Rumor: Rasmus Sandin negotiations "going nowhere"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Sandin just has not developed like we think he might have. I was high on him just as much as I was with Romanov but he's just not strong in his own end and his points generated is bloated due to the high offensive team the Leafs have.

Lily is a better defensive option vs Sandin at this point in time. If Sandin's agent is looking at his points only, he's out of line and I'm on the Leafs side with this one. There has been a decent sample size of Sandin being a liability in his own end and the Leafs have given him plenty of optertunity to develop in that area.

Offensive style D who can't be trusted in their own end need a reality check. Sandin is not the only one in the NHL like that.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His fancy charts are pretty good and he’s definitely skilled - I’m not sure I’d call his output bloated, he’s got slick skills - but I’d agree that I have some issues projecting him into a prime time role anytime soon and there’s some risk with him. I think Liljegren had clearly separated himself as a superior player and more comfortable to project into a higher role in the future by season’s end.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Sandin just has not developed like we think he might have. I was high on him just as much as I was with Romanov but he's just not strong in his own end and his points generated is bloated due to the high offensive team the Leafs have.

Lily is a better defensive option vs Sandin at this point in time. If Sandin's agent is looking at his points only, he's out of line and I'm on the Leafs side with this one. There has been a decent sample size of Sandin being a liability in his own end and the Leafs have given him plenty of optertunity to develop in that area.

Offensive style D who can't be trusted in their own end need a reality check. Sandin is not the only one in the NHL like that.
He thinks he's an NHL level defenceman and he's buried by depth and being offered less than he perceives his services to be worth. What's his incentive to accept whatever will fit for the Leaf's cap?

He sits 4th on the Leaf's depth chart in terms of LD, so taking a low salary won't even ensure him NHL playing time, which is the main thing he needs to increase his long-term earning potential.

If he thinks there's a potential to earn a bit more than the Leafs can stomach from another team, and that he could get an offer sheet as teams finalize their rosters at training camp, he has no real incentive to cave.

Reactions: binop7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He thinks he's an NHL level defenceman and he's buried by depth and being offered less than he perceives his services to be worth. What's his incentive to accept whatever will fit for the Leaf's cap?

He sits 4th on the Leaf's depth chart in terms of LD, so taking a low salary won't even ensure him NHL playing time, which is the main thing he needs to increase his long-term earning potential.

If he thinks there's a potential to earn a bit more than the Leafs can stomach from another team, and that he could get an offer sheet as teams finalize their rosters at training camp, he has no real incentive to cave.

He had his shot to earn a higher role over and over again though. It's not the Leafs problem at this point in time cause they gave him plenty of optertunity and forced their hand to go get other improvements.

Force a trade? Possible. I don't think the Leafs miss much if they trade him for a 2nd rounder and B prospect. Leafs don't need an offensive D man. They need guys who can actually play D. It's a business and Sandin was not blocked from earning a higher role over the last two seasons. With some injuries down the stretch last season, he got a real shot and struggled in the D zone. I watch a fair amount of Leafs games too

Reactions: ER89 and TML1990

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
He has 88 NHL games under his belt. He doesn’t really have leverage here. His best bet is to sign a 1 year deal, play full time in the NHL this year, and then look to cash in a bit

Reactions: YP44

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cool....

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Giordano Liljegren
Benn

Oettinger and Robertson still to be signed. Lol.
Way different situations. Sandin for a 3rd round pick as compensation for a team that wants some youth and potential PP talent is very digestible. Detroit would be a nice fit off the top of my head.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
His agent should be pounding the streets looking for a 1.5-2M offer sheet.
Offer sheet time.

Probably not too many teams who are in position to make an offer sheet.

Teams with 1.5+ mil in cap space: Los Angeles, Nashville, Calgary, Colorado, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Chicago, Ottawa, Detroit, Dallas, NY Islanders, Anaheim, Buffalo, Arizona.

1.5-2 mil offer sheet requires a 3rd rounder as compensation. Scratch Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, and Ottawa off.

LA: Still need to re-sign Mikey Anderson and Sean Durzi
Nashville: no need for another LD
Winnipeg: probably set at LD
Chicago: seemingly unlikely to be a buyer
NYI: probably need to ship off cap space to fit in Kadri
Anaheim: probably not a fit
Arizona: seemingly unlikely to be a buyer

Which leaves us with Detroit, but they have 7 guys signed to one way deals plus Moritz Seider. Then possibly Simon Edvinsson challenging for a roster spot at some point this season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Feel bad for Sandin that he’s being lowballed cause of all the geezer Pajama boy contracts and the greed of the Big 4 setting the market unfairly low for depth adds in Toronto. He would be smart to request a trade out and get his true value somewhere else, maybe somewhere that can win a round.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Don't know why they want to keep him in the first place. Writing was on the wall the second they extended Giordano. Rielly, Muzzin & Giordano are all better LD signed for the next two years. Dermott 2.0 situation.
Valid point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad