News Article: Ranking Each Fanbases Confidence in Front Office

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
How can you be so confident? He already did just 12 days ago with that awful contract handed out to Eriksson that even Boston wasn't stupid enough to give.

The trade deadline, and each time he signals he's in the market to deal, sending those with nervous bowels racing to the outhouse, are other moments he's set the franchise back...

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't say that we're 30th IMO, I'd rather Benning over Sweeney for sure and possibly Chiarelli and the OBC. Splitting hairs though.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It is my opinion that all though everyone thinks the Canucks are doomed this upcoming season.. if they stay healthy they will be in the running for a playoff spot in March / early April.

if they do not make the playoffs. or the season goes off the rails like this past year

I would say the Willie will be let go. But Jim Benning will get

Benning must have Linden firmly in his corner to be able to avoid dismissal after two missed playoff seasons... With this ownership?

He was smart to keep Willy onboard. That's the card he gets to play should things awry.

I'm curious what "in the playoff hunt" means? Is it as this year, where as long as they weren't mathematically Eliminated Benning kept touting that they were in the hunt? If that's all it takes to satisfy, he's got a free pass this season.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A fan base who is obsessed with analytics isn't happy with a GM who doesn't solely base his decisions on them... Gasp... Colour me shocked.

Nobody is asking him to solely base his decisions on analytics. Just don't outright ignore them and in some cases intentionally (seemingly) attempt to defy them.

We aren't happy with him for more reasons than just this though. He's been an utter failure since Day 1.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Benning must have Linden firmly in his corner to be able to avoid dismissal after two missed playoff seasons... With this ownership?

He was smart to keep Willy onboard. That's the card he gets to play should things awry.

I'm curious what "in the playoff hunt" means? Is it as this year, where as long as they weren't mathematically Eliminated Benning kept touting that they were in the hunt? If that's all it takes to satisfy, he's got a free pass this season.

You have to be fair with the team when Benning took over.

Booth Kesler Higgins.

Kesler had a NTC to one team.

This is not an easy fix

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
We are in the back of the pack though right? Thats still not good.

Pretty much this. So we're 29 or 28 instead of 30? It's a matter of splitting hairs. The bottom line is that we're one of the very worst run organizations in the NHL with no end in sight. Disgusting

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
You have to be fair with the team when Benning took over.

Booth Kesler Higgins.

Kesler had a NTC to one team.

This is not an easy fix

Pretty sure Booth was an easy fix... Just bought him out.
Higgins still had value.
Haven't we seen a few instances in recent history of players with 1 team lists? None of those other teams have been roasted the way Benning was. And besides, I think an argument could be made that Benning specifically targetted Bonino and Sbisa, which is actually worse than losing value from negotiating skills.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Dunno if this has been addressed by anyone in this thread but I just wanted to speak to the notion that "200 surveys is a small sample". "Small" is a relative term but the margin of error for an n. 200 random sample is plus or minus 6.9% using 95% confidence (the "19 times out of 20" that is usually cited).

Is that a massively accurate sample? No but I work in market research and it's a perfectly valid sample size to report at. And in my experience, adding sample increases the level of accuracy you can report but it rarely changes the actual results by more than 1 or 2% unless you massively change the composition of your sample.

What is far more important and worth dissecting is the "WHO" makes up the n.200 sample, as there are all sorts of biases associated with self-selected sample like online newspaper polls.

But the 200 sample size itself is not a problem nor in anyway discredits the results. You could double or triple that and the results would largely stay the same.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
But the return he got is the issue based on the players he identified.

He swung and missed on Sbisa, it happens.

McCann became a top 4 24 year old defender who turned 24 in January.

I cannot understand how this isn't a win. Bonino went to Pittsburg and got paired with Kessel it's not rocket surgery, the 2nd the deal for Sutter happened I went WoW perfect home for Bonino. Sutter is an awesome player and the fact he's paid 4.5 million is a steal compared to most middle tier guys, he didn't even get a chance to prove a thing last year.

The Kesler deal was good for two reasons, excellent return considering, NTC, and Darth Aquilinius

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Dunno if this has been addressed by anyone in this thread but I just wanted to speak to the notion that "200 surveys is a small sample". "Small" is a relative term but the margin of error for an n. 200 random sample is plus or minus 6.9% using 95% confidence (the "19 times out of 20" that is usually cited).

Is that a massively accurate sample? No but I work in market research and it's a perfectly valid sample size to report at. And in my experience, adding sample increases the level of accuracy you can report but it rarely changes the actual results by more than 1 or 2% unless you massively change the composition of your sample.

What is far more important and worth dissecting is the "WHO" makes up the n.200 sample, as there are all sorts of biases associated with self-selected sample like online newspaper polls.

But the 200 sample size itself is not a problem nor in anyway discredits the results. You could double or triple that and the results would largely stay the same.

That's what I'm curious about. What were the age ranges etc. Lots of relevant information that could influence how someone votes.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That's what I'm curious about. What were the age ranges etc. Lots of relevant information that could influence how someone votes.

Ya I glanced through the article and couldn't glean how the author sourced his sample but it sounded like it was "self-selected", like a link in an article or webpage, rather than a controlled, stratified sample. The biggest problem in my books would be the balance of fans of different teams. Since who you cheer for will massively skew your perceptions, if you have an imbalanced representation it will skew the data one way or another. Now we don't know which direction it skews the data vis a vis the Canucks. Maybe a "proper" sample makes the ranking even worse, we can't *assume* that it is only bad due to the sample composition.

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
He swung and missed on Sbisa, it happens.

McCann became a top 4 24 year old defender who turned 24 in January.

I cannot understand how this isn't a win. Bonino went to Pittsburg and got paired with Kessel it's not rocket surgery, the 2nd the deal for Sutter happened I went WoW perfect home for Bonino. Sutter is an awesome player and the fact he's paid 4.5 million is a steal compared to most middle tier guys, he didn't even get a chance to prove a thing last year.

The Kesler deal was good for two reasons, excellent return considering, NTC, and Darth Aquilinius
He didn't swing and miss on Sbisa. He swung, missed, and then followed through to hit himself by failing to recognize that it might not be a good idea to give him a big raise...

McCann did not become a top 4 D. McCann and a very early 2nd round pick became a player with some question marks that is probably already looking to resign for big money.

Follow that up with the notion that if Vatanen was on the table we could have had an actual top 4 PMD as part of the Kesler deal...

4.5 million is not a steal for a tweener

It was a disappointing return when the trade was announced and it hasn't aged well at all.

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Ya I glanced through the article and couldn't glean how the author sourced his sample but it sounded like it was "self-selected", like a link in an article or webpage, rather than a controlled, stratified sample. The biggest problem in my books would be the balance of fans of different teams. Since who you cheer for will massively skew your perceptions, if you have an imbalanced representation it will skew the data one way or another. Now we don't know which direction it skews the data vis a vis the Canucks. Maybe a "proper" sample makes the ranking even worse, we can't *assume* that it is only bad due to the sample composition.

Yeah, from my perspective the survey hits the mark. But thinking about the sort of people who would be easily available and interested in taking the survey and its sort of the younger analytics based fans. In this case, accuracy of viewpoint is less important than actually looking at the broad spectrum of hockey fans and their diverse opinions.
Still, I think with all of the public discourse over Canucks and their mismanagement recently, this is probably a pretty good glimpse at the opinion of the average fan.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
A fan base who is obsessed with analytics isn't happy with a GM who doesn't solely base his decisions on them... Gasp... Colour me shocked.

Odd way to put it. Fanbase isn't happy with the GM because predictably bad moves ended up being bad, and the team tanked as a result. Analytic's is a popular new trend across the NHL, it didn't come into play because of Benning. All it does is add more fuel for some to criticize him on, but said criticism would still be there with or without analytic's.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
This should be a ranking of fans who over react the most. Obviously in reverse order.

The title is actually misleading.

The survey was of 200 people who gave ratings of each team in terms of how they would feel if that team were their team.

1) It wasn't a ranking (the 200 people weren't asked to rank. The ranking was post-hoc.)

2) It wasn't "of each fanbase." The same 200 people ranked each team.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

Thats is very true. Then again, what really matters is where the sample comes from. It would have to be a truly random sample to be a scientific poll.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
I'm a little surprised with the LA and Chicago rankings. How can you not be pleased with 3 cups in six seasons or 2 cups in 4 seasons? Chicago in particular manages to be a cup favourite every year even when a few of their bottom 9 forwards get picked clean almost every off season. Id say their management group has been hands down the best in the league for a while now.
You fail the Rob Scuderi test and you're gonna pay

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Canucks being a cap ceiling team that just finished 28th in the league and continue to trade draft picks and prospects.

Is that analytical?

You are just trying to confuse me with fancy stats like 28th and meaningless jargon like cap ceiling team. Just because you are 28th doesn't mean you can't be a good team and make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad