RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
No not a top 5 NHL number 1 defender, but a player that I would much rather have in my system as my top ranked D prospect than Olli Juolevi. What pick did you draft him again? Who were some of the other D you passed on in that draft? ;)
Obviously as a Leafs fan you're gonna prefer your own prospect over another team's lol. Explain why Liljegren was completely omitted from Craig Button's top 50 list while Juolevi is ranked 24th without the go-to "Button is an idiot." Keep in mind Button had Nylander #1 and Marner #6 a few years ago so he's not anti-Leafs as you guys like to say. If Liljegren is as good as you say he is shouldn't he have been able to crack the list?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Obviously as a Leafs fan you're gonna prefer your own prospect over another team's lol. Explain why Liljegren was completely omitted from Craig Button's top 50 list while Juolevi is ranked 24th without the go-to "Button is an idiot." Keep in mind Button had Nylander #1 and Marner #6 a few years ago so he's not anti-Leafs as you guys like to say. If Liljegren is as good as you say he is shouldn't he have been able to crack the list?

TBH, I don't think Button is a big fan of Liljegren. In the year Nylander was #1 and Marner was #6 it was hard to not rank them in the top 10. Every list produced had them usually top 5, but at the very least top 10. The last 2 years Button has not had a single Leaf ranked in his top 50, so ya I think there is a bit of anti-Leaf bias there. When you look at his list this year and last year where below it he lists the top 5 prospects for the Canadian teams, and who he had as our top 5, you wonder if he even has watched them this year.
You are cherry picking Button as your list, I could then say well Corey Pronman from the Athletic and ESPN has Liljegren at #13 and Juolevi at #33.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
TBH, I don't think Button is a big fan of Liljegren. In the year Nylander was #1 and Marner was #6 it was hard to not rank them in the top 10. Every list produced had them usually top 5, but at the very least top 10. The last 2 years Button has not had a single Leaf ranked in his top 50, so ya I think there is a bit of anti-Leaf bias there. When you look at his list this year and last year where below it he lists the top 5 prospects for the Canadian teams, and who he had as our top 5, you wonder if he even has watched them this year.
You are cherry picking Button as your list, I could then say well Corey Pronman from the Athletic and ESPN has Liljegren at #13 and Juolevi at #33.
Ah didn't see that. Stopped reading his list after he had Pettersson at 10th behind Strome :laugh:.

I realize these lists are highly subjective, was just pointing out that as a Leafs fan, you're always going to say you prefer your prospect to another team's so it really doesn't hold any weight.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Ah didn't see that. Stopped reading his list after he had Pettersson at 10th behind Strome :laugh:.

I realize these lists are highly subjective, was just pointing out that as a Leafs fan, you're always going to say you prefer your prospect to another team's so it really doesn't hold any weight.
Uhh wrong. I'm taking Juolevi over Liljegren every time.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Liljegren is looking like he needs two years of dev before the nhl.

Great prospect though, will be excited to see him in a leafs jersey in 2020!

Reactions: Fixxer
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Hilarious you guys can't fathom me being a Leafs fan just because I don't like Liljegren.

It doesn't help matters that your account was created mere days after the draft, after a certain canucks posters was laughed out of this thread...where were you before then telling us how bad he is? Because I don't remember a single Leaf fan who didn't want him at 17.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
It doesn't help matters that your account was created after the draft, where were you before then telling us how bad he is? Because I don't remember a single Leaf fan who didn't want him at 17.
I was stoked when we drafted him but had only seen his highlight reels so didn't have much to form an opinion on. Now I've watched hours and hours of his game and when I critique him it gets blown off cause I'm not a Leafs fan? What? Seems like it's just not something you guys want to hear. If you check my post history you can see there are games where he's impressed me quite a bit, just doesn't have any consistency.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Obviously as a Leafs fan you're gonna prefer your own prospect over another team's lol. Explain why Liljegren was completely omitted from Craig Button's top 50 list while Juolevi is ranked 24th without the go-to "Button is an idiot."

I don't know why anyone would have to come up with reasons for why someone who rarely sees prospects would rank them in a biased manner. The same goes for Pronman, who probably spends more time watching prospects than Button, but also at least lists his biases up front. And no I am not referring to biases for or against certain NHL teams for either, but biases that develop from very limited viewing and can not be overcome with subsequent very limited viewing.

For instance, I didn't agree with Pronman ranking Pettersson 10th, but I understand his reasons - he thinks he is too slow and has generally not played that well during limited games on NA ice. I also understand why Button will continue to rank Liljegren poorly. His early exposure to Liljegren was during his illness and injury period when he made risky plays and had a lot of turnovers. There is nothing Liljegren will ever be able to do as a prospect to alter Button's opinion, so who cares?

Most hockey fans spend considerably less time watching prospects, have massive biases in favor of their own teams' prospects, and have a tendency to only watch prospects they like.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

why are you trying to compare our dman that slid to us at 17OA with your guy the nucks took 5OA over much better players in Tkachuk,McAvoy,Keller,Sergachev, Chychrun?

Nylander at the time was absolutely ripping up the AHL like no teen had ever done, so yeah he was a pretty easy choice to be #1 with guys like ehlers,pastrnak,draisaitl and ekblad already in the NHL. one obvious choice doesnt make the guy a lock. Juolevi and Liljegren are close...but at 5OA the nuckls should have had a far superior player than the guy we took at 17 in a weaker draft.

run along now

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It doesn't help matters that your account was created mere days after the draft, after a certain canucks posters was laughed out of this thread...where were you before then telling us how bad he is? Because I don't remember a single Leaf fan who didn't want him at 17.
The closer it got to the Leafs pick and Liljegren was still on the board I was hoping they would select him.

I even remember when everyone thought the Leafs would have another high pick in 2017 and Liljegren was thought to maybe be a top 5 pick in the preseason rankings, Leafs fans wished they could select him. The fact they made the playoffs and selected him in the same calendar season made it even better.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Explain why Liljegren was completely omitted from Craig Button's top 50 list

It's fairly inexplicable, borderline indefensible, and 100% inconsistent. He held stronger on Timothy than many others and had him at 10 pre draft. Fast forward to February and despite Liljegren putting a lot of his demons to rest and rebounding in a huge way suddenly he's 22-23rd.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
It's fairly inexplicable, borderline indefensible, and 100% inconsistent. He held stronger on Timothy than many others and had him at 10 pre draft. Fast forward to February and despite Liljegren putting a lot of his demons to rest and rebounding in a huge way suddenly he's 22-23rd.

Button did flip flop on Liljegren after the Leafs drafted him. I recall listening to him on the radio (probably Leafs Lunch) before the draft, and he was saying something like no chance of Liljegren (and maybe Foote?) dropping to Toronto at 17...then after the Leafs drafted him he was saying he was drafted right where he was expected to.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The closer it got to the Leafs pick and Liljegren was still on the board I was hoping they would select him.

I even remember when everyone thought the Leafs would have another high pick in 2017 and Liljegren was thought to maybe be a top 5 pick in the preseason rankings, Leafs fans wished they could select him. The fact they made the playoffs and selected him in the same calendar season made it even better.

Yup, like very many other Leaf fans, he was my target all season long as well.

Rasanen was my target for our 2nd rounder as well. This was the first time the Leafs took "my guy" with their first two picks, and I've been following the draft since 1990. Yes, it's no coincidence that I was targeting RHD.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Button did flip flop on Liljegren after the Leafs drafted him. I recall listening to him on the radio (probably Leafs Lunch) before the draft, and he was saying something like no chance of Liljegren (and maybe Foote?) dropping to Toronto at 17...then after the Leafs drafted him he was saying he was drafted right where he was expected to.
I happened to find his final draft rankings list and he had Liljegren at #10.

Craig's List - Final Ranking - Article - TSN

Reactions: Sundinisagod

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I happened to find his final draft rankings list and he had Liljegren at #10.

Craig's List - Final Ranking - Article - TSN
Lol.
But he has no Leaf bias.

June 7th: He has him ranked 10th.
June 20th-22nd (somewhere around there): On Leafs Lunch there is no way he make it to Toronto at 17
June 23rd: Just selected by Toronto, he went where he should of.
Summer Showcase: Downplayed him and criticized him every chance he had, despite having played very well.
Spring Top 50 prospects list: Not even ranked (even though he has dispelled pre-draft worries and criticisms all season long with solid play.

Button is not very good at being impartial and objective.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

I think the flip flop might have more to do with who didn't draft him at 16 than who did at 17

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I do love how non-Leaf fans are so concerned with Liljegren. Thank you for that. Your concern is appreciated.

That's because they want to see everything Toronto related fail, and rightfully so. Toronto fans misery is extremely fulfilling. We got to witness that sorry franchise fail for years. Unfortunately, it looks as if the tides are beginning to turn, and the Leafs may be a real threat in the near future.

Hopefully, the winds shift again causing Toronto to plummet back down to what ever black hole they came from. Matthews signs with Arizona, Timothy flops, Rielly regresses, Marner turns vegan and gives up the sport of hockey, Nylander joins his brother in Rochester, and Babcock realizes how tainted his legacy has become since he signed with the Leafs and quits the NHL all together.

The fans of Toronto riot, and burn their city to the ground. The entire world rejoices. Drake doesn't rap about being from the 6 anymore. All memories of that wretched city are forgotten.

A man can dream can't he? That's all I got left as a Sabres fan.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
That's because they want to see everything Toronto related fail, and rightfully so. Toronto fans misery is extremely fulfilling. We got to witness that sorry franchise fail for years. Unfortunately, it looks as if the tides are beginning to turn, and the Leafs may be a real threat in the near future.

Hopefully, the winds shift again causing Toronto to plummet back down to what ever black hole they came from. Matthews signs with Arizona, Timothy flops, Rielly regresses, Marner turns vegan and gives up the sport of hockey, Nylander joins his brother in Rochester, and Babcock realizes how tainted his legacy has become since he signed with the Leafs and quits the NHL all together.

The fans of Toronto riot, and burn their city to the ground. The entire world rejoices. Drake doesn't rap about being from the 6 anymore. All memories of that wretched city are forgotten.

A man can dream can't he? That's all I got left as a Sabres fan.
Don't forget the Raps or Jays ..

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol.
But he has no Leaf bias.

June 7th: He has him ranked 10th.
June 20th-22nd (somewhere around there): On Leafs Lunch there is no way he make it to Toronto at 17
June 23rd: Just selected by Toronto, he went where he should of.
Summer Showcase: Downplayed him and criticized him every chance he had, despite having played very well.
Spring Top 50 prospects list: Not even ranked (even though he has dispelled pre-draft worries and criticisms all season long with solid play.

Button is not very good at being impartial and objective.
Even before all of this Button is the only personality at TSN who I never liked.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Lol.
even though he has dispelled pre-draft worries and criticisms all season long with solid play.
Has he?

6 points in his last 20 games.

That is very close to the production he's had in the SHL the last 2 seasons (5 points in 19 games).

He's still young and he's had to transition to small ice, but nonetheless I can't help but feel his progress is pretty stagnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad