Recalled/Assigned: Raphael Díaz

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Wish these warrior charts could be shortened to just this year. Boyle's is much better than Diaz's, but I have a feeling that isn't the case

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Also, as far as Diaz vs McIlrath, it's not so much that... it's moreso if AV finds a way to both get McIlrath at, and then put both Diaz and Girardi back in

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Really not sure how Diaz has built this narrative about being able to push offense and help the power play, etc... Guy must have the best PR firm in the league.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Really not sure how Diaz has built this narrative about being able to push offense and help the power play, etc... Guy must have the best PR firm in the league.

I guess because you haven't watched much of him. Did you see Dylan get torched two times by the Pens forwards, because he was too slow on the transition to keep up?

That doesn't happen to quicker defenseman like Diaz.

The guy can play, and if AV wants speed, THIS is his only option.

Like I said earlier, if McIlrath had this foot speed, and stick-handling ability, we wouldn't be discussing Diaz right now.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Regardless of McIlrath, if Diaz is rightfully the sixth defenseman, this team is cooked. He is terrible defensively, has zero grit and for an offensive defenseman provides about zero offense at the NHL level. At his PRIME he was average on offense, and that was half an injury plagued decade ago. Yes, pairing him with Yandle WOULD be lethal... To the Rangers.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I guess because you haven't watched much of him. Did you see Dylan get torched two times by the Pens forwards, because he was too slow on the transition to keep up?

Like I said earlier, if McIlrath had this foot speed, and stick-handling ability, we wouldn't be discussing Diaz right now.

again, I agree, but it's only going to be effective if it means Girardi is staying out and Diaz is coming in...

I've been adamant that we should have a 4th d pair that should be subbed in every few games.

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath

Staal-Boyle
Diaz-Girardi
Skjei

Plug Skjei in wherever there is a need

As far as Skjei permanently playing the right side, it definitely makes sense, especially if they see Graves being ready in about 2 years when Staal is ready to be moved... Unfortunately, because of the money invested in this defense, keeping Girardi should not be an option by any means. He either needs to be bought out, needs to retire, or needs to go to LTIR.

Once Klein starts to decline, the answer should be to acquire Shattenkirk.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Most Rangers fans saw Diaz play for us this fall as well as in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Even if people never saw Diaz play if he was some great power play quarterback at the NHL level that would show up in his career stats. Guys of all skating speeds get beat occasionally whether they skate like Chara or skate like John Moore. We would be kidding ourselves to say Diaz is immune to getting skated around by other teams players. Your video showed 1 of the 2 goals Diaz scored that season in 56 games.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Regardless of McIlrath, if Diaz is rightfully the sixth defenseman, this team is cooked. He is terrible defensively, has zero grit and for an offensive defenseman provides about zero offense at the NHL level. At his PRIME he was average on offense, and that was half an injury plagued decade ago. Yes, pairing him with Yandle WOULD be lethal... To the Rangers.

Thank you for this post! It is spot on. I would posit, anyone that prefers Diaz as the 6th defenseman has not watched him play a lick.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Untitled-copy.jpg

People acting like subbing Diaz in for McIlrath will cause the apocalypse...

I'd rather Diaz go in for Boyle, but it's not like swapping Diaz/Wrath is the end of the world. Jesus...

I don't think Boyle has been that bad. Frankly, as much as I want to see McIlrath play, I have no problem with Diaz stepping in as long as Girardi doesn't come near the ice again.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
What's the difference between McIlrath getting torched because he's not quick and Diaz getting torched because he's not very good defensively, like, at all?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Not going to discuss McIlrath's game in this thread. Been beaten to death.

What I will discuss is your evidence on Diaz being a good offensive optino being one video, of half of his total goals, and 1/4 of his point totals, last season despite 56 games played.

Do we need to post the video of Nigel Dawes dancing around Pronger, or can we all agree that one video of a highlight is a ******** way to prove a point?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Guys of all skating speeds get beat occasionally whether they skate like Chara or skate like John Moore. We would be kidding ourselves to say Diaz is immune to getting skated around by other teams players. Your video showed 1 of the 2 goals Diaz scored that season in 56 games.

Agreed, but AV & the coaching staff sees McIlrath everyday in practice and knows his strengths and weaknesses much more than we do.

No one ever said Diaz is immune to getting beat, but when you are a great, fast skater you will get beat a lot less than someone who is much slower, less agile.

It's about match-ups here. Diaz's speed is an asset to counter the Pens speed. McIlrath (while great in lots of other areas of the game) doesn't match up well against their speed.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Agreed, but AV & the coaching staff sees McIlrath everyday in practice and knows his strengths and weaknesses much more than we do.

No one ever said Diaz is immune to getting beat, but when you are a great, fast skater you will get beat a lot less than someone who is much slower, less agile.

It's about match-ups here. Diaz's speed is an asset to counter the Pens speed. McIlrath (while great in lots of other areas of the game) doesn't match up well against their speed.

John Moore could skate as well as almost any defensemen in the NHL and he had nightmare struggles at times on defense. Bobby Sanguinetti could also skate like the wind for a defenseman. I understand what your viewpoint is but I respectfully disagree. I think you may be over estimating Diaz defensively and under estimating Dylan defensively. That is just my opinion.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
John Moore could skate as well as almost any defensemen in the NHL and he had nightmare struggles at times on defense. Bobby Sanguinetti could also skate like the wind for a defenseman. I understand what your viewpoint is but I respectfully disagree. I think you may be over estimating Diaz defensively and under estimating Dylan defensively. That is just my opinion.

Which part do you disagree with? The viewpoint that the coaching staff sees? Of wanting a better matchup with a faster defenseman to counter the Pens speed transition?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah by some arbitrary standard of what constitutes an NHL player or not, mostly at the discretion of the doofuses in charge, especially regarding this particular team.
Looks like the NHL is made up mostly of doofuses. If the teams were run by HF posters who see true value of a 30 year old fringe defenseman, then all would be right.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've always found it fascinating how we can turn appeal to authority on and off just that quickly.
I think that a decision of all NHL GM's at not clamoring to bring him into their starting 6 is a little different than questioning AV's use of Boyle or Girardi, no?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I've always found it fascinating how we can turn appeal to authority on and off just that quickly.

If AV does something you like, he's a genius. If he does something you don't like, he's a moron. Simple logic.

Sort of like how when I'm walking to work. People who walk slower than me are annoying. People who walk faster than me are *******s.

Simple, really.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If AV does something you like, he's a genius. If he does something you don't like, he's a moron. Simple logic.

Sort of like how when I'm walking to work. People who walk slower than me are annoying. People who walk faster than me are *******s.

Simple, really.

I am so relieved I am not alone in this, especially when I am driving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad