News Article: Ranking Each Fanbases Confidence in Front Office

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-much-confidence-does-each-nhl-fan-base-have-in-their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

Felt this was worthy of posting/discussing.

Im going to be the first to say, I don't think a 200 person survey necessarily makes this a formal survey by any means. I will concede that point right away.

With that said, I am having a hard time disagreeing with a lot of the rankings. The teams that finished near the top all seem to be smart front offices with good direction and management. The ones near the bottom seem to be the teams who lack direction, or have a history of repeatedly making bad moves.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Sounds about right. Awful ownership and an awful Front Office.

Wouldn't say we're 29th in Drafting/Development though.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Very little to do with front office, everything to do with the blind owners ego.

It has a lot to do with front office. These guys aren't making the moves for ole Jim and Trev, who have reminded us quite a few times they have full control

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Don't agree with the placement on drafting.

Agreed that 29 seems a bit low, but in 3 years we basically have Virtanen, Demko, Boeser, and Juolevi to show for it, and a bunch of "meh" prospects that every other team has a plethora of... so I wouldn't really say our drafting is good... just probably not the 2nd worst.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Good article and I agree with the ranking of the Canucks. This team is an absolute joke and this management is a complete laughingstock. This team will be a bottom feeder until we replace these complete morons with competent management.

Welcome to Vancouver's version of the Milbury/JFJ/Lowe era. Those guys had their share of supporters too for some reason.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Just added reinforcement that this management team is inept...I think all but a few devoted Benningites (along with Trevor Linden and ownership it would seem) can see this team is completely off the rails.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Can we combine this into the Management thread? Just cause it seems both are talking about the same thing. Thanks.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Whoa.. :laugh:

VAN.jpg

TB.jpg

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
30. Van
29. Mon
28. Bos

3. Nas
2. Fla
1. TBL

It interesting seeing the level of critique.

People are a little more laid back in the south eh... ha ha..

3 of the bottom 5 are O6 teams.. the other 2 are Van and Edm.

Old or CND market - more critical.
New market - a little more chill.

LA Kings, winners of 2 recent Stanley Cups - 20th.
Chicago - 3 recent cups - 12th

7 teams in the top 10 are expansion era/newer teams. The other just won the cup. The other 2: Caps and Sabres...

Not much separating the Oil and Sabres.. yet Sabres: 9th, Oilers 27th.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

What have we done to prompt a better place than 29th on drafting/development?

We've recently had a 5th overall pick (2016), 6th overall pick (2014), 23rd overall pick (2015), 24th overall pick (2014) and 36th overall pick (2014).

Our 6th overall in 2014 is looking like a tremendously poor return on our pick. I have faith that Virtanen will become a useful NHL player (and maybe even a fan favourite one day), but the board was clamoring for Ehlers or Nylander and both of them look fantastic so far with star potential.

Our 24th overall in 2014 the reaction was pretty tepid on McCann. Fans wanted Barbashev badly, but neither is lighting the world on fire. I'm still generally OK with picking McCann and I'm ignoring Pastrnak because he wasn't even on my radar at the time so it would be unfair to judge him in hindsight.

Our 36th overall in 2014 was great value at our pick. No complaints with walking away from the draft with the best goalie prospect while only spending a high 2nd, and to Demko's credit he has looked fantastic since being drafted.

Our 23rd overall pick in 2015 was hit right out of the park. People were hoping for Konecny but were generally just praying Benning didn't pick pick Carlo. Boeser I'd say so far has been an absolute stud pick and there are no complaints here.

Our 5th overall pick in 2016 has not been well received so far. Although many are using the Hall for Larsson trade as a prime example of why the pick made sense, it is universally been seen as a reach from the BPA to the pick Benning wanted, like the Virtanen pick. Many wanted to go with Tkachuk and a few scattered fans would have preferred Sergachev if we insisted on going for a defenseman. Juolevi should become a staple on our blueline for the next decade, but it remains to be seen whether he'll be anchoring our first pair or second pair.

So basically Benning has had good to great success with late 1sts and early 2nds, but has absolutely went rogue on the 2 best picks we've had in the last 15 years. Only time will tell if Benning was a step ahead of the fan base on scouting Virtanen and Juolevi or a step behind.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC

We've recently had a 5th overall pick (2016), 6th overall pick (2014), 23rd overall pick (2015), 24th overall pick (2014) and 36th overall pick (2014).

Our 6th overall in 2014 is looking like a tremendously poor return on our pick. I have faith that Virtanen will become a useful NHL player (and maybe even a fan favourite one day), but the board was clamoring for Ehlers or Nylander and both of them look fantastic so far with star potential.

Our 24th overall in 2014 the reaction was pretty tepid on McCann. Fans wanted Barbashev badly, but neither is lighting the world on fire. I'm still generally OK with picking McCann and I'm ignoring Pastrnak because he wasn't even on my radar at the time so it would be unfair to judge him in hindsight.

Our 36th overall in 2014 was great value at our pick. No complaints with walking away from the draft with the best goalie prospect while only spending a high 2nd, and to Demko's credit he has looked fantastic since being drafted.

Our 23rd overall pick in 2015 was hit right out of the park. People were hoping for Konecny but were generally just praying Benning didn't pick pick Carlo. Boeser I'd say so far has been an absolute stud pick and there are no complaints here.

Our 5th overall pick in 2016 has not been well received so far. Although many are using the Hall for Larsson trade as a prime example of why the pick made sense, it is universally been seen as a reach from the BPA to the pick Benning wanted, like the Virtanen pick. Many wanted to go with Tkachuk and a few scattered fans would have preferred Sergachev if we insisted on going for a defenseman. Juolevi should become a staple on our blueline for the next decade, but it remains to be seen whether he'll be anchoring our first pair or second pair.

So basically Benning has had good to great success with late 1sts and early 2nds, but has absolutely went rogue on the 2 best picks we've had in the last 15 years. Only time will tell if Benning was a step ahead of the fan base on scouting Virtanen and Juolevi or a step behind.

That sounds pretty decent to me from 2014-2016...... better than 29th for sure. Maybe we as Vancouver fans have extremely unrealistic expectations?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That sounds pretty decent to me from 2014-2016...... better than 29th for sure. Maybe we as Vancouver fans have extremely unrealistic expectations?

No many just assume for some reason every pick is going to turn out. They won't and with the paltry numbers of prospects it doesn't actually look very good in the future. This will be illustrated by Urica over the next few years I think.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

yeah, not a chance he will be here to see how it pans out ....

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think voters are really able to separate the individual categories from their overall view of management. There's only 2-3 points of variance from the lowest category for a team to the highest category.

I think Vancouver's management is generally quite poor, but the drafting/development rating probably should be more around 5-6. I'm sure that if Vancouver's exact same drafting/development record was transferred to Tampa instead, it would probably get a 7+ rating just because Tampa's management is viewed very favourably. Halo effect and all.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think voters are really able to separate the individual categories from their overall view of management. There's only 2-3 points of variance from the lowest category for a team to the highest category.

I think Vancouver's management is generally quite poor, but the drafting/development rating probably should be more around 5-6. I'm sure that if Vancouver's exact same drafting/development record was transferred to Tampa instead, it would probably get a 7+ rating just because Tampa's management is viewed very favourably. Halo effect and all.

I don't know, maybe you just choice a pour team to show the difference, but part of why I would grade Tampa's drafting and developing high is because what they have produced. Also where in the draft some of these guys came from.

We have a few good looking 1st rounders, and one or two others looking strong, thats good but not great.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd say it's also a poor reflection of our drafting & development if we quickly ship out guys like Forsling, Shinkaruk, and McCann before they've really made it.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
This is also being discussed in the management thread. As I noted there, part of the reason the results are pretty reasonable is because it's the same 200 people ranking all front offices. Not 30 fanbases each ranking their own.

Which makes the title of the article misleading at best.

"How much confidence does each fan base have in their front office?" No idea. How much confidence do NHL fans in general have in all the league's front offices? Well, 200 is a pretty small sample, and likely biased in terms of which team's fans responded, but this article takes a shot at figuring that out.

Hence the low drafting score for Benning. Yes, his picks aren't proven yet, but even if most flop his drafting isn't 29th overall bad. Just looks like fans of other teams saying, well, he sucks at everything else, he must be a bad drafter too.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Just came across an article in the Province suggesting that the results may be due to the weather. Good weather in Tampa = Support team. Poor summer weather in Vancouver = no team support.

lol Seems legit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad