Rumor: Rasmus Sandin negotiations "going nowhere"

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Leafs aren't in any desperate situation with Sandin. They already have a pretty solid top-six. No other team is going to offer sheet Sandin for what he thinks he's worth. He has no arbitration rights.

The Leafs offered him the same deal as Liljegren. He can accept it or sit out the season. If he wants to be an NHLer and get an NHL pay day, sitting out the season surely won't be good leverage for that.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Or, ya know, just the guy that's made out to be a scapegoat undeservedly among the Leafs fanbase.

I think both of you are correct. Holl is not solid, but he shouldn't be getting the lion share of the blame. Muzzin deserves more. Liljegren and Sandin are not as good as Leafs fans hoped. They need to change half of their blueline.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
any word on what his asking price is? and what the team have offered him? I feel like at most he gets what Liljegren did. if he has to sit the season then he has to sit the season, cant over pay.
I like Sandin and all but in the end if he doesnt sign right away its not the end of the world. we got some depth in Benn and Mete even if they aren't our first choices.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Or, ya know, just the guy that's made out to be a scapegoat undeservedly among the Leafs fanbase.
Yeah thats not wrong, seems the defensive defensemen are often the scapegoats.
Still that one example is just 7 games and one specific situation, hardly proof of him beeing a 'very solid defenseman'.

Reactions: TML1990

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Don't know why they want to keep him in the first place. Writing was on the wall the second they extended Giordano. Rielly, Muzzin & Giordano are all better LD signed for the next two years. Dermott 2.0 situation.
Because he still needs time to develop. Torontos hoping In 2 years he’ll be ready for the team full time. You don’t just drop a player in the line up for 82 games and hope it works out. he needs to earn his spot. Not just have it handed to him. It’s how majority of the teams treat their prospects.

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
His agent should be pounding the streets looking for a 1.5-2M offer sheet.
Can agents of RFAs legally speak to other teams or do the teams have to engage with them first or its tampering?

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Just let him go to another team that appreciate him. The Leafs have never dumped swedes before that turned out to be good..... (Stralman, Gunnarsson, Steen)

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Good, pay your stars and play hardball with unproven young talent. This is what everyone bitching about the Leafs want!

Reactions: Leafshater67

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hate to break it to the young man but bottom pairing RFA dmen with consistency issues just don't command much of a price tag. Something like the Valimaki deal of 1.55 x 2 is probably the best he can hope for.

Reactions: Jmo89 and leafsfan5

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Anyone betting that someone like the Canes will do a 1x4.2M offer sheet? If Gardiner is deemed not ready for the start of the season, they very well could use the opportunity here using the Patches LTIR space. Canes could then lock him up long-term at a lower cap hit to be Skjei's future successor.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Don't know why they want to keep him in the first place. Writing was on the wall the second they extended Giordano. Rielly, Muzzin & Giordano are all better LD signed for the next two years. Dermott 2.0 situation.
Yeah I would bet lack of clarity around his opportunity this year is the sticking point more than money. That being said, all he had to do was outplay Dermott this year for more consistent ice time and he couldn't. He's got a ton of potential but his skating sucks and if he had done enough for a full time spot he'd be in. They do need a competent #7 with Giordano turning 57 this year and Muzzin being more likely to get injured at some point than not, and if he can get comfortable on the right I'd imagine he plays over Holl

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Hate to break it to the young man but bottom pairing RFA dmen with consistency issues just don't command much of a price tag. Something like the Valimaki deal of 1.55 x 2 is probably the best he can hope for.
And Valimaki has a good chance of clearing waivers this year. I really think they're just looking for some level of guarantee that he'll get into more games, I don't see how he could expect to command more than the Liljegren signing

Reactions: Ciao

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Anyone betting that someone like the Canes will do a 1x4.2M offer sheet? If Gardiner is deemed not ready for the start of the season, they very well could use the opportunity here using the Patches LTIR space. Canes could then lock him up long-term at a lower cap hit to be Skjei's future successor.
If anyone wanted to send an offer sheet wouldn't that already have happened?

He is not really a top 4 guy right now and bottom pairing LD is kind of easy and cheaper to fill.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If anyone wanted to send an offer sheet wouldn't that already have happened?

He is not really a top 4 guy right now and bottom pairing LD is kind of easy and cheaper to fill.

You only make such a move if you think that he will be a 2nd pair guy in a couple of seasons. I mentioned Skjei because his contract expires two seasons from now. That would be who Sandin would potentially succeed in the Canes hierarchy.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
any word on what his asking price is? and what the team have offered him? I feel like at most he gets what Liljegren did. if he has to sit the season then he has to sit the season, cant over pay.
I like Sandin and all but in the end if he doesnt sign right away its not the end of the world. we got some depth in Benn and Mete even if they aren't our first choices.

I believe they want a deal similar to Boqvist .. and some assurances on a roster spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad