Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Robin Kovacs to 3 year ELC (803K per)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Looks like he's playing for the Wolf Pack this season :handclap:

Rogle GM Anders Carlsson says that Robin Kovacs will be playing in North America this season. (HD.se)

It was mentioned to him that the Rangers could still loan Kovacs back to Rogle for this season and responded by saying "we'll see when that day comes." (HD.se)

That is great news.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Awesome, got a good feeling about this kid. Moving to North America and playing in the AHL is huge for his development if he expects to play in the NHL

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
one of my favorite prospects in the system. he's swedish (not russian either, so there....) so I'm biased. :nod:

there arent many good ones in the pipeline but i think he can be real good.

love his swag and his affinity to shoot first and be able to finish quality chances.

given the sorry state of our farm, lets hope he develops quickly.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Kovacs doesn't get nearly the attention he deserves.

Kid has some underrated upside to his game, which has made significant progress season upon season to this point.

He's not easily intimidated and he's shown a better goal scoring touch than most anticipated.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

Kid has some underrated upside to his game, which has made significant progress season upon season to this point.

He's not easily intimidated and he's shown a better goal scoring touch than most anticipated.

Thoughts on how he'll do in the AHL or how much time he might need there?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I would have preferred he stay and play in the SHL this season, but hopefully Kovacs proves me wrong.

He played in Allsvenskan last season. The AHL is going to be a big step up in level of play, on top of the adjustments an overseas player needs to make when coming to NA.

I'm just worried this is a little too soon. I don't have a lot of faith in Gernander to help develop this kid.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What comes around Robin Kovacs (belonging to the New York Rangers)?

- It's the same thing there, he'll play in North America.

But Kovacs was not in draftens first round and is under 22 years - some say the regulations then he will be offered to you before the AHL if there will be games in the NHL?

- We'll see when that day comes.

But yes, it is true, that you have rights on your side?

- Yes. If we want.

Do you want it?

- We do not need to decide now. The question does not arise.

http://translate.google.com/transla...2016-08-03/rogle-jagar-en-sista-spetsvarvning

The transfer agreement differentiates between first rounders and other picks. All of the details have never been reported. Kovacs was not drafted in the first round and is under 22. The Swedish team has the right to have Kovacs play for them rather than have him play in the AHL if they want. That is what it sounds like. What does the player and agent want? The translation is not clear.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah hope he can continue to develop and add some agitating play to the Rangers roster along with some offense in the future

Dunno how I feel about him playing in the AHL other than they'll give him a chance to succeed and he'll be 20 years old this season, it's not like he's a fresh 18 year old trying to figure things out.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think they're going to see if Stromwall can help him adapt. If needed, they can loan him back to Rogle.

But I think Kovacs, if sheltered at the start before giving more commanding minutes, can blossom.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
http://translate.google.com/transla...2016-08-03/rogle-jagar-en-sista-spetsvarvning

The transfer agreement differentiates between first rounders and other picks. All of the details have never been reported. Kovacs was not drafted in the first round and is under 22. The Swedish team has the right to have Kovacs play for them rather than have him play in the AHL if they want. That is what it sounds like. What does the player and agent want? The translation is not clear.

seems there is an international opinion on the ahl.

avoid if possible

play at home until you are ready to step into the nhl.

times have changed, the euro leagues are very competitive places to develop young talent.

the ahl, is less appealing to kids coming over from europe. they dont want to be "stepping down".

KreiderHouseRules*

As I said!

Thrilled!

He'll be up with NYR mid-season IMO.

There will be injuries, and I'm not 100% sold on Grabner working out here for very long.

Kreider Stepan Buchnevich
Nash Zibanejad Zuccarello
Kovacs Hayes Miller
Jooris Lindberg Fast

The speed and character quotient has been restored.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
As I said!

Thrilled!

There will be injuries, and I'm not 100% sold on Grabner working out here for very long.

Kovacs Hayes Miller
Jooris Lindberg Fast

Kovacs will definitely need an adjustment period in the NA rink. I would be completed SHOCKED if he was called up at any point of the season. Realistically I see him on the opening night roster of the 18-19 season. Next season to adjust, will probably play OK, but nothing groundbreaking. The season after is where he will put up much better numbers. Then he will hopefully be ready for the NHL as a rookie.

KreiderHouseRules*

Kovacs will definitely need an adjustment period in the NA rink. I would be completed SHOCKED if he was called up at any point of the season. Realistically I see him on the opening night roster of the 18-19 season. Next season to adjust, will probably play OK, but nothing groundbreaking. The season after is where he will put up much better numbers. Then he will hopefully be ready for the NHL as a rookie.

