Rumor: Rasmus Sandin negotiations "going nowhere"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lol agree. He is basically our #7 dman and everyone acting like it's the end of the world.

In fairness it wasn't that long ago that whenever the summer "predictions" threads or "where do each team's defense corps" threads popped up, quite a few Leaf fans who posted in those threads would list Sandin among the "top 4 D" on the roster.

So there's going to be discussion about how a player who was supposedly already good enough to be a top 4 defenseman is now just seen as no big deal or as a 7th defenseman who won't missed.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Makes no sense for a rebuilding team to retain for multiple years and block that retention slot.
If they retain on Kane and Toews they can't even retain on Kerfoot to sell him.
Teams are permitted 3 retention slots.
I could be wrong but I thought all if Chicago’s ended.
So the Dman (Murphy?) Kane and Toews were my choices to fill them.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I know you’re a Hawk fan. Why do you think this helps Chicago?
Both Leaf players do nothing for the Hawks. Kerfoot is meh with a huge cap number.
Chicago has a bunch of Sandin’s on the way.

I’d give them Entwistle and a Dman (retained)
For Holl and a 1st.
They can add Kerfoot for cap purposes. But that shouldn’t cost Chicago anything. If he has so much value Toronto can trade him to team xx for a 3rd then do this trade.
Sandin is quite a good prospect /young player and Kerfoot is a 50 pt player making peanuts in real dollars ( think 750 k ) so those combined should have some value . The 2 d offered likely wouldn't be attractive to Toronto either . Not McCabe anyway given the Leafs have 3 or 4 on that side that would play ahead of him . How much better Murphy is than Holl is up for debate, but maybe that's a possibility

In fairness it wasn't that long ago that whenever the summer "predictions" threads or "where do each team's defense corps" threads popped up, quite a few Leaf fans who posted in those threads would list Sandin among the "top 4 D" on the roster.

So there's going to be discussion about how a player who was supposedly already good enough to be a top 4 defenseman is now just seen as no big deal or as a 7th defenseman who won't missed.
He still could a top 4 D . Nothing has changed . He'll get signed and still have a bright future....if he can get over the skating weakness. That's the main limitation.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Both Leaf players do nothing for the Hawks. Kerfoot is meh with a huge cap number.

For Holl and a 1st.
They can add Kerfoot for cap purposes. But that shouldn’t cost Chicago anything. If he has so much value Toronto can trade him to team xx for a 3rd then do this trade.
Only on hf is $3.5m cap hit for a 40-50 point middle 6 forward a "huge cap hit"

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Only on hf is $3.5m cap hit for a 40-50 point middle 6 forward a "huge cap hit"
First off, Chicago would attempt to weaponize their cap. That means taking cap dumps with assets to make it worth it.
Second, Kerfoot coattailed his way to 47 points. He is not really a 2nd line fit on a good team.
Third, Chicago doesn’t need him included but the Leafs can’t make the move unless Kerfoot is gone. That by definition is a cap dump.

I wrote earlier, you think he has value? Move him to team xx for a 3rd and a 5th.
Send the 5th to team yy to eat 50% of Kane (after the Hawks eat 50%) the team yy is only eating about 700k now or about 175k at the deadline.
Send Chicago 23, and either the 24 or 25 1sts. A 2nd, a 3rd, Holl and an old 4th liner your choice).
Chicago sends Kane, Stillman (younger, cheaper and better than Holl) and Entwistle (good PK and 4th liner, certainly better than the old deadwood Dubas has been trying).

Toronto gains Kane, Stillman Entwistle and about a million in cap space. Has two lines of near generational offense, is tougher to play against … you know, when it matters.

If the Leafs don’t win a cup in this window you might as well bring back Harold Ballard and hang a picture of the queen because it will take a long time to get back.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
First off, Chicago would attempt to weaponize their cap. That means taking cap dumps with assets to make it worth it.
Second, Kerfoot coattailed his way to 47 points. He is not really a 2nd line fit on a good team.
Third, Chicago doesn’t need him included but the Leafs can’t make the move unless Kerfoot is gone. That by definition is a cap dump.

I wrote earlier, you think he has value? Move him to team xx for a 3rd and a 5th.
Send the 5th to team yy to eat 50% of Kane (after the Hawks eat 50%) the team yy is only eating about 700k now or about 175k at the deadline.
Send Chicago 23, and either the 24 or 25 1sts. A 2nd, a 3rd, Holl and an old 4th liner your choice).
Chicago sends Kane, Stillman (younger, cheaper and better than Holl) and Entwistle (good PK and 4th liner, certainly better than the old deadwood Dubas has been trying).

Toronto gains Kane, Stillman Entwistle and about a million in cap space. Has two lines of near generational offense, is tougher to play against … you know, when it matters.

If the Leafs don’t win a cup in this window you might as well bring back Harold Ballard and hang a picture of the queen because it will take a long time to get back.
A middle 6 forwards points are affected by their use and linemates, big shock... You could say that about most players, I don't know why that always has to be an excuse to knock kerfoot specifically. I would hardly even say he "coattailed" his points considering he virtually got no power play time. He's just simply not a second line player on a good team because... Reasons. The fact is, he's played 5 seasons for two teams and has put up 40+ points in 3 of the 5 including a 51 point season in his most recent year and yet he's labeled a sub 40 point player despite the fact that his career ppg average is roughly 45pts/season. I don't care about what his value is in the current market and what Chicago would likely expect in a deal for kerfoot cause that's completely irrelevant to anything I said. I only pointed out that you claimed his cap hit was huge which is kind of an absurd claim.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

For Holl and a 1st.

Kerfoot is on an expiring contract.
Hawks trade him at the TDL for a pick or two.

You can never have too many D prospects. They take a while to develop.
I'd love to have Sandin in the Hawks system.

Hawks have 0 retention slots filled right now.
Murphy would be 4 years of 1 slot filled.
or
McCabe would be 3 years of 1 slot filled.

That still leaves them room to retain on Toews and Kane this season.
Both of them expire after this season so the Hawks are still only at 1/3 for the near future.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Kerfoot is on an expiring contract.
Hawks trade him at the TDL for a pick or two.

You can never have too many D prospects. They take a while to develop.
I'd love to have Sandin in the Hawks system.

Hawks have 0 retention slots filled right now.
Murphy would be 4 years of 1 slot filled.
or
McCabe would be 3 years of 1 slot filled.

That still leaves them room to retain on Toews and Kane this season.
Both of them expire after this season so the Hawks are still only at 1/3 for the near future.
They have been openly trying to move Kerfoot. Many middling and lower teams can fit his 3.5 and he’s only owed 750k in real dollars yet there he sits. Keeping Dubas from making better additions.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They have been openly trying to move Kerfoot. Many middling and lower teams can fit his 3.5 and he’s only owed 750k in real dollars yet there he sits. Keeping Dubas from making better additions.
Who has been openly trying to o move Kerfoot? Fans on the board? On Twitter? Media personalities? We have not heard anything about Kerfoot from the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad