Recalled/Assigned: Raphael Díaz

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he averaged a hair under 60 games the 2 prior seasons,
his 1 stint on waivers (ie when he coulda been claimed by anyone) was at the tightest time of the year when every team is making decisions to get down to 23,

not saying he's a given, but he is at least an established bottom 3 NHL D
He is 30 years old with more time spent in the minors than NHL. He has 0 points in 12 playoff games. His point total in the seasons that you cite are 15 & 4. He has been placed on waivers with no one jumping to get him. Not sure how that equates to being an established, solid bottom-3 defenseman. If he was that, then he would have been starting on a team. Considering that legit, NHL starting defensemen do not grow on trees.
their are a couple dozen of these guys in AHL or Europe every year, who are just as good as many 5-6-7 d-men in NHL
supply outruns demand at the edge of NHL rosters
Sorry, not buying that. Defensemen get hurt all the time. A spot for him would have been found.
but he is just as likely as Skjei or McIlrath to contribute to a win tonight or thursday
The kids offer more upside than a fringe NHL player. One that most teams could not be bothered with.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He is 30 years old with more time spent in the minors than NHL. He has 0 points in 12 playoff games. His point total in the seasons that you cite are 15 & 4. He has been placed on waivers with no one jumping to get him. Not sure how that equates to being an established, solid bottom-3 defenseman. If he was that, then he would have been starting on a team. Considering that legit, NHL starting defensemen do not grow on trees.

Sorry, not buying that. Defensemen get hurt all the time. A spot for him would have been found.

The kids offer more upside than a fringe NHL player. One that most teams could not be bothered with.

Spot on TB. I'd rather have the kids learning on the job than a fringe NHLer that has no future with this club.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
That is a rosy way to look at it. The other way is that the Rangers are about to insert a fringe NHL player, one that all other teams have decided he is not a starter, into the starting line up of Game 3 of a playoff series.

It's not a rosy way to look at it - it's a realistic way. That's the reason why he would be inserted into the lineup. If he was horrible on the PP and never shot the puck, he wouldn't sniff the rink. Otherwise, he should see sheltered/limited ice-time.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It's not a rosy way to look at it - it's a realistic way. That's the reason why he would be inserted into the lineup. If he was horrible on the PP and never shot the puck, he wouldn't sniff the rink. Otherwise, he should see sheltered/limited ice-time.

For every 80 NHL games Diaz averages around 3 goals (which is also his career season high).

Which current NYR player are you removing from our PP to insert Diaz?

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
This guy gets it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
McIlrath is probably better offensively than diaz strictly based on being able to beat a goalie clean from the point with his bomb. diaz is a better passer.

i'll take mcilrath...we need physicality...this team is too soft as it is...i'll take mcilrath killing someone with an open ice hit to change this dynamic 10 times out of 10.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
For every 80 NHL games Diaz averages around 3 goals (which is also his career season high).

Depends how it's flipped. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have Yandle + Diaz at the point because they both move it quite nicely and they are a threat because they can shoot it - so it creates some unpredictability there.

Who would I move? Depending on the structure of each PP unit, Skjei can move off with Boyle, so you have Diaz + Boyle, or you can convert the first PP unit from a diamond-like structure to a box - get rid of Kreider and you can have Stepan, Zucc, Brass, Diaz + Yandle.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's the reason why he would be inserted into the lineup. If he was horrible on the PP and never shot the puck, he wouldn't sniff the rink. Otherwise, he should see sheltered/limited ice-time.
If the ifs and buts had cherries and nuts.......To continue with the "what if" game, if he was good enough, then he would have been a regular on an NHL team already.
It's not a rosy way to look at it - it's a realistic way.
No matter which shade of lipstick you put on a pig, it is still a pig.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I'm not familiar with these innuendos you're using or whatever you would like to call it, I told you in what situations he would be useful for. He played on VAN, MTL, CGY, etc., and he's now 30 years old. He's not an amazing player, he's fairly capable of playing at this level.

Why wouldn't he be on another team at the moment? Because there's other players that are developing that may have a higher, overall ceiling than Diaz does at age 19-24. It's really not a hard scenario to grasp, unless you intend it to be.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Depends how it's flipped. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have Yandle + Diaz at the point because they both move it quite nicely and they are a threat because they can shoot it - so it creates some unpredictability there.

Who would I move? Depending on the structure of each PP unit, Skjei can move off with Boyle, so you have Diaz + Boyle, or you can convert the first PP unit from a diamond-like structure to a box - get rid of Kreider and you can have Stepan, Zucc, Brass, Diaz + Yandle.

I hope we would not disrupt our first unit PP by removing a 21 goal scorer who has played a large role on the first unit PP in the second half of this season. CK has 5 PP goals this season and 18 career PP goals.

Diaz has 1 career PP goal in the NHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

His PP P/60 is the same as Ekman-Larsson's. Just looking at his totals isn't really fair

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think Diaz is a good PP option despite the point totals not being there.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Well, since we are talking about what Diaz might bring to our PP, it would be fair to look at his PP numbers.

Diaz has scored 1 power play goal in his NHL career.

I do not want to bash Diaz. He seems like a good guy but I do disagree with some of the hyperbole.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not familiar with these innuendos you're using or whatever you would like to call it, I told you in what situations he would be useful for. He played on VAN, MTL, CGY, etc., and he's now 30 years old. He's not an amazing player, he's fairly capable of playing at this level.

Why wouldn't he be on another team at the moment? Because there's other players that are developing that may have a higher, overall ceiling than Diaz does at age 19-24. It's really not a hard scenario to grasp, unless you intend it to be.
It seem hard for me to fathom that not one NHL team wanted to have this bona-fide bottom 6 defenseman on their team. That is exactly the reason as to why he is not on a team. The position that fringe players often find themselves in.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Let's just hope McDonagh is in. I think it's a no brainer that the strongest lineup would involve him in and Skjei playing the right side.

If McDonagh is out and Diaz plays over McIlrath, this board will have a collective coronary.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Diaz is an experience defender for sure - I hope he will get the chance, and he has been unlucky with his career so far.
I will cross my fingers for him, and I hope they will use him on our PP! ))

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
The Diaz talk is a bit premature no? The guy missed most of the year in Hartford, he just came back and barely got a couple of games in. I don't see how anyone would put him in ahead of McIlrath or even Skjei on the right unless of additional injuries.

If McDonagh comes back, I can see Skjei staying in on the right.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Let's just hope McDonagh is in. I think it's a no brainer that the strongest lineup would involve him in and Skjei playing the right side.

If McDonagh is out and Diaz plays over McIlrath, this board will have a collective coronary.

I really have to wonder the rationale here.

Diaz hasn't played in the NHL since May. Hasn't even been with the team since training camp.

I literally can't fathom what the rationale for playing him over McIlrath is. And to be honest it's not a choice that'll keep me up all night, I just don't understand it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I really have to wonder the rationale here.

Diaz hasn't played in the NHL since May. Hasn't even been with the team since training camp.

I literally can't fathom what the rationale for playing him over McIlrath is. And to be honest it's not a choice that'll keep me up all night, I just don't understand it.

Well whichever one of them plays is going to get limited even strength minutes. McIlrath only played 9 minutes last game. If they actually think Diaz is a better PP option than their other guys it could make sense. The difference between the two of them in 8-9 even strength minutes won't be significant but if Diaz is actually an asset on the PP that can swing it. It's not like McIlrath has really been PK'ing either. He was 5th in PK TOI last game.

That said it seems rather doubtful to me that Diaz would actually be an asset on the PP as who is he playing over? The first PP unit only uses Yandle on D. And the second has Boyle and likely Skjei. I suppose it could be argued he'd be a better PP option than Skjei now but conversely it helps to have one lefty and one righty on the point if possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->