Speculation: RBT: Part XXX: NYR December = Santa Claus or Satans Claws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
McDonagh-EJohnson would be a premier pairing.

EJ is a solid player and mostly a byproduct of mediocre coaching.

It will be interesting to see him in NY.

Cap Wise it might be tough to work out, but I'd consider moving Zibby for him if Hayes plays better and better.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Cap Wise it might be tough to work out, but I'd consider moving Zibby for him if Hayes plays better and better.

And another former 1st overall pick playing for the Rangers.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Zibanejad for Erik Johnson?

Um. How do I put this.

No.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Both Barrie and Shattenkirk would be redundant. Both are offensive RHD's with significant holes in their defensive games.

The issue with trading for a RHD becomes who the team protects in the expansion draft. Staal and Girardi are automatics. McDonagh fills the final spot. How are the Rangers getting Girardi to waive his no move before the expansion draft without buying him out?

Shattenkirk is most likely and should be the plan on July 1st.

Why would Girardi enforce his NMC in the waiver draft? What do I know, but I can't see any reason for why he wouldn't waive... Heck, I wonder if Staal might not waive too. But what do I know.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean I really like EJ, but he just got that new contract and broke his leg. If he gets back healthy, I'd make a move for him, but not for Stepan.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern's love for Kreider and hatred for Stepan is ****ing hilarious.

Have a laugh on me, then
But I stand by what I said, and in the end I am confident Miller will not disappoint as our top C.

Um. How do I put this.

No.

Yeah, concur.

We needed a power C, we just got one, we don't trade him for EJ.

Not seeing a match given reality of cap and exp draft and existing protection slots held by McD, Staal and Girardi leaving little flexibility

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't move anything of real value for Erik Johnson.

He's not a bad player, but he's not exactly a good player either. He grows on trees.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I don't thnk Ruff is fond of Klingberg in Dallas as you would not expect a guy like that to be a healthy scratch for a few times this year. Wonder what the price would be if they fell out of it? I would guess it would be too steep but dang.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed. To me, this is the order in which I'd rank them:

1. Nash
2. Stepan
3. Zibanejad
4. Zuccarello
5. Hayes
6. Kreider
7. Miller
8. Buchnevich
9. Vesey

1. Nash
2. Stepan
3. Zibanejad
4. Kreider
5. Miller
6. Hayes
7. Zuccarello
8. Vesey

I'd have it like this. I think 1-7 is very close. All are #3 or 4 forwards, but none are really star forwards. The drop off is when you get to Vesey. Probably around a #6 forward. I don't want to rank Buchnevich because he's only played 10 games. If he plays like he did in those ten games for the whole season, I think he's our best forward, but its 10 games. We don't know how he'd do over a full season. I want to at least see close to half a season of him play before I say where he ranks compared to our other forwards.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why would Girardi enforce his NMC in the waiver draft? What do I know, but I can't see any reason for why he wouldn't waive... Heck, I wonder if Staal might not waive too. But what do I know.

I brought this up a few months ago. If they knew they'd stay with the Rangers, why wouldn't they waive?

You don't ask them to waive to keep Kevin Klein, but if its Jacob Trouba or Kevin Shattenkirk, you try to figure something out.

If for some reason this situation comes up where the spot is needed for a really good defenseman, you ask one of them to waive, you work out a deal with Vegas where they aren't taken, maybe its a 7th in a few years or something like that, and problem solved.

Las Vegas wouldn't take either to spite the Rangers. They'd take either if they wanted them on their team. No way McPhee would ruin a relationship with a fellow GM that quickly over Girardi or Staal. If the Rangers were stupid and tried to expose McDonagh, make a deal that he's not taken, maybe McPhee considers the pros and cons of going back on the deal and ruining a relationship with Gorton, but I highly doubt he'd ruin that relationship for anything less than an all star caliber player like McDonagh.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Dan Girardi to Sin City.

Kevin Shattenkirk as Free Agent.

Lindberg for Antoine Roussel.

Shed a galactic anchor. Get a bonafide RHD. Get a gritty forward who fights and hits and goes to the net but also has some skill and scoring for a playoff run.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Has Trouba been as bad as his stats suggest?

I saw Trouba live when I was in Carolina. He really stood out to me in a good way. He obviously isn't in the best form right now due to his hold out. He was one of the best players on the ice and he is huge. Would be my top target along with Tanev.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
1. Nash
2. Stepan
3. Zibanejad
4. Kreider
5. Miller
6. Hayes
7. Zuccarello
8. Vesey

I'd have it like this. I think 1-7 is very close. All are #3 or 4 forwards, but none are really star forwards. The drop off is when you get to Vesey. Probably around a #6 forward. I don't want to rank Buchnevich because he's only played 10 games. If he plays like he did in those ten games for the whole season, I think he's our best forward, but its 10 games. We don't know how he'd do over a full season. I want to at least see close to half a season of him play before I say where he ranks compared to our other forwards.

What? I love the kid, but cool down. He's not the best forward on the team, not even playing as well as he was.

Nash is still the best forward on this team as he has been ever since we acquired him. The only person on this rankings that Biuchnevich would be ranked over is Vesey.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'll lend my 2 cents to this whole ranking thing.

Nash
Zuccarello
Kreider
Zibanejad
Stepan
Hayes
Vesey
Miller
Grabner
Fast
Pirri
Lindberg

Others TBD

- People know I don't rate Miller as high as most others, I think he'll have 1 or 2 seasons of Dubi-like production and then turn into a good 3rd line grinder for the majority of his career. In fact Dubi, for me, had more skill overall.

-Zuccarello has had a rough stretch but his vision and playmaking are still on a while other level from anyone else on this team.

-Stepan is tough to rate because his game is 100% cerebral. He is living proof that you don't need much athletic ability to survive in the modern game if you are clever enough.

-Pirri pisses me off.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
What? I love the kid, but cool down. He's not the best forward on the team, not even playing as well as he was.

Nash is still the best forward on this team as he has been ever since we acquired him. The only person on this rankings that Biuchnevich would be ranked over is Vesey.

I'd probably rank Buch over Vesey.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
And another former 1st overall pick playing for the Rangers.

Um. How do I put this.

No.

My thoughts too.

I would. Scarcity of the commodity, Zibby while has all the tools needs to show up for every game and force goalies to make a save.

He's an in and out player in his career thus far and had yet to prove to be a real deal star. Tools are there, consistency and drive are not so far.

Maybe he leans out and gets fit with the injury.

EJ, while not my favorite top pair option, is a premier player in that role. If you look at the Metro... CLB and PIT are here to stay. PHI is very streaky, but they're a few moves from becoming a real deal.

You can see WSH declining, they have depth issues on the backend. Holtby not playing like a poor man's Price this year.

The Rangers are vulnerable next year and beyond unless they identify player that can really dominate some of their top end minutes.

CLB has a franchise D in Werenski. Jones. Murray. Savard. Johnson. Gabriel Carlson is a legit player too that will play for them. Size and puck movement.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Erik Johnson is not that player. And trading Zibanejad easily makes us a worse team. I wouldn't trade any of our centers unless another young, high end center is coming back.

Also, I don't see how you can declare Zibanejad as an "in and out" player when his point totals have improved every year. He's consistently getting better. I don't see him being a franchise, superstar C like Kopitar, Crosby, or Giroux, but I could easily see him becoming a very good 60-70 point 1C. Oh yeah, and he's big, fast, skilled, right handed, and excellent on faceoffs.

We just stole him from Ottawa. Wanting to trade him for Erik Johnson is ass backwards and mind boggling, IMO.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Erik Johnson is not that player. And trading Zibanejad easily makes us a worse team. I wouldn't trade any of our centers unless another young, high end center is coming back.

Also, I don't see how you can declare Zibanejad as an "in and out" player when his point totals have improved every year. He's consistently getting better. I don't see him being a franchise, superstar C like Kopitar, Crosby, or Giroux, but I could easily see him becoming a very good 60-70 point 1C. Oh yeah, and he's big, fast, skilled, right handed, and excellent on faceoffs.

We just stole him from Ottawa. Wanting to trade him for Erik Johnson is ass backwards and mind boggling, IMO.

Fair enough, EJ is not a premier player but until proven otherwise Zibbs needs to earn my respect as an everyday player.

I'm not one to lollygag on the upshot he can bring. I'm more attuned to what he does bring.

BTW what was your former name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad