Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Robin Kovacs to 3 year ELC (803K per)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thoughts on how he'll do in the AHL or how much time he might need there?

My gut reaction is to say he'll be the type of player he steps it up in the second half. I don't think he's going to come out of the gate on fire.

If he can make the necessary adjustments, I'd say the first half of this season sees modest success, followed by an upswing in the second half --- maybe 10-15 goals on the season.

Next year, I'd be expect him to be a key player in Hartford, and maybe get a look or two with the Rangers.

I wouldn't really expect him to seriously challenge for a roster spot for two years.

With that said, he plays with a chip on his shoulder and always seems to find a way to force himself into coversations sooner than expected.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Interesting choice to cross the pond. He has good size not great at this point, so I'm curious if letting him stay over one more year would have benefited him physically. When Anisimov and Miller played for the Pack/Whale, both were physically more mature/stronger.

Rangers need a homegrown rat as Valliquete always says. Kovacs is that guy.

Wonder if he has a 3rd line role, PKs, gets 2nd PP unit time, with sheltered minutes/matchups to start the year.

Needs a playmaking center? Stromwall-Nieves-Kovacs sounds like a nice line to me.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Interesting choice to cross the pond. He has good size not great at this point, so I'm curious if letting him stay over one more year would have benefited him physically. When Anisimov and Miller played for the Pack/Whale, both were physically more mature/stronger.

Rangers need a homegrown rat as Valliquete always says. Kovacs is that guy.

Wonder if he has a 3rd line role, PKs, gets 2nd PP unit time, with sheltered minutes/matchups to start the year.

Needs a playmaking center? Stromwall-Nieves-Kovacs sounds like a nice line to me.

Kovac is pretty well built physically at 19, I don't think that will be much of an issue and I don't think he will be pushed around much like other young players are.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gordie Clark told Jim Cerny the Rangers are looking at Boo Nieves and Steven Fogarty to be the top centers in Hartford. The Rangers are going with a really young team in the AHL. Gropp. Kovacs. Tambellini. Stromwall. All of them besides Tambellini will be first year pros. Nieves and Fogarty finished last season in the AHL after their college careers were over.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gordie Clark told Jim Cerny the Rangers are looking at Boo Nieves and Steven Fogarty to be the top centers in Hartford. The Rangers are going with a really young team in the AHL. Gropp. Kovacs. Tambellini. Stromwall. All of them besides Tambellini will be first year pros. Nieves and Fogarty finished last season in the AHL after their college careers were over.

I wonder if that leaves Hrivik in NY or on the wing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't think the long-term plan for Hrivik was at center. More of a bandaid.

I honestly think this season will be his last with the Rangers organization. After that, he signs an AHL contract with Hartford and just becomes a career AHLer, or he goes somewhere else.

If Nieves and Fogarty are the top centers, where does Tambo go? I figured he'd be the 1C down in Hartford, and then Boo/Fogs would be 2C/3C

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I honestly think this season will be his last with the Rangers organization. After that, he signs an AHL contract with Hartford and just becomes a career AHLer, or he goes somewhere else.

Agreed. Likely a make or break year for him.

If Nieves and Fogarty are the top centers, where does Tambo go? I figured he'd be the 1C down in Hartford, and then Boo/Fogs would be 2C/3C

They might be able to shelter him a little bit, but I'd expect the 3 of them to bounce around the top-9 for the first couple months of the season while they try and find combinations that work. That being said, the future for Tambo could very well be on the wing. Much more of a shooter than than a play maker and with Stepan, Zib, Hayes, and Lindberg already in the NHL playing center, they might take a look at him as a winger this year to see if less responsibility defensively makes him a more potent scorer.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wonder if they'll try to bring in a veteran C to help shelter Nieves and Fogarty a bit.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Really can't wait for Kovacs to come over. He'll be superb in Hartford after some adjustments. Glad they have Stromwall over as well, to ease the transition.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Maybe the wing. Maybe they go with the 3 players at center. I just hope the Rangers can get one and hopefully two NHL regulars out of that group which includes Gropp,Kovacs,Nieves,Fogarty and Tambellini.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Hrivik will turn into a ufa if he does not play the required NHL games this season, so I have to agree this is likely his last year with the Rangers. Unless injuries allow for that and Gorton, AV and company can resist a Paille/Glass/Lapierre like replacement.

I have never been a fan or the Powe/Brashear/Paille/Glass/Lapierre/Halpern/Stoll/Malone stuff, at this point it's not even really funny in any way whatsoever. It's not like Hrivik will be the biggest loss or anything but cheap possible 4th liner who can play a little bit versus that other stuff, it's just inefficient.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Hrivik will turn into a ufa if he does not play the required NHL games this season, so I have to agree this is likely his last year with the Rangers. Unless injuries allow for that and Gorton, AV and company can resist a Paille/Glass/Lapierre like replacement.
I have never been a fan or the Powe/Brashear/Paille/Glass/Lapierre/Halpern/Stoll/Malone stuff, at this point it's not even really funny in any way whatsoever. It's not like Hrivik will be the biggest loss or anything but cheap possible 4th liner who can play a little bit versus that other stuff, it's just inefficient.

Think Hrivik has more to fear from Jensen--who played very well since coming over in the trade. Jensen is waiver eligible for the first time, Hrivik has already cleared waivers. It it comes down to one or the other, Hrivik loses.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Think Hrivik has more to fear from Jensen--who played very well since coming over in the trade. Jensen is waiver eligible for the first time, Hrivik has already cleared waivers. It it comes down to one or the other, Hrivik loses.

I agree with this, if only because Jensen made some noise at the World Championships. He's probably on a bunch of radars, even if only peripherally.

That being said, if nothing changes between now and the end of the offseason, I'm hoping they keep up 14 forwards. They definitely have the space to.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I agree with this, if only because Jensen made some noise at the World Championships. He's probably on a bunch of radars, even if only peripherally.

That being said, if nothing changes between now and the end of the offseason, I'm hoping they keep up 14 forwards. They definitely have the space to.

Knowing the team, they will probably try to squeeze every dollar in case thy want to make a move later in the season.

KreiderHouseRules*

Lots to watch for in HFD this year.

I'm going to try to goto a few games.

Kovacs, Stromwall, Nieves, Tambellini, Gropp, Graves, and Paliotta are going to be the ones I have the highest expectations for.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The AHL team will be teeming with young talent and it will hopefully be lots of fun to watch

Lots to watch for in HFD this year.

I'm going to try to goto a few games.

Kovacs, Stromwall, Nieves, Tambellini, Gropp, Graves, and Paliotta are going to be the ones I have the highest expectations for.

Paliotta would need waivers, no?

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

They have 16 waiver eligible forwards signed

If they keep Buch they have 17F

Lindberg injured to start, so 16F

Brown probably not considered, so 15F

If they keep Buch, it leaves Glass, Hrivik, Jensen all on the bubble, if they go with 14F one of those three is waived. If they go with 13F then two of those.

13F with Glass likely means both Hrivik and Jensen are waived. 14F with Glass only one of them.

Glass needs to go, it's just silly and it has been since he was signed. He also already passed through waivers without anyone picking him up, The AHL team needs some vets anyway.

All the same not really the right thread for this other than if / should Kovacs or any other waiver eligible prospect ever become NHL ready do the Rangers then also have a Glass like player taking up a roster spot?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

this kid jensen, is my dark horse for this season.

2 reasons.

first, he's got terrific measurables. 6'3 205 and fast. he's shown really decent hands recently and a legit shot. to me, he's kind of a vik stalberg type guy. size, wheels and skill. needs to put it together and show some consistency. he's got all the tools to be a very good offensive winger.

the other reason i like this kid is his recent international play. seems like he's getting it and gaining confidence offensively. we could use another skill guy who can skate to replace some of the hagelin speed we lack. adding some skill to this team will help and if he can play the pk, even better.

you add a mike grabner and nik jensen to this lineup and you add 2 guys who have both speed and some skill to the bottom 6. those 2 plus jesper, gerbe and jooris and you have 5 guys who can really skate.

hoping this kid comes to camp and lights it up.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
this kid jensen, is my dark horse for this season.

2 reasons.

first, he's got terrific measurables. 6'3 205 and fast. he's shown really decent hands recently and a legit shot. to me, he's kind of a vik stalberg type guy. size, wheels and skill. needs to put it together and show some consistency. he's got all the tools to be a very good offensive winger.

the other reason i like this kid is his recent international play. seems like he's getting it and gaining confidence offensively. we could use another skill guy who can skate to replace some of the hagelin speed we lack. adding some skill to this team will help and if he can play the pk, even better.

you add a mike grabner and nik jensen to this lineup and you add 2 guys who have both speed and some skill to the bottom 6. those 2 plus jesper, gerbe and jooris and you have 5 guys who can really skate.

hoping this kid comes to camp and lights it up.

All signs point to him being re-motivated by the trade to the Rangers. He did really well in Hartford, and in the WC.

He will very likely show up to training camp with an extreme desire to make it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Good to hear Kovacs is training with the Nylander brothers and Michael is supervising. Michael was in great shape throughout his career.

Curious if Kovacs and Stromwell have a good Traverse City together and hopefully he gets the same opportunities Duclar did to play with gifted players. Would love to see him spend some time with Zuc in training camp.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Good to hear Kovacs is training with the Nylander brothers and Michael is supervising. Michael was in great shape throughout his career.

Curious if Kovacs and Stromwell have a good Traverse City together and hopefully he gets the same opportunities Duclar did to play with gifted players. Would love to see him spend some time with Zuc in training camp.

Can't forget that the World Cup overlaps training camp this year--the final starts on Sept 27th (best of three--can end as late as October 1st. That's going to make it really hard to play around with line combinations once those players get back--especially when we're talking about a player who hasn't really played North American hockey yet and may only get one pre-season game before being sent down.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The AHL team will be teeming with young talent and it will hopefully be lots of fun to watch
Paliotta would need waivers, no?

according to CapFriendly waiver calculator,
Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator

Paliotta is still exempt

he's only 23,
and although i guess he burned a contract year in '15 as a Hawks 'black ace' after leaving UVm, i am not sure that affects waiver status

to-date has only appeared 2 NHL reg season games (1 in '15), only 68 AHL regular season games, so only 70 total pro regular season games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad