86).

The others were Subban (77), Jones (69), Ghost (66), Klingberg (66), Karlsson (63), Burns (50) and Krug (50).

(I would also like to point out that Slavin, Hamilton, Giordano also faced very high percentile competition, with positive possession numbers, but did not reach 50 points, although they had more ES points than Rielly).

HC7

May 2, 2018
I see some people are trying to discredit future Norris winner Morgan Rielly. Let's get this back on track.

T-Minus 1 hour until our Lord and Saviour begins his first ever game 7 in hopes of bringing home Lord Calder's Cup.

Pettersson is probably eating a burger or something.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is interesting - and it is true for Rielly, but I wonder what metric they were using for quality of competition as I wouldn't include Hedman but would include Letang and Pietrangelo.

There were 19 D who reached 50 points last year. Yandle, Suter, Dumba, Gardiner, Carlson and Barrie did not have positive possession ratings (of those only Yandle (97) and Suter (91) played against really strong competition). Of the 13 D who remain, Rielly faced the highest competition (98th percentile according to the SKATR Comparison Tool) followed by Doughty (96), Letang (92), Pietrangelo (91), Josi (87) and then Hedman (86).

The others were Subban (77), Jones (69), Ghost (66), Klingberg (66), Karlsson (63), Burns (50) and Krug (50).

(I would also like to point out that Slavin, Hamilton, Giordano also faced very high percentile competition, with positive possession numbers, but did not reach 50 points, although they had more ES points than Rielly).
Yes, but outside of Hamilton, I can easily flip this by saying Slavin and Giordano had less 5v5 points. And I could also point out he played 6 less games than both of those guys, and the difference was small (1 point in both cases).

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yes, but outside of Hamilton, I can easily flip this by saying Slavin and Giordano had less 5v5 points. And I could also point out he played 6 less games than both of those guys, and the difference was small (1 point in both cases).

Sure. I was just pointing out that there were others who met 2 criteria and did well in the third criteria despite not reaching it (as I did for Yandle and Suter). Rielly didn't surpass the positive possession criteria by much and he didn't surpass the points criteria by much.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Liljegren has taken minutes from the veteran Holl at the end of the 2nd period. The puck is off his stick in a second and he's a huge part of the teams transition game. He's also been A1 defensively which is almost expected at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->