That's certainly the safer scenario.

I see him dominating in the AHL quite easily. Just personal opinion.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Gonna give a shout out to BBKers for calling it.

Glad to see him in NA ice. His skating will instantly make him an effective AHLer IMO. With his buddy on the other side as a triggerman, I could see Kovacs try and emulate a Brad Marchand on that team. Try and play that role.

Maybe, just maybe he proves to be very effective at it.

HFD could have a collection of a bunch of middle six wingers if the center depth doesn't improve... a pair like Kovacs and Stromwall with a good playmaking center can do some damage.

Speed is very effective in a slow league, these two have speed, the AHL is a slower league.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Good find, RB!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Just a couple of years ago he'd be well behind Miller, Buch, Duke, Fast, Lindberg and Saarela on the forward prospect depth chart.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Oliver Kylington played in the AHL has an 18 year old last season. He was a 2nd rounder taken 2 picks before Kovacs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=172719

Protocol dictates that if the lad doesn’t crack the NHL lineup in the fall, AIK – as the holder of Kylington’s overseas contract – owns the right of first refusal.

Then, if the Swedish club declines Kylington’s services, the Flames have a couple of possible destinations – Stockton Heat of the American Hockey League, Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/flames-sign-swedish-prospect-oliver-kylington

Don't you think the Rangers have already discussed the AHL and Sweden element with AIK/Rogle ?

AIK allowed Kylington to stay in North America.

Both Kovacs and Kylington signed on July 15.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Don't you think the Rangers have already discussed the AHL and Sweden element with AIK/Rogle ?

Pretty sure they covered their bases on that. I wouldn't be worried.

The Rogle GM didn't sound concerned about Kovacs being in the AHL instead of the SHL.

So I'm not worried.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
As I said!

Thrilled!

Kovacs Hayes Miller
Jooris Lindberg Fast

Lets not forget this a kid coming from Europe and not someone playing in Junior Leagues. He can take all the time he needs.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Looking at some 2015 NHL draft stuff

The views of a Swedish hockey blogger

There's been a lot of surprises. Jens Lööke really surprised me in the beginning of the season. That he was going to be able to play at an SHL level so early was a big surprise. Unfortunately his form dropped during the spring and he almost took a step back which was sad to see. Robin Kovacs was also someone who surprised me. If someone had told before the season that he was going to be leading scorer in AIK in Allsvenskan I probably would've laughed, but he really showed that he's grown a player and a person and he looks really promising.

Most underrated i would have to say Sebastian Aho and Robin Kovacs. I was very surprised that Aho was left out in the draft last year and I've jokingly said that every scout should lose their job if he is left out again.

I'm not saying that he will become a leading defenseman but he has all the ingredients to be given a chance. He's not very big but neither is Tobias Enström and they are very similar in the way they play and they way the handle themselves on the ice.

Kovacs is still, in my opinion, very underrated among Swedish players which is strange to me. He's similar to Jakub Vrana who was drafted by Capitals last year, perhaps not as skilled, but he has enough skills to be ranked higher than he is.

http://flamesnation.ca/2015/6/10/nhl-draft-scout-series-sweden

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“The New York Rangers for the third year in a row, had no first-round pick. The Rangers had sent that 2015 first-round selection to Tampa Bay in the trade that brought Marty St. Louis to New York in March of 2014â€, says ISS Hockey Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “Although not having a 1st round pick the Rangers filled some holes in their prospect pool by selecting solid two way forward Ryan Gropp in the 2nd round. Not afraid to go into tough areas to create plays. Excellent wrist shot. After that they added forward depth, selecting versatile winger Robin Kovacs, who possesses good speed and developing skill-set, two-way center Brad Morrison plus play making center Aleksi Saarela who was highly rated at the start of the season but struggled to put it altogether. Another good value pick has to be, Sergey Zborovskiy, big mobile shutdown d-men who should challenge for NHL job after some seasoning in the AHL.â€

http://www.isshockey.com/new-york-rangers-2015-nhl-draft-recap/

Kovacs,Zborovskiy and Morrison were acquired in the Cam Talbot trade. Adam Huska was also in that trade.

Robin Kovacs (AIK IF, SweAl) – He’s not the player that should carry the team but he does at times. Competes with and without the puck, holds his own. Quick release and always a scoring threat.

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-march-release-rising-and-falling/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad