Speculation: RBT: Part XXX: NYR December = Santa Claus or Satans Claws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He remains approx 20th best 1C approx, but like it or not, kick and scream if you must, but truth be told, JT has supplanted him. Miller has better physical tools, by substantial amount, and is significantly cheaper and cost efficiency is an issue. And of course there is the ? of what does he earn into next season if he stays - NMC? NTC?; just sell high and be done with it.

I don't like Miller's destiny is at center. He has been much better at wing in my opinion. He can fill in at C in a pinch, but I wouldn't view him as a C anymore.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That's because Miller isn't a C. He sucks at it at the NHL level.

Fun fact: Derek Stepan is 4th in the NHL at GF% over the last 8 years, so maybe we should start showing the guy some respect?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Big question is, how likely would the Avs be to even trade a Defenseman? Johnson is out with a broken leg I believe.

Unless a Dman went in return?

Are they looking for shot supressing dmen? Klein would probably have to go the other way, and I'd assume they'd be looking for either a pick and/or a prospect... that team needs to retool

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Are they looking for shot supressing dmen? Klein would probably have to go the other way, and I'd assume they'd be looking for either a pick and/or a prospect... that team needs to retool

lol.

Shot Supression Defenseman
Kevin Klein

choose only one.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
lol.

Shot Supression Defenseman
Kevin Klein

choose only one.

Staal is an option but i don't know if they want to pay for that.

Considering how atrocious their defense is, Klein would probably be a big boost. But then again that goes against a retool altogether...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Considering how atrocious their defense is, Klein would probably be a big boost. But then again that goes against a retool altogether...

Staal has a NMC and wouldn't waive it to go to a team whose season is likely over and about to make big changes. Doubt Colorado would even want him.

We're trading Klein+ for Barrie? I don't see why Colorado considers it, Klein is in his 30's and is hardly a top4D. Would he really do that much for them?

The Av's might be having a firesale in the near future, but their not gonna throw guys away either.

I honestly don't see a market for any defenseman that can really improve this team.

Even then, what do we do with Girardi? Can't send him down unless he waives. His 5.5 would stil count against the cap. I think were stuck with what we got until expansion and offseason sadly.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Both Barrie and Shattenkirk would be redundant. Both are offensive RHD's with significant holes in their defensive games.

The issue with trading for a RHD becomes who the team protects in the expansion draft. Staal and Girardi are automatics. McDonagh fills the final spot. How are the Rangers getting Girardi to waive his no move before the expansion draft without buying him out?

Shattenkirk is most likely and should be the plan on July 1st.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Both Barrie and Shattenkirk would be redundant. Both are offensive RHD's with significant holes in their defensive games.

The issue with trading for a RHD becomes who the team protects in the expansion draft. Staal and Girardi are automatics. McDonagh fills the final spot. How are the Rangers getting Girardi to waive his no move before the expansion draft without buying him out?

Shattenkirk is most likely and should be the plan on July 1st.

Are you saying Shattenkirk and Barrie are worse defensively than Klein and Girardi?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Fun fact: Derek Stepan is 4th in the NHL at GF% over the last 8 years, so maybe we should start showing the guy some respect?

Love Stepan, counterpoint: He plays in front of Lundqvist.

Who are the other top-5/10 centers in this metric?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Are you saying Shattenkirk and Barrie are worse defensively than Klein and Girardi?

In terms of defensive ability in traits such as positioning, gap control, and stick checking, then yes.

In terms of transitioning the puck and making an outlet pass, Shattenkirk and Barrie are much better.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Love Stepan, counterpoint: He plays in front of Lundqvist.

Who are the other top-5/10 centers in this metric?

I mean it's over eight years. Stepan is insane and suppressing goals against, but here's the order:

H. Sedin, Stepan, Crosby, Datsyuk, Toews, Krejci, Jumbo, Bergeron, Pavelski, Kopitar, Seguin

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Big question is, how likely would the Avs be to even trade a Defenseman? Johnson is out with a broken leg I believe.

Unless a Dman went in return?

Not sure about the rest of it, but I see Klein able to be moved if the price is right.

Concur, except Klein is still young enough and cheap enough to fit into short term plans. They won't want Staal, and he won't go there.

I get the feeling that if we bribe Chicago sufficiently, which could be a matter of cap and not much else, we can induce a relocation of Staal that he will approve and they will accept. Not sure EXACTLY what that should be just yet.

Miller may be mature enough game sense-wise for center now, but if his prior showings at the position are any indication, the wing is where he should be stapled. Said it before and I'll say it again, it's not coincidence we've seen him improve leaps and bounds when he was moved away from center.

setting aside dat was den and dis is now:laugh:
Constant juggling/experimenting of lines/different linemates did not help

also, my suggestion was unless a MacKinnon type falls into our laps, he stay with Kreider and Zib. That is a talent upgrade in most cases, and Miller will show better results with better linemates

I don't like Miller's destiny is at center. He has been much better at wing in my opinion. He can fill in at C in a pinch, but I wouldn't view him as a C anymore.

we agree to disagree here.
however, let me emphasize I believe best use of JT here is as a C on THIS line.
If the roster changes, I am open minded to see if he is a better fit there as a W.

:laugh: Holy **** you can't be serious. Miller has SUPPLANTED Stepan at center? Based on what? The couple of games I saw Miller play at C this season he sucked.

Holy or unholy in this case, regular or effin brand **** , I am serious.
If you agree that Kreider and Zib are the two best forwards we have who should be our first line, and if you further acknowledge Zib is a righty shot who can handle RW, then that IS your first line and JT IS its pivot.

respect, sure, but let's not overrate him.
He is approx 20th best, but not able to contain the bigger guys.

If we want to change that equation, we need a more physically dominant guy to neutralize opposition.

Until a better option emerges, I'd love to retain him as 2 or 3 C depending on if you agree or not to 2nd line of Grabner-Hayes-Vesey; however cap reality and his 6.5 hit don't make long term retaining feasible.

also your characterization IMO is wrong Miller does not SUCK as a C.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If you agree that Kreider and Zib are the two best forwards we have who should be our first line, and if you further acknowledge Zib is a righty shot who can handle RW, then that IS your first line and JT IS its pivot.

I don't agree. Nash has been the best forward this year. Real hockey isn't like NHL 17, you can't just plug the most talented forwards in at any position and have it work. Chemistry and positional knowledge/skill play a big part. FACT: Miller has yet to show he can be a successful center in the NHL.

I love Miller and I think he's a top 6 wing for years to come, hopefully on this team, but a center he is not.

Face it bern, this is all just crap you are throwing at the wall to further your "Trade Stepan" agenda.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yes he does.

There is no evidence, oberstational or stastical, for Miller being good at center at the NHL level. Same goes for Stepan not being able to "handle" "bigger" centers. I hate these stupid tropes.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There's no way I put Kreider and Zibs as our two best forwards. Nash & Stepan before those two.

Agreed. To me, this is the order in which I'd rank them:

1. Nash
2. Stepan
3. Zibanejad
4. Zuccarello
5. Hayes
6. Kreider
7. Miller
8. Buchnevich
9. Vesey

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Agreed. To me, this is the order in which I'd rank them:

1. Nash
2. Stepan
3. Zibanejad
4. Zuccarello
5. Hayes
6. Kreider
7. Miller
8. Buchnevich
9. Vesey

I'd have Miller 5th and then everyone else slides in the order you have it.

Good list.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bern's love for Kreider and hatred for Stepan is ****ing hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad