Recalled/Assigned: Raphael Díaz

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't quite think he'll get in next game, but if Dylan makes the few obvious mistakes he made last game, then I can see Raffi being in game 4.

The interesting thing is the longer it goes with Girardi the more suspect his injury will become. Like what does AV say when the Rangers season ends, whenever that may be? Either he'll have to spill the beans that G wasn't playing up to snuff, whiff is unlikely, or G will have to come back sooner or later.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think Dylan will play. I think Dylan played well yesterday. All our dman make some mistakes but for some reason Dylan's are talked about over and over again even though they rarely end up in our net. Didn't one of our dmen give up a breakaway yesterday? That was not Dylan but other dmens mistakes get overlooked much more often.

I think Dan G is probably sore or something if he is not practicing tomorrow.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People like to see conspiracies but Girardi was thrown very violently into the boards by Brian Boyle in the Tampa game. Banged up?---yeah I think so. Wanted to play? Yep--but I think he's still hurting and if that's the case we should have McIlrath taking his spot.

Diaz is slicker and smoother than McIlrath but he's like a poor man's version of Dan Boyle---smallish and not great defensively. To me he's an insurance policy.

With Hartford's season over--there should be a few guys up and practicing with the Rangers all the time. Diaz should certainly be one of those guys. He has NHL and NHL playoff experience. We've had Hellberg and Hrivik already up. I would add a few guys to that. Jayson Megna, Nicklas Jensen, Chris Summers, Ryan Graves---perhaps Chris Brown, MacKenzie Skapski, Mat Bodie, Brian Gibbons and Daniel Paille.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It's been 6-7 months since training camp and he's still not better than McIlrath, so I fully expect him to play in game 3.

BarbaraAlphanse

Yea... I don't expect him to play next game. And only in game 4 if Mcilrath has a bad game.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Mcilrath with yandle are fine and will be fine. The only concern is a little bit of the outside speed the pens present but he should be playing . Period

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'd rather out Diaz in for Boyle than for McL. Although I'd rather he just not play at all.

same. at this point, try Staal-Diaz as a pairing...

Staal-Diaz/Klein
Skjei-Klein/Diaz
Yandle-McIlrath

Even more balanced. Boyle hasn't been terrible, but he could definitely use the rest

Ranger Angst

May 3, 2009
Montreal
McIlrath's character must be off the charts to put up with all the crap moves of Vigneault . helathy scratch , 4th line winger ... If ever he uses Diaz , that will be pushing the limit. Support players like McIlrath bring a lot in the playoffs where physical play is more prevalent.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Not trying to be snarky here but why is everyone so sure Diaz is coming in for McI and not Skjei? AV has made crazier decisions.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
McIlrath's character must be off the charts to put up with all the crap moves of Vigneault . helathy scratch , 4th line winger ... If ever he uses Diaz , that will be pushing the limit. Support players like McIlrath bring a lot in the playoffs where physical play is more prevalent.

AV abhors toughness that isn't provided by his body pillow Tanner.

AV likes a fast skating pack of eunuchs who refuse to engage in hooliganism.

Shame he's coaching an NHL team in the playoffs with that mentality.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
Not trying to be snarky here but why is everyone so sure Diaz is coming in for McI and not Skjei? AV has made crazier decisions.

"Because at this point Dan Girardi is a better defensive defenseman" and all the other damning with faint praise Vigknownothing has done all year with regard to McIlrath.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I have no problems with Diaz for McIlrath. At this point as long as it's not Girardi, it's fine. He probably plays in Game 3

McIlrath's probably the better player but it's somewhat even at this point

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Dylan got beat twice very badly in Game 2. His lack of speed (especially on the transition) is still a huge detriment to his game.

Diaz is much faster, and now that he is healed from injury gives AV more options over Girardi if he doesn't want to keep McIlrath in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad