Rumor: Rasmus Sandin negotiations "going nowhere"

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If he can play the right side I could see a Dickinson Sandin swap working out for both teams

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And Dermott was given ample opportunity, including time in the Leafs top 4 to show what he can do. The suggestion that Dermott was developmentally hindered by lack of opportunity doesn't line up with what actually happened with him in Toronto.

There's nothing suggesting they also won't do the same for Sandin when he eventually signs an extension
Sandin didn't get any chances last year?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He played in 51 games until he was injured. He didn't come off the IR until early May, but didn't get into any playoff games.
He played in every regular season game he was healthy for, as I recall. Averaged 17 minutes a game. Was sidelined with a knee injury in December and then another knee injury in March. Was healthy for the playoffs and not put into any playoff games.

I think narratives about him not being given opportunities are nonsense. He was a roster regular for an entire year.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
In all fairness, it was not too long ago when everyone thought he’d eventually surpass Rielly as our top D
I sure as shit didn't, and neither did anyone else that was looking at the situation objectively.

I'm not intending to dump the following thought on you specifically, but...this site has projected generalizations onto fanbases for many years. I mean, take one look at the Leafs board and you're going to see people constantly arguing. I first posted on the Leafs board in 2005 and even moderated it at one point, I can attest to the board being that way at least since that time. There is no single Leaf fan voice, or Canadiens fan voice, or anything like that. Fanbases are not monolithic entities and should not be treated as such. Hating a team because of a general fanbase is one thing, but projecting some general fanbase opinion (whatever it is) upon a single member of that fanbase was, is and will forever be horseshit.

Last edited:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The Leafs just aren't at a point where they can baby a player through his development curve. Maybe some teams would gift Sandin a bigger opportunity. But Toronto wants to win now, and if that mandate makes it harder for a prospect to hit his NHL stride, then so be it. That's why Sandin is struggling to find an NHL groove, and that's why he seems unhappy with his current role.

This should be a surprise to no one, as it's exactly what just happened to Travis Dermott. Except he didn't complain when he got lowballed as an RFA.

What’s wrong with a guy coming in over-ready as opposed to learning on the job anyway?

If there are 3 better LD on the team, that seems like a you problem if you want playing time. Beat one of them out for a job, you’re a professional you’ve presumably been doing this your whole life, proving yourself. Do it again!

I’d love to see Sandin in a regular role on this team, but he’s gotta be better than the rest to get there.

The only way a player would quit trying to make this team so they could go to a weaker team is because they don’t think they can do it or that they feel entitled to a spot because they believe they are already better than someone ahead of them.

I don’t like either of those head spaces

Reactions: banks

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Kerfoot and Sandin

for

Either Connor Murphy or Jake McCabe with 25% retention.
I know you’re a Hawk fan. Why do you think this helps Chicago?
Both Leaf players do nothing for the Hawks. Kerfoot is meh with a huge cap number.
Chicago has a bunch of Sandin’s on the way.

I’d give them Entwistle and a Dman (retained)
For Holl and a 1st.
They can add Kerfoot for cap purposes. But that shouldn’t cost Chicago anything. If he has so much value Toronto can trade him to team xx for a 3rd then do this trade.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
He played in every regular season game he was healthy for, as I recall. Averaged 17 minutes a game. Was sidelined with a knee injury in December and then another knee injury in March. Was healthy for the playoffs and not put into any playoff games.

I think narratives about him not being given opportunities are nonsense. He was a roster regular for an entire year.
And he played well getting regular ice time prior to the injury.
Came back and now if he wants to see the ice it will be on his off side.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I know you’re a Hawk fan. Why do you think this helps Chicago?
Both Leaf players do nothing for the Hawks. Kerfoot is meh with a huge cap number.
Chicago has a bunch of Sandin’s on the way.

I’d give them Entwistle and a Dman (retained)
For Holl and a 1st.
They can add Kerfoot for cap purposes. But that shouldn’t cost Chicago anything. If he has so much value Toronto can trade him to team xx for a 3rd then do this trade.
Makes no sense for a rebuilding team to retain for multiple years and block that retention slot.
If they retain on Kane and Toews they can't even retain on Kerfoot to sell him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad