Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Robin Kovacs to 3 year ELC (803K per)

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Apparently Kovacs ELC doesn't slide if he goes back to Europe since he turns 20 this year. So I find it hard to believe the Rangers would sign him unless they knew for sure he'd be playing in Hartford this year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Apparently Kovacs ELC doesn't slide if he goes back to Europe since he turns 20 this year. So I find it hard to believe the Rangers would sign him unless they knew for sure he'd be playing in Hartford this year.

Yeah I didn't know the slide rule didn't include 20yo players.

What is the cutoff for that, since his birthday is in November?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
He must've really impressed in Dev camp considering until now he was a shoe-in to go back to Europe

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Yeah I didn't know the slide rule didn't include 20yo players.

What is the cutoff for that, since his birthday is in November?

If a player turns 20 before Dec. 31st of the year they sign the contract, they aren't eligible for the slide.

KreiderHouseRules*

Bingo.

I think he has a legitimate chance to squeeze onto the Rangers roster. Not many expected Hagelin to be playing in the NHL in his first pro season. He spent 17 dominating games in HFD before being called up.

It's HFD or NYR for Kovacs and as NYR fans, we should all be thrilled about this.

Kovacs, Jooris, Grabner add much needed speed & energy.

Buchnevich will add some much needed offensive skill and puck possession ability.

I feel a little better about this year already.

Imagine a miracle happens and Dan Girardi actually tries to work on some hockey skills during the offseason, like i don't know...skating, shooting the puck or controlling the puck for starters?

Imagine Girardi starts blasting shots on goal and doesn't look like he's playing on one leg and actually has a really good season? That would change the expectations for this season dramatically.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I wouldn't read too much into the signing. Just the front office rewarding him for coming into prospect development camp in great shape and ready to play. He's playing another season in Sweden, they said as much at camp. It's very common practice to sign a player, then loan them back to their overseas league. I think the Rangers did it with Fast, if I'm not mistaken. He still spent another season with HV71 after being signed.

Also, NHL teams only have 2 years to sign overseas players, so they were going to have to sign him eventually anyway. He probably got a nice signing bonus as well. Players can get up to 10% of the total contract value upfront. Looking at the contract details, it looks like Kovacs received almost $300k in signing bonuses ($92,500 for each year of his 3-year ELC). Nice reward for the kid having a good year in Allsvenskan and lighting it up at camp.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Bingo.

I think he has a legitimate chance to squeeze onto the Rangers roster. Not many expected Hagelin to be playing in the NHL in his first pro season. He spent 17 dominating games in HFD before being called up.

It's HFD or NYR for Kovacs and as NYR fans, we should all be thrilled about this.

Kovacs, Jooris, Grabner add much needed speed & energy.

Buchnevich will add some much needed offensive skill and puck possession ability.

I feel a little better about this year already.

Imagine a miracle happens and Dan Girardi actually tries to work on some hockey skills during the offseason, like i don't know...skating, shooting the puck or controlling the puck for starters?

Imagine Girardi starts blasting shots on goal and doesn't look like he's playing on one leg and actually has a really good season? That would change the expectations for this season dramatically.

Hagelin had also completed 4 full years of college hockey and he was 23 years old when he was called up.

Could he be called up mid year? Sure, I suppose. Anything's possible. But as the team is currently constructed up front, I don't see any way he squeezes on to the team unless he really dominates down there and others fail up here.

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Brassard - Zuccarello
Buchnevich - Hayes - Grabner
Gerbe - Jooris - Fast
Lindberg (hurt to start the year), Glass, (unfortunately), Jensen, Hrivik

That's 15 guys (16 if you include Lindberg) up front for 13 spots.

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
I think Gorton has already made his imprint on this team next year. I love this kid. The organizational speed has definitely increased. There is a plan here guys.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Could Kovacs slot in for Grabner on the 3rd, or at least be given a shot? I haven't really kept up with the prospect camp between work and the Mets, but as far as I know Grabner isn't that great? Am I underestimating him?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Kovacs posted a pic on Instagram when he signed his NHL contract

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article23182665.ab

No word on where Kovacs will play

Love his caption:

It's not just a dream, it's for real I have sign my first contract with New York Rangers and thanks for all support from friends, family and specially from @mickerosell ✍#nyrangers #rangers #my****ingwayalltheway

Without the stars of course :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It absolutely blows my mind how little players in the AHL get paid in possibly the 2nd best league in the world. $70k? I know that Hartford is not NY but that's seriously nothing for some of the best athletes in the world. And let's not forget that most can play at most till they're 40.

martinjca

Jul 16, 2016
They signed Stromwall not long ago, who has good chemistry with Kovacs. I can see them develop their game together in Hartford, it seems like the right move as long as Kovacs can play in the AHL and as long as he is there in his development. But it seems like he's there from what I hear. It sounds like the Rangers might like the chemistry between Kovacs and Stromwall. At least it's interesting to see they are both signed and can both possibly play in Hartford after their good year together in Allsvenskan.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Kovacs played in Allsvenskan last season. This year, he's playing in the SHL. Let him go through the progression and make the jump to a tougher league without also having to worry about being dumped into a whole new culture. He can come to the AHL next season, if he's ready. No need to rush the kid.

Stromwall is a couple years older. It's now or never for him coming to NA.

BigB22

Sep 22, 2012
I wouldn't read too much into the signing. Just the front office rewarding him for coming into prospect development camp in great shape and ready to play. He's playing another season in Sweden, they said as much at camp. It's very common practice to sign a player, then loan them back to their overseas league. I think the Rangers did it with Fast, if I'm not mistaken. He still spent another season with HV71 after being signed.

Also, NHL teams only have 2 years to sign overseas players, so they were going to have to sign him eventually anyway. He probably got a nice signing bonus as well. Players can get up to 10% of the total contract value upfront. Looking at the contract details, it looks like Kovacs received almost $300k in signing bonuses ($92,500 for each year of his 3-year ELC). Nice reward for the kid having a good year in Allsvenskan and lighting it up at camp.

The most recent CBA changed rights to players drafted out of European leagues to 4 years, that's why Buch was able to sign his just 2 months ago, 3 years after he was drafted.

The Rangers did sign Fast and loan him back to HV71 and it did burn a year off his ELC. Same with Lindberg. Kovacs could certainly do the same but I think there is a decent chance he stays in North America with Stromwall already here waiting. Let's hope so, it would mean a 1 year jump in his development.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
They signed Stromwall not long ago, who has good chemistry with Kovacs. I can see them develop their game together in Hartford, it seems like the right move as long as Kovacs can play in the AHL and as long as he is there in his development. But it seems like he's there from what I hear. It sounds like the Rangers might like the chemistry between Kovacs and Stromwall. At least it's interesting to see they are both signed and can both possibly play in Hartford after their good year together in Allsvenskan.

I think this is the case that I'd like to see. Get him playing in the AHL.

He's played against men, needs to take a leap to a tougher men's league. Question now is whether that's the SHL or the AHL.

I'd put him in the AHL right away. Let him use his speed. Get to learn the smaller ice. See how his speed and tenacity are assets in this league.

Biggest sleeper in the prospect pool IMO.

His skating ability, and a need for speed at the NHL could carve out a quicker path for him.

IMO he's a guy that is a few shades shy of Hagelin's speed, but brings some Brad Marchand like swagger out there on the ice.

Let's make HFD great again.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Great that they signed him, but he will be heading back to Europe. If his season ends early, maybe they bring him over for a small taste of NA hockey and hopefully playoff AHL hockey

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sweden is part of the transfer agreement. As long as the NHL team follows the rules,they can sign a player under contract. The Russians are not part of the agreement. July 15 is one of the deadlines.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Sweden is part of the transfer agreement. As long as the NHL team follows the rules,they can sign a player under contract. The Russians are not part of the agreement. July 15 is one of the deadlines.

correct. the above is all true.

i would like to see this kid have a shot in camp.

he's got alot to offer but most of all the willingness to shoot it and the ability to score from all over the ice.

this team isnt real deep in high end offensive prospects but this kid is one of the top kids we have.

if he gets a season in hartford, i would expect him on the roster the following year.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Really love the swagger this kid brings to the ice. Looking forward to seeing him take another step forward this year. Certainly the best forward on the ice at prospect camp from what I've read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad